• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

D23

are you guys using any case?

i bougth the poetic atmosphere case but this case is horrible, within a week the rubbery thing started to fall off and it gets super dirty..

Man iUpdating to wonder if i should jump to samsungs team since htc is up in the air and i have no confidence or information about their commitment to back this phone with updates

I would use a case only if you have the black model as it tends to show more scratches and scuffs. Otherwise, the build is good enough that i dont think you need one

Either phone is great.

But what is your main concern anyways?

As its stand the One is the best android phone out right now. 4.1 or 4.2

HildyB

Man im starting to wonder if i should jump to samsungs team since htc is up in the air and i have no confidence or information about their commitment to back this phone with updates

Pick the phone with the features you will actually use. I love both companies and coming from a S3 and N4, the camera/gallery features of HTC Sense 5 won me over in the end.

In terms of updates, I've already had two updates to stability on my Unlocked One, which was faster and smoother than the way Samsung and AT&T update... my god that was a HORRIBLE wait for Jellybean... so I would call that factor a toss up.

HTC and their continual struggle with the mobile market and bad press with their people leaving.. whole different issue, I'm sure it'll be fine. Worst case scenario, the Google Editions will ensure the community keeps the ROMs coming even if HTC goes poof.

Thinking about getting this phone. Never had a smartphone before. The S4 looks cheap to me with it's plastic design. This looks like the best thing running Android...

Should I get
One
?

leng jai

Man im starting to wonder if i should jump to samsungs team since htc is up in the air and i have no confidence or information about their commitment to back this phone with updates

I would use a case only if you have the black model as it tends to show more scratches and scuffs. Otherwise, the build is good enough that i dont think you need one

Disagree. The One is a horrible phone to use naked for a few reasons. First of all the metal is far more prone to nicks and scratches than glass phones like the Z and iPhone 4. The white plastic on the side gets dirty extremely easily and the curved back makes it poor to use on flat surfaces.

HildyB

Disagree. The One is a horrible phone to use naked for a few reasons. First of all the metal is far more prone to nicks and scratches than glass phones like the Z and iPhone 4. The white plastic on the side gets dirty extremely easily and the curved back makes it poor to use on flat surfaces.

Valid points. No more so than the first couple gens of iPhone though. If you are the type of person to try and keep things in pristine condition, odds are you would have a case anyway. No phone of this kind of make is going to stay pristine. I actually like the worn look after a month or so of being anal over its naked beauty :)

leng jai

Valid points. No more so than the first couple gens of iPhone though. If you are the type of person to try and keep things in pristine condition, odds are you would have a case anyway. No phone of this kind of make is going to stay pristine. I actually like the worn look after a month or so of being anal over its naked beauty :)

Yeah, I usually case it up for a month and then give up. The iPhone 4 was definitely a very good case to use naked.

I actually forgot to mention the biggest reason you need a case for the One - the camera lens is barely recessed at all making it outrageously easy to scratch. Poor design there.

kinggroin

Banned
So what kind of battery life is everyone getting, and with what settings?

Pulling 5hrs 27min of on screen time with medium-heavy usage and low brightness. Not bad.

Meh, was about to take the plunge on flashing my first custom ROM ever and ARHD releases a new ROM that has an issue forcing me to stop.

The new ARHD has an issue with LTE support.

If you're on AT&T (or I guess any network except Sprint), "all" you have to do is dial *#*#4636#*#* to bring up the testing menu, hit "phone information," scroll down a bit, and select "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" for "Set preferred network type"

As long as you don't open the mobile settings (Settings->Mobile Data->Network Mode), then you will have LTE.

It's not at all ideal, and hopefully it will be fixed in ARHD 12, but if "losing LTE" was your reason for not flashing, there's a minorly annoying (but at least not dealbreaking) way to get LTE back.

I was tempted to go check out Viper. I'm thinking: whoever updates next, I will flash. Whether it's ARHD 12 or Viper 1.2 (just pulling a number out of my ass, I notice they've gone from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 to 1.1.1, so I dunno if the next version is 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.2 or 1.2 or 2.0 or what).

ARHA , trickdroid and viper one are the big 3 ROMs do to due support from their developer.

So far the One has been the best deal on any launch phone I've got.

Trade in promo
HD media link
And now i just got yhe Google play promo code.

All this and I got the 64gig version at launch! Not a bad deal for early adopter.

So what kind of battery life is everyone getting, and with what settings?

Pulling 5hrs 27min of on screen time with medium-heavy usage and low brightness. Not bad.

I got 6 hours screen time with auto brightness. Medium heavy usage mix lte and WiFi.
Amazing considering I was getting around 4 hour screen time with the gs3 and oneX

MattDoza

After a year with Windows phone 7.8, I'm now finding my way back to Android. Man, the One is so sexy. Having screen this big is awesome. In the process of adding some images to use as wallpapers and lock screen and realize that all of the images I've saved over the years just won't fit right. Too small.

So much bloatware on ATT. And I can't remove any of it. What's the deal with that? I will never use Facebook, but I have to have it on my phone? Lame.

Ugh, I've really screwed something up now from what seems like because I flashed to ARHD. My backups in TWRP are no longer showing up in Internal Storage. How do I fix this? I don't even know how it changed.

Ok, I have rooted my HTC One but my adb backup is taking a long time to restore.

It's about 500 megs and it is still going about an hour into the process.

Already asked shinshoryukin this but let me get a couple more responses:

I got my new HTC one from t-mobile and paid half of it off. Is there any problem rooting it at this point? Is it legal/illegal? Should I just use titanium backup to remove my bloatware?

Nothing at all illegal about rooting, but it will void your warranty unless you flash it back to stock and whatnot.

Ok. Got everything sorted out and now I'm on Android Revolution HD 11.5 4.2.2. Only problem is no lte radio. Text and phone work. Internet works when connected to wifi. How do I fix?

Thanks.

Ok. Got everything sorted out and now I'm on Android Revolution HD 11.5 4.2.2. Only problem is no lte radio. Text and phone work. Internet works when connected to wifi. How do I fix?

Thanks.

If you're on AT&T (or I guess any network except Sprint), "all" you have to do is dial *#*#4636#*#* to bring up the testing menu, hit "phone information," scroll down a bit, and select "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" for "Set preferred network type"

As long as you don't open the mobile settings (Settings->Mobile Data->Network Mode), then you will have LTE.

It's not at all ideal, and hopefully it will be fixed in ARHD 12, but if "losing LTE" was your reason for not flashing, there's a minorly annoying (but at least not dealbreaking) way to get LTE back.

Can't get LTE (or any data connection besides wifi) working at all. :(. This sucks. Everything else about arhd 4.2.2 works perfectly.

Huzzah. Have lte working. Figured out what APN was and discovered my phone was missing the settings. Searched for Rogers LTE APN settings and got it all sorted out.

Any finally I am ONE with my new HTC one. I went for the black one and I'm waiting on an Incipio black carbon fiber case. Which I hope is made of real carbon fiber, cause it would suck if it isn't. The camera is just amazing on this thing. It surprises me at every snap.

As a new owner/user of this fine android device I have some questions naturally. Can you change the background of blinkfeed/or the app tray? The black sets off the contrast too much when other things are on the screen. Is there a way to use the wifi hotspot without signing up for it? Also is there any good voicemail replacements out there?

I don't know why I waited so long to get these phones.

The only issue I have is probably due to my Alpine deck in my car. Which has me manually connecting to the deck each time I get into the car, it's kind of annoying since both are paired together.

antipod

Another one here that jumped on the One train. Bought it a week ago. Got the black one.

Had a One X previously (well, I still have it I guess) that got a crack in the screen and also drained battery very fast. I just HAD to buy a new phone. Initially I was looking at the Galaxy S4 because I do prefer a replaceable battery and SD memory card but after having fiddled with them both at the store there were no chance in hell I'd go for the S4. HTC One were love at first touch.

And it's fast enough for me. Haven't done much benchmarking except Epic Citadel but going from around 45 fps @ 720p to 59-60 @ 1080p is quite a bump both at High Settings.

Now I just need to find a case I like. Ordered the official flip case but I don't think I'll use that one every day. Saw at an online retailer a case that were only 0.3mm thick, Itskins Zero, though no colour I like were in stock... anyone here have an experience with that one?

Another one here that jumped on the One train. Bought it a week ago. Got the black one.

Had a One X previously (well, I still have it I guess) that got a crack in the screen and also drained battery very fast. I just HAD to buy a new phone. Initially I was looking at the Galaxy S4 because I do prefer a replaceable battery and SD memory card but after having fiddled with them both at the store there were no chance in hell I'd go for the S4. HTC One were love at first touch.

And it's fast enough for me. Haven't done much benchmarking except Epic Citadel but going from around 45 fps @ 720p to 59-60 @ 1080p is quite a bump both at High Settings.

Now I just need to find a case I like. Ordered the official flip case but I don't think I'll use that one every day. Saw at an online retailer a case that were only 0.3mm thick, Itskins Zero, though no colour I like were in stock... anyone here have an experience with that one?

Bench mark don't mean much on real life usage.

The One is much smoother than the S4.

antipod

Bench mark don't mean much on real life usage.

The One is much smoother than the S4.

While that is true it kind of makes me feel better... :)

And yeah, while I fiddled with both phones at the store the S4 didn't impress me with it's UI. Mostly because I'm not that fond of the looks but as you said, the One just felt better.

New HTC One owner here. Had to get a new phone since I dropped my phone into a lake when riding the Goliath over in Six Flags Over Georgia. Sucks, yeah, I know lol.

Anyway, man, I'm in love with this thing. It feels really good in the hand. I'm still waiting for my case and glasst.r to arrive so I can protect this thing. It's so sexy that I'm scared to take it outside.

So what are the recommended roms, apps, and so on that everyone is using for this thing? Are there any roms that improve camera or battery life? I haven't looked them up yet because I can't root this thing until I get back home from vacation.

New HTC One owner here. Had to get a new phone since I dropped my phone into a lake when riding the Goliath over in Six Flags Over Georgia. Sucks, yeah, I know lol.

Anyway, man, I'm in love with this thing. It feels really good in the hand. I'm still waiting for my case and glasst.r to arrive so I can protect this thing. It's so sexy that I'm scared to take it outside.

So what are the recommended roms, apps, and so on that everyone is using for this thing? Are there any roms that improve camera or battery life? I haven't looked them up yet because I can't root this thing til I get back home from vacation.

The big 3 romss for the One are ARHD, trickdroid and ViperOne.

I was able to get 6 hours screen time with ARHD which is amazing.

Top Bottom