• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't think Trump's big mistake in the general will be calling Clinton a bitch or anything. He'll probably be caught on camera being really rude to young child at a rally or something and it'll blow up.
In all honesty he has been pretty good around kids so far. Him chatting with the kids while giving him rides in the helicopter in the Iowa state fair made him come across dare I say likeable?

Bowdz

One of the most humanizing things I've seen from Trump is about as trivial as you can imagine. Yesterday on ABC News, Tom Yamas(?) greeted Trump in the back halls after a rally and the way Trump greeted Tom (Hey Tom! How are you doing?) legitimately sounded so friendly and genuine (especially coming from one of the biggest bullshitters in the world), it honestly made me think that maybe this was the real Trump that is friendly with everyone.

Stupid and trivial, but impactful to me.

Cheebo

Banned
trump I think has more humanity under him than Romney did in 2012. Trump has this odd child like enthusiasm to him that makes him seem like he has real emotions at the very least.

ctothej

Question: if Sanders gets 49% and gets Hillary's 46% (as shown by the Quinnipiac poll), could Hillary still win because of caucus math? Like, since so much of Sanders' support is concentrated in college towns etc., would he realistically need to win the popular vote by a higher margin than 3%?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Question: if Sanders gets 49% and gets Hillary's 46% (as shown by the Quinnipiac poll), could Hillary still win because of caucus math? Like, since so much of Sanders' support is concentrated in college towns etc., would he realistically need to win the popular vote by a higher margin than 3%?

Yes. We won't know the popular vote margin though, only the delegate allocation.

ivysaur12

Banned
WE'RE HERE KIDS

WE DID IT

IT'S TODAY

tumblr_n9v198H3ze1s2pcrvo1_250.gif

Armaros

Yes, him winning with just by a few percentage points would most likely mean running up the margins where he is already strong (the mentioned collage towns) and delgates have a cap, so it does nothing for the delegate count.

We won't know the exact vote numbers until March.

ivysaur12

Banned
Have you considered that Greenwald hasn't changed, but your defensiveness of Clinton has

Or maybe it's that he's gotten more vitriolic ever since the race got closer!!

Maybe that's part of the case -- I'm well aware of my own biases. I appreciate Glenn's viewpoint on a lot of things, and realize he goes for the jugular more than he should. He's overstepped leading up the caucuses, and that Warren video is just the biggest, dumbest piece of "LOOK SHE'S NOT A REAL PROGRESSIVE!" stuff you'd expect from a DailyKos commenter.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
for a young senator and his first time running for prez, Obama really lucked out with a class team of people. And alot of them were newbies too right?

Lot of smart newbies who didn't end up going into politics for the most part. He also had a solid 4+ years to build his team, since the 2004 Senate race ended up turning into a joke.

They were, but he was so damn smart. So smart. He realized that he couldn't beat Hillary in three contests. He realized that he had to it an entirely new way. And he did it. He saw what her weaknesses were, both demographically and structurally, and took damn good advantage of them. Insanely good advantage of them. He used his foothold with the children to open up advantages among other demographics within the party.

His shit was on an entirely different level. While I was volunteering for Hillary, we had shit level stuff. I mean, just terrible. She hadn't planned that far out, really. It got better about halfway through, but by then he was ranking up huge delegate advantages in those red state caucuses. When I stopped for Hillary (after we were shut down, believe me, I was there until the bitter end)., and switched to Obama, after the required three weeks of mourning and WHY GOD WHY, I was just shocked. They had up to date information. It was easy to access. Phone banking was simple. They were just....on a whole other level.

Interestingly, 2012 was not as good. Not appreciably worse, but definitely not as good as 2008.

2012 had the problem where a lot of the folks from 2008 had gone on elsewhere, from my understanding.

This will probably happen - however, the narrative will be the key leading out of Iowa. If Sanders wins Iowa, then NH, then the narrative will be that HRC has a fight on her hands. If Sanders loses Iowa, wins NH, and then gets trashed in SC, it'll probably be over for Sanders.

Armaros

Lot of smart newbies who didn't end up going into politics for the most part. He also had a solid 4+ years to build his team, since the 2004 Senate race ended up turning into a joke.

2012 had the problem where a lot of the folks from 2008 had gone on elsewhere, from my understanding.

This will probably happen - however, the narrative will be the key leading out of Iowa. If Sanders wins Iowa, then NH, then the narrative will be that HRC has a fight on her hands. If Sanders loses Iowa, wins NH, and then gets trashed in SC, it'll probably be over for Sanders.

I imagine running such a dominate campaign in 2008 would open doors for other careers and lock them out of going back in 2012 (unless they quit their jobs)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

HylianTom

Banned

Polling average suggests that Hillary is slightly ahead, but for simplicity's sake lets say that Sanders and Clinton are effectively tied and each get 100 voters to spread across the playing field.

If Seltzer's polling is to be believed, 27 of those Bernie voters would be clustered in 3 counties.
The other 73 Bernie voters would be spread-out throughout the other 96 counties.

Hillary's 100 voters are more evenly spread over the 99 counties; she has much less of a cluster effect.

Bernie's going to absolutely romp in those three counties. But he's going to need a rather large wave of new voters outside of those locations in order to catch-up.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I imagine running such a dominate campaign in 2008 would open doors for other careers and lock them out of going back in 2012 (unless they quit their jobs)

A lot of us also graduated and went to go do what our degrees and stuff were in. :D Once the recession happened afterward - I can imagine a lot of people wanted to stay in their current jobs as well. For those who went into politics - yeah; the Obama 08 team was basically a gold star to put on your resume that opened a lot of doors.

Does Sanders need to win by at least 3% in order to win the caucus? Also consider that Sanders camp has rented a shitton of buses to bus home kids willing to do so. Considering clases will be likely cancelled tomorrow due to snow, it may sound like a tempting offer for college kids.

We will see, I see Clinton camp more organized in the strategic game. Sanders may need to win the popular vote by a larger margin.

pigeon

Banned
Apparently the guy staffing up the data operations for the RNC is a Facebook friend of mine. He just posted saying he's hiring 200 engineers for the run-up to this election.

lenovox1

A candidate is assigned delegates and wins delegates on a per county basis. The reason Hilary has an edge isn't just because Sanders's support is concentrated in three counties. It's also because Hillary already has "superdelegates" that automatically give her a head start. Superdelegates are the unelected delegates that can give their support to anyone they want.

So, to answer your question, you can win the popular vote in Iowa statewide and still lose in the delegate count and you can lose it with big margins.

Iolo

Polling average suggests that Hillary is slightly ahead, but for simplicity's sake lets say that Sanders and Clinton are effectively tied and each get 100 voters to spread across the playing field.

If Seltzer's polling is to be believed, 27 of those Bernie voters would be clustered in 3 counties.
The other 73 Bernie voters would be spread-out throughout the other 96 counties.

Hillary's 100 voters are more evenly spread over the 99 counties; she has much less of a cluster effect.

Bernie's going to absolutely romp in those three counties. But he's going to need a rather large wave of new voters outside of those locations in order to catch-up.

A shit-ton of delegates are available in those counties/precincts, though. If Hillary gets blown out there, she's not magically going to win. She still has to keep the margin reasonable there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Prediction: Cruz wins tonight, Donald wins the next 3.

HylianTom

Banned
giphy.gif

A shit-ton of delegates are available in those counties/precincts, though. If Hillary gets blown out there, she's not magically going to win. She still has to keep the margin reasonable there.
Yup. 25% of the delegates in the state, if I recall correctly.

rjinaz

Well, not all of us survived. There were some casualties.

There always is in war.

But still. A lot of the people left have been rather, well let's just say, "vocal". So kudos to us that may have been stubborn and may have gone overboard at times. But not too far...

I will say this though, a lot of you Clinton folks I didn't think I would have have ground to stand on with. But it really seems like there was some ground to find after all. I would even say some people "chilled out" I guess I would say. Myself included I suppose. The last month or so has been far more enjoyable here for me.

Just a heads, the GOP polling is likely to be off for numerous reasons.

1. We don't know if Trump's supporters will show up

2. There's 2 types of undecides. The kind that either won't admit they support Trump or want to make sure he doesn't implode before they support him. The other kind is someone who refuses to vote for Trump but has been patiently waiting to see who the best option to defeat him is.

3. The lesser candidates are likely to lose votes as people start to think a little more rationally. A vote for Fiorina is a wasted vote, so why bother? These guys will go somewhere else. Will it be Trump or not-Trump? I don't know.

I'm not arguing that Trump's numbers are too high or too low. I think it's Trump or Cruz. I think Cruz still has an avenue to win. But what I question is how much the results will look like the polls (the order may be right but the differences will be different IMO). It's impossible to guess the outcome because of how many variables are at stake.

The Dem side is a bit more reliable. I think the polling is probably pretty accurate and only turnout will be the variable.

Should be interesting, that's for sure.

NeoXChaos

Are Cerium and SourShoes are still banned? Hopefully it wasn't perma.

them and Bertram are sill banned. Tonight is going to be boring without Hillary's number #1 cheerleader on GAF.
Cerium

HillaryGAF let's behave ourselves tonight. If we win no rubbing it in.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
them and Bertram are sill banned. Tonight is going to be better without Hillary's number #1 cheerleader.
Cerium
FTFY

Reading B-Dubs thread I felt sick of these themes, but then I thought of something unconventional for the fifth Democratic debate that will likely have a mixed reception.

kingkitty

FTFY

Reading B-Dubs thread I felt sick of these themes, but then I thought of something unconventional for the fifth Democratic debate that will likely have a mixed reception.

is the theme Blues Clues? that'd be neat

i picked hamtaro for my last thread, but it was a coin clip between ham and blue.

Iolo

giphy.gif

Yup. 25% of the delegates in the state, if I recall correctly.

Tonight we shall probably see whether (or how much of) Obama's win came from "enthusiasm" and big rallies, and how much from pure organization. That's not to denigrate Sanders' organization at all. But since the youth vote seems equally as excited as for Obama, it probably represents a constant in the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom