• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

vdlow

I want to get this phone over the S4, but I heard the camera sucks. Any updates that improved it?

It is worse than S4's camera in some place, but it's better in others. There's a lot of comparisons out there on the web, you can see and judge for yourself.

Camera is perfect for Facebook and instagram. The front facing camera is wide angle so you can fit a lot of background in the pictures while taking selfies. Its a feature that I'm really surprise about.

Also I just found out if you go into the gallery edit mode under "effects" and keep hold of the "no effect" button, you can control every part of the picture you want such as white balance, contrast, sharpness and saturation.

Why they hid it like that I don't know.

snack

Okay so a friend is selling their 64gb bnib developer edition htc one for 500 Canadian. Decent deal? And what's the difference between that edition and a normal htc one?

snack

How is the Sense Interface? I'm coming from a stock nexus 4 and the interface was nice. Thinking about installing custom rom like cm10 or pa, what do you guys think?

Ceebs

Ordered a Diztonic case for mine and pretty happy with with. They sent me a code for 10% off from their store on Amazon as well so if anyone wants to use it:

Promo Code: YYAA9ARG

How is the Sense Interface? I'm coming from a stock nexus 4 and the interface was nice. Thinking about installing custom rom like cm10 or pa, what do you guys think?

well with the htc one google edition coming out it won't be long until you can get stock on your phone but sense has very much improved in most areas. It's pretty minimalist.

Jedi2016

I'm running a launcher on mine, so I can't really tell what's Sense and what's not. I have no special love for any particular interface, the only reason I stuck with a Sense-based ROM is so I could still have full functionality of the camera (some of the camera's functions are dependent on several components that only exist in Sense).

I'm running a launcher on mine, so I can't really tell what's Sense and what's. I have no special love for any particular interface, the only reason I stuck with a Sense-based ROM is so I could still have full functionality of the camera (some of the camera's functions are dependent on several components that only exist in Sense).

Seem like 3rd party launcher aren't as smooth, thats one reason I stopped using Nova/apex launcher. Plus i do like blinkfeed, a feature that I thought I would hate and never use in the beginning.

I came in to a great surprise this morning.

I had ordered a Poetic Atmosphere case at the beginning of May only to discover that it had a design flaw that blocked the IR blaster. It wasn't a big deal for me. I cut out the button that blocked the blaster. It was a little difficult to reach the screen on button but not a deal breaker. Other than that, I really like the look and feel of this case.

This morning, I came into my office to find a package sitting on my desk. It was the updated Poetic Atmosphere case with the design fix for the IR blaster. Never asked for it. Never complained. They shipped it anyways.

That's damn good service.

Not just deliver that 4.2.2 update.

ordered this phone when it was $99 on amazon. can't wait to get it friday. my gs2 is showing its age and i'm tired of being stuck on 3g. always loved HTC phones ever since my first android was one and i've been samsung ever since.

when i sell my gs2, what all should i wipe? the dalvik, cache, then factory reset?

PSA: If you purchased an HTC One, get $25 Google play store credit for free! Ends July 15th 2013. SIGN UP NOW!

I did nearly the same thing, except I went to a Best Buy on Friday and had them pricematch the Amazon promo. I came from an AT&T GS2 (the i777), and this thing freakin' flies.

Also, as much as I was flashing ROMs on my S2 (I tried SHOStock, but realize I really didn't like Touchwiz; and cycled between CM, AOKP, and then PACMan before getting the HTC One), I'm staying on Sense for now. I actually kinda like Blinkfeed, and Sense is a lot more usable than Touchwiz for me. It was a bit weird to go back to 4.1.2 JB after using 4.2.2 ROMs so much, but it's not been as painful as I thought.

Keeping my semi-busted (I don't think anyone will really buy a phone that doesn't have a working power button) as an absolute emergency backup, or a smaller-than-tablet game device for my kids. Though, if I were to sell it, I would wipe dalvik, cache, and for extra measure, format the internal SD card to get rid of other stuff (downloads, leftover folders, that aren't touched by a /data or /system wipe that a factory reset does etc). I would then reflash a ROM from the external SD card after wiping the internal one.

Thanks for the pointer to the Play Store credit promo.

BFIB

ordered this phone when it was $99 on amazon. can't wait to get it friday. my gs2 is showing its age and i'm tired of being stuck on 3g. always loved HTC phones ever since my first android was one and i've been samsung ever since.

when i sell my gs2, what all should i wipe? the dalvik, cache, then factory reset?

PSA: If you purchased an HTC One, get $25 Google play store credit for free! Ends July 15th 2013. SIGN UP NOW!

Nice! Thanks for the link. FF IV here I come!

Just got another HTC One in the mail from a competition. Already selling this bad boy for $400 tonight. Should receive my third by the end of June. Probably gonna sell that one for $500

Not sure if this is going to work in Canada. It accepted my entry though.

bcl0328

I did nearly the same thing, except I went to a Best Buy on Friday and had them pricematch the Amazon promo. I came from an AT&T GS2 (the i777), and this thing freakin' flies.

Also, as much as I was flashing ROMs on my S2 (I tried SHOStock, but realize I really didn't like Touchwiz; and cycled between CM, AOKP, and then PACMan before getting the HTC One), I'm staying on Sense for now. I actually kinda like Blinkfeed, and Sense is a lot more usable than Touchwiz for me. It was a bit weird to go back to 4.1.2 JB after using 4.2.2 ROMs so much, but it's not been as painful as I thought.

Keeping my semi-busted (I don't think anyone will really buy a phone that doesn't have a working power button) as an absolute emergency backup, or a smaller-than-tablet game device for my kids. Though, if I were to sell it, I would wipe dalvik, cache, and for extra measure, format the internal SD card to get rid of other stuff (downloads, leftover folders, that aren't touched by a /data or /system wipe that a factory reset does etc). I would then reflash a ROM from the external SD card after wiping the internal one.

Thanks for the pointer to the Play Store credit promo.

i talked to someone and they said i needed an MSL code?

When you get your new phone, yes, call to activate it. Before you activate it, make sure you ask for the MSL code to the Epic Touch! It's a 6 digit code. You need this code in order to wipe your phone number from the phone's programming. When you're ready to reset the old phone, dial ##786#, and follow whatever prompts you must to reset it. This will not only factory reset your phone, but it will also clear your phone number completely off of it.

Anyone else get a random wallpaper downloaded to their phone from HTC? It looks like a roll of film on a white background. Looks cools, bit very weird.

Not here. Pic?

Will do, I'm on my phone so gimmie a sec.

wKOq8Cs.jpeg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ooooh, that's nice.

Speaking of unexpected gifts, does anyone get the bug where the HTC keyboard disappears entirely and the phone requires a reboot to see it? Happens in the evenings, I've noticed

depths20XX

So I haven't had a cell phone plan in like 8 years. I use my work phone (blackberry).

Thinking of getting this phone and it looks like T-Mobile is the best deal? I'm really not familiar with these recent plans but looks like they have unlimited data for $50.

I did the math on staying with a carrier for 2 years and T-Mobile comes out cheapest even buying the phone at full price. Also, no contract.

Only thing I'm iffy on is their coverage.

BFIB

I have T-Mobile now, made the jump from Sprint, which is terrible here. Overall, I'm happy with the service.

Check XDA forums on the HTC T-Mobile end of things, someone was talkinga about a way, as a new customer, you can exploit their "prepaid" card plan to use with the HTC One, which is $30 a month for the plan.

I did not do this, as I did not know about it. Overall, I'm happy with the service. Keep in mind that effectively, your bill will be around the same, as you pay for the phone over the period of 2 years. At any time, you can pay the difference, minus your "down payment" (Which is $99 I believe), if you choose to switch to a different phone.

Re: screen timeout, what does automatic do? You have 15 secs, 30 secs, etc. but I really don't understand the concept of an automatic option for a setting like this... Is it based on eye tracking like the GS4? Anyone have an idea?

I'm in Canada and signed up anyways despite the offering only being available in the United States. Just got an email with my code in it but when I attempted to enter it into Google Play I got shot down with: Code entered is not available in your country.

The Play offer is available on Rogers and Bell for sure in Canada. You may have entered it into the wrong site.

For example, with Rogers you will get a text message after two weeks with your promo code automatically.

Dumb question re: Google Play credit. When I type the code in, do I have a credit balance that I can use on multiple purchases over a span of time? Or do I have to spend $25 like, right away? I've never used a Play code or gift card; I just buy apps with regular money via Google Wallet/Checkout attached to my ATM card, O_O

Alright so Video on Instagram is out now for iOS and Android, but I haven't gotten an update notification and I can't watch any videos on Instagram. On the Google Play store it says it's the updated 4.0 version with video but it keeps giving me the same old one. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix it either. If you read the Reviews you can see that others have gotten the update just fine and most of them are even on older phones.

Anyone know what's going on or what I'm doing wrong?

Oh sweet another 25 bucks? Still haven't used up all the money from when I had a nexus 7 and now I'll get this. So I just fill out that form and that's it? I'm on Bell btw.

BFIB

Dumb question re: Google Play credit. When I type the code in, do I have a credit balance that I can use on multiple purchases over a span of time? Or do I have to spend $25 like, right away? I've never used a Play code or gift card; I just buy apps with regular money via Google Wallet/Checkout attached to my ATM card, O_O
You can buy whatever you want. Just spent mine on some comics to read on my tablet.

Alright so Video on Instagram is out now for iOS and Android, but I haven't gotten an update notification and I can't watch any videos on Instagram. On the Google Play store it says it's the updated 4.0 version with video but it keeps giving me the same old one. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix it either. If you read the Reviews you can see that others have gotten the update just fine and most of them are even on older phones.

Anyone know what's going on or what I'm doing wrong?

Stuff gets rolled out in phases so it might not be updated for you yet.

Might I ask which competition has rewarded with you so kindly?

I work for Rogers so I got one for selling a certain amount and the second one is for completing a stupidly easy HTC quiz.

Hey Pyro, Bell only started offering the $25 credit the past couple of weeks, I don't think you qualify. I don't qualify either as I got it launch day.

I work for Rogers so I got one for selling a certain amount and the second one is for completing a stupidly easy HTC quiz.

Hey Pyro, Bell only started offering the $25 credit the past couple of weeks, I don't think you qualify. I don't qualify either as I got it launch day.

NORESPECT. I did the HTC site anyway, see what happens with that.

Top Bottom