• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Trouble

Banned
Dat LTE

Never got over 3gbps up or down with HSPA+

bRBvn6l.jpg

Nameless

I needed a phone ASAP after my Atrix crapped out. The plan was to test drive the One for the week and return it for the Galaxy S4. 36 hours later I have no desire to own a GS4. The Queen's English simply lacks the words to accurately describe what a joy this device is to hold and to look at.

Early reviews of the battery-life soured me a bit on the phone, but using it, I'm pleasantly surprised. 40% charged out of the box and it took 5 hours of steady use with power-saver to kill it(downloading apps & ring tones over wi-fi & LTE, browsing, an hour+ of talk, some texting and video playback). I Charged it fully at around 10pm, turned power-saver off, and used it for about 90 minutes before bed. After being on standby over night and some light usage in the morning the phone was at 83% when I got to work. 4 1/2 straight hours of streaming podcasts over LTE via Sticher with a fair amount of texting and web browsing(Mondays) and I got the low battery signal once the phone hit 15%. Mind you power-saver was off this entire time.

-Really enjoying Blinkfeed. Being able to quickly filter sources & topics makes it more efficient than visiting individual websites for certain information. Some really really good photos too.

-Speakers or headphones, the audio is superb. Dicking around I went to HBO Go and started up Prometheus. Quite frankly I was shocked how impactful the sound was coming out of these speakers. Most phones yield a garbled and distorted mess at high volumes but the One excels.

-IR Blaster works great. The TV remote is responsive and incredibly easy to set up. This actually has come in quite handy since I broke my remote months ago.

I'm still in the process of personalizing everything to my liking and learning the ins & out of Sense, but this is probably just the best(certainly the most beautiful) phone I've ever owned.

kitch9

Banned
Here's the top and bottom of my HTC One -

top - http://i.imgur.com/ke1tx9S.jpg

bottom - http://i.imgur.com/1q15nIa.jpg

The top one bothers me a bit.. the plastic protrudes just a very tiny bit from underneath the top speaker grill.

It's entirely possible that I'm being too picky, though. Compared to some of the others I've seen, though.. mine seems practically perfect.

Stay away from XDA!

Its a bunch of anal retentive phone overlords with no concept of sense.

Stay away from XDA!

Its a bunch of anal retentive phone overlords with no concept of sense.

Too late, I live on that forum when it comes to android devices.

I can see their point, though.. $600 is a lot of money for a device. Why should anyone put up with a defective device?

It seems that mine is better than a lot of the ones people have posted, but it still isn't perfect.

I'm not sure if there exists a perfect HTC One without any of these assembly issues, but part of me sure would like to find one.

Right.

Yellow screens on iPhone 4s. Pink blotches on the Galaxy S4 screen. Scuffs on the iPhone 5. Stuff rubbing onto the One X.

I guess it's fun to shit on whatever company (is it? is it really?), but QC on these devices must be a huge pain in the ass.

QC on pretty much anything is worst at launch.

i'm pretty sure there have been people on GAF who went through like 6 Galaxy Nexus's because it wasn't absolutely perfect

i remember one person in one of the Nexus threads went thru six units and the first one was perfect, but the seal was broken so they sent it back for a sealed one. and the next four all had some sort of issue.

The first scratch on your phone = feels like the end of your life. Feeling goes away after a week though.

less than a week. but that first few hours, oh man! i know i'm gonna cry on the first scuff on my Note 2.

Here's the top and bottom of my HTC One -

top - http://i.imgur.com/ke1tx9S.jpg

bottom - http://i.imgur.com/1q15nIa.jpg

The top one bothers me a bit.. the plastic protrudes just a very tiny bit from underneath the top speaker grill.

It's entirely possible that I'm being too picky, though. Compared to some of the others I've seen, though.. mine seems practically perfect.

indeed. don't risk it! that one looks fine.

Addnan

The one thing I am very happy with is that the audio quality is good, so much better than what I had with the S3 and got rid of as a result. Comparable to the 4S. Don't use stock headphones though, they are very bad.

Not on LTE, but my 3G seems to be quite a bit faster on this than on the iphone.
67sDbsal.jpg

kharma45

The one thing I am very happy with is that the audio quality is good, so much better than what I had with the S3 and got rid of as a result. Comparable to the 4S. Don't use stock headphones though, they are very bad.

Not on LTE, but my 3G seems to be quite a bit faster on this than on the iphone.
http://i.imgur.com/67sDbsal.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Probably because you've got DC-HSDPA which your 4S couldn't do.

reKon

Banned
I need a good car kitery thingy >.<

You get one of those free with t mobile if you're in the US.

Question: for those of you running Nova Launcher instead of sense 5, does sense 5 and blinkfeed still have to run in the background, using data?

I'm still trying to figure something out and hopefully someone can help me on this.

I've owned a Samsung Epic 4G for a while now and -- for whatever reasons -- it occasionally freezes up from time to time such that the only way to get it to respond is to for a hard reset by removing the battery.

My wife and I are both very interested in the One, but I do have some anxiety about not being able to remove the battery to reboot it.

Is there a way to hard reset this device?

Addnan

I'm still trying to figure something out and hopefully someone can help me on this.

I've owned a Samsung Epic 4G for a while now and -- for whatever reasons -- it occasionally freezes up from time to time such that the only way to get it to respond is to for a hard reset by removing the battery.

My wife and I are both very interested in the One, but I do have some anxiety about not being able to remove the battery to reboot it.

Is there a way to hard reset this device?
If you hold down the power button for 10seconds it restarts. Youc an also factory reset with the volume down and power button.
http://www.htc.com/sea/support/howt...one#GUID-BF7A343E-3E2F-497A-B1B4-DAAE014D32D2
http://www.htc.com/sea/support/howto.aspx?p_id=610&id=333199&p_name=htc-one

this_guy

well HTC no longer has access to the chip as the company selling it to them can't sell it to them anymore. It's highly possible HTC didn't even know this was the same chip Nokia contracted this company to make. It is interesting how it will effect future Ones'.

Shouldn't HTC be able to sue STMicroelectronics for not being able to fulfill their contract? HTC isn't in the wrong here, STMicroelectronics is.

Anyone familiar with the Spigen Ultra Thin Air cases? http://www.spigen.com/htc-one-case-ultra-thin-air.html

Not usually a case guy, but If the OG Iphone was any indication that aluminum backing will get scuffed to shit over time sharing pockets with keys & change. This case actually seems to accentuate the personality of the phone instead of entombing it like so many others.

I saw that and it looks really good but they're not available yet and I needed something to be here by the time I got my phone. So I ended up with something similar and half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW18HPW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Anyone familiar with the Spigen Ultra Thin Air cases? http://www.spigen.com/htc-one-case-ultra-thin-air.html

Not usually a case guy, but If the OG Iphone was any indication that aluminum backing will get scuffed to shit over time sharing pockets with keys & change. This case actually seems to accentuate the personality of the phone instead of entombing it like so many others.

I saw that and it looks really good but they're not available yet and I needed something to be here by the time I got my phone. So I ended up with something similar and half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW18HPW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have one of these along with the Nilikin and HTC manycolors case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BVWJ94E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Bear Motion has a rougher, sandy texture, while the Nilikin is smoother.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just realized that because this phone has an Infrared receiver, there's capability beyond just using it as a TV remote and such. You could develop a frequency/police radar detector, for example.

BFIB

Crap. My Sprint store has them in stock, wonder if I should just bite the bullet and get one now?

I have my GS3 listed on Craigslist, but no hits yet.

Marco1

I really wish the galaxyS4 wasn't coming out as I would definitely have this phone. HTC deserve a comeback with this phone.

I really wish the galaxyS4 wasn't coming out as I would definitely have this phone. HTC deserve a comeback with this phone.

I was planning in skipping the One and going for the S4, then I decided to get both the One and the S4, now that I have the One my desire and excitement on getting the S4 is kinda gone.

The phone just looks and feels so good. it just feels so solid and light in the hand..feel so premium.

reKon

Banned
This may be the first phone that really gets the attention of iPhone only users because the design is that good, it's currently one of the fastest phones next to the SG IV, and it actually does very noticeable things better than the iPhone. Usually people would have to dig into the camera to be able to see the Zoe features and how the camera takes low light shots. But, with HTC One phones available at stores, people can admire the strong design, test the speed, and see blink-feed in action, which may be cool and interesting for them because they they're not use to something instantaneously resourceful on the homepage of their iPhone. The big screen helps with this too. Also, being able to listen to how it sounds is one of those things that people would easily be able to do in stores and hopefully if HTC advertises right, then people will know that the speaker stereo is something that no other phone they've seen has.

reKon

Banned
I was planning in skipping the One and going for the S4, then I decided to get both the One and the S4, now that I have the One my desire and excitement on getting the S4 is kinda gone.

The phone just looks and feels so good. it just feels so solid and light in the hand..feel so premium.

Lol, did you ever own an iPhone?

Anyone know any way of streaming zoe highlight videos onto an Xbox or ps3? I've tried twonky and it only plays the first second. I've tried uploading it to dropbox first but it uploads about 200 seperate frames and I've tried saving it as a video and using twonky and the same issue.

They should make it way easier than this. I dont necessarily want to slap it up on facebook or Twitter.

Lol, did you ever own an iPhone?

yes I had...all of them. From my previous post, I compared the built quality of the One and the Iphone 5...I think the Iphone 5 had a slightly better built quality.

I had almost all version of the iphones, galaxy S2, GSM Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Galaxy S3 and nokia pureview 808.

The One is the best overall complete package so far....well maybe HTC should have stick to a regular mega pixel camera...but the ultra pixel is alright.

Ok I'm bored..I'll do a ranking on the phone I had

performance: One > Iphone 5 > S3 > OneX, S2 > GNex >>>>>>>Pureview 808
Built quality: Iphone 5 > One >Pureview 808 > S3 > One X > Gnex > S2
In hand feel: One > S3> Iphone 5 > pureview 808 > gnex > One X > S2
Screen: One > One X > Iphone 5 > S3 > gnex > S2 > pureview 808
Camera: Pureview 808 > Iphone 5 > S3 > One > One X > S2 > Gnex
Battery: Iphone 5 & One > the rest
Speaker: One > pureview 808 > the rest
looks: One > Iphone 5 > Gnex > One X > purevie 808 > S3 > S2

RoKKeR

So, TechGAF, help me out here. I've been an Apple/iPhone use for years now, and haven't really thought twice about changing phones. But with the buzz surrounding the One and the Z, I've sort of perked up to the idea of ditching the iPhone and getting an Android phone.

My issue is, however, is that my entire setup is based around Apple. Now it's not as ridiculous as some Apple fanatics, but I've got my phone, Mac, iTunes library, etc., all synced up and have been doing so without issues for years. This 'Apple ecosystem' of course is one of Apple's biggest pluses, (IMO) so I'm nervous about moving away from it.

My question for you guys is, as somebody who has been only an Apple dude for years, could I make a smooth transition to Android for the phone side of things? I've seen the iPhone to HTC One content transfers, and I really have anything that I can't live without that is exclusive to iPhone.

Perhaps it's just a need for a change of scenery, as I've been glued to those Apple app rows for years now, so any advice/thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Purexed

Banned
As an iOS lifer to some degree, having owned every edition of the iPhone, I decided to take a chance on HTC One. A couple years back, I sold my iPhone for the HTC Evo, but I returned it within a week because the App situation on the Android store was pathetic. Overall, I'm very happy with the phone, but there's some annoying elements that hopefully see patches.

Pros:
  • That 4.7" 1080P Screen is legit, and the sharpest view I've ever seen on a phone.
  • Build quality is close to Apple.
  • Speakers are S rank material.
  • Front and Rear Cameras are sharp and packed full of features.
  • Zoes are the shit.
  • Fast WIFI and LTE from AT&T
  • HTC's Sync Master Software is brilliant. Within an hour, my iPhone 5's contacts, photos, and text messages were transferred over successfully.
  • TV Remote functionality is simple to set up and use.
  • Great connective tissue of Google's platforms with LinkedIn and Facebook.
  • Swiftkey app for keyboard options.
  • Useful Set of Widgets

Cons
  • Software bugs. Text messages that were imported would appear and disappear, and at times, crash my messaging app.
  • Speaking of software, still can't find a Podcast app nearly as good as InstaCast.
  • BlinkFeed is limited in available sources.
  • Doesn't play well at all with my Altima's USB connection.
  • Battery is not as good as the iPhone 5.
  • Takes FOREVER to fully charge the HTC One.

Overall I'm planning on keeping the phone unless there is a large consensus in the tech sites that S4 is better. Android is an interesting platform, and it's been fun discovering what I've been missing out on. Just wanted to chime in as an Apple guy crossing over.

So, TechGAF, help me out here. I've been an Apple/iPhone use for years now, and haven't really thought twice about changing phones. But with the buzz surrounding the One and the Z, I've sort of perked up to the idea of ditching the iPhone and getting an Android phone.

My issue is, however, is that my entire setup is based around Apple. Now it's not as ridiculous as some Apple fanatics, but I've got my phone, Mac, iTunes library, etc., all synced up and have been doing so without issues for years. This 'Apple ecosystem' of course is one of Apple's biggest pluses, (IMO) so I'm nervous about moving away from it.

My question for you guys is, as somebody who has been only an Apple dude for years, could I make a smooth transition to Android for the phone side of things? I've seen the iPhone to HTC One content transfers, and I really have anything that I can't live without that is exclusive to iPhone.

Perhaps it's just a need for a change of scenery, as I've been glued to those Apple app rows for years now, so any advice/thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I'm making the transition as soon as my phone arrives today. One thing that really helps is that HTC has a manager for your computer that allows you to transfer a lot of your content from your iPhone to the HTC One. All you do is do one last backup through iTunes of your iPhone, run the program and it will let you select your backup and transfer stuff like contacts, bookmarks, photos, videos, calendars and surprisingly all your sms, mms, and even iMessage conversations.

Top Bottom