• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN posts Black Myth: Wukong hit piece, gets Community Noted

Hugare

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Screenshot-18-6-2024-12451-www-ign-com.jpg
Complaining about not having women in a 2h demo

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Keep digging, IGN

Sephimoth

Tis a shame, there are parts of IGN I've enjoyed for years (Game Scoop podcast, which as of yet hasn't been tainted). But overall activists have crept in and ruined the company and it only ends in misery.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it turned out this writer has connections/friends in SBI

Last edited:
Activists creep in because they are the only ones willing to work for the cheap. Because they are as interested as what the position could allow them to be influential in their activism as the pay. Whereas a talented person who’s not an activist would require full pay.
So these publications who try to hire the cheapest person possible end up with a roster full of activists.

Who then of course coordinates plan like this to monetize their activism.

Where’s your proof that it’s fake?

Other than the dollar amount being possibly exaggerated, I have little doubt the gist of the grift is real. Because it fits all the actions of the various parties involved in the story.
It also explained how an outfit like sweet baby can get so much business so quickly.
Not to mention, Kim Belair the founder of SBI straight out publicly said to scare the shit out of the marketing team if they don't accept such "consultation" services.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I've had an account with IGN for a long time... I think it's time to retire that shit and delete it. This is as good a reason as any, but it is also the final nail.
These idiots aren't the same site I signed up with, anyhow.

Edit: I can't seem to delete it. So it's time for Scorched Earth. All information false and a burner email complete with a long-ass, random password that I will purposely forget.

Last edited:
I disagree. Playing nice and taking the high road has led to the current woke state. It's time to push back with some emotion.
Agreed. Fight these lunatics back hard and don’t let up. They screech and try to demonize everything and cry victimhood as soon as someone pushes back. If enough people speak up against these morons they will eventually wither away like the cowards they are. If left alone to continue their agenda they will never stop and only get worse.

You guys complain about IGN but you always give them clicks and attention with review threads, same as with any of these journalistic idiots. So tell me gaf, who's the bigger idiot? They or you for always giving them the attention they want and thus putting money in their pockets?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
You guys complain about IGN but you always give them clicks and attention with review threads, same as with any of these journalistic idiots. So tell me gaf, who's the bigger idiot? They or you for always giving them the attention they want and thus putting money in their pockets?
The only click I gave them in the better part of the last 5 years was to check my account after OP posted this.
I wouldn't generalize that GAF enjoys IGN anymore than you yourself. I certainly don't. The site is a mess, now. I used to go there for the community, but when I tried earlier, I couldn't even find it. Lol.
That said, IGN can wither and fade away on a moments notice and I wouldn't miss them. They went to shit after being acquired by Fox.

I wouldn't generalize that GAF enjoys IGN

Certainly not, but hate clicks and hate views are thriving A LOT for scumbags(star wars, velma show, etc.) and gaf certainly does give them the attention they require. Negative press and community notes does not hurt the industry anymore. Quite the opposite. Hating on something is now a way to make more money than favorable things.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Certainly not, but hate clicks and hate views are thriving A LOT for scumbags(star wars, velma show, etc.) and gaf certainly does give them the attention they require. Negative press and community notes does not hurt the industry anymore. Quite the opposite. Hating on something is now a way to make more money than favorable things.
Hey, I agree on that. Even I come in to dump on some of that stuff. I am trying to be more positive, however. It's a little difficult when media is going through some shit right now. You tend to engage media when you want to relax and get away from IRL stuff, but it seems everything is kind of meshing atm and it's annoying with the forced agendas and it's definitely a topic of discussion that arises in multiple threads, for a good reason.

I disagree. Playing nice and taking the high road has led to the current woke state. It's time to push back with some emotion.
Agreed. Fight these lunatics back hard and don’t let up. They screech and try to demonize everything and cry victimhood as soon as someone pushes back. If enough people speak up against these morons they will eventually wither away like the cowards they are. If left alone to continue their agenda they will never stop and only get worse.
This has even lead up to people legit getting harassed now. A Youtuber, SmashJT, had one guy from Sweet baby inc. call up his former workplace and attempted to get him fired/lose his livelihood. Alyssa Mercante attempted to sour the relationship with his wife through Facebook. Nick Calandra attempted to shut down his website on false claims about private information. Not to mention he got dox'ed too.

They're getting utterly batshit insane.

Last edited:

Mithos

Gold Member
I've had an account with IGN for a long time... I think it's time to retire that shit and delete it. This is as good a reason as any, but it is also the final nail.

Edit: I can't seem to delete it. So it's time for Scorched Earth. All information false and a burner email complete with a long-ass, random password that I will purposely forget.
Thanks for reminding me, you actually have to go to their support page (https://corp.ign.com/support) and fill in a short form to request a removal/deletion of your account.
I just did...

Last edited:

Senhua

I remember them throwing a huge fuss because a popular gacha game implied one of their waifus was close to a male character before.
The criticism was warranted through a bit of overblow.
Dev want to change the plot from harem game to normal game (means not every girl is simp for protag) so the fans feel a bit betrayed.
They should make a new game if they want to make normal game though.

It is somewhat ironic that China's tech bloggers are now considered lacking in trustworthiness. Many Westerners may forget, possibly due to their experiences with social media and mainstream media, that social media in China is not as free as it is in the West. If someone wishes to post something publicly, especially content that could potentially cause a public uproar, they must ensure its validity.
I'm not saying that Chinese posts are always 100% true, but until the content is proven wrong and the account is suspended, I tend to believe them more than Western media.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dev want to change the plot from harem game to normal game (means not every girl is simp for protag) so the fans feel a bit betrayed.

It is somewhat ironic that China's tech bloggers are now considered lacking in trustworthiness. Many Westerners may forget, possibly due to their experiences with social media and mainstream media, that social media in China is not as free as it is in the West. If someone wishes to post something publicly, especially content that could potentially cause a public uproar, they must ensure its validity.
I'm not saying that Chinese posts are always 100% true, but until the content is proven wrong and the account is suspended, I tend to believe them more than Western media.
What? Someone can post the completely accurate similarity of Winnie the Pooh to Xi Jinping and get censored, discuss Tianemen square and get censored, the sovereignty of Tiawan and get censored in Taiwan but posting something that makes it look like the west is censoring stuff so maybe the chinese censorship isnt so bad - yeah the Chinese government will signal boost that for you.

Last edited:

Senhua

What? Someone can post the completely accurate similarity of Winnie the Pooh to Xi Jinping and get censored, discuss Tianemen square and get censored, the sovereignty of Tiawan and get censored in Taiwan but posting something that makes it look like the west is censoring stuff so maybe the chinese censorship isnt so bad - yeah the Chinese government will signal boost that for you.
Is Political discussion banned on this site? I can discuss with you all days about this as long as I have time but this is not the place.

Guilty_AI

Pretty sure they just go after anything that goes against the government agenda, the rest true or false they don't seem to give much crap.

Success

Journoids think this is 10+ years ago and they're still relevant, in reality not only they're not damaging the reputation of the game but they're actively advertising it to gamers that usually hate their guts

If journalist were not relevant than this post would be dead and buried, instead it has more than 150+ responses.

Success

Jfc!!! What’s wrong with these damn people? Fuck right out of my games. These companies need to go bankrupt

It is emberassing how triggered you are getting.

This 7 million dollar guidance fee is literal fake news and your eating it up.

Embarrassing.

I knew IGN was on some bullshit back when they had that fake review for Sonic: Black Knight or whatever it was called on Wii. If you are willing to lie about a damn Sonic game, then what else have you swept under the rug? I'm sure some of what they have is useful, but I honestly stopped supporting them altogether that day. I won't even click on an IGN link or video. This is nothing new for them. They've been on this bullshit for years. There's no telling how much they have done that we don't know about.

Senhua

Pretty sure they just go after anything that goes against the government agenda, the rest true or false they don't seem to give much crap.
The public discussion about politics in China has been treated with caution not because the government wants to dictate and perpetuate their power, but due to the cultural and Confucian roots that stretch back 2000 years to the Shang-Zhou dynasty

the rest true or false they don't seem to give much crap.
Anything else that could potentially cause public disturbance, like what was mentioned in my previous post, will be investigated
For example, if you yell in the middle of Shanghai about Xi being a hack, the police will apprehend you because you are disturbing public order, not because of your personal opinion about him.

It's hard to explain the real China to someone who only consumes Western mainstream media. You really need to use that 30-day free visa to come here and experience it for yourself.
I'm done promoting Eastern gaming culture here because, no matter how I explain it, you guys seem to persist in believing anything about China from your beloved Western mainstream media.

blue velvet

Lmao, chinese devs don't need DEI, they have their own social credit system in their own country. In fact, it's much worse than any western devs since it's literally based on extreme racial prejudice and maoism.
I remember China removing black characters on movie posters because they don't like seeing black people being marketed in their soil. They disguised it as "anti-political correctness".

Two sides of the same coin

Last edited:

knguyen

main-qimg-33e344ead93c826e02724c871c225cc3

Congratulations IGN, you've become a public enemy by Chinese gamers :messenger_grinning_smiling: THE ONLY gaming community in the world you shouldn't mess with. No one gives a shit about IGN and Sweet Baby in China before, not anymore after all of this shit
Unlike Japan and South Korea, China will never submit to foreigners.
We have been able to withstand more severe onslaughts. This is just a small blip in China's giant gaming industry. Even if necessary, it can only be sold domestically, that's no problem.
China will remember this. And when the time come China netizen who 1000x more crazy and nationalist than me will collect the debts
main-qimg-ec6e2dfafeec2af946aac6b8c971d53e-pjlq
The fucker who wrote this some serious Xi's dick sucker.

It is emberassing how triggered you are getting.

This 7 million dollar guidance fee is literal fake news and your eating it up.

Embarrassing.

The amount of money doesn't change the fact that these companies are doing exactly what's been said and the media treatment follows a clear pattern. The amount might very well be a mistranslation due to a different currency.

If you dismiss the whole thing because of that I'm afraid it's you the one eating up the fake news.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

That's not a scorched earth tactic. Try to get banned by saying how you really feel about the clowns writing for IGN.

Mithos

Gold Member
Thankful for these real-time replies you get, here. I was almost done resetting my password, but this is the better option.
I appreciate it.
Small update on the IGN account deletion request.

Got a mail detailing that they (because of the various opt-out rules/laws around the world) they take the strictest and secure path to do it and linked to their GDPR submission form (since I'm from Europe), where I picked from a number of pre-made options, (delete all my information) and then put my email in again (for verification) and a short optional message where I choose to write that I wanted my account removed /deleted and also wrote the name of my account again (to be sure), then i submitted that form.

Then I got an email where I had to click confirm email again. Now lets see how long it take until they send me confirmation on deletion/removal from their system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom