• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sucks for those people. Game is pretty mind blowing at 4K/DLAA/Ultra/100+ fps

Few of my shots:

54017224662_32f7695b22_o.png

54011419863_a2cfe79897_o.png

54009860024_1e32e5d8be_o.png

54006646807_22da4cdafe_o.png

54018350758_a6eece75a4_o.png

54006646827_d3d51a0ba8_o.png

Fabieter

Sure. But the performance is the same on a $399 console as it is on a $539 GPU (not counting all the other components of that PC).

That's the problem.

The console version drops to 720p quite alot(always in fights) to maintain 60 fps as good as possible.Thats more than half of the pixel the 4070. Iam sure its a bit better optimized on consoles but its not that far off.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sure. But the performance is the same on a $399 console as it is on a $539 GPU (not counting all the other components of that PC).

That's the problem.
The PS5 drops to 720p and into the 30s. It's always 720p in battles. How is the performance the same?

This has to be trolling.

Last edited:
Well, I've been using a ASUS TUF A15 gaming laptop for playing since 2021 and this is the first game that it can't run properly, not even at minimun settings. It's time to upgrade to a new gaming laptop, I guess.

(In case you are wondering, I'd love to build a proper desktop gaming PC for this one, but with the prices here in my country, that goes far beyond what my wallet can afford right now. Thanks for asking, anyway).

Last edited:

Fabieter

Well, I've been using a ASUS TUF A15 gaming laptop for playing since 2021 and this is the first game that it can't run properly, not even at minimun settings. It's time to upgrade to a new gaming laptop, I guess.

(In case you are wondering, I'd love to build a proper desktop gaming PC for this one, but with the prices here in my country, that goes far beyond what my wallet can afford right now. Thanks for asking, anyway).

Asus Laptops are awesome tho.

Gaiff

Not even with DLSS? Also, settings don’t have that much of an impact in this game.

Not even with DLSS? Also, settings don’t have that much of an impact in this game.
Not even with that, and I tried, but the game goes below 30 fps, at least in the demo. Now, I played it on PS5 so it's not like I'm missing on it. It's just that I dislike Sony, so I'm always trying to play the games on other platforms rather than PlayStation.

Zathalus

Not even with that, and I tried, but the game goes below 30 fps, at least in the demo. Now, I played it on PS5 so it's not like I'm missing on it. It's just that I dislike Sony, so I'm always trying to play the games on other platforms rather than PlayStation.
Is that a laptop with a mobile 3070?

BlackTron

Which GPU? I have an F15 but now I wanna DL the FF16 demo just to see what happens. I'm pretty sure the demo is loaded with cutscenes too

edit: NVM I'm dumb, you already answered this

Last edited:
As per a video by Jarrod Tech, almost all modern AAA games need at least 12 GB vram (Laptop 4080/Desktop 4070) to be playable at decent settings - 60 fps and 1440p.

If cant afford a good rig, you must dial down your expectations.

But games that require high end gaming rig to play well dont really sell well.
So, SE should also dial down its expectations regarding sales.

What these devs dont realize is most of us dont need hyper real visuals. Most of us would be happy with graphics similar to Uncharted 4, LOU and Elden Ring that plays flawlessly on mid range systems.

Last edited:

Zathalus

That’s an endless cycle.

PC gamer: Makes unfounded and incorrect claim about consoles.

Console gamer: Replies to PC gamer and makes an even stupider statement.

Repeat.
Yeah it’s a weird claim, if somebody had said most don’t have a PC as powerful as a XSX/PS5 then that is factually true. But the Series S? Come on, a 8 year old 480 is more powerful than that.

I've been doing some research and I think I'm upgrading to a laptop similar to this one (it looks like a direct upgrade from the laptop I'm using right now, which is something I'm really confortable with). I also have a fast m.2, which is the one I'm using on my current PC, so I think it could be enought to play this and other games properly, at least for some years. Not top of the line, I know, but it's closer to what I can afford... at the next CyberDay xD

And yeah, ASUS laptops are great. Not that they don't come with some issues (with my current A15 I had problems between the two GPUs it uses; I had to update the BIOS to fix it), and I've heard they've been doing some shady practices on the desktop landscape, but I have nothing wrong to say about them. At least, so far.
9pxO4Ld.jpeg
ve

Jakk

This is why these PC Bros (defined as PC fanboys) really need to quit talking up the PC. The PC is as powerful as you can afford it to be. Most can't afford it to be more powerful than a Series S.
Based on what? Doesn't look like that to me at first glance: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
Sure, most people don't have high end GPUs, but looking at the top 10 most used GPUs I can see maybe 2 which are weaker than what is in Series S. Also, the biggest issue with Series S is its memory. Almost everyone on PC has 16 GB RAM or more.

DryvBy

That’s an endless cycle.

PC gamer: Makes unfounded and incorrect claim about consoles.

Console gamer: Replies to PC gamer and makes an even stupider statement.

Repeat.

Me, being both: "Join the fun, PC gamers, and console war."

Gaiff

I've been doing some research and I think I'm upgrading to a laptop similar to this one (it looks like a direct upgrade from the laptop I'm using right now, which is something I'm really confortable with). I also have a fast m.2, which is the one I'm using on my current PC, so I think it could be enought to play this and other games properly, at least for some years. Not top of the line, I know, but it's closer to what I can afford... at the next CyberDay xD

And yeah, ASUS laptops are great. Not that they don't come with some issues (with my current A15 I had problems between the two GPUs it uses; I had to update the BIOS to fix it), and I've heard they've been doing some shady practices on the desktop landscape, but I have nothing wrong to say about them. At least, so far.
9pxO4Ld.jpeg
ve
Asus has good products, but I’m wary of them due to their practices regarding customer service and warranty claims.

Also, I assume the laptop has usage beyond gaming as well? The one big disadvantage on laptops are that you cannot upgrade the core components, so it can be a problem much quicker than with desktops.

Regardless, FF XVI is certainly the exception and not the rule.

The PC is as powerful as you can afford it to be.
I know I'm getting into an old argument, but hasn't it been like that since... the 70s? When only those who could afford a floppy disk reader or a cassette reader could play the best games of their time? If you look at PCs just as graphics powerhouses, then you are correct. However, PCs have other advantages consoles don't have, especially in regards to accessibility to older games in your library. Not that PC gaming doesn't have disadvantages; it has lots of them (trying to use a PC in the living room is a shore), but its versatility compensates for that.

TheMan

Still rockin a 2070s here, but tbh that’s enough for like 95% of pc gaming. That said I do planning on upgrading in the next couple of months

JimboJones

If there's any one thing I can say about FFXVI it's that it runs like absolute dog shit in performance mode, and in no way does it maintain 60fps. I'd love to see a FPS bar graph on that game, it must be awful.
I remember reading entering battles can get the performance a better lock to 60 but it automatically drops the resolution to the lowest it can go for the duration. Out of battles it goes back to flakey framerates again with a bump in resolution.

UnrealEck

Steam hardware survey includes millions of PCs used in offices or for general basic work which happened to have had Steam installed.
It's a very silly metric to use to say 'X% of PC gamers can't run Y% game.'

PS5 can't do it either. What did people expect.

I am not bashing anyone here. But on PS5 it runs at sub60 in a lot of cases at 720p-ish resolution (upscaled). Most people's PCs are probably slower on average than a PS5 (pure speculation on my part).
Comparison is the theif of joy.
PC players love to tout how much more powerful their machines are. But it's mostly hypothetical and completely ignores how "tuned to the PS5" their games are.

Zathalus

No, sir, it doesn't.

vDyxEmS.jpeg
It drops to 720p in combat to maintain 60fps. But even then it can drop to the 50s with the Eikon fights dropping to 30fps in some sections. Outside of combat it can drop resolution as well, and FPS can drop to the low 30s. The PS5 can most certainly not offer a 1080/60fps experience, so the shade thrown at PC in this thread is pointless.

SHA

And then SE keeps wondering why their games don’t sell to expectations. Not only this is coming a year late, it’s also as usual for SE an unoptimized disaster.
There should be a thread for most optimized 9th gen engine games.

akira__

Banned
It drops to 720p in combat to maintain 60fps. But even then it can drop to the 50s with the Eikon fights dropping to 30fps in some sections. Outside of combat it can drop resolution as well, and FPS can drop to the low 30s. The PS5 can most certainly not offer a 1080/60fps experience, so the shade thrown at PC in this thread is pointless.
Sources, add some sources. You're pointing toward a source that doenst state what you are stating.

Top Bottom