• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

Well...I mean, that's not really how it works. However, Gore screwed up a lot in 2000. His mistakes would have been minimized if Nader hadn't run. Nader wasn't the sole problem, but he contributed to the problems that cost Gore the election.

And, apparently, my brother voted for Nader in 2000. Although we don't talk politics, I'm fairly sure he's a fiscally conservative but socially liberal Republican. I feel shame.
Keep in mind this is in the context of a discussion that blames disillusioned voters first, and completely ignores any responsibility of the people in power. If people believe that, it's fine but then ordinary voters are also to blame for nearly every other thing that ails the country.

That's not a plan. That's an idea. Does she even have a one page paper on how to get there?

Bernie doesn't want to dismantle either and you know that it's a lie that he would want to... Because he would.be expanind an already in place system of Medicare.

By getting rid of everything else we already have, including CHIP, Medicaid and private insurance. His plan, which is politically unfeasible, would get rid of the ACA. I have no problems with moving towards single payer, but it's not reasonable. It will not happen in 4 or 8 years. So, if this is Bernie's only plan, and it inevitably fails, what then? How does he want to make the ACA better.

I also disagree that incremental will work.

No matter what you do it will always be a bitter fight to get progress... So if we're gonna waste capital... You might as well go for the goal...

Because that's what the other side is doing in their "negotiations."

Keep in mind this is in the context of a discussion that blames disillusioned voters first, and completely ignores any responsibility of the people in power. If people believe that, it's fine but then ordinary voters are also to blame for nearly every other thing that ails the country.

Absolutely. You think I won't blame the average person? The average person is dumb, but the universal franchise is the best system we have that doesn't install oligarchies automatically.

No matter what you do it will always be a bitter fight to get progress... So if we're gonna waste capital... You might as well go for the goal...

Progress can go backwards. That's what you're forgetting. Every single thing Obama did could be gone in 4 years if the GOP dominate government after 2016.

By getting rid of everything else we already have, including CHIP, Medicaid and private insurance. His plan, which is politically unfeasible, would get rid of the ACA. I have no problems with moving towards single payer, but it's not reasonable. It will not happen in 4 or 8 years. So, if this is Bernie's only plan, and it inevitably fails, what then? How does he want to make the ACA better.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there?

Right. We tried that. We lost. We didn't get the public option even when we had control of the House and a Super Majority in the Senate. This is not a winning argument. We couldn't get an optional public option through, but we can magically get Medicare for everyone through.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right. We tried that. We lost. We didn't get the public option even when we had control of the House and a Super Majority in the Senate. This is not a winning argument. We couldn't get an optional public option through, but we can magically get Medicare for everyone through.

Didn't the medicare expansion also get struck down by the supreme court?

We'll cross that bridge when we get there?

The bridge that's called "middle class voters move to the GOP when they lose access to their private insurance at their job and the public insurance while cheaper is less expansive and in some cases that will be highlighted by billionaire PAC's over and over again."

That's not even getting into the fact that Canadian or British style single payer isn't the best plan - give me France's or Germany's health care plan anyday.

Yeah we did lose.

So lets try it again?

Maybe it.isn't feasible. And you guys are probably right... It would be next to impossible to do.

But maybe this next time.... We get something a little strong by going strong in the first place.

Didn't the medicare expansion also get struck down by the supreme court?
Not exactly. Originally Obamacare mandated that every state expand Medicaid or they'd lose their Medicaid funding, SCOTUS declared that unconstitutional leverage over the states which is why Wisconsin, Texas etc. don't have it. But more states opted in than didn't including several red states like Ohio.

East Lake

Absolutely. You think I won't blame the average person? The average person is dumb, but the universal franchise is the best system we have that doesn't install oligarchies automatically.
So, you like democracy because dumb people occasionally have some utility for you?

The bridge that's called "middle class voters move to the GOP when they lose access to their private insurance at their job and the public insurance while cheaper is less expansive and in some cases that will be highlighted by billionaire PAC's over and over again."

That's not even getting into the fact that Canadian or British style single payer isn't the best plan - give me France's or Germany's health care plan anyday.

Well honestly I would be fine with a Japanese style system.

But that's still a lot of contentious debates. People are acting like making ACA better isn't going to come with a bunch of push back by the GOP. It will have the same.amount when the ACA was first started.

Yeah we did lose.

So lets try it again?

Maybe it.isn't feasible. And you guys are probably right... It would be next to impossible to do.

But maybe this next time.... We get something a little strong by going strong in the first place.

...or we fail horribly like we did in '94, and lose the chance for major reform for a generation. Public policy isn't like baseball, you just can't go back to the batting cage the next day. Any kind of major reform that months of works of dealing with Congresspeople, stakeholders, public policy experts, economists, and so on, and so forth.

That's not even going into the fact there is limited time in a session, so every day you're spending on health care is a day you're not spending on racial justice issues or LGBT issues or tax policy or a million other things that are also important.

So, you like democracy because dumb people occasionally have some utility for you?

If there was a way to have a technocracy that'd actually be a net positive in the long run, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, I see no evidence that is possible with humanity.

How does this happen, what in history is evidence for this?

The US doesnt live in a vacuum. The center-left is dying in all the major western countries. And Sanders + Occupy Wallstreet are testament of that.

and wow poor Clinton even when she wins she loses!

ccording to a dial-test focus group of 30 undecided South Carolinians (all likely Democratic primary voters) being held in Charleston by Chris Kofinis of Park Street Strategies: "Sanders, 29-to-1 -- blowout."
The group includes 14 African Americans; 15 men and 15 women.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/live-...winner-of-the-first-hour-217922#ixzz3xYzwjE5t

tbh most (the very few of them) undecided voters are undecided because they lean Sanders

The US doesnt live in a vacuum. The center-left is dying in all the major western countries. And Sanders + Occupy Wallstreet are testament of that.

tbh most (the very few of them) undecided voters are undecided because they lean Sanders

I don't think that Kofinis understands what undecided is supposed to mean...but sure.

Not exactly. Originally Obamacare mandated that every state expand Medicaid or they'd lose their Medicaid funding, SCOTUS declared that unconstitutional leverage over the states which is why Wisconsin, Texas etc. don't have it. But more states opted in than didn't including several red states like Ohio.

I wonder when a state like Texas will ever expand Medicaid. Every swing state or blue state will get Medicaid expansion eventually and the less ideological red states in the west will probably start acquiescing soon, but red states like Texas and Alabama only seem to elect the biggest and loudest wingnut assholes to office. It seems like they'll never do it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Like I pointed out in the other thread, focus groups are good for finding out why people are going a certain way not for finding out which way people are going.

Found this pic of O'Malley from tonight's debate
image.jpg

Like I pointed out in the other thread, focus groups are good for finding out why people are going a certain way not for finding out which way people are going.

Man seriously let me dream. This night has been terrible, I need something to hold on to something. ;__;

The only thing that's going to come out of this debate is Bernie flatly saying "taxes are going to increase for some middle class families."

The End.

The children in the debate OT do not realize this, but this is going to damage Berns.

User1608

Banned
The only thing that's going to come out of this debate is Bernie flatly saying "taxes are going to increase for some middle class families."

The End.

The children in the debate OT do not realize this, but this is going to damage Berns.
Indeed. It's not fair but it's reality and why one needs to be kind of crafty/pragmatic with how they word things and formulate policy/details in politics.

L O L
Ted Cruz on Sunday swapped his tinge of Texas twang for an attempt at an upper-crust Boston accent as he asserted here in New England that former President John F. Kennedy would be a Republican today.

“JFK campaigned on tax cuts, limiting government and standing up and defeating Soviet communists,” he said in a packed room at a restaurant here, his first stop on a swing through New Hampshire. “JFK would be a Republican today. He stood for religious liberty, and he would be tarred and feathered by the modern Democratic Party.”

He delivered those remarks in a town near the Massachusetts border, a state where the Kennedys have deep roots and are lionized as liberal heroes.

“As JFK said,” Cruz continued, dropping his “r’s” as he aimed to assume a New England accent, “’Some men see things as they are and ask, Why? I see things that never were and ask, why not?’ These are the principles that work.”

