• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I think her delegates go uncommitted and the convention is brokered, and all delegates are released. It would be chaos if they all don't unite behind a candidate.
The biggest thing holding Biden back from jumping into the race was probably inability to organize in time for a tough nomination fight. I'd bet good money that he'd be drafted in that scenario, and that he'd be the favorite for the general.

This displays such a fundamental misunderstanding of economics that I am just plain flabbergasted. Ferrari's for everyone! Luxurious apartments in the center of major cities for everyone! Smartphones can now be made without taking any resources from other endeavors! I think that deep down you know that scarcity is still the defining issue of economics today and that Marxism simply makes no sense under scarce conditions, so you are trying to rationalize your support for Marxism.
Private automobiles are unnecessary (and parking is a motherfucker anyway). In 'Murica, we have more than enough land, no need for luxury apartments.

We can't all live like rock stars yet, but I don't feel comfortable living in luxury while so many live desperate lives. We can express our excellence in a way that doesn't require running up the score while other people live shitty lives. Even just a basic income would help.

But that's a long way off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The biggest thing holding Biden back from jumping into the race was probably inability to organize in time for a tough nomination fight. I'd bet good money that he'd be drafted in that scenario, and that he'd be the favorite for the general.

In that scenario he could just take over Clinton's machinery and proceed to curb stomp Trump.

I've been doing that since, although I still got stuck in a conversation a weekend ago. I didn't mind much since it was fucking freezing out and they had a furnace. It didn't help in the Josh situation my phone was on mute. I'll have to try your idea out. I'm no good with this stuff; some people find answering a call rude during a conversation. These sort of moments remind me of Curb.

Haha. I've had a handful of good phone calls, like last night with very enthusiastic blind man (I learned that asking him to volunteer). I like phone banking more but from my understanding canvassing is much more effective so I do both.

At least tomorrow is the last day of persuasion canvassing. Next weekend is strictly get out the vote (GOTV).

Canvassing is definitely better if you're in the state (or are willing to travel.) I've never traveled to do it before because I'e always been in a swing state. In the next week or two, we're supposed to start canvassing here. My work schedule means I can do it n the morning/afternoons, since I'm going to be working 4:30-1:00. Ugh.

Armaros

Bernie Sanders isn't very prepared on foreign policy stuff:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/bernie-sanders-foreign-policy-deficit-218431

He listed two anti-Iran deal politicians as two of the people he consults with on foreign policy, the others he's listed he's basically never talked to.

#Problemsthatarisewhenasingleissuecandidategetscompetitive

Okay, not having much personal experience with foreign policy is one thing (not everyone becomes the world famous globe trotting Senator) but to not really have anyone on staff to get advice or even as a knowledgeable spokesperson?

That's worrisome. Especially so seemingly, randomly pick out people with foreign policy credentials that havented actually worked with Bernie in anyway to be listed as campaign 'experts'

Just because it's not a major part of your campaign, doesn't mean you get to completely ignore it while running for President.

Okay, not having much personal experience with foreign policy is one thing (not everyone becomes the world famous globe trotting Senator) but to not really have anyone on staff to get advice or even as a knowledgeable spokesperson?

That's worrisome. Especially so seemingly randomly pick out people with foreign policy credentials that don't actually work with Bernie in anyway.

The single issue candidate thing seems way too true for comfort. It's troubling for someone wanting to be President. I don't think Obama ever imagined how many wildly different issues he would face from oil spills to hurricanes. The President can't just pick and choose.

I think the campaign has largely assumed that they can always fall back on the pretty consequential vote 14 years ago.

I.e.
“Sanders talks about foreign policy all the time,” said his spokesman Michael Briggs ...
“And oh yeah, he voted against the Iraq war,” Briggs added.

Canvassing is definitely better if you're in the state (or are willing to travel.) I've never traveled to do it before because I'e always been in a swing state. In the next week or two, we're supposed to start canvassing here. My work schedule means I can do it n the morning/afternoons, since I'm going to be working 4:30-1:00. Ugh.
What state, if you don't mind me asking, of course.

That's worrisome. Especially so seemingly randomly pick out people with foreign policy credentials that don't actually work with Bernie in anyway.

He simply doesn't care. He's running on one (admittedly very important/dominant) issue, everything else is secondary.

BTW that's why he doesn't want to debate in Flint. Hillary is foaming at the mouth to debate there and appeal/relate to people emotionally as Sanders stumbles and repeats his Wall Street talking points.

Cheebo

Banned
Iowa Dems MORE excited for Hillary than Bernie for a general election? New voters not expected to turn out unlike 2008?

Great news all around.

To be fair the vote ended up with a million people dead and little to show for it (didn't we go because saddam was going to/killing people?).
Yes, it's noted in my post that it was a fairly consequential vote.

At the same time, I don't think it constitutes an actual foreign policy platform. I could probably take it as a general foreign policy philosophy (which one may certainly agree with), but then it's worth noting that Sanders is not anti-intervention per se based on other pretty consequential votes.

And as the article goes into, he probably ought have some actual advisers with significant backgrounds in these affairs on board by now.

NeoXChaos

Iowa Dems MORE excited for Hillary than Bernie for a general election? New voters not expected to turn out unlike 2008?

Great news all around.

Yes indeed.

Gabriel Debenedetti ‏@gdebenedetti 40m40 minutes ago Iowa City, IA
5 left, and Wyden breaks Clinton's Oregon curse (she's still waiting on Merkley and the governor Kate Brown)

rjinaz

Great news all around.

Doesn't really seem like good news to me but if all you care about is a Hillary win then I guess it is.

We need people voting that usually don't vote. Though not as important since it's caucus but still not liking the trend.

Cheebo

Banned
Doesn't really seem like good news to me but if all you care about is a Hillary win then I guess it is.

We need people voting that usually don't vote. Though not as important since it's caucus but still not liking the trend.
Oh I would be worried for the general but Bernie would be a fucking disaster in a general, Trump would eat him alive. I'll worry about youth turnout once Clinton gets this part closed out.

Drakeon

Dems don't really have a turnout problem for the presidential election, although more turnout is never really a bad thing. Now, Berine Sanders certainly needs an exorbitantly high turnout of young voters to have a prayer in the primary. It's unlikely we'd beat 2008 numbers, especially when we can see voter registration was ticking up significantly prior to the primaries and that's not happening this election.

But where we really need the turnout is during midterms, where Dems continue to get thrashed every single time.

HylianTom

Banned
McKay Coppins has a pretty decent piece out tonight about the impending Trumpocalypse.

The Jeb Bush Hatchet Man Who Might Accidentally Elect Donald Trump\

Over decades in politics, strategist Mike Murphy has developed a certain reputation: delivering Republican success in blue states, charming the press with his wit, and spending and making lots and lots and lots of money. This time, he’s led Jeb Bush’s PAC’s multi-million dollar assault on Marco Rubio — while Donald Trump is poised to win Iowa and New Hampshire.

The critics argue that Murphy recklessly enabled Trump’s rise last year by cavalierly dismissing him as a “zombie frontrunner” and stubbornly refusing to use the vast war chest at his disposal to take the billionaire down. (“Trump is, frankly, other people’s problem,” he said when asked about it in August.) Meanwhile, the super PAC went on to spend approximately $30 million on attack ads targeting Marco Rubio — a candidate many (including Bush donors) believe to be the party’s last best hope to stop The Donald. In spite of it all, Murphy shows no signs of letting up: in the final sprint to Iowa, Right to Rise has reportedly spent nearly $1 million per day hammering Rubio on everything from his immigration record to his insufficiently masculine boots.

Really long, detailed read about Murphy's background. So many things have lined-up oddly perfectly for Trump to arise..

rjinaz

Oh I would be worried for the general but Bernie would be a fucking disaster in a general, Trump would eat him alive. I'll worry about youth turnout once Clinton gets this part closed out.

I think Bernie can hold his own, especially against Trump who will by flying off the handle in one on one debate and is never going to get minority votes anyway.

The argument is kind of moot though since I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

Dems don't really have a turnout problem for the presidential election, although more turnout is never really a bad thing. Now, Berine Sanders certainly needs an exorbitantly high turnout of young voters to have a prayer in the primary. It's unlikely we'd beat 2008 numbers, especially when we can see voter registration was ticking up significantly prior to the primaries and that's not happening this election.

But where we really need the turnout is during midterms, where Dems continue to get thrashed every single time.

True but if a firecracker like Bernie can't motivate new people to get out there and vote, not sure who is going to motivate people during midterms.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Bernie can hold his own, especially against Trump who will by flying off the handle in one on one debate and is never going to get minority votes anyway.

The argument is kind of moot though since I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

True but if a firecracker like Bernie can't motivate new people to get out there and vote, not sure who is going to motivate people during midterms.

Frankly if Obama couldn't get it done, I seriously doubt Bernie could.

Cheebo

Banned
If Bernie can't get young people to turn up in Iowa on Monday like Obama did in 2008 can anyone of his supporters say with a straight face he is still capable of bringing about a political revolution?

The thing is, Bernie is not equally attractive to all people. Obama was, more or less. He never had these huge deficits among groups that weren't young and white. I think a lot of the Bern love comes from confirmation bias. I do the same thing with Hillary. I hear her say something, and I'm YAASSSSS'ing all over the place. Usually a few minutes later someone's like "OMG SHRILL" over it. My point is i don't think Bernie's appeal is wide enough to support his revolution. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I hope I'm not...but maybe I am.

Yes, it's noted in my post that it was a fairly consequential vote.

At the same time, I don't think it constitutes an actual foreign policy platform. I could probably take it as a general foreign policy philosophy (which one may certainly agree with), but then it's worth noting that Sanders is not anti-intervention per se based on other pretty consequential votes.

And as the article goes into, he probably ought have some actual advisers with significant backgrounds in these affairs on board by now.

Yea sorry I agree completely with everything you said (and most of what you say too, seems like you are a voice of reason here).

rjinaz

If Bernie can't get young people to turn up in Iowa on Monday like Obama did in 2008 can anyone of his supporters say with a straight face he is still capable of bringing about a political revolution?

Probably not.

The thing is, Bernie is not equally attractive to all people. Obama was, more or less. He never had these huge deficits among groups that weren't young and white. I think a lot of the Bern love comes from confirmation bias. I do the same thing with Hillary. I hear her say something, and I'm YAASSSSS'ing all over the place. Usually a few minutes later someone's like "OMG SHRILL" over it. My point is i don't think Bernie's appeal is wide enough to support his revolution. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I hope I'm not...but maybe I am.

I hope you're not wrong either. Not because of Bernie. But because I hope voters start to actually take notice of politics and realize it does directly affect them. I think Bernie is showing a lot of people what things could be like, I'm not saying it's about him personally. More about getting people excited about the potential and what the rest of the world is doing.

Cheebo

Banned
It is true Obama got a lot of demographics hyped up in the primaries. Unless you a young straight white male you aren't very likely to be feeling the bern.

rjinaz

It is true Obama got a lot of demographics hyped up in the primaries. Unless you a young straight white male you aren't very likely to be feeling the bern.

I don't think that's necessarily true either. And again, it's about the message not necessarily about the man. I get it. Hillary good. But look. Bernie is introducing a lot of people to perhaps new ideas they hadn't considered before. I'm hoping that if nothing else comes out of his campaign it's a new interest by some in politics.

I know a lot of Latinos interested in Bernie. I also know a lot of people my age that are too. I mean I'm not exactly old at 32, but I think it's insulting to insinuate that if you aren't a young and naive young White male there is nothing much to like about Bernie or what he is trying to do.

johnsmith

remember me
Those aren't rumors, but they shouldn't be attacking his private life....

This photo makes so much sense now
nW39M5x.jpg

Sanders was up on those younger than 45 and up on women in that age range too but yes the demographics skew toward the young and males (I havent seen any polls on sexual preference vs which candidate favored).

Ecotic

Someone said it a couple of weeks ago in another thread, but books will be written about how badly Jeb damaged the party's chances in this election. He sucked up all the establishment money and endorsements early and pulled them into one of the worst candidacies in decades. I've never seen someone so mismatched for the moment. Imagine how different the current situation would be if someone like Rubio had those resources all along.

rjinaz

Someone said it a couple of weeks ago in another thread, but books will be written about how badly Jeb damaged the party's chances in this election. He sucked up all the establishment money and endorsements early and pulled them into one of the worst candidacies in decades. I've never seen someone so mismatched for the moment. Imagine how different the current situation would be if someone like Rubio had those resources all along.

Seriously. What happened with Jeb?

I remember back in August, myself and a lot of others just assumed it was Clinton's and Jeb's for the taking. I have never seen a shoo-in sink so badly, like in anything ever. I mean even without Trump I still think it goes to Cruz or Rubio.

tmarg

I'm not sure Rubio or JEB! have really been meaningful pieces of the primary thus far. I'd say Jeb's biggest gift to Trump was acting as his punching bag, which helped propel him into first.

Yeah. Kinda hope now that they don't show for the GE.

Drakeon

It should have been Obama, like several others pointed out. Most exciting candidate I've seen in all my voting years (granted I'm only 30) and yet we still get just stomped in each midterm. I honestly couldn't tell you where to start on what exactly the problem is, although the DNC probably has a lot to do with it.

NeoXChaos

It should have been Obama, like several others pointed out. Most exciting candidate I've seen in all my voting years (granted I'm only 30) and yet we still get just stomped in each midterm. I honestly couldn't tell you where to start on what exactly the problem is, although the DNC probably has a lot to do with it.

a lot of it is due to polarization. People arent ticket splitting anymore like in the past as well as the coalition. Democrats did horrible in 94, 10, 14. 98 was a wash. 02 was a wash although Democrats won the Governors's races in unheard of places like OK, AZ, TN, KS & WY. 06 was a smashing success and the only good outcome since 94.

lost the house in 94, 98, 02, 10, 14.
won in 06.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_gubernatorial_elections,_2002

GnawtyDog

Banned
Jeb is only mismatched cause Trump exists. Trump defined him early using his new found national voice and brought about the biggest upheaval in politics in ages for the GOP. Trump was blunt, vicious and unapologetic vs. Bush and made a moderate conservative vision of America unpopular within GOP group think (harnessed the anger on the fringe base). Trump went hard against him, unlike most others - and Trump was right on the money - taking out the establishment dream pick.

We saw the last debate. While not necessarily a home run, Bush had a solid performance. I personally think he won that debate. So if you take Trump out of the equation and the movement surrounding him; Bush, slowly but surely would of won the hearts and minds of the GOP voter base. Ted Cruz is and was too polished a politician, too PC to emulate Trump's fervor and brand.

Bush understands one thing, loyalty. The Cuban mafia in Miami bows to him (Ileana, Balart, you name it, he owns them), because he empowered them, helped them while being the big boss down here in Florida. Yet here comes little Marco (the apprentice, the student) upsetting the status-quo and somehow the very establishment that owes so much to Jeb (and the Bush family) wants him to give up everything he worked so hard for, built so tirelessly cause it's better for Marco? Please... How about what's best for Jeb?

What goes is Jeb's head and those loyal to him (his Pac) is, FUCK THEM. Fuck the sellouts, the snakes. Fuck the party and individuals that are deserting me when I am down. Fuck the ones that are not standing with me to take on Trump as I am, taking the blows that I am etc...

The strategy to sink establishment rivals is still the best viable strategy for him to get elected. In Jeb's view, he owes little to the detractors, little. Funny how Rubio and Jeb don't talk to each other after each and every debate. And it's not Rubio who's probably turning down such a encounter. Not to mention PAC money always has a use. After all, it would be foolish to think that this money is not enriching some folks in the ad-making, PAC running operations business etc etc etc. No refunds folks.

I don't think that's necessarily true either. And again, it's about the message not necessarily about the man. I get it. Hillary good. But look. Bernie is introducing a lot of people to perhaps new ideas they hadn't considered before. I'm hoping that if nothing else comes out of his campaign it's a new interest by some in politics.

I know a lot of Latinos interested in Bernie. I also know a lot of people my age that are too. I mean I'm not exactly old at 32, but I think it's insulting to insinuate that if you aren't a young and naive young White male there is nothing much to like about Bernie or what he is trying to do.

Hopefully I didn't give that impression, cause that's definitely not what I meant. If I did, I apologize. My point is that the people that really feel the Bern do tend to be young and white. Others are still attracted to his positions, definitely, but he hasn't done enough to shave them away from Hillary. He's not showing those groups that he's the better choice. I don't think any Democrat thinks he would be bad on LGBT, AA, Hispanic, or women's issues. (And if they do, they're wrong. He'd be fine, but I question how much of a priority they would get in a Sander's Administration, which I think is a valid critique.) The only area in which I completely question Bernie's ability is foreign policy. He's not strong on it, and he's not surrounding himself with people who can help him brush up.

I do think a better candidate (not person, but a better actual candidate) could have grown the Bernie coalition broader than mostly young, white voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom