• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has, at various points, said things supporting single payer but has never made implementing it part of his campaign platform. He's also supported expanded savings accounts and reducing vaccinations so he doesn't really have a healthcare plan.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Health_Care.htm

Clinton, and many other Democrats, belief that the challenges in implementing single payer are larger than the potential benefits and a gradual expansion of the ACA is a better alternative. This article explains why in great detail:

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/16/10779270/pollack-single-payer-in-america

he also supports negotiating drug prices, particularly in regards to medicare.

Makai

The general is going to be all about sex scandals, I am sure. Bill allegedly has a recent mistress. And we all know Trump has slept around.

new-york-post-cover.png

@davidplouffe

Sanders closing with Cornel West and embracing idea of Buyer's Remorse with @POTUS. Be honest then Senator - run firmly against Obama record
https://twitter.com/davidplouffe/status/693847764648751104

Pathetic.

One of the focus group tested potential messages for 2016 was basically "Obama is a good man and tried to change Washington, but..." The variations are that he couldn't do it, or Washington changed him, or he needed more help, etc etc. All types of different stuff but the general arc is the same: Obama is a good guy and did his best, but. You almost never hear Sanders use that line. Hillary does it all the time, as does O'Malley.

Sanders has clear disdain for the president and his record. I'm not upset at the idea of people being disillusioned with the president, I get that and am disillusioned in a few ways as well. But I can't respect a so called democrat who can't respect what Obama managed to accomplish in the face of nonstop opposition, who doesn't acknowledge how far the country has come, etc. Sanders' talking points are very similar to republicans in the sense that he almost seems to act like it's still September 2008. As if we're still losing 800k jobs a month or the economy is still crashing and there has been no progress on healthcare or anything else.

NeoXChaos

If anything its progressives who let Obama down by not voting in 2010 and 2014. The bolded screwed him over for the rest of his presidency

FiggyCal

Banned

Pathetic.

One of the focus group tested potential messages for 2016 was basically "Obama is a good man and tried to change Washington, but..." The variations are that he couldn't do it, or Washington changed him, or he needed more help, etc etc. All types of different stuff but the general arc is the same: Obama is a good guy and did his best, but. You almost never hear Sanders use that line. Hillary does it all the time, as does O'Malley.

Sanders has clear disdain for the president and his record. I'm not upset at the idea of people being disillusioned with the president, I get that and am disillusioned in a few ways as well. But I can't respect a so called democrat who can't respect what Obama managed to accomplish in the face of nonstop opposition, who doesn't acknowledge how far the country has come, etc. Sanders' talking points are very similar to republicans in the sense that he almost seems to act like it's still September 2008. As if we're still losing 800k jobs a month or the economy is still crashing and there has been no progress on healthcare or anything else.

But isn't the obvious answer that he isn't a democrat. He's not even a liberal. It's not surprising that he's not a huge fan of Obama or the Democratic Party.

Pathetic.

Iirc many democrats ran away from obama back in 10 and 14, so i dont quite see the problem with an outsider that's only running inside the party in order to not skullfuck the general doing the same.

Ploufee being salty against it is just him trying to shape the message in a way that he knows would backfire for sanders. Politicians gon politics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Iirc many democrats ran away from obama back in 10 and 14, so i dont quite see the problem with an outsider that's only running inside the party in order to not skullfuck the general doing the same.

Ploufee being salty against it is just him trying to shape the message in a way that he knows would backfire for sanders. Politicians gon politics.

While it's true, the Dems didn't exactly have a lot of success running away from Obama.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Obama's handling of the PPACA legislative timeline was such a massive floppola that I understand democrats running away. I'm still going to blame them for running away though!

That summer was a disaster. I'll never forget videos of that idiot claiming that the affordable care act was basically weimar germany.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Obama's handling of the PPACA legislative timeline was such a massive floppola that I understand democrats running away. I'm still going to blame them for running away though!

That summer was a disaster. I'll never forget videos of that idiot claiming that the affordable care act was basically weimar germany.

I get them running in 2010, what with the rise of the Tea Party, but in 2014? That was just idiocy.

Which, i'd venture a guess, is why, as the dude mentions, Sanders is testing the waters *very* carefully

Considering Obama's popularity is back on the rise, I'm not so sure it's a bet worth taking.

If anything its progressives who let Obama down by not voting in 2010 and 2014. The bolded screwed him over for the rest of his presidency

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think 2010 probably screwed over the Democrats for probably a generation. Congressional and state districts were gerrymandered so heavily towards the GOP, that even I'm not sure if 2020 will be enough to reverse the damage. If Democratic turnout is still a problem for the midterms for the next decade, then 2030 could also be another problematic year as well. The only thing we have to rely on is the Supreme Court, and that also depends on how long the Democrats can hold on to the White House.

I realize the states have control on how they draw their districts, but something needs to be done about the blatant abuse of gerrymandering for political gain.

NeoXChaos

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think 2010 probably screwed over the Democrats for probably a generation. Congressional and state districts were gerrymandered so heavily towards the GOP, that even I'm not sure if 2020 will be enough to reverse the damage. If Democratic turnout is still a problem for the midterms for the next decade, then 2030 could also be another problematic year as well. The only thing we have to rely on is the Supreme Court, and that also depends on how long the Democrats can hold on to the White House.

I realize the states have control on how they draw their districts, but something needs to be done about the blatant abuse of gerrymandering for political gain.

if things get too dire then a drastic court challenge might be the way forward to take the power away from the states. Honestly don't know if that could be done. States control both their lines and Congress.

tmarg

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think 2010 probably screwed over the Democrats for probably a generation. Congressional and state districts were gerrymandered so heavily towards the GOP, that even I'm not sure if 2020 will be enough to reverse the damage.

I might agree with you, except the republican party is such a mess I don't think they can continue to take advantage.

if things get too dire then a drastic court challenge might be the way forward to take the power away from the states. Honestly don't know if that could be done. States control both their lines and Congress.

I'm not sure what constitutional basis there would be for the federal government to take away redistricting authority from the states.

Considering Obama's popularity is back on the rise, I'm not so sure it's a bet worth taking.

I'm not quite seeing it as an attack on bam's record, but more of a way to explain to Joe Voter why he failed to do all he could, thus the need for a REVOLUTION, instead of just more of the same.

Its a way to directly attack hill's proposition. You pointing out that the same approach will get the same results. Obv will backfire if most voters are quite happy with the results, thankyouverymuch, thus the need to finetune.

Plus he's in a stage where he can afford to take these kinda bets. Things stay the way they going he'll lose the nom, so might as well gamble.

Sianos

We all know what the GOP's plan for that man would have been:

Same as it ever was

Of course, they always seem to change their tune when they themselves are dying.

Suddenly, they aren't okay with the idea of those who cannot care for themselves being left to die any more.

None of them ever have the guts to admit how under their own philosophy they must be pathetic and deserve to die, how their suffering must be their own fault and that in death they leave the world a better off place.Oh no, now they apply the situational theory of attribution... I wonder why? Never met one social darwinist that did, and despite having a small sample size I am pretty confident not one will.

And I, of course, show the same outward kindness to them as they die as I would to anyone else, even though they don't deserve it after how they treat others and wish death upon them. But I forgive them and still try to make their last moments happy at a great expense to my personal finances.

My grandmother was a person who actually felt and understood human kindness - which is why her slow death while I grappled with trying to get her proper medical and psychological care as Rick Fucking Scott rejected Medicaid expansion and the idiots in my family cheered him on for it while simultaneously feeling miserable and helpless as her situation worsened was particularly agonizing for me. I think after her death they understand, but they have some much cognitive dissonance from years of conservative propaganda that no one really talks about health care any more.

Sorry if this post comes off as a bit angry, but it's a touchy subject for me. The good news is, I believe that working together we can construct a better future where medical care and soulful therapy is available to all. I greatly fear that a failure in this election cycle will ruin any gains made and make it a very hard fight to return to the path, but I also have faith in the people to make sure that won't happen as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Man, Glenn Greenwald has started to turn from someone who I respect into some of the worst aspects of BernieBro-ism where Hillary is portrayed as a secret neocon with no values. His tweets have started gone from legitimately interesting to something you'd find on r/Politics.

Man, Glenn Greenwald has started to turn from someone who I respect into some of the worst aspects of BernieBro-ism where Hillary is portrayed as a secret neocon with no values. His tweets have started gone from legitimately interesting to something you'd find on r/Politics.

Glenn likes snowden. Hills wants his head on a pike.

A bit expected.

There's more to it than that, evidently, but that's a decent snapshot of why their positions will orient towards antagonism.

ivysaur12

Banned
Glenn likes snowden. Hills wants his head on a pike.

A bit expected.

There's more to it than that, evidently, but that's a decent snapshot of why their positions will orient towards antagonism.

Oh, no, I get it, but it's turned from policy debate towards unreasonable antagonism.

HylianTom

Banned
Right to Rise USA Jan 31 YE Report:
Raised: $15.1M
Raised TD: $118M
COH: $58.6M

Holy hell. That's a lot of money available for continuing to roast Rubio..

edit: there's that MSNBC election music again. And Rachel is on - woo!

tmarg

Wait, he's still getting money? I figured he was just burning through what was left over from when he was competitive.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh, no, I get it, but it's turned from policy debate towards unreasonable antagonism.

He's pretty much been that way with President Obama for a while now. It's disappointing as he could be a much better voice for his political goals, but he's way too puritanical.

ivysaur12

Banned
... you're just now noticing Glenn Greenwald's M.O.?

I think he does a great job when he focuses on policy and facts, but it's become (increasingly) personal in ways that I don't think it quite was before during the Snowden debacle. Like, sharing a video of Warren on Hillary in 2004 is so unbelievably eye-roll worthy, yet here we are!

He's pretty much been that way with President Obama for a while now. It's disappointing as he could be a much better voice for his political goals, but he's way too puritanical.

Yup. Sort of where I am. I still like The Intercept because I think it does a good job filling a void that DailyKos and ThinkProgress or Slate can't. But. Yeah.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

edit: there's that MSNBC election music again. And Rachel is on - woo!

Wow. People are freaking crazy. $60MM...bush is not dropping out of this race until April. Did his campaign release numbers? I can't imagine he has a ton of money to run his actual campaign with. That's going to limit how effective he can be.

kingkitty

I'm starting to get the jitters about Trump's ground game in Iowa. Cruz could find a way, like an eyelid pimple.

And I would hate to see Rubio get 3rd. Any sniffing of Rubmentum needs to be squashed.

C'mon Carson, nap your way to a surprise 3rd. You can do this.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm starting to get the jitters about Trump's ground game in Iowa. Cruz could find a way, like an eyelid pimple.

And I would hate to see Rubio get 3rd. Any sniffing of Rubmentum needs to be squashed.

I think Carson might just wake up in time for his nomination at the convention.

Iowa is tailor made for a Carson surprise.

Foffy

Banned

Greenwald came up with red flags for me when he started drama with Sam Harris months ago.

Not surprised he'd get further fringe and infer other people are heartless manipulators.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I'm excited that we're finally at the start of this election season. It's been great and enlightening to be here with you all, even when we disagree. You've all made me much more informed and have done a great service.

Cheers to the greatest community on GAF! And go Trump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom