• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST 2013 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + more!

QP3

Welp, they finally got me. After swearing I'd never fall for their shit again, I'm back in portable
hell
/land.

UZiJv7Z.jpg

Persona 4 Golden better be real fucking good.

Nice! You'll love it!

Another little update guys! Some good stuff here, I think. Please enjoy the pics!

Two more Dishonored giclees:

DSC04082.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

Another Borderlands screenprint for my set. Thus far, I've managed to get them all:

DSC04084.jpg

Alduin's Wall lithograph. The art is really nice, but I think I would've preferred it as a giclee. It would've been nice if it were a bit bigger too; and signed and numbered.

DSC04079.jpg

Pokemon poster. I know nothing of Pokemon, so I'll probably end up trading or selling this one:

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04095.jpg

I found this next piece at a game shop. It was cheap, so I picked it up despite the fact that I don't really collect retro. It's a factory sealed, near mint Castlevania II NES game. I'll probably end up selling it, but I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on how cool it looks sitting on my game shelf:

DSC04047.jpg

I've had this next one for a while now, just forgot to post sooner.

Signed Fallout 3 Gary Hoodie package. The caps are signed by the entire Treehouse team! :cpatch: A very special thanks to Treehouse_Ryan! I can't thank him enough! Thanks to everyone at Treehouse as well. You all are simply the best!

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

This next one isn't really game-related, but I am so happy to have it, that I figured I'd share it. I met one of my all time favorite comic artists this past weekend at a con, and I managed to win a sketch commission from him! Now, he almost never does sketches at cons; and he certainly never does sketches of this quality at cons. So for him to actually do one like this is certainly special. He did this Lady Loki drawing for me. Hope you all like it too:

Here is the artist holding the sketch:

photo3.jpg

and here is a better pic of the art. Oh yeah, I met Stan Lee too, and had him sign it!:thumb:

LadyLoki.jpg

This next piece here eluded me on one previous occasion. It wouldn't have stung so much, if it weren't for the fact that this piece seldom comes up for sale. In fact, that one time that I missed it, was the only other time that'd I'd personally ever seen it for sale (the one I now own is the only other one I've ever seen for sale.)

It had come up at least one or two other times before that, from what I hear; but again, I'd only seen it available that one time.

Needless to say, I was super bummed because I missed it! But, I did get over it eventually. It really did help to know that it went to a fellow AC collector (I know the guy that won it.) I knew that it would be well appreciated!

The moment another one of these came up though, you bet your butt I snatched it up faster than you can say collector!

DSC04067.jpg

DSC04068.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

DSC04073.jpg

This is an Australia exclusive Assassin's Creed disc storage case that can hold up to 4 discs. From what I understand, it was available exclusively at JB Hi-Fi (an Australian retailer) as a pre-order bonus item. The piece resembles a hardcover book and features 8 unique art pieces inside (including 2 double spreads), and the 2 art pieces on the front and back covers of the hardcover binding.

Considering how seldom these come up for sale, I think it's reasonable to assume that they're relatively scarce. Maybe they didn't have many pre-orders there, and trashed the majority of these? Who knows.

I'm just glad to finally have it!

Last piece:

DSC04194.jpg

DSC04200.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

As you can see, this is the rare Borderlands 2 press kit. This is easily one of the neatest pieces of Borderlands memorabilia in existence. The best part of the kit is easily the "big box"-style PC box. The art and overall retro style of the package make for a killer display piece.

From what I understand, the floppies actually contain a playable 16-bit game on it called "The Border Lands"! So maybe that's the coolest part of the kit? lol

I do believe that the game is playable for free online; so anyone, anywhere, at any time can actually play it. You don't need this press kit to enjoy the game. :)

I do believe that this kit is a true rarity. I only know of a handful of these that exist; though I'm sure that many,many more were produced. I can't imagine, however, that very many of these were actually made. I would imagine that maybe only a few hundred were made. Though, again, I really have no way of knowing how many were actually made.

I think they were made exclusively for the European media outlets; though I haven't researched this well enough to know whether this is indeed the case. I'm sure it's possible for other markets like Australia to have received these kits.

Now sadly, I do believe that my kit is missing a few bits and pieces. think it's missing a couple floppies and possibly a foldout poster. But, again, given how rare this kit is, I'm still happy with what I have. I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best pieces in my collection; and it's for sure one of the best pieces in my little Borderlands collection.

I also wanted to show this neat little detail on the package. There's a typical barcode on the side of the box as you can see in the picture below:

DSC04208.jpg

However, when you look at the barcode at an angle, you see this:

DSC04201.jpg

lol. In case you can't read it clearly, it says "This is not real. This is not real" lol

Thanks everyone for taking the time view all of the pics and read everything! Take care.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I found this next piece at a game shop. It was cheap, so I picked it up despite the fact that I don't really collect retro. It's a factory sealed, near mint Castlevania II NES game. I'll probably end up selling it, but I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on how cool it looks sitting on my game shelf:

DSC04047.jpg

Awesome pickup!!! oh man I genuinely love Simon's Quest. If you do end up wanting to get rid of it, let me know via PM! :D

zmet

Replacement discs for a previous haul: disc 2 for Final Fantasy IV Original Soundtrack Remaster Version and disc 2 for Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee (Japanese version of Samurai Pizza Cats)

Track 12 in disc 2 of FF4 had a couple of seconds missing from the beginning, and episode 9 in disc 2 of Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee had mistimed subtitles

Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Third Season

Ghost in the Shell: Arise 1 and Cosmic Carnage (complete)

The music in Cosmic Carnage is so good: track 6 (http://youtu.be/gL6ppTwaEgE) and track 7 (http://youtu.be/osvuPvUtMDI)

D-e-f-

Banned
I dunno if I'd call this a pickup or not but I finally got around to building a cheap shelf to house my retro collection in the basement. Cost around $12 in cheap lumber.

making something like this yourself always feels awesome. especially when it's even cheaper than just buying a thing in a store.

Went looking around at pawn shops and stuff being bored the other day, snapped these up. WET was $8, NMH2 is ex-rental (disc is near immaculate though) and was $10.

i9G4tTQMlq9s1.jpg

The stickers on them are a total bitch to remove though.

D-e-f-

Banned
Went looking around at pawn shops and stuff being bored the other day, snapped these up. WET was $8, NMH2 is ex-rental (disc is near immaculate though) and was $10.

i9G4tTQMlq9s1.jpg

Prepare to be frustrated to no end by Cursed Mountain's motion controls. But I feel it was worth sticking with it.

Rich!

Project X Zone was only £22 on amazon. Considering that CEX offer £20 cash trade-in for it, I thought what the hell. It's actually really good. And it's incredible as what's essentially a £2 rental if I do decide to trade it in.

Also, I got 4 new replacement analog sticks for my N64 controllers. They are fucking amazing.

Project X Zone was only £22 on amazon. Considering that CEX offer £20 cash trade-in for it, I thought what the hell. It's actually really good. And it's incredible as what's essentially a £2 rental if I do decide to trade it in.

Also, I got 4 new replacement analog sticks for my N64 controllers. They are fucking amazing.

Are they the ones based on GameCube analog sticks?
I feel like they would be way better, though I have heard complaints that the dead zone or something is different and it makes some games weird to play.

Rich!

Are they the ones based on GameCube analog sticks?
I feel like they would be way better, though I have heard complaints that the dead zone or something is different and it makes some games weird to play.

They are, yeah.

The deadzone is different - but for the majority of games, it simply does not matter. The best way to describe it is that it makes it harder to accurately aim on Goldeneye as it's far more sensitive.

However, for games like Mario 64 and Banjo, it's absolutely incredible. It feels like Mario is absolutely 100% under your control - even more so than with the default n64 stick.

Dawg

Dropping the gamescom haul!

imagepquhb.jpg

Full haul includes a DayZ shirt, an ARMA III shirt, a Witcher 3 shirt, DayZ multitool, Witcher 3 fact sheet and an ARMA III press kit. Some lanyards in there too.

There's one specific goodie that is more valuable than all of the stuff above (at least for me) though: this The Witcher 3 puzzle of Geralt. It's 1500 pieces and it's a gamescom exclusive so it's kinda rare since only press who attended the gameplay demo got one. I think it's awesome and I can't wait to actually put it together :p

imagehpu7j.jpg

August pickups:

Since it's Kojima's 50th birthday today, I thought it would be fitting to post my latest Kojima pickup today.

Boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand (NDS).
I already owned the second game, and had the poster signed by the man himself a couple of years ago. But finally picked up the first game, which he worked on a designer and producer, in the past couple of weeks.

- SSX (PS3). I loved SSX3. Heard this one isn't nearly as good, so I waited until it was really cheap.
- Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure (3DS): picked it up for 10 EUR, which is a steal.
- Epic Mickey 2: The Power of 2 Collector's Edition (Wii). It was £13, so couldn't resist and ordered it. I probably won't even play it. The Mickey figure is kind of nice. There's also a Oswald USB key in the package. And the film cell shown in the picture.
- Pikmin 3 keychains from the Club Nintendo Stars Catalogue
- Shadow of the Colossus guide, thanks to jimi_dini.

Edit: also picked up Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PSVita) but forgot to add it in the picture. :)

Y0qksCT.jpg

jimi_dini

- Shadow of the Colossus guide, thanks to jimi_dini.

Heh, you are welcome, buddy

I ordered the PS3 Ico guide a few days ago from honto.jp. It's just 15EUR (which already includes SAL shipping) and the PS3 one is 144 pages. On ebay it's much more expensive than that. Already got the original PS2 Ico Guide (around 100 pages) a few days ago.

mrhGB

Banned
First off, please excuse the point and shoot quality.

62lm.jpg

zp91.jpg

New Nexus 7 with my £2 budget case (getting a Moko soon). Hooked up my PS3 controller and played some Dead Trigger which is really fun.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

i9G4tTQMlq9s1.jpg

Go buy a product called "Goof Off 2". Spray a small amount on the sticker itself and spray some on a white cloth and clean those stickers and all the glue residue off with relative ease.

To those who bought it: Is the Mother 3 English Cart worth the price?

You could just as easily play it with a EZ Flash IV...which is what i did at first till it crashed on me 1/2 way through the game and borked the save. But the repro cart is more stable, and it is a game I would rather play on hardware then through emulation.

Construction wise, the plastic feels cheep and the label looks like ass. It is pretty much being made in the factory that makes the bootleg pokemon GBA games.

But with that, I am happy to own one.

plc268

To those who bought it: Is the Mother 3 English Cart worth the price?

Most will say yes, but the reality of it is, is that it's a shoddy repro in the style of the chinese bootleg carts. Meaning, that you're practically guaranteed to lose your save file soon once the crappy battery dies.

Unfortunately, I bought one, and regret it. It's not worth 55 and shipping, especially when I already had the means to play it on an ez flash 4.

I dunno if I'd call this a pickup or not but I finally got around to building a cheap shelf to house my retro collection in the basement. Cost around $12 in cheap lumber.

Hah! I was just getting ready to do that exact type of shelving myself this weekend. Beats paying for overpriced media shelves.

vid

It's a well made cart. It's the same fan translation that's been out there for years. So it depends on what that's worth to you I guess. I'm pretty happy with it.

That's what makes the whole thing really skeezy to me. Someone selling Tomato's fan translation for profit seems really questionable.

Dragon's Crown and MGS Collection

Q6egXL2.jpg

Elgato game capture slim HDME cables, and a HDMI converter to bypass HDCP

WPxdgIO.jpg

Since March I've lost 138 lbs and finally got to the point where my clothes were ridiculously too big for my body, so I bought some new shirts

XI8rwg1.jpg

3JUXV4k.jpg

Razer Vespula and Goliathus and Logitech G700s

RqUef8f.jpg

That is a classy command center! Where is your teleporter?

Thanks! It still needs more work. I'd like to put in a hardwood floor and paint the walls so there's not so much white.

You've lost 10 stone in less than 6 months? Care to elaborate for us?!

After years of working from home, my weight exploded. I had clocked in at 368 lbs, had high blood pressure, sleep apnea and was a borderline diabetic. After discussions with family, friends and my personal physician, I decided to have a gastric bypass. Since having the procedure in March and exercising sixty minutes a day, five days a week, I'm currently down 230 lbs.

Basically the surgery makes your stomach go from the size of a football to the size of an egg, and it kills the hormone that produces hunger, so you never get hungry. The first three months you're on nothing but liquids, so the weight literally just falls off. You're lucky if you can intake 300-400 calories a day, and burn two to three times that with exercise and weight lifting.

I no longer have high blood pressure or sleep apnea, and my sugar levels are completely normal. I no longer require any medication, just vitamins. It's probably the best decision I've ever made in my life.

Parfait

cMW7nzi.jpg

My first post in one of these!

I was especially amused at how similar in shape these two unrelated buys were. I am a simple person.

LadyRiven

This next one isn't really game-related, but I am so happy to have it, that I figured I'd share it. I met one of my all time favorite comic artists this past weekend at a con, and I managed to win a sketch commission from him! Now, he almost never does sketches at cons; and he certainly never does sketches of this quality at cons. So for him to actually do one like this is certainly special. He did this Lady Loki drawing for me. Hope you all like it too:

Here is the artist holding the sketch:

photo3.jpg

and here is a better pic of the art. Oh yeah, I met Stan Lee too, and had him sign it!:thumb:

LadyLoki.jpg

J. Scott Campbell is AWESOME!

lvlzero

Banned
Met up with shinkansen.3000 from gaf to hit some stores here in japan and picked up:
3ds game for my wife,
Pc engine system card 3
PC engine console
Vita grip

Shinkansen.3000 got some goodies too!
Will upload pics when I'm not sat on the train

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
So, got a few new things fairly recently.

Still sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, it'll probably still be sealed for a while until I get around to playing it.
XxWk5FK.jpg

Both Shadow of the Colossus and Ico
RSpWFov.jpg

aP71PzF.jpg

The SotC art cards look really good, while the Ico ones are a tad bland.
X2S26yl.jpg

prwk2id.jpg

Top Bottom