Holmes

Good debate. But as for who won... hmm. Not O'Malley. I don't think Sanders knocked it out of the park like he needed to, and admitting to raising taxes on the middle class will be a damning sound bite. Clinton did good on the issues she's good with and she didn't stumble on the ones she's not strong on. O'Malley sounded desperate.

Good debate. But as for who won... hmm. Not O'Malley. I don't think Sanders knocked it out of the park like he needed to, and admitting to raising taxes on the middle class will be a damning sound bite. Clinton did good on the issues she's good with and she didn't stumble on the ones she's not strong on. O'Malley sounded desperate.
The Wall Steet question will kill her. If not in the primary, certainly in the general. She doesn't have a believable answer.

HylianTom

Banned
You might as well thread that.

If anyone here wants to, they're welcome to take the image. As a rule, I try to avoid any and all thread-making activities (especially of the controversial variety). I'm a coward in that regard, and it's served me well over the years.

The only thread I'd still like to do for 2016, assuming Hillary is the nominee, is The Compendium of SNL Political Sketches of the 1990s. And that'd mainly be because there are going to be a LOT of references to that material, especially if the Clintons are in the political spotlight for the next 5-9 years.

Bernie fumbled on the gun issue. Hillary was able to hit him hard on that. Again, he cannot formulate a response to that because his position is and has always been wrong. He won't come out and admit it, although he did take a look at it. Bernie again showed he cannot answer a single question without going back to his stump speech. I'm not sure if he lacks the instinct to do that, or he simply just don't want to do that. If I had to guess, it's a little bit of both.

The sound bite will be Bernie admitting he is going to raise taxes. Because he is. He's going to raise taxes on everyone. When we get into the "Ya...but...." I still don't think that's an argument he's going to win.

Hillary was the only one who mentioned LGBT issues tonight. She's the one who brought up Flint. Again, Bernie missed the whole point of the point of the Bill Clinton question, and managed to get his "disgusting" line in there again. Which...again, was the entire problem from the beginning.

I think Martin had a decent enough night. I don't think it changes anything because there's nothing there to change.

Hillary, wisely, reminded voters that she's the Democrat in the race. Her embrace of Obama was smart, politically and electorally. She also used it to subtly remind Democrats that Bernie hasn't been there like she has been.

There were several VERY bad optical moments for Bernie. His refusal to look up during the gun exchange, his sighs and the repeated question weren't great looks for him. (Only two of which were his fault.)

So, basically....nothing has changed. I think Hillary did what she needed to do. Bernie didn't land any blows to Hillary. Martin was adorable, and I want to have his babies.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The End.

Is there a way to sell universal healthcare without pointing out the fact that taxes will rise for some middle class families, but those families will be saving money once you take into account their savings from not paying for health insurance?

It's an unavoidable fact about universal healthcare. Did all those other countries that passed it somehow avoid that fact? I don't see how universal healthcare can ever pass without voters understanding that net savings is more important than net taxes.

I feel like people are getting way too hung up in the horse race side of this. We need to remember his role as a vehicle to get progressive ideas out there to not just to push Hillary left, but to push the general public left as well. Something that most people here seemed to agree with back when he was polling in the teens.

I suppose it's easy to forget that after months of the irritating Hillary and Bernie fans taking over Poligaf to relentlessly argue about electablity.

Is there a way to sell universal healthcare without pointing out the fact that taxes will rise for some middle class families, but those families will be saving money once you take into account their savings from not paying for health insurance?

It's an unavoidable fact about universal healthcare. Did all those other countries that passed it somehow avoid that fact? I don't see how universal healthcare can ever pass without voters understanding that net savings is more important than net taxes.

I feel like people are getting way too hung up in the horse race side of this. We need to remember his role as a vehicle to get progressive ideas out there to not just to push Hillary left, but to push the general public left as well. Something that most people here seemed to agree with back when he was polling in the teens.

I suppose it's easy to forget that after months of the irritating Hillary and Bernie fans taking over Poligaf to relentlessly argue about electablity.

Most other countries, even if they don't love taxes, simply don't have the "Vampire when he sees a cross" level of fear of increased taxes that modern America does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom