• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are Sanders supporters like this. Thankfully, it's a fraction of Sanders' support, there simply aren't enough people like this to be attracting ~40% of the Democratic primary vote.

Wouldn't 40 percent of a Democratic primary actually be a relatively small percentage of all people?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-winning-iowa-and-new-hampshire/

This is actually quite an interesting article. Particularly, about how exactly endorsements are featured in the polls-plus model (see paragraphs on Cruz and the last paragraph). Essentially, Silver's saying they have an impact on the decision-making progress, so if someone has better endorsements than their polls, you expect their polls to rise as more and more people make a final decision. However, on the day of the election, people have effectively made their final decision, so endorsements will not change the difference between the polls-only and polls-plus forecasts - in other word, you'd expect them to trend toward one another by election day. If endorsements have as much impact as expected, then polls-only should trend towards plus, if not, vice versa.

Those Trump second choice numbers aren't great.

That's always been Trump's biggest weaknesses, he is very unpopular outside of the people who already support him. Given the expectations that Cruz has Iowa locked up a strong second place showing would actually be a good result for the Don and give him more momentum going into New Hampshire. If Rubio can move up some and get a strong third place he'd probably get a boost as well.

Wouldn't 40 percent of a Democratic primary actually be a relatively small percentage of all people?

in 2008 in particular, assuming someone won exactly 40% of the Democratic primary popular vote that would equate to 14.176 million people, or roughly 4.6% of the total US population (and 10.8% of all people who ultimately voted in the general election that year)

Wilsongt

Paul Ryan seemed to come off as a child mad at his parent last night with his refusal to clap for anything and that douchebag stare at Obama's head.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
in 2008 in particular, assuming someone won exactly 40% of the Democratic primary popular vote that would equate to 14.176 million people, or roughly 4.6% of the total US population (and 10.8% of all people who ultimately voted in the general election that year)

Mind you, Sanders does better among the general populus than likely Democratic voters, so that's rather reductive.

User 406

Banned
Paul Ryan seemed to come off as a child mad at his parent last night with his refusal to clap for anything and that douchebag stare at Obama's head.

He was just trying to keep himself together, it was probably really hard for him to sit so close to Uncle Joe.

160112_POL_SOTU_biden-points_GettyImages-504722956.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
good thing we're specifically talking about democratic primary voters here, otherwise you might've had a point to make

This is goalpost shifting. Bam Bam implied that Sanders' support came from political irrealists; I responded by saying that there aren't enough irrealists to power Sanders to his current margins. Bam Bam then said "well, you only need 5% of the population to get Sanders to his current margin". This is true... but that supposes that effectively every single irrealist in the population is in on Sanders; which just isn't true. Most irrealists don't vote at all, and the remainder are not likely primary voters precisely because they are not pragmatic - which is my point by saying Sanders' support is larger among the general population. It indicates his *likely Democratic voters* are far more pragmatists than not.

This is goalpost shifting.

i'm pretty sure this would only be goalpost shifting on my part if i was making any kind of actual argument

i'm making a quick and dirty calculation based on primary voters in response to bam bam's very much calculation-less post, in which he specifically mentioned democratic primary voters. nothing more, nothing less.

HylianTom

Banned
Haley has confirmed on the Today Show that her comments in the rebuttal last night were indeed targeted at Trump.

Delicious. More fuel to the fire.

Haley has confirmed on the Today Show that her comments in the rebuttal last night were indeed targeted at Trump.

She hemmed a little bit on CBS and said it referred to "lots of things" and insinuated BLM stuff but she did specifically say it included Trump too.

Confirmed it already? I thought it was going to be a Carly Simon type situation where we'd be wondering years from now who she was talking about.

HylianTom

Banned
Would be neat if he got an approval rating bounce, but I don't think that typically comes with a SOTU.
Back when SOTU had huge ratings, Bill Clinton used to get pretty sizeable approval ratings boosts after his yearly addresses. I haven't kept track in a long time, so I'm not sure if it happens to such extent anymore. He was usually an outlier.

And here's the Today Show link:
http://www.today.com/news/nikki-haley-donald-trump-has-contributed-irresponsible-talk-t66746

South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley defended her response to Tuesday's State of the Union, confirming to TODAY's Matt Lauer she was referring to Donald Trump as one of the "angriest voices" she mentioned.

"Mr. Trump has definitely contributed to what I think is just irresponsible talk," she told Matt in an interview Wednesday.

Diablos

I'll watch the rebuttal tomorrow. State of the union was fantastic, Obama going out strong.

Judging from the comments here, the republicans already hate the rebuttal? Maybe Trump can offer to be the real voice of conservatives.
It's all coming together, dramatis. GOP is semi-imploding. Now we just have to hope Comey doesn't have Hillary dragged out of her campaign bus in handcuffs. I am only half kidding when I say that sadly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really, really wish Biden had run. I think once he got in the race he would have convinced a lot of voters to move to him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
http://bdistricting.com/2010/

Thought you might find this interesting. It runs an algorithm to produce equal-population areas constrained by minimum travel time to the geographic centre of each area for almost all the US states' congressional districts and state house districts. Some states aren't that different - a small portion of Florida aside, for example, gerrymandering isn't so bad. Some are atrocious - Ohio (although we all knew that).

http://bdistricting.com/2010/

Thought you might find this interesting. It runs an algorithm to produce equal-population areas constrained by minimum travel time to the geographic centre of each area for almost all the US states' congressional districts and state house districts. Some states aren't that different - a small portion of Florida aside, for example, gerrymandering isn't so bad. Some are atrocious - Ohio (although we all knew that).

That is interesting.

Wish there was a before/after pic, tho.

dramatis

It's all coming together, dramatis. GOP is semi-imploding. Now we just have to hope Comey doesn't have Hillary dragged out of her campaign bus in handcuffs. I am only half kidding when I say that sadly.
Would be great if you could also boot Toomey out of PA

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh!

Very cool, then.

Yes. Algorithmic boundary setting is another thing I think that Sanders should push hard (or Clinton, but this will be opposed by the minority of Dem members who do benefit from gerrymandering, so I don't know how hard she'd push it). I wouldn't do it quite like this guy - I'd pick travel time, not geographic distance, to population-weighted centre, not geographic centre - but then the guy who set this algorithm basically agrees with both of those points and only didn't do a map for them because you need a hell of a computer to solve (each of those maps takes about 4 hours to generate as is).

EDIT: daaaamn, Maryland is atrocious.

If Hillary carries PA she will take care of that
Yeah, can't see PA splitting if the Democrat wins it by 5+ points.

Hoping Dems are at least able to take PA, OH, FL, NH, WI and IL for the Senate, which would give them 52 seats.

Anything past that would take some pretty profound circumstances; MO our Dem is raising gobs of money but I don't know how competitive he'll be against a fairly noncontroversial incumbent, AZ is mostly dependent on McCain losing the primary, IN same if some whack job wins it, and NC would probably come in a wave. I know we got a good recruit in Arkansas too, but let's be real.

Diablos

Yeah, can't see PA splitting if the Democrat wins it by 5+ points.

Hoping Dems are at least able to take PA, OH, FL, NH, WI and IL for the Senate, which would give them 52 seats.

Anything past that would take some pretty profound circumstances; MO our Dem is raising gobs of money but I don't know how competitive he'll be against a fairly noncontroversial incumbent, AZ is mostly dependent on McCain losing the primary, IN same if some whack job wins it, and NC would probably come in a wave. I know we got a good recruit in Arkansas too, but let's be real.

I just hope Hillary can find a way to be electable. It's very surprising and unsettling when Sanders is performing better against the top GOPers.

HylianTom

Banned
I just hope Hillary can find a way to be electable. It's very surprising and unsettling when Sanders is performing better against the top GOPers.
One thing that was encouraging about Hillary's electability: after the Benghazi hearing, her numbers improved noticeably. We could look back and almost argue that the afterglow of that event was the high point of her campaign thus far. She seems awkward when fighting a Democratic primary opponent - which is the nature of close-quarters fighting for many politicians, honestly - but she seemed perfectly at home sparring with Republicans.. which is what the order of the day will be for 9+ months later on this year.

It was weird and memorable seeing folks who are normally silent or detractors cheering her on when she dished out more than what she was taking. And it flies against the "the more they see her, the less they like" theory. She's not going to exist in a vacuum.. she'll have a GOP foil. And at this rate, it's looking to be a really nice one.

Diablos

Remains to be seen. The dynamic will change once the GOP primary winds down. Hillary is not doing much to inspire or even stay on the radar while GOP candidates dominate the news. That in and of itself is bad. She can't afford the e-mail scandal to actually turn out something that could put her in real legal trouble; even with things as they are now she's not doing much for herself.

I'm just really disappointed in her candidacy thus far. Once again, the Clintons say they run like they're going to lose but certainly don't act the part.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Do we live in different universes that are somehow connected through NeoGAF?

I think that's a NeoGAF Gold feature? :D

No Republican was winning in 2008. In fact, the only reason the election appeared to be up for grabs in the media was because Obama was black. Bradley effect and all that. Obama winning in 2008 had almost nothing to do with being a great orator and campaigner. A wet fart would have defeated McCain. Oh, and the Democrats took back the House in 2006 because of it, but somehow this isn't an indication of what's coming?

I thought the opposing party winning mid-terms was usually a thing (at least when you weren't at war)?

In my reality in 2008, Iraq was a giant quagmire that also hurt the war in Afghanistan. The economy collapsed and was heading into the worst recession almost anyone alive would ever experience. And this was after numerous years where the economy outside of the military industrial complex was already contracting or stagnating.

There was no way in fucking hell a Republican was winning. McCain was thrown up there like a lamb to a slaughter. His decision to pick Palin was not a cause of his undoing but rather an act of desperation to fire up the conservative base. The election was lost before he was ever nominated.

In fact, I firmly believe Hillary would have destroyed McCain by much bigger margin that Obama. I think Hillary gets pretty much all of Obama's vote (she's still breaking a ceiling) but also a bunch of whites that still voted McCain due to racism or that didn't vote for the same reason. And the GOP would have been even less motivated to show up (hey we might win cuz will people really vote a black dude in!?!?).

Not to mention, Hillary's case in 2008 was far greater than today. "In 2000, my husband left office and the country was great. Then Bush took over and now it's in shambles. So, here I am, me and Bill, to fix things up again."

And you think that would lose to John McCain during an epic GOP failure in Iraq, Afghan, and a collapsing economy. L. O. Fucking. L.

Obama won the primary because of his skills. But the General was never in doubt. The only question is if it would be a blowout or a demolition.

See, I guess I always remember McCain pre 2008 primaries as a moderate who was heavily liked across the board (Kerry thought about him as a VP pick in 2004 IIRC), and was seen as the Anti-Bush because of how harsh Bush was against him in the 2000 primaries. Along with a fairly hawkish Democrat HRC - I was worried that a moderate Democrat vs a moderate Republican who would be able to avoid the Bush stink because of his moderate stances (at the time) and publicly known political battles against GWB could end poorly.

Part of this is definitely colored by watching Kerry lose to GWB and watching the Dems botch that presidential race. I definitely thought Clinton / the Dem machine at the time could similarly botch a race again. We had spent a lot of energy trying to show everyone how important the 2004 election was going to be (because of SCOTUS replacements); and we had been mostly ignored. Basically I was worried a non-Obama candidate would lead to a similar situation that we had in 2004, an election we should have won but due to voter apathy (economy) + party incompetence + not enough differentiation between the candidates, we would end up somehow pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

But hey, if I'm wrong (and you do make some darn good points), I am super duper happy to be wrong. :D

The primary system has hurt the GOP way more than the Democrats admittedly in the last few elections.

McCain lost because he was facing a once in a generation campaigner and orator. Let's be honest, I think McCain wrecks HRC (mostly because I think he doesn't get convinced to go Palin against HRC) in the General Election.

Bill Clinton? Ronald Reagan?

Do we live in different universes that are somehow connected through NeoGAF?

No Republican was winning in 2008. In fact, the only reason the election appeared to be up for grabs in the media was because Obama was black. Bradley effect and all that. Obama winning in 2008 had almost nothing to do with being a great orator and campaigner. A wet fart would have defeated McCain. Oh, and the Democrats took back the House in 2006 because of it, but somehow this isn't an indication of what's coming?

In my reality in 2008, Iraq was a giant quagmire that also hurt the war in Afghanistan. The economy collapsed and was heading into the worst recession almost anyone alive would ever experience. And this was after numerous years where the economy outside of the military industrial complex was already contracting or stagnating.

There was no way in fucking hell a Republican was winning. McCain was thrown up there like a lamb to a slaughter. His decision to pick Palin was not a cause of his undoing but rather an act of desperation to fire up the conservative base. The election was lost before he was ever nominated.

In fact, I firmly believe Hillary would have destroyed McCain by much bigger margin that Obama. I think Hillary gets pretty much all of Obama's vote (she's still breaking a ceiling) but also a bunch of whites that still voted McCain due to racism or that didn't vote for the same reason. And the GOP would have been even less motivated to show up (hey we might win cuz will people really vote a black dude in!?!?).

Not to mention, Hillary's case in 2008 was far greater than today. "In 2000, my husband left office and the country was great. Then Bush took over and now it's in shambles. So, here I am, me and Bill, to fix things up again."

And you think that would lose to John McCain during an epic GOP failure in Iraq, Afghan, and a collapsing economy. L. O. Fucking. L.

Obama won the primary because of his skills. But the General was never in doubt. The only question is if it would be a blowout or a demolition.

Absolutely this, especially Palin being a desperation pick. And let's make the point even clearer-- it might have been closer if not for the economy collapsing, but McCain was never, ever going to win as a huge hawk in 2008 when just about everybody was sick of war in the middle east.

Bill Clinton? Ronald Reagan?

Obama is 15 years younger than Clinton. Beyond the years he didn't come of age during Vietnam and its aftermath so its fair to say they're of different generations. That said, HRC would have pounded McCain in '08 though I doubt she would have gotten a better margin than Obama.

The out party usually gains in midterms, but it can't go unsaid how bad 2006 was for Republicans. Put it this way, no incumbent Democrat at the House, Senate or gubernatorial level lost, nor did Republicans gain any open D-held seats.

McCain was the best candidate the GOP could have hoped for, but he wasn't winning. I think I'll retract my previous statement about Hillary winning by a smaller margin, I think it would have shook out about the same. The EV count might have been smaller because I imagine Hillary would have played a narrower field though, unlike Obana who was spending everywhere because why not (this is how he won Indiana)

Btw Democrats picked up a 70-30 Romney Senate seat in Oklahoma last night. Wish they would start winning these in places that matter lol

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Eh, fair enough - seems like I am pretty wrong about the 2008 election then. :D But I'm not going to be too upset over being told that the Dems would have won anyway. :D

I think Clinton would've lost Indiana(no bleed over home state bounce from Illinois), North Carolina(black turnout probably would be much lower), and Colorado(youth weren't that excited) and won Missouri, Arkansas, and West Virginia.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, so it looks like that Bush on Rubio savagery ruffled some feathers

Republicans warn Bush team against harming Rubio
‘Does he want his legacy to be that he elected Donald Trump,’ GOP strategist asks.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...am-against-harming-rubio-217651#ixzz3x8no095h

Some of these quotes tho:
“This thing has been mismanaged and screwed up since the beginning,” said a Jeb Bush backer in the Washington area who worked in both previous Bush administrations. “It’s gotten to the point where the old-timers are saying ‘it’s really sad.’ How as presumptive leader with $100 million in the bank did you get yourself in a box where you have to attack Rubio and Christie to win your lane?”

The best though is this:
Both of Bush’s events Tuesday drew more people than staffers had expected, a sign, supporters say, that he could still be a factor, especially with a strong organization able to harvest whatever support he has. “Survey research indicates that 70 percent of the people are still undecided. The calling our campaign is doing yields about that same number,” said David Orman, a top Bush adviser in Iowa. “That is not out of line with caucus precedent: people break late.”

THAT HOPE

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think Clinton would've lost Indiana(no bleed over home state bounce from Illinois), North Carolina(black turnout probably would be much lower), and Colorado(youth weren't that excited) and won Missouri, Arkansas, and West Virginia.

I don't think she would have won Arkansas. The draw on Arkansas was Bill's, not hers; she's never been quite as well received there and besides Arkansas is one of the rare states demographically trending Republican. I also don't think she'd have taken West Virginia, McCain won it by a 13-point margin. Conversely, I don't think she'd have lost Colorado for similar reasons. If Clinton had beaten Obama in 2012, comparatively she'd have lost Indiana and North Carolina, and won Missouri instead. Possibly lost Florida too, but I doubt that. Still a pretty convincing 310-228, though.

Teggy

I don't know why anyone would pay attention to a poll by the failing, low energy Des Moines Register. Terrible!

And re: that graph - Massholes are the best!

I'm just really disappointed in her candidacy thus far. Once again, the Clintons say they run like they're going to lose but certainly don't act the part.

She's dominated every single debate so far and has been pushing a pretty damn liberal agenda. What else can she do to inspire confidence beyond that?

Also, she's not going to be indicted. Period. Stop Diablosing, Diablos.

HylianTom

Banned
.@SamWangPhD is on Twitter this morning talking about what we discussed yesterday: the idea that Trump is getting more theoretical second-pick support from "establishment" candidates than many realize, and that it's hurting establishment prospects.

TPM has this new piece out:
Why The Conventional Wisdom Is Wrong About The Plight Of GOP Moderates
But even if the establishment finds itself with one candidate to rally around, there is no guarantee, experts say that voters will automatically move from one establishment candidate to another. It just doesn't work that way.

"It's absurd," says Larry Sabato, a political science professor at the University of Virginia. "There is no such thing as supporters of one candidate moving en masse to another candidate even if we think it makes logical sense."

That is because, Sabato says, voters don't just cast ballots because they support a candidate's position on immigration or the economy. Aside from a few hardcore policy wonks, most American voters support a candidate because they like them. They may like their demeanor, their approach to government or a host of other things that a simple poll cannot take into account.

"They are choosing among human beings not automatons," Sabato says.

And when a voters' first choice candidate drops out of the race, they don't automatically support the next guy in line who ideologically matches them.

"Suppose Chris Christie emerged as the remaining candidate, he has a prickly personality. You either love him or you hate him," Sabato says. "Not every establishment candidate supporter is going to go vote for him."

Love that description of Christie as "prickly." Not sure why.

He's also pointing out that the ongoing circular firing squad among establishments (Rubio & Christie fighting, Christie & Paul sniping, Bush & Rubio sparring, etc) points to an underlying faith that the party will still end-up deciding - but that this might only apply in "normal" cycles.

{interesting side note: GAF's forum software won't allow users to start a post with an "@" symbol. Neat quirk.}

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
that thing about voters not choosing candidates for logical reasons supports what I was saying earlier about why Sanders plays better with undecideds in the GE. Hillary can't win the HUELEN vote.

.@SamWangPhD is on Twitter this morning talking about what we discussed yesterday: the idea that Trump is getting more theoretical second-pick support from "establishment" candidates than many realize, and that it's hurting establishment prospects.

TPM has this new piece out:
Why The Conventional Wisdom Is Wrong About The Plight Of GOP Moderates

Love that description of Christie as "prickly." Not sure why.

He's also pointing out that the ongoing circular firing squad among establishments (Rubio & Christie fighting, Christie & Paul sniping, Bush & Rubio sparring, etc) points to an underlying faith that the party will still end-up deciding - but that this might only apply in "normal" cycles.

{interesting side note: GAF's forum software won't allow users to start a post with an "@" symbol. Neat quirk.}

The whole Christie thing exemplifies this the best. Christie was basically gonna play the Trump part, if this election didn't get so crazy. He was gonna be the "loudmouth straightshooter with no filter."

It's also getting to the point (or it might be there, haven't added up polls) where the aggregate non-establishment support is greater than the establishment support altogether. It's a very losing strategy what these dumb dumbs are doing.

i get its all politics, but the quick response is really desperate
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...f-a-moment-in-macho-foreign-policy-posturing/
If you recall Romney's press conference the night of the Benghazi attacks, it's not that surprising. Republicans desperately want to delegitimize Obama's foreign policy because it would cripple his legacy. The economy and Obamacare have worked out about as well as they could have, he's on the right side of social issues and he's a gifted politician. The only thing that could sink him is a major terrorist attack (or the economy going bad in the eleventh hour), so anytime an incident like this flares up the GOP is going to treat it like one.

It was smart of Obama to put the onus on Congress to declare war on ISIL. Whether we agree on the necessity of that or not, to the average American that's the main thing weighing him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom