• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

So you were saying it's a bad decision to go to court this quickly not for legal reasons but because Democrats might not vote for him if he does?

Yes? He wants to win the democratic primaries, and that press conference was a fiasco. Totally the wrong approach to this in every way.

His team did something wrong - this is an admitted fact. Instead of a mild 'we are co/operating etc', they got onstage, blamed everyone else in an angry rant and threatened to sue to get access back to the thing they abused in the first place!

It's not just bad in terms of this episode, it's also bad because it plays into the wider image he has of being an angry, shouting candidate. And people generally won't be favourable on someone whose campaign screwed up and then ran to the courts immediately whilst blaming everyone else. It's not a good look on anyone.

HUELEN10

That wasn't a clarification.

I'm wondering specifically which of Rubio's policies you like/dislike vs Clinton's policies you like/dislike.

Doing isidewith again to see what it comes up with.

I mean, it's hard. So many of the questions require a fill-in for me.

I'm astonished at that press conference honestly. It came way too soon. It should have been a minute tops of "we take this very seriously and co-operating with the DNC and the vendor to get to the bottom of what happened", tempers are clearly running too high over there at the moment
That comes from the top. It's the complete opposite of Obama's no drama approach to controlling his campaign. Whereas Sanders' abrasive style is clearly mirrored by the amateurs that make up his staff.

benjipwns

Banned
Doing isidewith again to see what it comes up with.

I mean, it's hard. So many of the questions require a fill-in for me.
You realize that these are more of a suggestion than a scientific process. This might give completely different answers: http://www.ontheissues.org/Quiz/Quiz2014.asp?quiz=Pres2016 You should use them not as a definitive answer but as a helpful suggestion as which candidates you should examine in further detail.

And then not vote because voting is useless.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, how involved is Bernie at this point? Obviously he didn't know about the data shennanigans until shit hit the fan, but surely his campaign wouldn't have made the "to the courts" threat without checking with him. Right?

I'm withholding judgement until we know exactly the extent of what happened. However, this, again, just shows the level of incompetence Bernie has surrounded himself with. I mean, I know the pickings weren't great, but come on. They've pretty much bungled this in every way possible. First, they claim it's a low level staffer...when it wasn't. Then they claim it was just one guy, when it probably wasn't (although we don't know for certain). Now, they're throwing a hissy fit for being temporarily locked out of the database....because someone in their campaign did something stupid.

I think Bernie is a good man who surrounded himself with a bunch of bastards. They have, literally, destroyed his campaign from day one. It's ridiculous. Here he was, going into the debate with news of reaching his 2 million donors and whatever that union endorsement was...and what do they manage to do? This. Well done.

I hate seeing this because in the very unlikely possibility he's our nominee, shit like this destroys your campaign. The GOP would take this and run to the fucking presses for weeks.

East Lake

Yes? He wants to win the democratic primaries, and that press conference was a fiasco. Totally the wrong approach to this in every way.

His team did something wrong - this is an admitted fact. Instead of a mild 'we are co/operating etc', they got onstage, blamed everyone else in an angry rant and threatened to sue to get access back to the thing they abused in the first place!

It's not just bad in terms of this episode, it's also bad because it plays into the wider image he has of being an angry, shouting candidate. And people generally won't be favourable on someone whose campaign screwed up and then ran to the courts immediately whilst blaming everyone else. It's not a good look on anyone.
True. I'm sure there could be dozens of voters ready to jump ship over a staffer data beach.

Also, how involved is Bernie at this point? Obviously he didn't know about the data shennanigans until shit hit the fan, but surely his campaign wouldn't have made the "to the courts" threat without checking with him. Right?

I'm not even sure anymore. It's not like they haven't said things that go against Bernie before.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You realize that these are more of a suggestion than a scientific process. This might give completely different answers: http://www.ontheissues.org/Quiz/Quiz2014.asp?quiz=Pres2016 You should use them not as a definitive answer but as a helpful suggestion as which candidates you should examine in further detail.

But Benji, why would you vote if the state was illegitimate?

Hindl

I'm withholding judgement until we know exactly the extent of what happened. However, this, again, just shows the level of incompetence Bernie has surrounded himself with. I mean, I know the pickings weren't great, but come on. They've pretty much bungled this in every way possible. First, they claim it's a low level staffer...when it wasn't. Then they claim it was just one guy, when it probably wasn't (although we don't know for certain). Now, they're throwing a hissy fit for being temporarily locked out of the database....because someone in their campaign did something stupid.

I think Bernie is a good man who surrounded himself with a bunch of bastards. They have, literally, destroyed his campaign from day one. It's ridiculous. Here he was, going into the debate with news of reaching his 2 million donors and whatever that union endorsement was...and what do they manage to do? This. Well done.

I hate seeing this because in the very unlikely possibility he's our nominee, shit like this destroys your campaign. The GOP would take this and run to the fucking presses for weeks.

Yeah I agree. I like Bernie. I honestly agree with more of his policies than Hillary (although this is a case of like 98% Bernie vs 90% Hillary), and I would absolutely support him if he were the nominee. I came to the same conclusion that a lot of people did though, where I'd vote for Bernie in the primaries, and go with Hillary once she wins the nom.

But this? He's picked a staff that's screwed up at every major hurdle. Even if he wins the presidency, that makes me extremely nervous that he would be able to pick good appointments once he's in office, given how poorly he's chosen a campaign staff

Tarkus

I'm sure he dragged and dropped the folders into the thumb drive himself.

Sometimes I just read and then take a step away from the computer. IT's better for my health. I have a child coming after all.
Congrats! Welcome to the club!

It's just that bird law in this country; it's not governed by reason.

The government used to protect us from tyranny against the seizure of tasteful, artistic photographs of beautiful bodies. That same government wants to come in to our homes and tell us what is or is not art? That's not right!

HUELEN10

but that gets me ridiculed.

I mean, I just got unexpected results again.
2hjVycU.jpg
This time with Clinton and Carson. I swear it's different each time. The fill-ins is what fucks me up each time. Of course one shouldn't vote based solely on an online random quiz, that would be asinine. I will look at your link.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I agree. I like Bernie. I honestly agree with more of his policies than Hillary (although this is a case of like 98% Bernie vs 90% Hillary), and I would absolutely support him if he were the nominee. I came to the same conclusion that a lot of people did though, where I'd vote for Bernie in the primaries, and go with Hillary once she wins the nom.

But this? He's picked a staff that's screwed up at every major hurdle. Even if he wins the presidency, that makes me extremely nervous that he would be able to pick good appointments once he's in office, given how poorly he's chosen a campaign staff

He doesn't exactly have a big pool to select from right now; he literally has to pick whatever's available, which obviously isn't true of a presidential situation.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
but that gets me ridiculed.

I mean, I just got unexpected results again.

This time with Clinton and Carson. I swear it's different each time. The fill-ins is what fucks me up each time. Of course one shouldn't vote based solely on an online random quiz, that would be asinine. I will look at your link.
I...I mean this genuinely. How do you...agree with Ben Carson on science?

HUELEN10

I...I mean this genuinely. How do you...agree with Ben Carson on science?

No, I agree according to this quiz on science with both Clinton AND Carson, I just agreed with more Carson stuff overall, putting me ahead of Clinton. That is how skewed this quiz gets.

And no, I don't agree with Carson with most science I would think. His pyramid talk anyone?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The courts threat isn't over whether the staffer did or did not do anything, it's about the fact that the Sanders campaign's data is also with VAN, so the DNC aren't just locking him out of Democratic data, they're locking him out of his *own* data - hence the legal challenge.

Honestly, I don't think this reflects well on the DNC, either.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol DWS attacking Sanders in CNN as if he was a GOP candidate. Shameful person.

You should see MSNBC then, the fired staffer admitted to making copies of the data. Of course he says it was to prove it could be done. Neither Bernie nor the DNC is going to come out of this looking good, both are going to look like utter morons once it's all settled.

Your first I take it? Girls are the best. The first 2 weeks are rough, but then you'll be a pro in time. When you first see her, your entire life will change instantaneously :)

It's my first. My wife and I waited until we were more financially set, in a good house and a good neighborhood. So we're "ready" but not ready if you know what I mean. They're not born with instruction manuals after all lol.

Everyone has mixed opinions one which are easier or not. Ideally I wanted one of each boy and girl. I have a feeling Karma will bite me in the ass and she's gonna be a handful. We're very excited though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You should see MSNBC then, the fired staffer admitted to making copies of the data. Of course he says it was to prove it could be done. Neither Bernie nor the DNC is going to come out of this looking good, both are going to look like utter morons once it's all settled.

Pretty much. This feels like something that should have been settled two months ago the first time this happened by DWS telling the vendor to get their act together or face a contract change. I'm still surprised she managed to get the DNC chair position, she's utterly terrible in the role.

Actually, that's like the one unifying idea in the whole Democratic party at this point - DWS' incompetence.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's my first. My wife and I waited until we were more financially set, in a good house and a good neighborhood. So we're "ready" but not ready if you know what I mean. They're not born with instruction manuals after all lol.

Everyone has mixed opinions one which are easier or not. Ideally I wanted one of each boy and girl. I have a feeling Karma will bite me in the ass and she's gonna be a handful. We're very excited though.

Congratulations dude, that is beyond awesome.

Be sure to check the toe tags though to make sure you take home the right one, it'd be really fucking awkward if you took home someone else's kid.

Maledict

The courts threat isn't over whether the staffer did or did not do anything, it's about the fact that the Sanders campaign's data is also with VAN, so the DNC aren't just locking him out of Democratic data, they're locking him out of his *own* data - hence the legal challenge.

Honestly, I don't think this reflects well on the DNC, either.

I don't think anyone thinks the court threat is about what the staffer did - its about access to the data. But given the Sander's campaign has done something very wrong, and their guy is even admitting to making copies of data on live TV, not giving them access back is completely reasonable given its not even been 24 hours.

The issue of whether they notified the DNC or not is going to be quite key - if the guys defence is that he made copies of Clinton's lists to prove he could, but then it was the vendor that alerted people to this rather than Sander's campaign, his excuse doesn't really stack up.

Also worth noting that calling him a staffer underplays his role - this wasn't a junior person, this was the guy responsible for Bernies digital campaign.

(Also who the hell does something so stupid as to committee a crime to prove you can commit a crime?!?!?)

HUELEN10

I am done with these quizzes.
There is absolutely no consitency. How can my top pick in one quiz be my last in another?

And Chris Christie? That guy doesn't believe in vaccines. I can't take them and depend on herd immunity... His thought process could kill me! Like, shit man...

Maybe I am the proof that these quizzes are bullshit?

There is absolutely no consitency. How can my top pick in one quiz be my last in another?

And Chris Christie? That guy doesn't believe in vaccines. I can't take them and depend on herd immunity... His thought process could kill me! Like, shit man...

That's why you shouldn't use quizzes to decide who to vote for. Look up their policies and form your own opinion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone thinks the court threat is about what the staffer did - its about access to the data. But given the Sander's campaign has done something very wrong, and their guy is even admitting to making copies of data on live TV, not giving them access back is completely reasonable given its not even been 24 hours.

No. Separating them from DNC data - fine, sure, I've said so as much myself. Separating them from the Sanders' campaign's own data created by the campaign itself? Absolute bullshit. If that's not restored, I fully favour a court case.

Thanks B-Dubs!

Maybe I am the proof that these quizzes are bullshit?

It's priorities man. It seems like you're conservative economically with conservative views on immigration while having very liberal social views.

HUELEN10

That's why you shouldn't use quizzes to decide who to vote for. Look up their policies and form your own opinion.

