• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
A NYT article about drones at that. And considering goverment email systems are also unclassified, when can we expect the indictment of the the State Department official who forwarded the article? Any calls for it? Can't be selective here...

I really don't get why there isn't more scrutiny of IC Inspector General Charles McCullough here. Dude leaked this to Congressional Republicans (and previously leaked things to Gowdy), he was the one who made the counterintelligence referral to the FBI, and he's on record as having donated $1000 to Bush in 2004. He's a total partisan hack.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's fine. Ostern's the one who has a deep hole to climb out of. Sununu's a proven loser, though.
I don't even know who he is and I live here! What has Sununu lost before? He's an executive council member, which works with the governor; a position I don't know the necessity. I believe he's one of the dipshits who cut Planned Parenthood funding after Hassan wouldn't investigate the organization after the PP videos.
Ugh at those Hassan/Ayotte numbers, though I know we have so long to go.
Hassan is on my shit list since she came out against Syrian refugees, saying the process should stricter before they come. She's also against legalizing marijuana. Ayotte is not great, but she's moderate compared to other Republicans.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't even know who he is and I live here! What has Sununu lost before? He's an executive council member, which works with the governor; a position I don't know the necessity. I believe he's one of the dipshits who cut Planned Parenthood funding after Hassan wouldn't investigate the organization after the PP videos.

Hassan is on my shit list since she came out against Syrian refugees, saying the process should stricter before they come. She's also against legalizing marijuana. Ayotte is not great, but she's moderate compared to other Republicans.

Right, but you'd rather have Hassan than Ayotte.

Bold = Bernie
Not bold = Hillary

That would be my guess.

No way on a few of those. DC is predominately AA.

Michigan also has a large AA population, that's highly unlikely to go Bernie. Unfortunately, we can't use 2008 as a predictor because it wasn't contested last time.

I doubt we'd go to him in Ohio either, as the large Democratic bases tend to be more colorful than the red parts of the state.Hillary won it by 9 points last time. The only counties Obama won in 2008 were Cuyahoga, Franklin, Delaware, Hamilton and Montgomery. Each one of these counties has at least double Ohio average's AA population, with the exception of Delaware. Franklin and Delaware will 100% go for Bernie, simply because of Ohio State.

We haven't had a Mass poll since the end of November, but it showed Hillary ahead by 25. Hillary won it by 16 in 2008. Plus, the Mass. democratic party is heavily establishment. She has all that locked up, but it may be a better chance for him than a few other states.

Getting rid of Ayotte should be like priority #2 for Democrats after winning the White House.

You can't keep taking Ls in blue states like the Democrats do. Not finding a way to get rid of Susan Collins has also really fucked them.

I mean... its Palin - we all agree that's fucked. Was just trying to mine the hint of truth under the batshit.

Right, I was just highlighting that the hint of truth is a hypocritical jab. Since when do republicans gives a fuck about veterans or the ramifications of sending people to war? I didn't mean to seem like I was being argumentative.

NeoXChaos

Getting rid of Ayotte should be like priority #2 for Democrats after winning the White House.

You can't keep taking Ls in blue states like the Democrats do. Not finding a way to get rid of Susan Collins has also really fucked them.

Collins is too entranced. Maine also has a lot of independents. She benefits from a unique situation there. Others like Pryor were not so lucky

ivysaur12

Banned
Don't call my decisions stupid. Stop.

Why not? You should be allowed to call dumb, idealistic, pie-in-the-sky decisions for what they are: Dumb and myopic.

You don't always get what you want in the candidates that are put forward, but if you actually give a shit about left-wing legislation, you vote against Ayotte for Hassan. End of story.

Who's Edwards?
tumblr_inline_n2ss2gJvQf1rnl9ur.gif

Kidding!

Newly elected Democratic governor of Louisiana, who would probably make most liberals faint, but was a great fit for the state and allowed us to start getting a progressive agenda through the state...including Medicaid expansion.

No way on a few of those. DC is predominately AA.

Michigan also has a large AA population, that's highly unlikely to go Bernie. Unfortunately, we can't use 2008 as a predictor because it wasn't contested last time.

I doubt we'd go to him in Ohio either, as the large Democratic bases tend to be more colorful than the red parts of the state.Hillary won it by 9 points last time. The only counties Obama won in 2008 were Cuyahoga, Franklin, Delaware, Hamilton and Montgomery. Each one of these counties has at least double Ohio average's AA population, with the exception of Delaware. Franklin and Delaware will 100% go for Bernie, simply because of Ohio State.

We haven't had a Mass poll since the end of November, but it showed Hillary ahead by 25. Hillary won it by 16 in 2008. Plus, the Mass. democratic party is heavily establishment. She has all that locked up, but it may be a better chance for him than a few other states.

I think you have to make some arbitrary correction for the racist vote in 2008 that isn't going to be a factor in places like Ohio this time around. I don't expect Bernie to lose WV by 41 points like Obama did, for instance. For what it's worth though, Ohio is the state I went back and forth on the most, I could easily see it going to either candidate.

PBY

Banned
Why not? You should be allowed to call dumb, idealistic, pie-in-the-sky decisions for what they are: Dumb and myopic.

You don't always get what you want in the candidates that are put forward, but if you actually give a shit about left-wing legislation, you vote against Ayotte for Hassan. End of story.

We already do this for Berning Man v Hilldawg, we can't keep doing this.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If you think I should vote straight Democrat because Republicans are awful, that's fine and I mostly agree with you. If you're going to insult me because I actually want a candidate running to address my concerns, I will not deal with you.

ivysaur12

Banned
If you think I should vote straight Democrat because Republicans are awful, that's fine and I mostly agree with you. If you're going to insult me because I actually want a candidate running to address my concerns, I will not deal with you.

I also think not doing so because your candidate is not left enough in a purple state would be dumb and myopic. So there you go.

HylianTom

Banned
I also think not doing so because your candidate is not left enough in a purple state would be dumb and myopic. So there you go.

It's the kind of thinking that loses control of the chamber, control of the flow of legislation, committee chair positions.. I find it pretty short-sighted.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not what I said. Anyway, I'm done dealing with you.

You said, and I literally quote:

Yeah, but she still has to earn my vote. I'll probably drill her campaign staff until they give me the answers I want.

You're welcome to "drill" her campaign for the answers you want, but if you choose not to vote for Hassan because she's on your "shit list" for taking a few Republican-esque positions:

Then that is a dumb, myopic decision.

I think you have to make some arbitrary correction for the racist vote in 2008 that isn't going to be a factor in places like Ohio this time around. I don't expect Bernie to lose WV by 41 points like Obama did, for instance. For what it's worth though, Ohio is the state I went back and forth on the most, I could easily see it going to either candidate.

The issue is you're giving Bernie essentially equivalent Hillary 08 numbers among whites. At least, I think so. I mean, that's the only breakdown that makes sense. That, like you said, is not going to happen. Most polls show that, at best, Bernie is able to tie Hillary among whites nationally. He can't win states tying her with whites, and then losing everyone else by 20-50 points. Hillary can attest to that. Especially when we consider that Hillary already has an advantage among Hispanics and AA. Obama only had AA in 2008.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that WV Democrats are more conservative than California Democrats. It's low hanging fruit to pin that entirely on racial issues, when the state more closely aligns to Hillary's positions. So, whites being Bernie's best group is a double edged sword. An AA Democrat from Alabama is probably politically more in line with a white Democrat from West Virginia than an AA Democratic voter in New York. Plus, the Clinton's have connections with WV. Bill won it both times.

PBY

Banned
You said, and I literally quote:

You're welcome to "drill" her campaign for the answers you want, but if you choose not to vote for Hassan because she's on your "shit list" for taking a few Republican-esque positions:

Then that is a dumb, myopic decision.

This is how Trump becomes our president in 2016

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's the kind of thinking that loses control of the chamber, control of the flow of legislation, committee chair positions.. I find it pretty short-sighted.
I really don't think it happens as much as you believe. Apathy plays a much bigger role IMO
This is how Donald "Some, I assume, are good people" Trump becomes our president in 2016
These comments are really unnecessary. You know that wouldn't be why.

Snake

A Human Becoming, let's say Bernie gets the Democratic nomination and is on track to win the Presidency.

He needs every senator he can get to pass legislation. Is Republican senator Kelly Ayotte going to be a better thing for Bernie, or is Democratic senator Maggie Hassan?

Every additional senator caucusing with the Democrats is going to add to their ability to legislate, improve their negotiating position, and increase the chances of more progressive legislation being offered. It is your choice and no one elses, but voting for Kelly Ayotte would be [by a considerable degree] more conservative of a political choice than voting for Hillary over Bernie. So the next time you question why Democrats might prefer Hillary, look to yourself.

Another thing is even if Bernie would win some of those states, due to the way the delegates are allocated, he may not net many (if any) over Hillary. I think we all agree Hillary will win every southern state by at least double digits. That will allow her to amass delegates like Obama did in 2008. Winning Wisconsin by 2 points isn't going to give him many extra delegates. Proportional representation becomes a factor. He can't scrape by, scrape by, scrape by.

Also, another thing to keep in mind. Obama and Hillary were basically tied among Democrats. Hillary has a significant advantage over Bernie with registered Democrats. So, a candidate who leads among AA, Hispaics, women, registered Democrats and Seniors looks a heck of a lot better than a candidate who leads only among the young and Independents.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A Human Becoming, let's say Bernie gets the Democratic nomination and is on track to win the Presidency.

He needs every senator he can get to pass legislation. Is Republican senator Kelly Ayotte going to be a better thing for Bernie, or is Democratic senator Maggie Hassan?

Every additional senator caucusing with the Democrats is going to add to their ability to legislate, improve their negotiating position, and increase the chances of more progressive legislation being offered. It is your choice and no one elses, but voting for Kelly Ayotte would be [by a considerable degree] more conservative of a political choice than voting for Hillary over Bernie. So the next time you question why Democrats might prefer Hillary, look to yourself.
I understand all that and wouldn't vote for Ayotte either way. I just don't like the tone some people have here that you shouldn't critique any Democrat running. I never said I wouldn't vote for Hassan, I'm just currently not happy with her and would want to hear more what she has to say.

NeoXChaos

Another thing is even if Bernie would win some of those states, due to the way the delegates are allocated, he may not net many (if any) over Hillary. I think we all agree Hillary will win every southern state by at least double digits. That will allow her to amass delegates like Obama did in 2008. Winning Wisconsin by 2 points isn't going to give him many extra delegates. Proportional representation becomes a factor. He can't scrape by, scrape by, scrape by.

By the time we get to April momentum will be too much for him to overcome. The narrative out of Super Tuesday is "Hillary sweeps".

Snake

I understand all that and wouldn't vote for Ayotte either way. I just don't like the tone some people have here that you shouldn't critique any Democrat running. I never said I wouldn't vote for Hassan, I'm just currently not happy with her and would want to hear more what she has to say.

I can respect that.

I really don't think it happens as much as you believe. Apathy plays a much bigger role IMO

These comments are really unnecessary. You know that wouldn't be why.

then what do you want? if candidate A is offering solutions to 8 out 10 of issues that matter to you and candidate B is offering solutions to 5 out 10 of issues that matter to you, which would you go with?

ivysaur12

Banned
I appreciate that. I just wish other people here could.

That is not a thing that has been said. I said:

You're welcome to "drill" her campaign for the answers you want, but if you choose not to vote for Hassan because she's on your "shit list" for taking a few Republican-esque positions: Then that is a dumb, myopic decision.

You're welcome to critique your candidates. That's entirely fine and not the problem! But if you're going to not vote for them in a race like Ayotte/Hassan, I dunno.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
then what do you want? if candidate A is offering solutions to 8 out 10 of issues that matter to you and candidate B is offering solutions to 5 out 10 of issues that matter to you, which would you go with?
Pragmatically, Candidate A. I do think which issues matter and also the quality of the solution. Really though, how often is that scenario ever going to happen in politics today? There's such a stark contrast between both parties.

Hexa

Herman Cain says that Trump is winning the Black Women vote.

“Let me tell you a phenomenon that I discovered on my radio show,” Cain said during an appearance on Fox and Friends. “I get callers who call up and say, ‘I am black, I’m female and I’m going from Democrat to Trump.’”

“They didn’t say they were going from Democrat to Republican, they’re going from Democrat to Trump. I think that’s part of the phenomenon,” he added.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/wa...tm_content=2016-01-20&utm_campaign=manualpost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom