• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Honestly I don't see any of that Bernie stuff as pandering, at least not on the level of Hillary's nonsense. Bernie Sanders may have corny ideas for voter interaction but they're pretty much in line with traditional corny voter interaction schemes; before Netflix there was watching a movie/eating pizza with a candidate, for instance.

Ok but does that normally including fucking right afterward.

Like typically that's not something that happens now. You wait until primary election night for that.

http://www.theonion.com/article/kerry-volunteer-gets-some-kerry-primary-victory-se-4615

Honestly I don't see any of that Bernie stuff as pandering, at least not on the level of Hillary's nonsense. Bernie Sanders may have corny ideas for voter interaction but they're pretty much in line with traditional corny voter interaction schemes; before Netflix there was watching a movie/eating pizza with a candidate, for instance.

I'd argue Hillary takes that stuff to another level with focus group based, desperate attempts to impress or attract voters. The abuela stuff, the nae nae, the Chillary vine...pretty much most of her online outreach comes off as amateur hour antics from an out of touch campaign.

Bernie Sanders wouldn't have spent ten minutes with Killer Mike if he didn't think it benefited his campaign in some way. He's a surrogate because Bernie has so few, and even fewer people of color.

All politicians, even Bernie Sanders, "pander" and do stupid things during a campaign to garner attention. But, it's a perfect example of how every single action Hillary takes must be motivated by polls or whatever. She's always held to an entirely different standard than everyone else. It's really fascinating to see.

There's basically a mindset that anything Hillary does should be criticized because she did it.

One more thing about Sanders and pandering. I think he's done a good job with celebrity outreach. Sanders' sit down with Killer Mike was very impressive. A lot moreso than trotting out a vapid pop star to tell people to vote for you. I think Mike has been an asset to Sanders. It's not gonna work obviously, but impressive nonetheless.

To be clear I am not a Sanders supporter.

Holmes

The "chillin' in Cedar Rapids" vine always makes me laugh. I think it was more of an "old person" moment of hers than it was pandering to young people.

I want to get in the middle of that town hall right now. So bad .

tumblr_nctma5JAMC1qkoec9o1_400.gif

It's interesting to position global warming as an economic position....I'm not sure how great of an answer it is, but it's an interesting position.

We want the straight tooth.

WE CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!

O'Malley with a decent first answer on his crime record, but a bad answer on this small business insurance question.

To be fair, switching away from FFS is really important and we had multiple lectures on it and most doctors are down with it. We still need bigger changes, but its part of a larger solution.

My bae is really not good at this. Bless his beautiful heart.
I think he's doing pretty good. He was too constricted during the debates gasping for oxygen between Hill and Sanders. Martin Unleashed has lot of charisma and command over the stage. He needs to work on some of his answers though.

I think it was about giving those who can't serve in the military an option to serve the country. Like, you know, Americorps? Teach for America? I think. Those programs already exist. Maybe he wanted some type of national service?

I think it was about giving those who can't serve in the military an option to serve the country. Like, you know, Americorps? Teach for America? I think. Those programs already exist. Maybe he wanted some type of national service?

Don't they already exist? Confusing.

Other thought: Can we splice all 3 democratic candidates toghether? O'malley's body and climate change ideas and other policies, Clinton's experience, and Bernie's progressiveness (or whichever body we all prefer).

Don't they already exist? Confusing.

Other thought: Can we splice all 3 democratic candidates toghether? O'malley's body and climate change ideas and other policies, Clinton's experience, and Bernie's progressiveness (or whichever body we all prefer).

I think Martin's got the body down....

Martin this is a good answer, but bringing up Woodrow Wilson positively right now is, uhh, not a good political move.
It was. I liked the "democratic conversion" line a lot. He's also fairly good at tailoring things to his crowd. His answers are good, but he needs to be taught how to deliver them in a better way.

That answer was fine, but I would have liked him to touch on a specific federal policy he would implement. EDNA? Something specific. We're used to the buzzwords about making a more inclusive country. Show me what you're going to do, specifically.

sangreal

Why doesn't Cuomo have any follow-up questions? it's like he gets completely out of his element when the candidates stand

e: and now he makes me look (more) dumb

User1608

Banned
O'Malley<3 is doing pretty well in this format. I certainly wouldn't mind him as President... Aside from a reservation considering his time as Mayor of Baltimore.

O'Malley<3 is doing pretty well in this format. I certainly wouldn't mind him as President... Aside from a reservation considering his time as Mayor of Baltimore.

Agreed. I joke about him an awful lot, but he's far from horrible. He's my 2nd choice. Has been for a while.

What's in my hands now, Martin?

You all heard that, right? Verbal consent. You all heard it.

O'Malley needs to be Mayor of Baltimore again and prove he can do the job. Governor he got shit done it seems like...looking at Baltimore, it looks like he did jack squat.

O'Malley wasn't bad. Seems like there's a good candidate in there somewhere, he just needed a better prep staff. Maybe someone to watch his speeches with him and correct some of his exaggerated tics, and someone to help hone his statements. He trips over his words more than just about anyone running for president right now on either side.

User1608

Banned
O'Malley needs to be Mayor of Baltimore again and prove he can do the job. Governor he got shit done it seems like...looking at Baltimore, it looks like he did jack squat.
I do agree his record as governor is pretty solid in comparison to his time as mayor. He won't win but he tried and did okay despite the little airtime he's gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom