• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaaa0

It's funny how Trump fans think the media is colluding against their guy, when the 24-hour news cycle benefited him more than any other candidate in history

Because Trump fans think he is a genius, and is able to manipulate a "RIGGED!" system into a win despite it being "RIGGED!" against him.

Boke1879

Yeah Crowley spontaneously committed an act of journalism and regretted it the next morning

It's fucked up. Because I'm sure she only did that because she got so much shit for it after that.

I vaguely remember her getting tons of shit after that moment unfortunately.

gcubed

I mean Trump may have killed a man, but Hillary hasn't had a press conference in over 200 days. You may call it false equivalency, I just call it the truth

royalan

I don't understand. Somebody explain it to me.

If journalists as moderators aren't supposed to "get involved" by keeping the candidates square and calling them out when they spout blatant falsehoods in the debates...then wtf is the point of using journalists as moderators?

Just hire Wendy Williams to moderate and be done with it.

If there's one thing the Trump campaign has done, it's shown how utterly unprepared our media and political system are for someone who is willing to blatantly call its bluff and subvert it.

If journalists as moderators aren't supposed to "get involved" by keeping the candidates square and calling them out when they spout blatant falsehoods in the debates...then wtf is the point of using journalists as moderators?

If there's one thing the Trump campaign has done, it's shown how utterly unprepared our media and political system are for someone who is willing to blatantly call its bluff and subvert it.

I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, I agree with you. If there is blatant lying and misinformation going on, I would like the moderator to stop it. But what if the moderate is wrong on their fact check? What if the moderator is biased in who and how they correct. I don't feel like that's their job in the moment of the debate. They can't have all the facts constantly.

I think journalists are picked because they should have a basic grasp of the issues to be able to ask follow up questions that make sense. Like, that's kind of their bread and butter. It's up to the media afterwards to fact check the things. Now, if they do that or not...that's another question.

BanGy.nz

Banned
beyonce-bill-clinton-435.jpg
Bill casually hanging out with Queen Beyoncé on her birthday.

Wolfenstein: The New Order definitely has the most patriotic ending in video games.

Outside of a game where Harriet Tubman shoots Confederates to death while rescuing slaves, I don't know if a more genuine "America, fuck yeah" game can be made any time soon.

Joeytj

Banned
Well this was a boring weekend in the campaign, probably the most boring in the last month, and came after a wild week.

Anyway, predictions for next week? Trump appears to have flopped in both his Latino and African-American outreach, but seems to have shaken off some Hillary support. Or mostly, fake Hillary scandals did that.

Polls are tighter, but probably will go up a bit more for Hillary as she (hopefully) address them this week a bit. Did I read wrong somewhere that she'll be given a press conference tomorrow to her campaign pool?

mo60

So hopefully Hillary campaign restarts from tomorrow... Lot of negative Trump stories that can keep in the news.

Nah. I think they should just take a break on labour day and start on tuesday.Things will probably get interesting in the next week or so.

In other news I'm arguing with a trump supporter on r/politics.

Nah. I think they should just take a break on labour day and start on tuesday.Things will probably get interesting in the next week or so.

In other news I'm arguing with a trump supporter on r/politics.

I unsubscribed to r/politics and hid it in my r/all browsing.

Yay, I have my anecdotal comeback to anyone that says... "Wow, there's so many Trump signs in X state!" Walked around my neighborhood, Edmond, OK near UCO. Zero Trump signs to be found. Just a lonely sign for a state senator.

So hopefully Hillary campaign restarts from tomorrow... Lot of negative Drumpf stories that can keep in the news.
There's tons of stuff going on today. Bernie, Hillary, Kaine, everyone is speaking at various events in OH, IL, PA, NH. No rally until tomorrow though it seems.

Diablos

Yes. Opinions will be set by October 19th.

Like, brah, this is LITERALLY the textbook definition of you-ing. Relax brah. Hillary's team is not stupid. What's going to happen is going to happen. We can't micromanage every aspect of the election cycle. If Trump says something wrong, he may not get fact checked on the spot a la Candy, but it will be talked about.
I'm me-ing because there's no reason for the race to be this close right now. Yes, polls fluctuate but Hillary had an amazing convention and she's now down to being only ~4 points ahead. I don't think anyone anticipated this would have happened a month ago! I didn't.

We can't control the debates but there's something a bit upsetting about Chris Wallace hosting the last one given what he said; something about Fox getting its hand on the debates last while a former Fox guy is aiding Trump in debate strategy is a bit disturbing to me. If Hillary were going up against someone else that's one thing, but this is Trump and if he knows Wallace is less likely to call him out on his various forms of bullshit he's going to exploit the hell out of that. That's bad, it's the last debate during a year where both candidates are not too popular and it may take longer to make a final impression on voters.

welcome to the "both sides" panel format of the 24h news cycle

the media sucks
Yes, but Trump is a huge threat to this country. This is unprecedented and this is not the year to engage in these desperate reporting shenanigans for the sake of ratings. The networks won't go anywhere no matter who wins, do the right thing.

thebloo

“I think if anything, the media has treated him too well,” Wallace told TheWrap. “By that I mean they’ve allowed him to play by different rules. … All the other Sunday shows have allowed Trump to call in and do phone interviews. I’m the only Sunday show host that [will only talk] in person. I think that Sunday shows hold themselves to a higher standard.”

http://www.thewrap.com/fox-news-chris-wallace-on-trump-the-media-has-treated-him-too-well/

I do not believe it is my job to be a truth squad. It’s up to the other person to catch them on that. I certainly am going to try to maintain some reasonable semblance of equal time. If one of them is filibustering, I’m going to try to break in respectfully and give the other person a chance to talk. But I want it to be about them — I want it to be as much of a debate, people often talk that it’s simultaneous news conferences.

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/fo...on-of-fact-checking-trump-during-the-debates/

He's ok. It's really not his job to fact check. How would he even do that?

Trump campaign says it doesn't need PA to win. AHAHAHA.
Guess he doesn't need Arizona or Ohio, either.

Presidential debates are supposed to a debate between the candidates, not the moderator. It's never been about fact-checking what both candidates say, but seeing them side-by-side.

If the moderator had to fact-check every sentence and confront the candidate, it would be a debate between the candidates and the moderator.

Fact-checkers will rip him apart after the debates.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Presidential debates are supposed to a debate between the candidates, not the moderator. It's never been about fact-checking what both candidates say, but seeing them side-by-side.

If the moderator had to fact-check every sentence and confront the candidate, it would be a debate between the candidates and the moderator.

It would be kind of interesting if they had a review system like in tennis or cricket, with each candidate having two reviews where they could call in the independent fact-checkers (successful reviews not reducing the total available). I can imagine the Test Match Special commentary team analysing one of Trump's statements for veracity - it would be perfect.

Diablos

Trump campaign says it doesn't need PA to win. AHAHAHA.
Guess he doesn't need Arizona or Ohio, either.
He doesn't need PA. Bush didn't need it either. Looks like they're getting off the fools gold that is PA. They would be wiser to focus on other swing states.Not that I want them to start making more sense of course...

Liz Goodwin ‏@lizcgoodwin 27m27 minutes ago
Hillary Clinton is letting the media fly with her today to Ohio and Iowa on this new 737

CrlgnFEWIAA_X5l.jpg:large

Damn....

It would be kind of interesting if they had a review system like in tennis or cricket, with each candidate having two reviews where they could call in the independent fact-checkers (successful reviews not reducing the total available). I can imagine the Test Match Special commentary team analysing one of Trump's statements for veracity - it would be perfect.
It would, but again the relevant statements will be analyzed for days, so if Trump goes full BS he will be called out on it. I don't think most viewers are interesting in extensive fact-checking, they'll just rationalize ("misspoke, he's new to politics, etc"). Debates aren't going to change anything significantly.

I think Wallace gets it right, unless they start namecalling or wasting time let them at it.

He doesn't need PA. Bush didn't need it either. Looks like they're getting off the fools gold that is PA. They would be wiser to focus on other swing states.Not that I want them to start making more sense of course...

Unless he wins Michigan and Wisconsin, there's no path.

The media has hardly called out Trump for saying he opposed the Iraq war, that his taxes are under audit without proof, that he donates to charity. To think they will be all up upon him after the debates is crazy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have faith that Anderson Cooper will fact-check candidates where appropriate.

As for the media, LOLGOP on Twitter is saying exactly what I was the other day about how the non-conservative media has been accused of being unfair so much that people believe it, and so they ignore things to try and seem fair.

Tamanon

Banned
I love that picture, if only for Obama's "tired of your shit" look.

This guy talking for Trump on CNN said that he would use "tax credits" to pay for the wall? Er.....what?

royalan

Well, I suppose that makes sense. lol

It'll be interesting to see how Hillary has prepared for this. Romney may have been full of shit, but he mainly stuck to a strategy of, well, artful repackaging of the truth.

Trump, on the other hand, will not only be dealing in nothing BUT blatant lies, judging by who's leading his debate prep, that's likely going to be his strategy. Come out swinging with a barrage of lies, and hope Hillary falls into the trap of trying to fact check everything you say. She goes off message, and you control the flow of the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom