• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of Nintendo's franchises do you personally care for?

NMFried

Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus

Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart

Mario RPGs (Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario)
Metroid
Mother
Nintendo Wars (Advance Wars, Batallion Wars etc.)

Pokémon
Punch-Out
Puzzle League

Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Pushmo/Pullblox

Rembrandt

Banned
Mario, DK, MK and SSB.

Pokémon occasionally. I end up buying the games eventually but idk what's the last one I actually finished.

Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Pokémon
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart

That's a lot of franchises, honestly.

Animal Crossing is the only one I consistently enjoy. Others, like Mario and Zelda, occasionally have a game that interests me but it's rare.

psyfi

Banned
A lot. Zelda is the biggest, then Metroid, then Mario, F-Zero, and Advance Wars in no particular order.

Agent_J

The reasons I will buy a Nintendo system:
Zelda
Metroid
Mario (2D or 3D)
Mario Kart

Just these franchises alone justify the cost of a new Nintendo system. Anything else is a bonus.

Gartooth

I would consider myself a fan of all of their major franchises. Even the B and C tiers like Star Fox, Kid Icarus, and Xenoblade all have games I really like. The ones that make my top tier are the system sellers like Mario, Zelda, and Smash.

darklin0

Banned
I enjoy all of these. The thing is, I wont buy a console until Zelda or Smash come out for it.
For handhelds though, I'll get it when Pokemon or Animal Crossing come out.

Animal Crossing
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Metroid
Mother
Pikmin
Pokémon
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Pushmo/Pullblox
Xenoblade
Sin & Punishment

The Big N

Banned
Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Platformers like 64/Sunshine, and Luigi's Mansion ironically.

Zelda is my favorite franchise, so Nintendo will always get money from me as long as they continue to treat the series well.

Tanoooki

Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart.

I'm slowly building a bigger appreciation for Fire Emblem while my fondness for Smash Bros and Pokemon is beginning to dwindle.

I'm a big fan of Advance Wars but I've given up on expecting a new one. Fire Emblem has taken it's place in my heart.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Personally I adore 3D Super Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. For all intents and purposes, these three names are why I spend money on Nintendo consoles.

I like you, op. These are precisely the main games that are my weakness in wanting to 1) buy Nintendo consoles and 2) really caring about Nintendo enough to begin with.

All their other franchises like: Donkey Kong, Starfox, Kirby, Metroid, FE, etc. I like them, and they're fairly solid, good, maybe even great games, but I would never buy a Nintendo system for any of them like I would with mainline console Mario, Zelda, and SSB.

Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Mother
*Nintendo Wars (Advance Wars, Batallion Wars etc.)
Splatoon
*Xenoblade

* next most important

Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart
Pokémon
Splatoon
Yoshi

My relationship with Nintendo's really weird, now that I think about it.

-I own both F-Zero GBA games, but have never been impressed with the franchise overall.

-I own Zero Mission, Pinball, and Fusion, and have really enjoyed them all, but the recent lack of Metroid doesn't bug me one bit. I haven't even played Prime despite owning it for darn near a decade.

-I like Mario, but the 3D games never clicked with me (yes, even 64), and I prefer Sonic, DK, and Yoshi much more.

-Never played Earthbound, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, etc. I know I should start, especially with Zelda, but I just haven't.

-Canvas Curse is the only Kirby game I've really played, and I just recently got into that after I bought it for my sister (turns out she didn't care for it).

-Even my Fire Emblem fandom's recent, as Awakening both introduced and hooked me.

-Smash is cool, but doesn't quite scratch my fighting game itch.

-I find the Mario Sports series, including the Party games, to be extremely hit or miss.

Yet with all that, I still find more reason to go with Nintendo these days. I'm more likely to get XB1 or PS4 as a "secondary system", as the only things I really feel like I'm missing out on are fighting games (I love them) and a few indies. Most of what excites fans in the industry today doesn't interest me much at all, especially aesthetically. Name any of the big releases in the last decade, and I can assure you, I haven't played a good chunk of them.

Perhaps it's my tendency to dig fairly deep into retro systems and games that explains things. I'll usually find myself playing some obscure/lesser known game rather than the heavy hitters. That even applies to the franchises I'm a fan of. Or maybe it's the fact that my consoles always end up playing second fiddle to my handhelds. For most of my childhood, it was just the GBC and SNES, with PS2 and GBA SP coming much later. I dunno what is, really.

Everything except Pokémon, Fire Emblem and the mainline Animal Crossing games.

Yeah I actually definitely enjoyed first-party games on Wii U then 3DS.

JulianImp

Of that list I'd say F-Zero, Golden Sun, Metroid, Mother, Nintendo Wars, Pilotwings, Punch-Out, Star Fox and Sin & Punishment are pretty unlikely to get new games anytime soon. Especially Golden Sun, Metroid and Starfox, which commited suicide with the latest games in their respective franchises.

Personally, I like Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid and Mario the most, and wish we'd get a new Advance Wars game since I liked those a lot more than Fire Emblem (something about disposeable units makes them a lot more appealing to me than hating the RNG's guts for getting unique units killed by unlicky critical hits or untimely misses.

Interesting thread.

It may be atypical but I usually buy Nintendo Systems for exclusive third party games. The WiiU is the first Nintendo system which I bought more Nintendo games for than third party ones; the WiiU is my first Nintendo home console since the SNES. My collection of DS and 3DS games is full of third party titles; I can actually count with the fingers of one hand how many Nintendo games I own for each system.

If I have to tell you how I fell about the Nintendo franchises listed in the OP I guess it'd go like this:

I love these:

Kid Icarus
The Legend of Zelda
Mother
Splatoon
Xenoblade
Sin & Punishment

I like these although I don't mind if I miss the chance to play them:

Kirby
Advance Wars, Batallion Wars
Pokémon
Super Smash Bros.
Golden Sun
Metroid
Pikmin

Don't really care about these:

Animal Crossing
Brain Age
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Sports
Pilotwings
Punch-Out
Puzzle League
Star Fox
Pushmo/Pullblox

Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and Pokemon. The only time I've played a game with Mario, Kirby or Zelda is in smash, and even then I didn't care for it.

StarPhlox

Not that many I guess, but the ones that I do care about I love pretty much more than any other series in games:

-Donkey Kong
-Star Fox
-Metroid
-Zelda
-Mario
-...And sure Kirby too

F-Zero
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Mario RPGs (Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario) - in theory this should interest me, but somehow Nintendo makes these horrible games that feel liek a chore to play with TONS of useless text that drones on & on.
Metroid
Pokémon
Punch-Out.

Mostly just Zelda and 3D Mario(64 style) titles though.

Future

It's pretty simple. All the big ones

Mario
Mario kart
Zelda

If I have the system I will probably get

Fire emblem

And if they bother

Advance wars
F zero

Nameless

Just Metroid, Zelda, and Xenoblade. Though I could also be persuaded to get hype for a new Golden Sun now that it wouldn't be handheld only.

Animal Crossing
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Mother
Punch-Out
Splatoon
Pushmo/Pullblox

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
1. Metroid
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. F-Zero
4. Super Mario
5. Wave Race
6. 1080 Snowboarding
7. Excite
8. Fire Emblem
9. Advance Wars
10. WarioWare
11. Super Smash Bros.
12. Star Fox
13. Mario Kart
14. Punch Out
15. Kid Icarus
16. Panel De Pon
17. Pikmin
18. Rhythm Tengoku
19. Golden Sun
20. Wario Land

All of them!

Yeah, this.

This question is weird to me (even replacing Nintendo with any other game maker). I don't see a logo then go "ah this is a game not catered to my tastes based on past experience so I will not play it." I generally just play games that look fun, which describes nearly all of the Nintendo titles I see (not all). I get not being into a series in general, but that's a pretty easy way to miss out on great games. Opinions and all, but it's pretty difficult to get me to "personally not care for" a game or series.

Rathorial

Not too many Nintendo franchises grab me that much. I'm not even big on 2d Zelda or 2d Mario, they just don't do anything for me, even if I think they're well made.

Smash Bros., 3D Zelda and 3D Mario are the main ones I tend to consume from them.

Splatoon and Xenoblade I like to a lesser extent, but they're fun enough. Same with Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. I'll take another first-person Metroid too.

I'd like to see Nintendo this gen do more new IP like they did with Splatoon. Arms looks like a good start, but I hope they do more than just sequels, and if they do sequels change them up to the extent Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Breath of the Wild have.

Key2001

Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Metroid
Mother
Pokémon
Star Fox
Xenoblade

Most of the franchises not listed I never really given much of a chance or it has been so long since I played one that I am not sure if I'd still enjoy them or not. I will probably give many of them a try with the Switch though.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
A lot of them.

Mario (mainline)
Mario Kart
Mario RPGs (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi--like the older games, but losing interest in the newer ones)
Wario Land
WarioWare
Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Pokemon
F-Zero (RIP)
Mother / EarthBound
Super Smash Bros.
Golden Sun (didn't care as much for Dark Dawn, but it was OK)
Animal Crossing (though I'm starting to lose interest in this one)
Advance Wars (RIP)
Fire Emblem
Punch-Out!!
Rhythm Heaven
Splatoon

Scaredem

Banned
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Metroid
Mother
Star Fox
Xenoblade

Zyrox

Hmm, I care about:
Mario (3D, Kart, RPGs, Strikers)
Zelda
Pokémon
Kirby
Smash Bros.
Fucking Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus
Animal Crossing
F-Zero (T_T)
And, of course, Xenoblade

Quite a lot. They certainly got me, heh.

Siege.exe

Yeah, this.

This question is weird to me (even replacing Nintendo with any other game maker). I don't see a logo then go "ah this is a game not catered to my tastes based on past experience so I will not play it." I generally just play games that look fun, which describes nearly all of the Nintendo titles I see (not all). I get not being into a series in general, but that's a pretty easy way to miss out on great games. Opinions and all, but it's pretty difficult to get me to "personally not care for" a game or series.

Eh, is it missing out if it's something you know you don't/won't enjoy? Not like you have to go out of your way to not particularly care for something.

Yeah, this.

Me too. I don't get it. I forgot about Advance Wars too, but for me why I'm not caring for it, is because I'm just mad I still haven't beat the game yet. FUCK STURM!

From that list:

Animal Crossing
Brain Age
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Metroid
Mother
Pikmin
Pilotwings
Pokémon
Punch-Out
Puzzle League
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon

I've never played a Golden Sun game, or Pushmo, or Xenoblade.

Top Bottom