• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Support for Operation Wetback was enough crazy for months, let alone a single debate.

That will get any Super PAC GE ad going, no matter the nominee.

"Rubio supports Trump's deportation plan. The same one from the 1950s known as Operation: Wetback where thousands of Mexicans were deported in busses some likened to slave ships."

Etc.

As much as I hate Super PACs and such, it's time for the GOP to get a dose of their own medicine. The Super PACs should be nasty with regards to GOP immigration stances.

On a separate note, Rubio today claimed Ted Cruz supports his immigration plan which is bizarre since Ted Cruz most certainly does not agree with Rubio.

Quick rant.

I certainly don't like Cruz, but Rubio completely lied about Cruz's stance today. Rubio is such a weasely son of a bitch trying to just completely lie his way away from his immigration plan. I really hope Trump and Cruz batter him for his shit.

What really pisses me off however is how every Republican bitches about Obama's immigration bill being some amnesty fiesta and yet, when they describe their ideal bill, it is:
1. Secure the border
2. Let immigrants here illegally come out of the shadows and go to the back of the line
3. Wait some long period of time and pay back taxes
4. Give visas to every foreign college grad

AKA, literally the bill the Senate voted on. I give Trump props for at least being honest about his immigration plan. Most other Republicans secretly support the Senate bill while bitching about "amnesty" in public. Hypocrisy incarnate.

HylianTom

Banned
"You need to grow a better beard. Oh wait, bad babies who do boom boom in their diapies can't grow beards."
I am really, really going to miss the diaper jokes, I have to admit. Someone on Twitter made a joke about how Vitter is going to be a pampered lobbyist once he's out of office, and I just about lost my shit here at work.

Ben Carson Profits From Ties With Convicted Felon, AP Report Finds

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential contender Ben Carson has maintained a business relationship with a close friend convicted of defrauding insurance companies and testified on his behalf, even as the candidate has called for such crimes to be punished harshly.

Pittsburgh dentist Alfonso A. Costa pleaded guilty to a felony count of health care fraud after an FBI probe into his oral surgery practice found he had charged for procedures he never performed, according to court records.

Though the crime carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison, Costa was able to avoid prison time after Carson helped petition a federal judge for leniency.

That's different from the position Carson took in 2013 as he prepared to launch his presidential campaign, saying those convicted of health care fraud should go to prison for at least a decade and be forced to forfeit "all of one's personal possessions."

At Costa's 2008 sentencing hearing, Carson described the dentist as "one my closest, if not my very closest friend."

"We became friends about a decade ago because we discovered that we were so much alike and shared the same values and principles that govern our lives," Carson told the judge, adding that their families vacationed together and that they were involved in "joint projects."

"Next to my wife of 32 years, there is no one on this planet that I trust more than Al Costa," Carson said.

Can't make this shit up. lol carson.

After Costa pleaded guilty, 40 of his family members, friends and dental patients wrote letters to the judge as character witnesses. Carson was one of three people who also testified at Costa's 2008 sentencing hearing, stressing his friend's charitable works and vouching for his personal integrity. Also testifying on Costa's behalf was Jerome Bettis, a beloved former Pittsburgh Stealers running back who had helped bring home a Super Bowl trophy to the city two years earlier.

The government urged the judge to make an example of Costa.

"Reduction of a sentence based on good works by a wealthy person can create the appearance that a defendant's financial resources and prominent connections can skew the justice system in ways not available to persons of lesser means," a prosecutor told the judge.

In the end, Costa got no prison time. He was sentenced to one year of house arrest and 100 hours of community service, and ordered to pay more than $294,000 in fines and restitution. Costa later got 12 months shaved off his three-year probation.

A great example of two justice systems. Well, really three. One for wealthy, another for non-wealthy whites, third for minorities.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am really, really going to miss the diaper jokes, I have to admit. Someone on Twitter made a joke about how Vitter is going to be a pampered lobbyist once he's out of office, and I just about lost my shit here at work.

That depends on his connections.

User 406

Banned

David Vitter has the knowledge and experience to bring you commonsense conservative solutions to your problem.

For your scenario to be right, that Bernie is leading this massive revolution...every single data point everywhere has to be completely wrong. Not a little wrong, either. Entirely, completely, unequivocally, 100% wrong. Every single Democrat who has endorsed Hillary, from both wings of the party, has to be 100% wrong. Every single historical trend would have to be broken. I know you're using the word potential, but that's not the way it works. I have the potential to grow a third leg, but it's not going to happen. Bernie can't even get within 30 points of Hillary in a Southern State, yet he's going to beat her and then, magically, erase the Southern Strategy? Really?

There has been essentially zero movement of AA support towards Sanders. In his favorable/unfavorables, more AA people know about him....but they don't seem to be liking what they see.

Interesting article about Sander's Democrat problem

This is a good read. It also explains why Hillary does light years better among actual Democrats.

So, basically, all Sanders has to do is solve his minority problem, reverse the numbers when it comes to women, find a way to explain away (to the party he wants to lead) while it's no longer morally and intellectually bankrupt, hope Hillary implodes, and hope that everyone who has endorsed Hillary (including superdelegates) gets some type of amnesia before the election.

Bernie has no trouble, at all, attracting enthusiastic support from women, of all ages, based on my own observations of his rallies etc (did you see the photo from that recent poll; it featured 3 women and men), and as is self evident, from that video I posted from the South Carolina - Democratic Women's Council.

Also, if you look back at the 2008 primary, Hillary barely managed to convince 50% of women voters (source):

But in the 2008 Democratic presidential primary campaign, her championship of women did not translate into automatic support by women for her candidacy. Clinton barely won 50 percent of the women's vote in the Democratic primary fight against Barack Obama. She also did not receive unanimous support among women elected leaders, with several of her female Senate colleagues, such as Amy Klobuchar and Claire McCaskill, endorsing Obama.   

Polling showed a generational divide where Hillary captured more older women voters while Obama captured the younger generation. Women in the middle split between the two. The younger woman voter didn't feel a sense of obligation to vote for the first "one of their own," but instead felt more passion for Obama's message of hope and his vision for the future.

Hillary supporters try their best to reject the similarities between the current and 2008 primaries, but the parallels are sometimes uncanny, except this time, she can't say "[he's] not been in Washington enough. He needs to be stewed and seasoned a little more" and in addition, there is little doubt, in all quarters, that Bernie is 100% "the real deal" (essentially, not a "politician"), which is precisely the antedote we needed for Barack "TPP" Obama.

On Bernie's lack of support from American Americans, sure, he still has plenty of work to do, to get his message out there, but the following comment hopefully captures the trend:

Alasandro said:
Oh… he will get the black vote. I just happen to be African American and I can tell you that my interactions with other Black people regarding the next president has been Bernie all the way. Don't believe the hype. The media believes if it keeps telling people that Bernie isn't getting the black vote that black people won't vote for him. Now that some black leaders who are respected in the black community have come forward to support Bernie Sanders things are changing fast. Cornell West, Tavis Smiley, etc… and if you believe that the majority of black people really trust or give a damn what people like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton think I am happy to inform you that we don't.

Hindl

Daniel B·;185214101 said:
Bernie has no trouble, at all, attracting enthusiastic support from women, of all ages, based on my own observations of his ralies etc (did you see the photo from that recent poll; it featured 3 women and men), and as is self evident, from that video I posted from the South Carolina - Democratic Women's Council.

Also, if you look back at the 2008 primary, Hillary barely managed to convince 50% of women voters (source):

Hillary supporters try their best to reject the similarities between the current and 2008 primaries, but the parallels are sometimes uncanny, except this time, she can't say "[he's] not been in Washington enough. He needs to be stewed and seasoned a little more" and in addition, there is little doubt, in all quarters, that Bernie is 100% "the real deal" (essentially, not a "politician"), which is precisely the antedote we needed for Barack "TPP" Obama.

On Bernie's lack of support from American Americans, sure, he still has plenty of work to do, to get his message out there, but the following comment hopefully captures the trend:
Alasandro said:
Oh… he will get the black vote. I just happen to be African American and I can tell you that my interactions with other Black people regarding the next president has been Bernie all the way. Don't believe the hype. The media believes if it keeps telling people that Bernie isn't getting the black vote that black people won't vote for him. Now that some black leaders who are respected in the black community have come forward to support Bernie Sanders things are changing fast. Cornell West, Tavis Smiley, etc… and if you believe that the majority of black people really trust or give a damn what people like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton think I am happy to inform you that we don't.

Counterpoint. Both your argument about women and minorities I've bolded stem from anecdotal evidence, and therefore don't serve as actual arguments

Cerium

Daniel B if you're so sure that Bernie is going to win why don't you buy some of his shares on the betting markets?

You'd get 6:1 odds which seems like a bargain for such a clear and obvious favorite who will win the women vote and the black vote and is the "antidote" for the sitting President who also happens to be the most beloved figure in the Democratic party.

Counterpoint. Both your argument about women and minorities I've bolded stem from anecdotal evidence, and therefore don't serve as actual arguments
Romney in a landslide! Have you seen the size of his crowds?

Makai

Daniel B if you're so sure that Bernie is going to win why don't you buy some of his shares on the betting markets?

You'd get 6:1 odds which seems like a bargain for such a clear and obvious favorite who will win the women vote and the black vote and is the "antidote" for the sitting President who also happens to be the most beloved figure in the Democratic party.
That shit is a racket. 10% fee.

You'd get 6:1 odds which seems like a bargain for such a clear and obvious favorite who will win the women vote and the black vote and is the "antidote" for the sitting President who also happens to be the most beloved figure in the Democratic part

Aren't you from the "Sanders has never had a chance" crowd, and if so, I would counter, have you put down a sizeable chunk on a virtually "guaranteed" double-figure percentage investment?

I bet todays news on the Postal Workers will, or has already, moved those odds.

Cerium

Daniel B·;185217149 said:
Aren't you from the "Sanders has never had a chance" crowd, and if so, I would counter, have you put down a sizeable chunk on a virtually "guaranteed" double-figure percentage investment?

Because the return on that investment would be absolute shit. Clinton's odds are 1:10. Duh.

Daniel B·;185217149 said:
I bet todays news on the Postal Workers will, or has already, moved those odds.

Okay too obvious.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Because the return on that investment would be absolute shit. Clinton's odds are 1:10. Duh.

10% return in ~3 months time is actually pretty decent if you're feeling that confident. I can't think of many other investment opportunities that good.

Daniel B·;185219039 said:
What was hilarious, was you guys were like "Quick, divert attention from that Postal Workers bombshell", with not a single comment :).

I'm going to vote for candidate X because of the Postal Workers endorsement - said nobody ever.

Daniel B·;185219039 said:
What was hilarious, was you guys were like "Quick, divert attention from that Postal Workers bombshell", with not a single comment :).

AFSCME – American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, representing 1.3 million

AFT – American Federation of Teachers, representing 1.6 million

BAC – International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, representing 76,233

IAM – International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, representing 570,423

ILA - International Longshoremen's Association, representing 65,000

IUOE - International Union of Operating Engineers, representing 374,521

IUPAT – International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, representing 103,858

NEA – National Education Association, representing 3 million

OPCMIA – Operative Plasterers' and Cement Masons' International Association, representing 39,000

UA – United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing, Pipefitting and Sprinkler Fitting Industry of the U.S. and Canada, representing 329,954

UBC – The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, representing 520,000

United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers, representing 22,000

These are Hillary's current union endorsements.

So.....Ya...no. IT's a fine get. I'm not salty he got it. It's going to change absolutely nothing. There aren't enough outstanding union endorsements to equal what Hillary already has. She has a majority...just like a majority of Democrats actually support her :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth I wouldn't bet on 2/17 because I genuinely wouldn't be confident at that point. If 1 in 10 Democratic primary voters change their mind then Sanders is beating Clinton 43-42. I think that's pretty damn unlikely... but not less than 10% likely, which means 2/17 in the long-run is probably not good odds. I'd take it at 2/13 at the best. I think Hillary's odds are somewhat below good value at the moment.

These are Hillary's current union endorsements.

So.....Ya...no. IT's a fine get. I'm not salty he got it. It's going to change absolutely nothing. There aren't enough outstanding union endorsements to equal what Hillary already has. She has a majority...just like a majority of Democrats actually support her :)

O.k., v. good retort and I am reading and weeping... I need to investigate what's going on there, as Bernie is very much for unions.

Any comment on why Hillary didn't manage to convince a significant percentage of women, in the 08 primary, and why, if anything, Bernie won't do even better (given that she can't claim he's inexperienced, like with Obama etc)? Bernie's endorsement by the 185k strong, National Nurses United union, was another nice "get", especially in this regard.

SL128

So right now, what are everyone's thoughts on the likelihood of a brokered [Republican]
but I'm also curious about Dan B's views for the Democrat's primary
convention, and who would ultimately win it?

Right now, I'm thinking that a brokered convention is the most likely way for an establishment candidate to win.

Daniel B·;185230400 said:
O.k., v. good retort and I am reading and weeping... I need to investigate what's going on there, as Bernie is very much for unions.

Any comment on why Hillary didn't manage to convince a significant percentage of women, in the 08 primary, and why, if anything, Bernie won't do even better (given that she can't claim he's inexperienced, like with Obama etc)?

What is going on there is that they support Hillary over Bernie. I mean, I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's really that simple. They like her more than Bernie. They think she can win more than Bernie can. It really, really is that simple.

Hillary did win an overal majority in the popular vote in 2008. Obama won because his people were great at turning caucuses into huge delegate leads for him.

Of the 35 states and the District of Columbia where exit polling with demographic data was available in 2008, Clinton won the women’s vote in 20 primaries but lost it in 16. When she lost, it was usually due to Obama’s strength with African American women and young women. He also built a better grassroots base, outraising Clinton with 124,344 female donors to her 53,613. Where Clinton won hands down was amongst older white women, but Grounds recognized that there was plenty of headway to be made with black and young women in 2016.

The issue is intersectionality. Because a large portion of the female base in Democratic primaries happen to be African American women. In the case of supporting Obama over Clinton, race may have been more of a contributing causal factor than simply gender. (No I'm not saying that people support a candidate based on race or gender exclusively, but it has to be a part of the over all discussion with history bucking candidates like Obama, Clinton or even Rubio.)

As of July, 61% of Hillary's donors were women. The previous record was Obama at 47%.

And, again, Sanders is not Obama. They're not even comparable. I know a lot of Sanders fans really, really, really want them to be...but they're not. Not even close.

Holmes

Clinton has done a much better job showing her commitment to unions and has probably given them better reasons for them to support her. Her outreach campaign is probably better than Bernie's. Remember, endorsement deals, especially ones that concern unions, are very much backroom affairs.

Originally Posted by Alasandro said:

This is pretty anecdotal, and there is a pretty good chance that older blacks still trust Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton. I know anecdotally of blacks who don't like Cornel West because of his dislike of President Obama. So, yeah, all guesswork.

Black people are not a monolith, which explains why Dr. Ben Carson and other black Republicans exist, and why there are people like Alasandro who support Bernie Sanders. But the polls are showing that most black people who have made a decision are choosing Hillary Clinton.

But the real bottom line is, there are many black people who are sick and tired of being told that their decisions are invalid because they "just don't have all the information" or because they are "being misled" ( Ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok! , to quote the Malcolm X movie). If I vote for Hilary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whomever, it's because that is the person I've chosen for whatever reason I've chosen, not because I've been tricked by the Establishment or the Leftist Fringe or whatever. It's insulting and condescending to say otherwise.

What is going on there is that they support Hillary over Bernie. I mean, I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's really that simple. They like her more than Bernie. They think she can win more than Bernie can. It really, really is that simple.

Hillary did win an overal majority in the popular vote in 2008. Obama won because his people were great at turning caucuses into huge delegate leads for him.

it's a BIT more complicated than that. IIRC Hillary had a clear lead in the popular vote, but it came down to Michigan where she was on the ballot and he wasn't, because michigan was disqualified.

without michigan (and including florida, which had similar issues) they were essentially tied, give or take a fraction of a percent. Of course this also takes into account that Obama pretty much took his foot off the gas in the final few states due to having made it mathematically impossible for hillary to beat him while she kept running in an attempt to make the argument that she was the better candidate at the convention. This also skews her numbers upward somewhat relative to what they would have been in both had TRULY been competing throughout the entire primary.

That being said Obama's team ran rings around hillary's team in 08 and it wasn't close. The caucus state strategy was just the beginning. He was simply the better candidate.

Cheebo

Banned
What's to investigate? They think she is better for unions, plain and simple. Not everyone sees Bernie the way you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom