• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Let's not do this. This is worse than queen.

i3HlumK.jpg

David Frum and other movement conservatives greatly enjoyed Trump's Fourth Reich speech last night.

I do wonder if they realize that being deported from the United States means that you lose your home of 5-20 years and that your life is ruined.

Not that David Frum has ever enjoyed the gift of intelligence.

Boke1879

I will say this month Hillary needs to be more visible. Doesn't have to give press conferences, but at least get out there and peddle your policies while contrasting yourself from Trump.

Well I put somewhere around $100 towards Hillary this month. They really like to send emails and texts to you immediately after donating for some reason.

HylianTom

Banned
I have an acquaintance who used to be a Republican. As soon as Trump became the nominee, he changed registration to independent and now calls Hillary "The Destructor" (playing off of the idea that this election is where America decides to "choose the form of The Destructor").

I was getting worried until yesterday. Yeah, the polls are tight right now but it is abundantly clear that Trump either does not want to win, or is too dumb to realize that speech last night was not the start of the road to the White House for him.

Well I put somewhere around $100 towards Hillary this month. They really like to send emails and texts to you immediately after donating for some reason.

Yeah I felt like I was doing good and then I get 3 emails in like 6 hours on why they are broke and can't compete with Trump.

Emarv

I will say this month Hillary needs to be more visible. Doesn't have to give press conferences, but at least get out there and peddle your policies while contrasting yourself from Trump.

She will be. It's clear her strategy was to get in one more round of fundraising going into the home stretch. I'm sure this month will be nonstop public campaigning leading up to the debate.

Donald Trump paid the IRS a $2,500 penalty this year, an official at Trump's company said, after it was revealed that Trump's charitable foundation had violated tax laws by giving a political contribution to a campaign group connected to Florida's attorney general.

The improper donation, a $25,000 gift from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, was made in 2013. At the time, Attorney General Pam Bondi was considering whether to investigate
fraud allegations against Trump University. She decided not to pursue the case.

In that year's tax filings, The Post reported, the Trump Foundation did not notify the IRS of this political donation. Instead, Trump's foundation listed a donation — also for $25,000 — to a Kansas charity with a name similar to that of Bondi's political group. In fact, Trump's foundation had not given the Kansas group any money.

The prohibited gift was, in effect, replaced with an innocent-sounding but nonexistent donation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...general/?postshare=7181472757279311&tid=ss_tw

But you know, let's investigate more of Hillary!

side note: Our laws are seriously fucked up if the fine is a measly $2500 for this type of thing. How would this dissuade any rich person?

Debirudog

The media better make this a thing considering they made huge nothingburgers of the Clinton Foundation.

there's really nothing wrong...It just looks bad. Well look at Orange Turd making actual fraud.

To tack on, this is going to look like older discussions I've had with other posters, but this argument basically comes from a place of "Surely 40% of the country isn't racist, right?" and I just disagree with that starting assumption. Anyone voting for Trump (and we have data!) is most likely the sort of person who laments the lack of a White History Month and other such nonsense, and believes that the real harm of immigrants is the culture that they bring. These people aren't really scared of crime rates (since crime among illegal immigrants is in fact lower than legal citizens); they're scared that they might hear different languages spoken at the grocery store and that their kids' teachers will have names like Mr. Ramirez instead of Mrs. Jones. It's a cultural invasion to these voters, nothing more.

We mention a lot that Trump threw away the GOP dogwhistles, but he's got his own that he uses. The big one is just simple redirection; he talks about how bad the US has gotten, and he expects people to read this as an economic message. But it isn't, and it's clear from the data that "the US has gotten worse" is really a cultural statement.

My point is not that the vast majority of the people voting for Trump aren't racist, because, well, they are at least a LITTLE racist. My point is that there is a difference between the average "build the wall" schlub and the genuine article white nationalists. The former would not jump easily to the latter without a great many bricks in place, and "alt right" being softened to mean "edgelord Trump supporter", which is what is currently means, is a foundation for those bricks being laid because it wraps garden-variety racial resentment into their very sense of identity. Laying out at the outset that, no, the alt-right is about white supremacy and fascism might not jar them from their racism, but it might at least prevent it from metastasizing into something even more heinous because most people DO hate Nazism, whatever name it goes by.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...general/?postshare=7181472757279311&tid=ss_tw

But you know, let's investigate more of Hillary!

side note: Our laws are seriously fucked up if the fine is a measly $2500 for this type of thing. How would this dissuade any rich person?
The new info is the Trump paying the 10% penalty, yes?

McConney said that Trump had also personally reimbursed the Trump Foundation for $25,000, covering the full value of the improper gift. McConney blamed a series of mistakes, all of them unintentional. McConney said there had been no attempt to deceive.

"It was just an honest mistake," McConney said. He added: "It wasn’t done intentionally to hide a political donation, it was just an error."
Yes, that's such a blatantly deliberate series of moves. Utterly unbelievable that somehow this was innocent.

Also, good god. I already ponied up a subscription to the NYTimes (and crossword) since I was constantly hitting the monthly limit. Washington Post is calling out for it too.

Bowdz

Jake Tapper really going into how Trump wants to eliminate the racial diversity of the United States. I'm proud of CNN.

And yet he's going to talk about tightening polls instead of how Trump has actually committed pay for play. It's disgraceful that they haven't covered the model story yet and it doesn't seems like they'll cover this.

I feel like the cable news media doesn't cover anything unless Trump shouts it through a bullhorn or unless it somehow comes up outside of an investigative journalism piece. I say "I feel" because I don't have any data that this is true.

But maybe Hillary just needs to coordinate an oppo dump so that cable news picks these stories up. I don't think CNN or MSNBC is reading NYT or WaPo to find things pertinent to the candidates to discuss. They wait for Trump or the FBI or whoever to hold a press conference or rally or speech or what have you.

Owzers

Um. Um. Um. Isn't this evidence of actual pay to play?

we already have a corruption story to talk about, and though we have less proof, we don't want to needlessly "both sides" this. Get back to me when we have more emails of Clinton released, each one is precious.

Bowdz

After reading about the Obama infomercial again, Hillary should absolutely do something similar. Even if it was $10 million to do, it'd be worth it. I loved that Obama's didn't mention McCain at all and that is exactly what Clinton needs to do. Wait until late September/early October to drop it on Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC and make it 100% about her story, her character and her policy proposals mixed with regular voters and various struggling Senate candidates. Don't mention Trump's name or the GOP at all and just make it positive.

It could be another convention moment when people actually saw through the caricature and her favorables improves. If they dropped that after a great debate performance, it could be a solid 1-2 punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom