• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ohio and FL Democrats are notorious for losing winnable races. Ask Bertram and Adam. They know. 06 is their only bright in a 30+ year downward spiral on the state level.

Since I used to live in Florida and now live in Ohio...is....is it me? Am I doing something wrong? I must be. I hang my head in shame.

I tweeted it at him and everything!

The fact that this is not a bad way to bring something to the attention of a potential President of the United States is both hilarious AND sad.

Tomorrow is Thursday. Trump's usual mode of operating is to do or say something attention-grabbing on Thursday afternoon so that he has cycle domination going into the weekend. (And if another candidate tries a stunt on Friday, it's too late, as most folks have checked-out for the weekend by then.)

He likely has something planned for every Thursday for a while, and probably a stunt planned for the day after Iowa, should he lose.

I'm sure he's cooking-up something. It'll be good.

but who's going to care on GAF tomorrow?

lol :p

NeoXChaos

Gabriel Debenedetti ‏@gdebenedetti 25m25 minutes ago
Clinton—already slated to appear in SC and raise money in NC, Texas, & Louisiana next week—just added 5 Iowa events to the public schedule.

well this is interesting.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Also, this bodes well for whoever the nominee is ala Indiana:
Huh, I had the impression the reason Cruz was doing so well in Iowa was due to his excellent ground game. Maybe Bernie and Hillary are just so far beyond him.
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised Cruz is considered the greatest hinderance for the party, but I really though Trump was. Is his slimy behavior really worse than Trump's racially charged, hateful rhetoric?

And yeah, it doesn't seem like the party put a real effort into confronting why they loss in 2012.

User 406

Banned
Anyway if Hillary doesn't get the nom I'm voting for TRUMP so I can get a tax cut

yf2VPeu.gif

Huh, I had the impression the reason Cruz was doing so well in Iowa was due to his excellent ground game. Maybe Bernie and Hillary are just so far beyond him.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised Cruz is considered the greatest hinderance for the party, but I really though Trump was. Is his slimy behavior really worse than Trump's racially charged, hateful rhetoric?

And yeah, it doesn't seem like the party put a real effort into confronting why they loss in 2012.

Ted Cruz's 19% VAT proposal is poison to a party that needs the elderly.

User1608

Banned
I know I shouldn't say anything really considering I can't vote but... Screw all-or-nothing liberals. Never ever let perfect be the enemy of good. Incremental progress is better than stalling or going backwards, even if that progress is slight at times. Compromise truly is for adults.
Just got back from the Obama speech. That was cool. Pics soon.

Even my conservative dad enjoyed it. WE BROKE 'IM
:D cool!

Military budget in total is like $600 billion by comparison and this comes out to about $1.5-1.8 trillion per year. It's an absurdly large number and impossible to accomplish without major new taxes, not just on the 1% (who made a grand TOTAL of about $2 trillion last year) but on everybody.
I found the federal budget tool

I was able to achieve $418b for 2015, which over the next 15 years for a total of $1.4t by (amount on left is for the year, amount on right is overall):
Reduce the tax break for employer-provided health insurance

This option would reduce the tax break for employer-provided health insurance, by slowly adjusting the cap, so that it increases at the rate of economic growth, rather than the growth in health costs – which tends to be significantly faster. Over time, more employer spending on health insurance would be taxed.
$41 billion $157 billion
Return the estate tax to Clinton-era levels

Under President Bill Clinton, the estate tax exempted $1 million from any taxable estate. This level would not grow with inflation over time, subjecting more estates to the tax. The rate would start at 18 percent and climb to 55 percent, as it did in the 1990s. The 55 percent rate would begin at $3 million. If Congress takes no action, this would become law on Jan. 1, 2011.
$50 billion $104 billion
Return rates to Clinton-era levels

This option would return rates to their level under President Bill Clinton: 10 percent on capital gains for low-income households and 20 percent for everyone else, while dividends would again be taxed at the same rate as ordinary income.
$32 billion $46 billion
Allow expiration for income above $250,000 a year

This option would allow the expiration, on Jan. 1, of the Bush tax cuts for the top 2 percent or so of households on the income distribution – those making $250,000 or more. On average, the change would equal about 2 percent of a given household’s pretax income.
$54 billion $115 billion
Payroll tax: Subject some incomes above $106,000 to tax

When the payroll tax – which finances Social Security and Medicare – was created, it covered 90 percent of all income. Today, with a ceiling at $106,800, it covers closer to 80 percent. This option would gradually raise the ceiling, until 90 percent of income was again subject to the tax.
$50 billion $100 billion
Millionaire's tax on income above $1 million

Currently, the top tax brackets starts at about $375,000. In past decades, it started at much higher income level, after inflation is taken into account. This option – which the House passed last year but the Senate did not – would create a new 5.4 percent surtax on income above $1 million.
$50 billion $95 billion
Eliminate loopholes, but keep taxes slightly higher

This option is the same as the previous one – except that tax rates would be cut less, raising more revenue to reduce the deficit.
$136 billion $315 billion
Reduce mortgage deduction and others for high-income households

The benefits of the mortgage-interest deduction (and several other tax breaks) flow mostly to high-income households – because they tend to have larger mortgages and have marginal income-tax rates. This option would reduce the value of some of those breaks to high-income households.
$25 billion $54 billion
National sales tax

Nearly every other rich country has a tax on consumption, also known as a value-added tax or national sales tax. This option would impose a 5 percent consumption tax, exempting education, housing and charitable giving.
$41 billion $281 billion
Carbon tax

This option would tax carbon emissions, starting at $23 per ton of CO2. The tax rate would increase at a constant annual rate of 5.8 percent, from 2012 through 2050. Consumers would receive a partial rebate.
$40 billion $71 billion
Bank Tax

This option would tax banks based on the size of their holdings and the perceived riskiness of those holdings. Larger, riskier banks would pay more tax, both to discourage them from taking big risks and to help cover the costs of future financial crises.
$73 billion $103 billion
Although not entirely accurate, but it does give you a sense of where the money can come from. I was able to save a total of $1.4t by basically bringing back Clinton tax levels and whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't have a prayer in hell to pass the congress. Sanders needs to save 10 times as much as I did. It's impossible without bringing back FDR era income tax levels.

FyreWulff

Nebraska, right?

Yep.

Crowd was fucking LOUD when he came out.

Also, they introduced the President of the University first about a half hour before the Pres arrived, and people heard

"Please welcome the President of"

*cheers*

"the university of Nebraska"

*cheers die down*

edit: he cracked a joke about not being the President people were expecting, so he was a good sport about it.

Ted Cruz would be the most unlikeable person to win a major party candidacy in living memory. Even Nixon had a weird working class, me against the world charisma. He's managed to completely alienate the entire Senate Republican caucus in six years, except Mike Lee. McConnell wouldn't piss on the guy if he was on fire. Its amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I found the federal budget tool

I was able to achieve $418b for 2015, which over the next 15 years for a total of $1.4t by (amount on left is for the year, amount on right is overall):

Although not entirely accurate, but it does give you a sense of where the money can come from. I was able to save a total of $1.4t by basically bringing back Clinton tax levels and whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't have a prayer in hell to pass the congress. Sanders needs to save 10 times as much as I did. It's impossible without bringing back FDR era income tax levels.

Also, a VAT is never going to happen and is incredibly regressive anyway.

Ted Cruz would be the most unlikeable person to win a major party candidacy in living memory. Even Nixon had a weird working class, me against the world charisma. He's managed to completely alienate the entire Senate Republican caucus in six years, except Mike Lee. McConnell wouldn't piss on the guy if he was on fire. Its amazing.

Hey give him some credit, he managed to do that in three years!

Makai

TRUST TED
TRUSTED

REJECT TED
REJECTED

FyreWulff

obama actually at the podium, talking. This arena's sound system was really good.. it sounded like we were listening to him talk on TV, was that clear and loud. What I found interesting was that they didn't use the video screens

He did in fact turn around and point at everybody up in the nosebleeds.

and a little bit of video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whs8pZvp_s8&feature=youtu.be

Wasn't going to waste this visit staring through a viewfinder, so that's it! Also, Secret Service security checkpoints don't fuck around.

User 406

Banned
SuperPAC ad that details how Cruz failed to report his Goldman Sachs loan, finishing with

BUST TED
BUSTED

I NEED THIS

Edit: FUCK BEAT TEN BEATEN

dakini

I was at his speech in Omaha as well! This was my second time seeing him. The first was when he stopped in Council Bluffs, IA back in 2012. Read an article in the OWH when I got home and they said that there were 11,000 people in the arena and it was only meant to hold 8,000. The crowd was great! We got in line at 10:30, so we were only about 500~ people from the front of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom