• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not watching but did Bernie Sanders enthusiastically say he's going to raise taxes? Is he even interested in winning or just from an alternate reality? This is like a caricature of what Republicans always portray Democrats of being at this point.

User1608

Banned
Goddamn, ether'd. No matter how you slice it what Hillary is saying about democratic reactions to tragedies in comparison to the GOP is true.

Haha. Just wrote his own GE attack ad for the GOP.

Because there are so many Americans making more than $250,000/year. And the net is a savings anyhow. There is no attack line but I agree...I'm sure they'll try.

Bernie can run the ad on how the Republicans have tried to dismantle healthcare altogether costing the nation millions of dollars in their pitiful attempts. That ad is way more effective.

Because there are so many Americans making more than $250,000/year. And the net is a savings anyhow. There is no attack line but I agree...I'm sure they'll try.

Bernie can run the ad on how the Republicans have tried to dismantle healthcare altogether costing the nation millions of dollars in their pitiful attempts. That ad is way more effective.

Are you familiar with politics at all?

sangreal

the ad will say 'we will raise taxes, yes we will.' surrounded by 'yes we can' shit and a scary voiceover. "$250,000" or "net savings" will not appear at all

the ad will say 'we will raise taxes, yes we will.' surrounded by 'yes we can' shit and a scary voiceover. "$250,000" or "net savings" will not appear at all

But all people have to do is go online, search Bernie's plan, do the math and see that it's all fine, really. /s

This is what's so frustrating. The majority of the people have it good... They don't want change. There costs aren't going to dramatically change. They vote. The idea you can get then to raise taxes on themselves for care they're going to think is worse is insane.

This is what's so frustrating. The majority of the people have it good... They don't want change. There costs aren't going to dramatically change. They vote. The idea you can get then to raise taxes on themselves for care they're going to think is worse is insane.

What are you saying about the majority of people having it good with regards to healthcare...

Otherwise I completely agree that being so progressive and upfront makes you a huge target. Maybe people will impress us all.

Kangi

Only got to catch bits and pieces of it, but I liked what I saw. The format works pretty well for the Democratic side; the Republicans need their screaming matches, though.

HylianTom

Banned
Only got to catch bits and pieces of it, but I liked what I saw. The format works pretty well for the Democratic side; the Republicans need their screaming matches, though.
Agree. Proud of all three.

They should've done one of these (this format) every other week. Great advertising for the party in general, and a great contrast against the shitshow that the other side is putting on.

I was surprised that Hillary did not attack Sanders like at all. Just full on praise for him. Sanders on the other hand attacked Clinton more than a few times. Whats going on.
Oh god. I cannot imagine Trump, Cruz and Jeb doing the same format. My ears will revolt.

I was surprised that Hillary did not attack Sanders like at all. Just full on praise for him. Sanders on the other hand attacked Clinton more than a few times. Whats going on.
Hillary wouldn't benefit from escalating the negativity in the race, not when she still has things well in hand.

Hillary Clinton's answer on reconstruction was insanely bad. Grant should have gone into debt to crush the Klan even further. The South needed to be beaten out and its legend destroyed like Germany was instead of being embraced.

sangreal

I mean, they all do town halls regularly anyway, just not w/ the same audience or a moderator like this. Trump is even pretty good at it imo. Don't think I've seen a Cruz one since I literally can't stand hearing him talk

This is the traditional approach to Presidential campaigns. The candidate plays nice while surrogates do the dirty work. Only go directly negative when you're behind.

Exactly what she should've done. Going negative on the insurgent only shows that you're nervous about them, and more specifically going negative has very rarely done well for Hillary. She did well in that regard.

Overall, I think both Sanders and Clinton did well. Clinton did tend to ramble, though, and for Sanders raising taxes is a tough sell. All in all, they did great. O'Malley relied too much on general stump speech responses to specific questions and therefore failed to really answer them, but if I had to guess I think his supporters will side with Sanders at the caucus based on his rhetoric.

Hillary Clinton's answer on reconstruction was insanely bad. Grant should have gone into debt to crush the Klan even further. The South needed to be beaten out and its legend destroyed like Germany was instead of being embraced.
Anybody who went to school more than 20 years ago was taught that.

And let's not pretend all Nazis were tarred and feathered.

It was a bad answer.

Hillary Clinton was very good in the CNN town hall. But her answer on the emails shows that she is still very vulnerable on the issue.

Dear God, what is Chris Cillizza putting in his meth these days?

Anyway, it was mostly good. Bernie was pretty funny tonight, lol.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

That article makes me feel a whole lot better about Nate. I didn't expect such a good explanation on where he went wrong. It makes a lot of sense that he might still be right that the establishment decides, while missing the fact that places like Breitbart is still technically part of the establishment.

And I'd agree that Trump's rise is a little weird, even with that explanation. I would still argue that if bad news doesn't result in a drop in polls, that suggests a lot of strength, and the way to predict any future Trumps is to look at that first and foremost, even though that's rather hard to do in objective data analysis.

There's a very similar concept in technical trading of stocks, where if you know what you're doing, but a stock does the exact opposite of what you expect in the short term, then it's probably a sign of what's happening in the long term. It's one of concepts that completes the connection between the data heavy technicals that cares only about the changes in price with the less quantifiable fundamentals driving those prices. (For the record, please don't conflate this with stocks rising at the announcement of bad news or dropping at good news, that's a concept of "buy the rumor sell the news", not a concept of relative strength)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom