• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Show me the way... I'm at a loss for having ringtones on this thing that aren't obnoxious.

Ok...

plug in the phone on the computer via USB, look for the folder "music" and dump any mp3s.

go to the phones settings -> sound -> ringtones. On the upper right hand corner theres a + sign, click on that and it should take you to a the "music" folder ...then pick the Mp3....easy peasy..

I have metal gear solid codec as a ringtone...cuz i'm sick like that.

Purexed

Banned
Ok...

plug in the phone on the computer via USB, look for the folder "music" and dump any mp3s.

go to the phones settings -> sound -> ringtones. On the upper right hand corner theres a + sign, click on that and it should take you to a the "music" folder ...then pick the Mp3....easy peasy..

I have metal gear solid codec as a ringtone...cuz i'm sick like that.

Someone hand this man a beer, thanks for the tip. Admittedly, I'm still a noob with Android.

RoKKeR

As an iOS lifer to some degree, having owned every edition of the iPhone, I decided to take a chance on HTC One. A couple years back, I sold my iPhone for the HTC Evo, but I returned it within a week because the App situation on the Android store was pathetic. Overall, I'm very happy with the phone, but there's some annoying elements that hopefully see patches.

Pros:
  • That 4.7" 1080P Screen is legit, and the sharpest view I've ever seen on a phone.
  • Build quality is close to Apple.
  • Speakers are S rank material.
  • Front and Rear Cameras are sharp and packed full of features.
  • Zoes are the shit.
  • Fast WIFI and LTE from AT&T
  • HTC's Sync Master Software is brilliant. Within an hour, my iPhone 5's contacts, photos, and text messages were transferred over successfully.
  • TV Remote functionality is simple to set up and use.
  • Great connective tissue of Google's platforms with LinkedIn and Facebook.
  • Swiftkey app for keyboard options.
  • Useful Set of Widgets

Cons
  • Software bugs. Text messages that were imported would appear and disappear, and at times, crash my messaging app.
  • Speaking of software, still can't find a Podcast app nearly as good as InstaCast.
  • BlinkFeed is limited in available sources.
  • Doesn't play well at all with my Altima's USB connection.
  • Battery is not as good as the iPhone 5.
  • Takes FOREVER to fully charge the HTC One.

Overall I'm planning on keeping the phone unless there is a large consensus in the tech sites that S4 is better. Android is an interesting platform, and it's been fun discovering what I've been missing out on. Just wanted to chime in as an Apple guy crossing over.
Great post, thanks for the impressions as an Apple convert. It's very enticing...might have to pull the trigger once I enter my upgrade period in May.

It finally arrived, and I've already encountered my first issue. HTC Sync Manager doesn't seem to be detecting my phone so the "More" part is grayed out and I can't setup my phone. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I'm on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop.

Can you set custom SMS notification sounds for individual contacts or do you need an app for that? I see the option to set the ringtone for a contact but not for SMS.

It finally arrived, and I've already encountered my first issue. HTC Sync Manager doesn't seem to be detecting my phone so the "More" part is grayed out and I can't setup my phone. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I'm on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop.

go to setting -> Developer option and then click on USB debugging.

try that out

Achtius

Does the HTC One have a quick silent/vibrate function? I guess I use the volume rocker..lol

the phone is so beautiful...I need a case/screen protector :O

KingRAW

Neo Member
Does the HTC One have a quick silent/vibrate function? I guess I use the volume rocker..lol

the phone is so beautiful...I need a case/screen protector :O

Just hit the rocker once and when the level bar appears, tap the phone icon on the left. This will put the phone on silent.

RoKKeR

I came home today and pretty much researched nonstop. Conclusion: I think I'm going to do it. Ditch the iPhone 5 and jump on the One. The build quality, design, screen, camera features, and OS are not only great but new and exciting for somebody who has been an exclusive iPhone user for years now. It also looks to be the best Android phone on the market right now, (I really dislike Galaxy) so I see it as a perfect place to jump in.

Any thoughts on what the best way is to get rid of the iPhone while making some cash? Is that Gazelle service legitimate? I did a GameStop trade in for my 4 which was nice and convenient, though it felt undervalued.

I came home today and pretty much researched nonstop. Conclusion: I think I'm going to do it. Ditch the iPhone 5 and jump on the One. The build quality, design, screen, camera features, and OS are not only great but new and exciting for somebody who has been an exclusive iPhone user for years now. It also looks to be the best Android phone on the market right now, (I really dislike Galaxy) so I see it as a perfect place to jump in.

Any thoughts on what the best way is to get rid of the iPhone while making some cash? Is that Gazelle service legitimate? I did a GameStop trade in for my 4 which was nice and convenient, though it felt undervalued.

What about trying here on GAF? I usually do well selling most of my stuff here :)

I would do that but I just can't bare to see this sexy thang scratched. I'm a careful mofo but there are still so many instances it will get scratched if I took the case off :-/
neverrrrrrrr. Well I guess I'm too spoiled to put myself in anyone else's position considering I can upgrade every year. If I didn't and it got a noticeable scratch 6 months from now it would kind of suck :p

Either way, if you're careful I don't think it's needed.

DO NOT gazelle an iphone. Apple products have GREAT resale value. Just sell it on GAF or some other forum that does buying/selling.

neverrrrrrrr. Well I guess I'm too spoiled to put myself in anyone else's position considering I can upgrade every year. If I didn't and it got a noticeable scratch 6 months from now it would kind of suck :p

Either way, if you're careful I don't think it's needed.

Lol, well, I'm stuck with mine for 2 years :p

Trust me, I'm very careful when it comes to my gadgets. There are a lot of instances though where my phone can potentially get scratched:

-Taking it out of my pocket (metal buttons can scratch it)
-Laying it/picking it up off a hard surface
-Placing it in a little holder compartment in my car when I drive
-Or just flat out dropping it by sheer accident, no matter how careful

I don't take chances :D

sfedai0

Banned
This phone is so tempting as my first smartphone....but my worry is that it may make my tablet obsolete, mostly cause I hate redundancies among my tech toys.

Hmm...I have a Nexus 4 on AT&T right now.

I have an upgrade available, so I can get the HTC One...

Any Nexus 4 owners move to this?

What do you guys think?

Also, you can still keep the grandfathered plan with AT&T right?

VoxPop

4fmpGNM.jpg

first world problems lol

VoxPop

Do the set up first.

Dev version ..unless your getting subsidize on Att and you got it cheaper.

Yup decided to keep the dev version. I'm just hoping they don't give me issues at the AT&T store when I return the att version since I opened it and used it till now. The dev version was actually about $80 cheaper cause of tax.

Top Bottom