I did, but people ask for the quizzes.

My opinion? Clinton can't be trusted, Sanders May or may not be connected to similar reasons that I would never vote for Clinton, making me a possible hypocrite should things go down and I vote for him, Trump has some interesting things I like, but is full of hate and anti-constitutional beliefs, and sanders I believe is the least damaging republican candidate, while I have dealt with Rubio as a Floridian and don't like him, but see him as Trump's strongest opposition.

I think to me, Rubio is definitely worth a deeper look.

Hindl

He doesn't exactly have a big pool to select from right now; he literally has to pick whatever's available, which obviously isn't true of a presidential situation.

Yeah fair enough, he doesn't have a lot to pick from. Still, he seems to have lost control of his campaign.

But I agree with the general sentiment, no one really comes out of this looking good

Maledict

No. Separating them from DNC data - fine, sure, I've said so as much myself. Separating them from the Sanders' campaign's own data created by the campaign itself? Absolute bullshit. If that's not restored, I fully favour a court case.

Had the DNC removed access permanently I would agree completely. But this is less than 24 hours after it happened, whilst the facts are still up in the air and the staff member responsible is on live TV saying the opposite of what the Sander's campaign is saying.

You don't, under these circumstances, immediately leap to the courts. You apologies, fire the guy responsible, and say your completely co-operating with the DNC. Go to the courts if they are obviously dicking you around or whatever, but not within hours of story breaking.

Anything else is just silly and stupid at this stage. It gives more oxygen to a story you don't want running, and it plays into the already bad image of Bernie being a shouty old man always complaining.

rjinaz

My opinion? Clinton can't be trusted, Sanders May or may not be connected to similar reasons that I would never vote for Clinton, making me a possible hypocrite should things go down and I vote for him, Trump has some interesting things I like, but is full of hate and anti-constitutional beliefs, and sanders I believe is the least damaging republican candidate, while I have dealt with Rubio as a Floridian and don't like him, but see him as Trump's strongest opposition.

It really seems like you are voting on personality and your feelings on who you like as a person based on impressions from media, rather than on policies. Because if it was policies there is no way you could go from Sanders to Trump.

These are not policy based views, breh. These are platitudes. You're voting based on a feeling.

HUELEN10

These are not policy based views, breh. These are platitudes. You're voting based on a feeling.

Oh no, that just my opinions on them. I would never vote for feelings. If I did, I would not have voted Obama in 2012. Always vote on policy, always vote on issues.

I guess what's important to me is not what's important to a lot of people? Maybe politics isn't for me.

dramatis

Oh no, that just my opinions on them. I would never vote for feelings. If I did, I would not have voted Obama in 2012. Always vote on policy, always vote on issues.
If you honestly need it you should just open Excel and lay out all your stances on various issues in a spreadsheet. Then figure out what are your priorities, find the candidate that matches your priorities most, and vote.

Instead you're a person voting on feelings who won't admit you're voting on feelings. Sit down and think about the inconsistencies of your positions for a long moment.

I guess what's important to me is not what's important to a lot of people? Maybe politics isn't for me.
So what's important to you?

Maledict

Do we have to go through the whole 'persuade Huelen to change her / his vote' thing again? It was done to death earlier, with no obvious impact at all, and it seems like we're just repeating exactly the same conversations for no point again.

Huelen has a vote, their method for voting is at least as a rational as half the people out there, there's only so much we can talk about a single vote surely? ;-)

benjipwns

Banned
Florida Times-Union Poll:
Trump 30, Cruz 20, Rubio 15, Bush 13, Carson 8, Christie 6, Paul 3, Fiorina 3, Kasich 1, Huckabee 0, Graham 0, Santorum 0, Pataki 0

Did Bernie hire outside consultants to run his campaign? I know the pickings are slim but he could have stayed with someone that ran his VT campaign at the very least and we would have less of this dissonance. His current staffers are so incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom