• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazingly, Rand Paul is actually polling less nationally than his father did in 2008. And he's much more Republican in nature.

I think that's why. Rand doesn't have the same level of appeal with the traditional Paul crowd, so between Bernie and Trump, most of the traditional Paulies are backing other people.

I think that's why. Rand doesn't have the same level of appeal with the traditional Paul crowd, so between Bernie and Trump, most of the traditional Paulies are backing other people.

And I think one of those other people is Sanders.

Rand doesn't give off the pure batshit crazy that his Daddy did either. Which is a shame. I miss Ron Paul. He was a fun little distraction.

Makai

@JebBush When @ChrisChristie & @JohnKasich were expanding Medicaid, I fought alongside the FL House to prevent expansion.

PBY

Banned
This NH poll posted yet? Dropped about an hourish ago:

2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 38%, Cruz 13% (Franklin Pierce University/Boston Herald 1/26-1/30)
Population 439 Likely Voters - Republican
Margin of Error ±4.7 percentage points
Polling Method Live Phone
Source Franklin Pierce/RKM/Boston Herald

1) 2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary
Asked of 439 likely voters - republican
Jeb Bush (R) 10%
Ben Carson (R) 3%
Chris Christie (R) 5%
Ted Cruz (R) 13%
Carly Fiorina (R) 5%
Mike Huckabee (R) 1%
John Kasich (R) 8%
Rand Paul (R) 5%
Marco Rubio (R) 10%
Rick Santorum (R) 0%
Donald Trump (R) 38%
Other 2%
Undecided 2%

And I think one of those other people is Sanders.

Rand doesn't give off the pure batshit crazy that his Daddy did either. Which is a shame. I miss Ron Paul. He was a fun little distraction.

Uh, yeah.

I said Sanders in my post :p

And I kinda agree. Rand is kind of like the mainstream album from an indie band that blew up and all their old fans are kind of ambivalent on.

YouGov National

Trump 43
Cruz 18
Rubio 14
Kasich 5
Bush 4
Carson 4
Rand 4
Christie 2
Fiorina 2
Huckabee 2
Gilmore 1
Santorum 1
Trump's going to collapse any day now...!
I wonder how Jeb feels when he sees 43% next to Trump while he languishes at the bottom. He was the chosen one...

Whoever's embedded with the GOP campaigns and writing about Game Change 3 is going to be really fucking rich very soon.

NeoXChaos

b-dubs add these two graphs for the threads going forward.

Dem_Dem_2_012116.jpg

DWChart4.jpg

And how Sanders will damage such legacy? In no way he would. You are talking as if he would dismantle all those achievements, In my view, he understands how economics and its relationship with poltics create a new set of privilege that it is not easy to call out or dismantle. And yet, he has never ever downplayed the cultural oppression, that indeed is independent of economics, that minorities suffer. And he has been very vocal about it since day 1. If u think he hasnt, then you are not paying attenton.
I imagine it's for several reasons that he isn't gaining traction with some of these groups, but among them these come to mind immediately.

The first being that these groups with hard fought and easily lost gains genuinely think Sanders would put those gains at risk because they don't think he can win and/or think he's more likely to lose.

The second is optics encapsulated by his approach to topics outside of his wheelhouse, encapsulated in one of the debates i.e. "This was a terrible tragedy in Par... Now let's talk about millionaires and billionaires."

Or put more eloquently by this article on The Nation.
Sanders’s Achilles heel is that because he focuses so singlemindedly on economic inequality, he is not always able to speak to the needs and desires of the modern left, a left that is passionate not only about economic injustice but also about injustices tied to race, gender, and sexual identity and orientation. Today the left urgently needs leaders who are fully comfortable with and fluent in the politics of intersectionality, and who clearly understand that, while race and gender inequality are deeply rooted in economics, they also have separate dimensions that cannot be addressed by economic remedies alone.

Clinton, for all her faults, really does have the ability to divide her attention between a myriad of competing priorities and portrays herself as such.

To be fair, outside of Romney the 2012 Republican field was a complete joke. I mean Trump is also a joke, but not a funny one right now.

To be fair++, democrats really really really lucked out that Perry fell apart so fucking hard at the national level. A Folksy Good Looking Cowboy that managed to Not Be a Complete Idiot would be a serious threat indeed.

Eve of the Iowa caucus. I remember that Wednesday before the 08 one. By that point all our cards were on the table, everyone had done everything they could possibly do. There was this older lady who had come from New Hampshire quite early in the process to help organize; I'll call her Pat. She was only supposed to stay for a weekend but ended up basically staying from the beginning to the end. We had a bit of down time at one point and were resting at one of the Iowa offices when she brought some homemade cookies in and shared with everyone. We just rested and listened to her tell all types of stories about working to elect JFK and working on RFK's campaign, seeing the chaos of the 1968 convention, etc.

She quit politics after the 68 convention and was depressed for years. Then she saw Obama's 2004 convention speech and said it revived her belief in the country's political system. Instead of waiting for the campaign to arrive in NH in 2008 she came to Iowa early and got to work. She told Obama that she was proud to have shaken his hand, JFK's, and RFK's.

Later on the eve of the caucus we had to deal with some Hillary campaign aides. I thought we were pretty cordial but it was amazing how bitter and disrespectful they were to us (myself, the older lady and a couple other people). I remember Pat being so upset she was crying afterwards, and she said she would never vote for Hillary Clinton. We tried to tell her that Clinton probably wouldn't endorse the behavior we had witnessed but Pat was still upset.

I remember speaking to her weeks later, and asked if she would still refuse to vote for Hillary if she was the nomination. She told me that she had had a private conversation with Obama at some point after NH's primary, and I guess Obama told her something that really resonated with her. She wouldn't tell me what it was, but she said "I won't be voting for her this year...but I agreed to vote for her in 2016." She winked and we laughed about it.

She passed away last summer. I know Obama spoke with her at some point before she passed. Couldn't help but think about her all day.

To be fair++, democrats really really really lucked out that Perry fell apart so fucking hard at the national level. A Folksy Good Looking Cowboy that managed to Not Be a Complete Idiot would be a serious threat indeed.

Looking back, the way Romney shived Perry over being soft on immigration feels like a prelude to the madness we're seeing this year.

NeoXChaos

Eve of the Iowa caucus. I remember that Wednesday before the 08 one. By that point all our cards were on the table, everyone had done everything they could possibly do. There was this older lady who had come from New Hampshire quite early in the process to help organize; I'll call her Pat. She was only supposed to stay for a weekend but ended up basically staying from the beginning to the end. We had a bit of down time at one point and were resting at one of the Iowa offices when she brought some homemade cookies in and shared with everyone. We just rested and listened to her tell all types of stories about working to elect JFK and working on RFK's campaign, seeing the chaos of the 1968 convention, etc.

She quit politics after the 68 convention and was depressed for years. Then she saw Obama's 2004 convention speech and said it revived her belief in the country's political system. Instead of waiting for the campaign to arrive in NH in 2008 she came to Iowa early and got to work. She told Obama that she was proud to have shaken his hand, JFK's, and RFK's.

Later on the eve of the caucus we had to deal with some Hillary campaign aides. I thought we were pretty cordial but it was amazing how bitter and disrespectful they were to us (myself, the older lady and a couple other people). I remember Pat being so upset she was crying afterwards, and she said she would never vote for Hillary Clinton. We tried to tell her that Clinton probably wouldn't endorse the behavior we had witnessed but Pat was still upset.

I remember speaking to her weeks later, and asked if she would still refuse to vote for Hillary if she was the nomination. She told me that she had had a private conversation with Obama at some point after NH's primary, and I guess Obama told her something that really resonated with her. She wouldn't tell me what it was, but she said "I won't be voting for her this year...but I agreed to vote for her in 2016." She winked and we laughed about it.

She passed away last summer. I know Obama spoke with her at some point before she passed. Couldn't help but think about her all day.

great story.

That's an awesome story. What a great woman.

tmarg

Trump's unfavorables are shocking. If this race wasn't so populated, he'd be getting pummeled. Why do people think he can win a GE?

I don't think he would. He's at 43% in that poll just posted above. Cruz is almost as nuts, and he's at two.

I agree he can't win a ge though.

I don't think he would. He's at 43% in that poll just posted above. Cruz is almost as nuts, and he's at two.

I agree he can't win a ge though.

He loses head-to-head against Cruz (and Rubio) in most polls. Thankfully for him this isn't going to be a two person race for a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Basically, I love that every poll shows one of the four establishment candidates in third place. But EACH poll shows a different establishment candidate!

He does? I thought Trump was pretty much coming up on top in all scenarios except vs Dems.

Look at the latest Selzer poll, Trump loses to Cruz 53 to 35 because Trump isn't a popular second option and has terrible favorables. Other state polls also show him losing head to head matchups.

tmarg

He loses head-to-head against Cruz (and Rubio) in most polls. Thankfully for him this isn't going to be a two person race for a while.

I could see him losing to Cruz head to head. I don't think the establishment has anywhere the vote s needed to push Rubio though. If Cruz were out of the equation, his support would be split between trump and the other outsider nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom