• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN posts Black Myth: Wukong hit piece, gets Community Noted

I'm actually starting to think some people are just so warped from anime that they think anything outside of that exaggerated feminine feature looks masculine.

Sure, the ones with the warped reality aren't the ones who design women without any female traits or appearance.

No matter devs themselves admitted they are doing it for that sole purpose. Crazy stuff.

Sure, the ones with the warped reality aren't the ones who design women without any female traits or appearance.

No matter devs themselves admitted they are doing it for that sole purpose. Crazy stuff.
Warped reality is thinking one of the pictures shown even in this thread of a woman doesn't look enough like a woman. Not thinking she is because not enough small chin/big tits is very warped and doesn't reflect most women at all.

Bartski

Gold Member
fk28jcsx4x6d1.jpeg

As cool of a story as this may be, the origin of it is a noname account on weibo, mistranslated and labeled "press" for clicks by another noname on twitter where outrage bait warriors like gumz got a wind of it.
Which is why posts on this got deleted a number of times on various subreddits as fake news, there seems to be no real source to could confirm SBI charging 7 mil for consulting

Sonik

I really can't get over the absurdity of how pathetic and shameless these IGN articles are, they suddenly start talking about a completely different subject than the one in the article just because they want to inject their agenda. Not only they're extremely talentless writers that can't even push their agenda more discreetly or write a proper segway to it but the whole thing is so fucking narcissistic and entitled, they think that the world revolves around them and that the reader that just wanted to find out the goddamn release date also needs to read this bullshit

Trilobit

If IGN is cooperating with SBI then they have a real racket going on. It's enough to pay off the one in charge or a writer there. For some $5000 is enough to take a chance.

Either way it's completely bonkers that some purple-haired weirdos have created a morality system of their own that they require others to adhere to.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If IGN is cooperating with SBI then they have a real racket going on. It's enough to pay off the one in charge or a writer there. For some $5000 is enough to take a chance.

Either way it's completely bonkers that some purple-haired weirdos have created a morality system of their own that they require others to adhere to.
Yeah quite the racket - pay us $7 million or, you know, it would be a real shame if your game ended up like Hogwarts Legacy. Real mafia shit.

MiguelItUp

Twitter is a horrible platform, and it's only getting worse with time, especially as "X". But the whole Community Note thing is one of the best things they've ever made. I wish they'd allow something like that in all of these absurd echo chamber social media platforms.

At this point, IGN ("I GoNuts when watching my wife and her lover from the closet and or the corner") is doing this for clicks.

IGN editor: "Looks good, looks good... now, sprinkle a little bit of "culture wars" on it, and we're good to go, post this online"

Senhua

main-qimg-33e344ead93c826e02724c871c225cc3

Congratulations IGN, you've become a public enemy by Chinese gamers :messenger_grinning_smiling: THE ONLY gaming community in the world you shouldn't mess with. No one gives a shit about IGN and Sweet Baby in China before, not anymore after all of this shit
Unlike Japan and South Korea, China will never submit to foreigners.
We have been able to withstand more severe onslaughts. This is just a small blip in China's giant gaming industry. Even if necessary, it can only be sold domestically, that's no problem.
China will remember this. And when the time come China netizen who 1000x more crazy and nationalist than me will collect the debts
main-qimg-ec6e2dfafeec2af946aac6b8c971d53e-pjlq

Guilty_AI

main-qimg-33e344ead93c826e02724c871c225cc3

Congratulations IGN, you've become a public enemy by Chinese gamers :messenger_grinning_smiling: THE ONLY gaming community in the world you shouldn't mess with. No one gives a shit about IGN and Sweet Baby in China before, not anymore after all of this shit
Unlike Japan and South Korea, China will never submit to foreigners.
We have been able to withstand more severe onslaughts. This is just a small blip in China's giant gaming industry. Even if necessary, it can only be sold domestically, that's no problem.
China will remember this. And when the time come China netizen who 1000x more crazy and nationalist than me will collect the debts
main-qimg-ec6e2dfafeec2af946aac6b8c971d53e-pjlq
I remember them throwing a huge fuss because a popular gacha game implied one of their waifus was close to a male character before.

Last edited:
I remember them throwing a huge fuss because a popular gacha game implied one of their waifus was close to a male character before.

The Girl Frontline 2 NTR drama is hilarious.

Truth be told, the Chinese community had a point in getting mad. Those devs messed with their fanbase just for the lolz and paid handsomely for it. It's always good that creators remember they can't have a job if they troll their fans.

MayauMiao

Not a fan of IGN or this tweet from them but community notes are one of the most petty, pointless and authoritarian concepts to ever exist on the internet. What gives the people who write those notes the authority to be the ultimate arbiters of objective truth? I thought they would become a thing of the past after COVID but it looks like they're here to stay unfortunately.

Community note is supported with fact checks given and then rated by readers. If not for community notes, IGN would have simply lock the replies and gets away with lies.

ER93ajh.jpeg

Braag

Sweet Baby are terrorist extortionists.
If the accusations are true, then they really are no better than a street gang that extorts money for protection. In other words, pay us and we wont try to cancel you.
And you have all these studios lined up and bent over backwards for them.

It's honestly an insanely good business model and more insane is that it's 100% legal. Not ethical in any way, but making a lot of money never is.

ShadowNate

I like how community notes work to battle the bullshit.

Kinda curious why they are not working for Grummz bullshit as well, though.

Toons

IGN put on their Kotaku hat in an attempt to take down Game Science. It didn't work out how they hoped:

b34d6tgbkw6d1.png

Seems like the community notes feature is doing its job well, it should be applicable to any and every user on the platform tbh

Seems like the community notes feature is doing its job well, it should be applicable to any and every user on the platform tbh
While I applaud things like community notes and the need to point out errors, biases and provide reputable sources for information, I'm not sure using Asmongold as your primary (and seemingly only) source is the smoking gun some people think it is.

He seems to cite some reddit and other social media posts but have any other sites looked into the translations/original sources at all?

I can't seem to find anything.

Toons

While I applaud things like community notes and the need to point out errors, biases and provide reputable sources for information, I'm not sure using Asmongold as your primary (and seemingly only) source is the smoking gun some people think it is.

He seems to cite some reddit and other social media posts but have any other sites looked into the translations/original sources at all?

I can't seem to find anything.

Didn't know asmongold provided it. Haven't watched him in a looong time but I definitely don't know if jsut anyone should be able to make community notes

I'm pretty sure the people who run Sweet Baby have "dirt" on the writers of every major website and are threatening them with the cancellation mob unless they act as their PR firm.
I’m pretty sure the relationship is more “you get a cut of that $7 million for being the enforcement arm of our racket”.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Reminds me of when Anita Sarkeesian told CDPR they need to hire her for consulting before the industry attacks them for CP2077. CDPR didn't hire her for consulting. And wouldn't you know it, the media began a massive campaign against CP2077 for being "transphobic" for its in-game advertisements.
Or when Polygon ran the single largest piece in the history of their publication: a 10 year history of Anita Sarkeesian... only for it to help reveal that her organisation was basically out of money.

I usually sit this stuff out, but, I gotta be honest: it's hard to look at this stuff and not see a good-old-fashioned shakedown here.
7M for consulting from who ?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As cool of a story as this may be, the origin of it is a noname account on weibo, mistranslated and labeled "press" for clicks by another noname on twitter where outrage bait warriors like gumz got a wind of it.
Which is why posts on this got deleted a number of times on various subreddits as fake news, there seems to be no real source to could confirm SBI charging 7 mil for consulting

Hey man. These guys love to be outraged by the big bad DEI overlords. Most don't even care the original story is fake news and outrage bait.

Last edited:
Hey man. These guys love to be outraged by the big bad DEI overlords. Most don't even care the original story is fake news and outrage bait.
Where’s your proof that it’s fake?

Other than the dollar amount being possibly exaggerated, I have little doubt the gist of the grift is real. Because it fits all the actions of the various parties involved in the story.
It also explained how an outfit like sweet baby can get so much business so quickly.

Last edited:

Hugare

Gaming media did the same with Callisto Protocol after Glen Schofield justified crunch, but no one said a thing, 'cause crunch was a much more subtle topic. Completely killed a promissing studio.

I know so many people that has played the game once it hit PS+ and went "wait, it was this good?"

This shit has been happening over and over again, but now with "sexism", it catches people's attentions (this and the game is being pretty hyped)

Boss Mog

If the accusations are true, then they really are no better than a street gang that extorts money for protection. In other words, pay us and we wont try to cancel you.
And you have all these studios lined up and bent over backwards for them.

It's honestly an insanely good business model and more insane is that it's 100% legal. Not ethical in any way, but making a lot of money never is.
Racketeering is not legal.

laynelane

LMAO the comments on the vid:

Just checked it out. There were several saying that IGN is deleting comments which sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually disable them. Can't have people publicly calling them out for their bullshit takes and it's easier to delete/deflect than rethink their perspective for many game journalists bloggers.

Top Bottom