• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life's tough for straight, white cis men.
The poor ones, yeah. I mean, I still don't have the keys to the executive bathroom! Can you believe that?!

When you have to invalidate my struggle to advance yours, that's when you lose me and we all start fighting for ourselves. See Right Populism.

And this is why identity politics is going to work to keep capitalism running. Everyone backs into their little special identity and then they fight each other for perks for their little (and much more easily surmounted or paid off) groups instead of banding together.

You can get booted from your apartment because you're gay? Cool, I can get booted into the street for not having enough income. Should we fight for which corner on which to beg too? Oh, you don't have a problem with housing being denied based on access to income? That's totally ok, right? At least I wasn't kicked out of my apartment for being gay.

You can get fired for being gay? Cool, I can get fired for any reason at all. I'm a Cis white male, there aren't really any claims I can make for discrimination.

Daniel B·;192650579 said:
I'm going to assume that you aren't still pushing Hillary's feeble "but, you promised not to raise Middle Class taxes" line, when Fox News viewers wouldn't have trouble understanding the basic principle, and instead focus on a far more realistic question; how would Bernie ensure that you don't end up paying your private healthcare premiums, at the same time as a new healthcare tax?

I don't have an answer, but I sure as shit know that if we can bail out Wall St., to the tune of trillions of dollars, for a crisis created entirely by the downright illegal behavior of those concerned, the "most powerful nation on Earth", can surely find a way to finance a transition to universal healthcare, which would represent a "yuge" step forward for the American people, without it imposing a financial burden on them.

The headline on CNN during the debate was that Bernie was going to raise taxes. You are completely overselling the American people here if you think a Fox News viewer is going to agree and understand that raising their taxes is a good thing.

But, you do bring up a good point, there would have to be a time where people are paying both private and the increased Berniecare tax, wouldn't there? I can't believe the system would work seamlessly that it just rolls over one day to the next one. Mabye it could, though.

And, I believe we can transition to universal healthcare, but it's not going to happen overnight with a bill like Bernie's.

Kasich-mentum is just people cycling through the options, guys. Chill. He'll go down eventually, same as everybody else.

Or ARG running a crappy poll, as roland mentioned.

Also that Trump stage is ok. Was even expected that he'd eventually try to use cowboys for something.

You can get booted from your apartment because you're gay? Cool, I can get booted into the street for not having enough income. Should we fight for which corner on which to beg too? Oh, you don't have a problem with housing being denied based on access to income? That's totally ok, right? At least I wasn't kicked out of my apartment for being gay.

You can get fired for being gay? Cool, I can get fired for any reason at all. I'm a Cis white male, there aren't really any claims I can make for discrimination.

Um, anyone can get booted from their apartment if they don't pay the rent. That's not even close to an argument. We are both white, we are both male. Assuming we both have money for the rent, you would not be kicked out of your apartment for getting married to a woman. There's a chance that I could get kicked out of mine for marrying a man. I definitely have a problem with the lack of affordable housing. I have the ability to be concerned about more than one issue simultaneously.

Oh yes, because the straight white males are constantly under attack in this country. Come on now. If you're fired for being a guy, you can sue all you want. That would be sex discrimination.

Won't someone please think of all these underprivileged straight, white males out there!

But, again, thanks for proving my point. .

PBY

Banned
Kasich-mentum is just people cycling through the options, guys. Chill. He'll go down eventually, same as everybody else.

Or ARG running a crappy poll, as roland mentioned.

Also that Trump stage is ok. Was even expected that he'd eventually try to use cowboys for something.

Pretty much, or a bad poll. I actually think itd be disastrous if Rubio places like that in NH. That would be scorched earth bad for the party.

CCS

Banned
The poor ones, yeah. I mean, I still don't have the keys to the executive bathroom! Can you believe that?!

When you have to invalidate my struggle to advance yours, that's when you lose me and we all start fighting for ourselves. See Right Populism.

And this is why identity politics is going to work to keep capitalism running. Everyone backs into their little special identity and then they fight each other for perks for their little (and much more easily surmounted or paid off) groups instead of banding together.

Come on man, don't do this.

benjipwns

Banned
If you're fired for being a guy, you can sue all you want. That would be sex discrimination.
Has there been any cases where the person has won this? I'm genuinely ignorant and interested.

I wouldn't imagine male to rise above rational basis if that.

EDIT: I forgot about this case lol
A Texas man has reportedly settled a class action lawsuit against Hooters for refusing to hire men as food servers.

Nikolai Grushevski filed a complaint against Hooters of America in January alleging its Corpus Christi franchisee would not hire him as a waiter because the position was being limited to females by an employer "who merely wishes to exploit female sexuality as a marketing tool to attract customers and insure profitability."

Hooters argued a “bona-fide occupational qualification” defense, which applies when the “essence of the business operation would be undermined if the business eliminated its discriminatory policy,” according to Onpointnews.com.

“If we lose this go around, you can next expect hairy-legged guys in the Rockettes to line up and male models in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue." Hooters' vice president of marketing said, according to Onpointnews.com.

But the website reported that court records show that Grushevski and Hooters reached a confidential settlement on April 13.

Grushevski was suing on behalf of “all males across the country who applied for the position of waiter at a Hooters restaurant and were denied,” and suggested all Hooters franchisees be certified as defendants, Onpointnews.com reported. The settlement however applies only to the Corpus Christi franchisee.

HylianTom

Banned
rtx1i3c2.jpg

There are moments where I am in awe at a candidate's ability to pick a stage. This is one.

He chose.. wisely.

CCS

Banned
Has there been any cases where the person has won this? I'm genuinely ignorant and interested.

Been a fair few here in the UK too. Harder to find US ones because Chrome keeps throwing UK cases at me.

I'm not sure of any specific cases. However, I applied for a job at a school when I lived in Florida. It was the school my mom taught at. Everyone knew me there. I had done like 1600 hours of volunteer work each year through high school. I interviewed for a job after passing the certification test. Got a perfect score.

The principal interviewed me and offered me the job on the spot Told me to go talk to the teacher I'd be working for to finalize everything and come back and talk to her. The teacher flat out refused to want me in her classroom because I was a guy. She said it to my face. I went back to the principal and told her what she said. Suffice it to say, I had a call from the school board a few days later letting me know that wasn't their policy, and I was welcome to work in any classroom I wanted regardless of my gender.

I didn't take the job, though.

benjipwns

Banned
Oh, how did I forget the Archie thing:
The co-CEO of Archie Comics' says she couldn’t have discriminated against her underlings - because they’re white men.

In papers filed in Westchester Supreme Court, Nancy Silberkleit's lawyer says a gender discrimination lawsuit filed against her earlier this year by a group of Archie Comics employees should be tossed in part because white guys aren’t members of “a protected class.”

The embattled co-CEO's filing also mocked the five employees’ claim that she’d used her “gender as a weapon” by yelling “Penis! Penis! Penis!” during a business meeting.

“[T]he word ‘penis’ became somewhat of a campaign slogan and her preferred method of referring to employees in lieu of their names,” their new filing says.

Silberkleit told the Daily News on Friday that she's baffled by the bevy of allegations against her, including claims she's "stalked" employees and made them feel "unsafe."

"It's cruel and mean and inaccurate," the former art teacher said.

"I do not act the way it's been reported," she said, calling the accusations "extremely damaging to myself and Archie Comics."

But her fellow CEO, Jonathan Goldwater, filed suit seeking her ouster her in 2011, charging she was unstable and threatening to run the company into the ground.

That case settled last year, with an agreement that Silberkleit would have limited interactions with the employees, and that a go-between would represent her interests with the company.

The dispute erupted again earlier this year, when the go-between Silberkleit selected, Samuel Levitin, filed papers in Westchester Surrogate’s Court charging that she’d become unhinged - and even wanted to tart up beloved characters Betty and Veronica. He said she needed to be removed altogether.

Silberkleit responded with claims Levitin had sexually harassed her – and demanded that he get the boot. That case is still pending.

Then in October came the $32.5 million suit by the Archie employees. They're seeking a court order keeping her two miles away from the office, and say her “deliberate and disturbed campaign of outrageous conduct” has them so freaked out an armed guard's been posted in the office.

Silberkleit, they say, invited Hell’s Angels to Archie’s Mamaroneck offices in an apparent effort to “intimidate” them, and has repeatedly inquired about the whereabouts of the handgun and 750 rounds of ammo her husband kept at the office. She's also stalked the employees and their families, the suit says.

But I really can't find any examples of like a real firing or getting evicted or something for being male. Lots of transgender males and gay males cases of varying degrees of dumb to horrifying (transgender male suing to be reinstated to police force after "misconduct"...no one should be allowed to carry out violence for the state and get rewarded for it) coming up but that's not really what I was looking for.

Actually the only ones I'm getting are from last year, all MRA's suing to get into ladies only nights and ladies only clubs and bullshit like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

User1608

Banned
SCOTUS is going to hear the immigration appeal. I've wondered about the constitutionality of this order as soon as it was issued, and now we'll have our answer.

And now we have a major political football that'll be thrown onto the field in the middle of the year.
I'll hope for the best. This kind of thing is something that will help so many and yeah, of course I'm biased.
Fantastic! Love and follow HRC.
Ya, after I posted it I realized....

But, the question does HRC 2008 endorse HRC 2016?

Discuss.

10 Promises HIllary has made on LGBT Rights

Here's a really cool article that discusses some of HIllary's policy proposals among LGBT people. I like how she's focusing on trans rights. It's rarely talked about by some parts of my community. That saddens me.
Definitely love Hillary and reading this makes me :). I'm so happy she's included us in her campaign promises. I really hope she can accomplish as much as possible if she becomes POTUS.

CCS

Banned
As an outsider looking in, Clinton is certainly one of the US politicians I admire most over LGBT issues. Has she always been perfect? Not necessarily, but very few have. Do I believe that she's always had good intentions and wanted to be a good ally and advocate for LGBT rights? Certainly.

As an outsider looking in, Clinton is certainly one of the US politicians I admire most over LGBT issues. Has she always been perfect? Not necessarily, but very few have. Do I believe that she's always had good intentions and wanted to be a good ally and advocate for LGBT rights? Certainly.

Agreed. Obviously.

One thing that's really spoken to me about her stances is her understanding of trans issues. As a CIS gay male, I have not been the advocate I should have been. I am woefully under educated, and I've been trying to learn and understand how I can be better on this issue.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So Trump mentioned that special guest appearance today:
“That I won’t say," Trump said. I am a big fan of Sarah Palin, but I’m not saying who it is.”
“It’s a very big event planned, and I think everyone’s going to be very impressed. And nobody knows who it is, and that’s fine," he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/trump-sarah-palin-rally-217967#ixzz3xiFskJ3L

I love how in trumps world there is only everyone and nobody.

Only mostly a sith speaks in indefinite pronouns

gaugebozo

Pretty much, or a bad poll. I actually think itd be disastrous if Rubio places like that in NH. That would be scorched earth bad for the party.
It doesn't even have to be "bad." You'd expect this sort of swing occasionally regardless of method or pollster. Wait till there's some other polls backing it up. A more likely reason is that he got a 1-2% bump and they polled a group of people with an unusually large proportion of Kasich supporters.

Um, anyone can get booted from their apartment if they don't pay the rent. That's not even close to an argument. We are both white, we are both male. Assuming we both have money for the rent, you would not be kicked out of your apartment for getting married to a woman. There's a chance that I could get kicked out of mine for marrying a man. I definitely have a problem with the lack of affordable housing. I have the ability to be concerned about more than one issue simultaneously.

Oh yes, because the straight white males are constantly under attack in this country. Come on now. If you're fired for being a guy, you can sue all you want. That would be sex discrimination.

Won't someone please think of all these underprivileged straight, white males out there!

But, again, thanks for proving my point. .
And you're proving mine! Isn't the problem really that a basic human need like housing can be denied at all in a country as wealthy as ours is?

I can get fired for being a guy. Or because my boss doesn't like my neck tie. The greater issue isn't that you can be fired for being gay, it's that except for a few legally protected minorities, you can get fired for any reason at all because you have no ownership claim to your place of employment.

Sometimes I lament that the October Revolution couldn't have come sooner, but we all remember that before it could begin, the Bolsheviks had to secure rights and representation in the Czar's government for gays and asexuals. And we all remember having force them to recognize the rights and dignities of Tartars too. Then, finally the working class could rise up.

So Trump mentioned that special guest appearance today:
“That I won’t say," Trump said. I am a big fan of Sarah Palin, but I’m not saying who it is.”
“It’s a very big event planned, and I think everyone’s going to be very impressed. And nobody knows who it is, and that’s fine," he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/trump-sarah-palin-rally-217967#ixzz3xiFskJ3L

So, you know, I know what the nuke codes are. They gave them to me. I know. I'm not going to tell you that its 5, but you know, I'm a big fan of knowing the codes. You'd be impressed on how well I know that the code is 5 and can keep it secret.

CCS

Banned
Agreed. Obviously.

One thing that's really spoken to me about her stances is her understanding of trans issues. As a CIS gay male, I have not been the advocate I should have been. I am woefully under educated, and I've been trying to learn and understand how I can be better on this issue.

Very true. A lot of politicians/public figures who are great on LGB issues fall down on the T, so lots of credit to her for that.

Is everybody watching Trump too closely to see if Palin posts "great to be in Iowa!" on her Facebook Wall.

She just posted this article by her daughter on twitter:

Is THIS Why People Don’t like Cruz?

Is my Mom going to endorse Donald Trump for President of the United States?
That’s the rumor, and I’ve been too busy with diapers to delve too much into politics these days. But the rumors were enough to cause staffers from Ted Cruz’s office to slam my mom.

Sarah Palin wrote a devotional.

I just...I can't. Take me home now, Jesus.

Also, that website has a blog called "Barefoot and Pregnant."

I just can't. I freaking can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom