• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relying on the opinion of celebrities outside their area of expertise has always struck me as ridiculous, but even given that, my interest in Larry the Cable Guy's opinion on politics falls somewhere between that of Paris Hilton's and Jake's from State Farm. It's hard to think of anyone less qualified to weigh in on politics than a "fake redneck persona" comedian. Can we get Carrot Top to offer a rebuttal?

I got lost on my way to the Labor Day parade the NH Dems had invited me to in Milford today... it seemed like kind of an odd place to have a parade, anyways, I mean Milford, really? Who goes there? Anyways, I saw more Trump signs than Hillary signs while driving around, but more than either of them, I saw lots of signs for state legislature candidates that I had never heard of... I think people are going to try to focus on the down-ballot races harder this year.

Ted Cruz would have won the primaries if he wasn't such a shitbag distasteful candidate for the north. Srsly.

Throwing New York under the bus in the primaries was the dumbest thing a candidate has done this entire campaign season and yes, I know.

Like, sure don't waste resources in a state you can't win but you don't actually shit on the state, you moron! You're running for President of the entire country!

Boke1879

Wolf is so desperate to make a crisis narrative for the Clinton campaign it's sickening.

Wolf: "What can be done for Hillary to get the vote of young blacks?"
Van Jones:: "Let's not discount the 91-98% of African Americans already voting for Hillary."
Wolf: *blank stare*

I miss Brianna.
'

Can I post this in the OT thread?

Relying on the opinion of celebrities outside their area of expertise has always struck me as ridiculous, but even given that, my interest in Larry the Cable Guy's opinion on politics falls somewhere between that of Paris Hilton's and Jake's from State Farm. It's hard to think of anyone less qualified to weigh in on politics than a "fake redneck persona" comedian. Can we get Carrot Top to offer a rebuttal?
Carrot Top talks 2016 presidential politics, and Donald Trump
"He does create conversation. I mean, he really gets people talking, I think he's great for politics."

Wolf is so desperate to make a crisis narrative for the Clinton campaign it's sickening.

Wolf: "What can be done for Hillary to get the vote of young blacks?"
Van Jones:: "Let's not discount the 91-98% of African Americans already voting for Hillary."
Wolf: *blank stare*

I miss Brianna.

Also, Clinton is already getting like... over 60% of young black voters, too. This is from the NY Times article that was trying to push a Clinton's losing blacks narrative! What the hell!

I thought Ted Cruz manhandled Trump on multiple occasions during the final debates, and I'd expect Hillary to do the same. The difference will be audiences. It's clear the republican primary crowd did not care about conservatism, principles, or just about anything else: they were solely concerned with who was going to punish brown people the most, who was the "strongest," and who appealed to their most core white resentments. That's not how general elections view things. All of the things that made Trump win the primary debates will hurt him in a general debate. The arrogance, the blatant ignorance, the inability to answer any questions in detail, the anger, etc.

If I was Trump's camp I'd attend the first debate and be prepared to skip the second one, which is a town hall. While there's a chance Hillary could be tripped up by a basic question at a town hall, there's a far higher chance that Trump will simply look terrible at one. His craving to be a showman and the smartest guy in the room will backfire and I wouldn't be stunned if he insults a voter who asks a question lol.

NeoXChaos

I thought Ted Cruz manhandled Trump on multiple occasions during the final debates, and I'd expect Hillary to do the same. The difference will be audiences. It's clear the republican primary crowd did not care about conservatism, principles, or just about anything else: they were solely concerned with who was going to punish brown people the most, who was the "strongest," and who appealed to their most core white resentments. That's not how general elections view things. All of the things that made Trump win the primary debates will hurt him in a general debate. The arrogance, the blatant ignorance, the inability to answer any questions in detail, the anger, etc.

If I was Trump's camp I'd attend the first debate and be prepared to skip the second one, which is a town hall. While there's a chance Hillary could be tripped up by a basic question at a town hall, there's a far higher chance that Trump will simply look terrible at one. His craving to be a showman and the smartest guy in the room will backfire and I wouldn't be stunned if he insults a voter who asks a question lol.

I take it 1st debate will likely beat Kennedy Vs Nixon?

The 3rd debate is going to be Trump's worse performance. Trump is gong to bomb the 3rd debate. He knows nothing about FP going up against the wizard of FP. It's not a fair fight at all.

Have any of you all been polled this year? I've gotten Survey Monkey and Google, but that's it. No calls, but I'm in OK. I don't think I'll ever get one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I take it 1st debate will likely beat Kennedy Vs Nixon?

The 3rd debate is going to be Trump's worse performance. Trump is gong to bomb the 3rd debate. He knows nothing about FP going up against the wizard of FP. It's not a fair fight at all.

The moderator for the 3rd debate said it's not up to him to keep the candidates honest, so he'll definitely show for that one since only Hillary will ever call him out on anything there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got lost on my way to the Labor Day parade the NH Dems had invited me to in Milford today... it seemed like kind of an odd place to have a parade, anyways, I mean Milford, really? Who goes there? Anyways, I saw more Trump signs than Hillary signs while driving around, but more than either of them, I saw lots of signs for state legislature candidates that I had never heard of... I think people are going to try to focus on the down-ballot races harder this year.

NH political races are always fascinating. It's a state where nearly anything can happen.

Piecake

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned President Barack Obama not to question him about extrajudicial killings, or “son of a bitch, I will swear at you” when they meet in Laos during a regional summit.

Duterte said Monday before flying to Laos that he is a leader of a sovereign country and is answerable only to the Filipino people.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/philippine-leader-issues-foul-mouthed-warning-to-obama-227730

What a psycho

Probably should post Obama's answer (a diplomatic fuck you):

The comment came after a reporter asked him how he’ll explain the extrajudicial killings in the Philippines, where more than 2,000 suspected drug sellers and users have been killed since Duterte launched a war on drugs after taking office on June 30.

"Clearly he's a colorful guy," Obama said when asked about his remarks at a press conference in China to end the G-20 summit.

Obama said he had heard about the comment and told his aides to determine whether it would still be productive to hold a face-to-face meeting.

"I always want to make sure if I'm having a meeting, it's productive," he added.

"We will always assert the need to have due process," while fighting the issues of crime and drug trafficking, the president continued.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ine-president-warns-obama-i-will-swear-at-you

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get this young, black voters not liking Hillary narrative. She's winning like 90+% of AA voters. It seems like such an obviously forced narrative.

Thank god for Van pushing back on it hard.

ITT: people do not understand polls. If a poll's headline says 90% of blacks tend to vote Clinton, 4% Trump, 6% other (random example), what it means is 90% of black people who intend to vote. Suppose that black turnout drops by 5%, in equal portions from Clinton and Trump. Now, even though Clinton has 90% of the black vote, that's a few million less votes than it would have been otherwise.

What's more is that we have no way of knowing whether this is happening. It is very difficult to estimate turnout rates accurately and most pollsters just assume each demographic will turnout at the same rate it did last time - which is why Obama usually beat the polls in his 2008 run, because black voters saw unprecedented turnout. If enthusiasm for Clinton among black voters is lower than it was for Obama, then polling is probably overestimating her position slightly - probably not by enough to change the state of the race, thankfully, but still something that the Democrats will be worried about, especially with respect to the races downstream.

Alcander

^ I understand how polling works, thanks. I still think if she is winning 90%+ of registered or likely AA voters then it's a manufactured controversy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
^ I understand how polling works, thanks. I still think if she is winning 90%+ of registered or likely AA voters then it's a manufactured controversy.

Why would the Democrats (it was a Democratic research group that found this result) manufacture this controversy?

ITT: people do not understand polls. If a poll's headline says 90% of blacks tend to vote Clinton, 4% Trump, 6% other (random example), what it means is 90% of black people who intend to vote. Suppose that black turnout drops by 5%, in equal portions from Clinton and Trump. Now, even though Clinton has 90% of the black vote, that's a few million less votes than it would have been otherwise.

What's more is that we have no way of knowing whether this is happening. It is very difficult to estimate turnout rates accurately and most pollsters just assume each demographic will turnout at the same rate it did last time - which is why Obama usually beat the polls in his 2008 run, because black voters saw unprecedented turnout. If enthusiasm for Clinton among black voters is lower than it was for Obama, then polling is probably overestimating her position slightly - probably not by enough to change the state of the race, thankfully, but still something that the Democrats will be worried about, especially with respect to the races downstream.

Didn't that South Carolina poll show that it's currently white people who are less enthusiastic about voting while black people and Latinos are more excited to vote because of how much they hate Trump?

dramatis

The problem is not one for this election, but one for elections 8+ years down the line.

Thing is, all those young voters usually become more sensible about politics as they get older. So while there's probably reason to discuss this issue today, it's not nearly as big of a problem as people are trying to make it out to be.

The evidence for that is in Sanders's loss. It's pretty evident to me that the youth make a huge ruckus on social media about how important they are, but when push comes to shove they definitely aren't turning out lol Yet they continue to inflate their self importance, it's quite embarrassing for other millennials.

Liking this Detroit Free Pass article on Bill's comments in Detroit today. Also interesting answer to the email question, linking it to the Republicans who've endorsed her to show how nothing the whole thing really is:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/05/bill-clinton-detroit-labor-day/89885312/
But the bulk of his 20-minute remarks before UAW members were about Hillary Clinton.

“It’s fashionable to say, like President Obama said, that she’s the best qualified person to be president. That ought to be the threshold,” he said. “But you should vote for her because it will mean more jobs, higher incomes, a more inclusive society, a society where it’s easier to vote not harder. A place where we are stronger together. I want you to get out there and make that argument.”

As for the ongoing controversy over Hillary Clinton’s e-mails, which were sent and received on a private server, Bill Clinton said, “I think it’s interesting that when all those Republicans who have endorsed Hillary, you just remember when somebody talks about the e–mails, the overwhelming majority have endorsed her because they trust her with the national security. They know what’s important and what’s not.”

The visit from Bill Clinton comes two days after Trump ventured into an African-American church in a bid to gain the votes of black Detroiters. His brief remarks at Great Faith Ministries International Church in Detroit included nods to the black community with references to past discrimination and how proud he was to be the nominee of the Republican Party that counted Abraham Lincoln as one of its members.

Bill Clinton, however, told reporters that his family has a proven record that can’t be ignored, including her efforts in Flint to address the public health crisis over lead contaminated water. She set up a campaign office in Flint and asked her supporters to donate to the Community Foundation of Greater Flint.

“If we have to do something else to counter it, (Trump’s visit to Detroit) then you assume the entire African American community is suffering from amnesia after what Hillary did for Flint. The work I did for Detroit to try and help Shinola and helping the mayor develop a mortgage program so people could move in,” he said. “And remember, Hillary’s first job out of law school required her to go to South Carolina to get African-American children out of adult prisons and to go to Alabama to stop segregated academies from getting illegal tax exemptions. We’ve got a life time of record and a lot of specific commitments that show that if she wins, she’ll be all in for jobs in Michigan.”

The annual Labor Day festivities are geared toward honoring the accomplishments of working men and women and have long been a mainstay of Democratic politicians. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, U.S. Sens. Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters and most of the state’s Democratic members of Congress marched with Clinton. And there were few signs of any organized protest against Clinton.

Tim Zamecki, a Detroit resident and member of the Michigan Council of Carpenters local 687, got a chance to talk briefly with Clinton, telling him, “The best years I had as a carpenter was when he was in office and that I hope those times were coming back and he said they are.”

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't that South Carolina poll show that it's currently white people who are less enthusiastic about voting while black people and Latinos are more excited to vote because of how much they hate Trump?

No idea, haven't seen that one. I'd be interested to see the methodology; it's incredibly difficult to predict turnout rates accurately.

royalan

I actually agree with this, and was arguing it in another thread. Do not conflate voter preference with turnout rates. That blacks as a demographic are going to be overwhelmingly democratic is a given. Focus on keeping the overall turnout high, which is the real risk, and I do think the key to that is the young black vote. Black youth aren't really Bernie or Bust so much as they're generally apathetic about this election. And a lot of high school/college students I talk to here in Philly are really hit hard with that "both sides are awful" thinking. That last bit is merely based on my own experience, in case I need to clarify.

A lot of the "Clinton's don't deserve the black vote" shit from the primaries really hit home with young black people. And Trump is smartly leaning into that, not in an attempt to win black support (because that won't happen), but to keep those voters from turning out.

Hopefully, the Obama's will address this head-on when they start stumping. Particularly Michelle.

thebloo

In Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, 70 percent of African-Americans under 35 said they were backing Mrs. Clinton, 8 percent indicated support for Mr. Trump and 18 percent said they were backing another candidate or did not know whom they would support. In 2012, Mr. Obama won 92 percent of black voters under 45 nationally, according to exit polling.

So, this is the guts of the article? You can't really infer anything from these numbers. They're comparing polls from 4 states to exits nationwide. She's not winning young AA like Obama? No shit.

And it compares under-35 with under-45? Those are different numbers.

I was going to respond to the post you responded to by saying that we should have minorities as excited to block Trump as they were to help Obama.

But if that part about it being a comparison between two different voter age thresholds is true, then I'm definitely not worried yet.

On real clear politics 4 way average Clinton is only up 3%, and she's only up 4% on the head to head. Seems like things are tightening. Should we be worried? I guess it all depends on how the debates go now. Shell probably do good and get a sizable boost back to around 7%, but I've seen crazier things this election cycle.

Have any of you all been polled this year? I've gotten Survey Monkey and Google, but that's it. No calls, but I'm in OK. I don't think I'll ever get one.
Here in NH we get called like every other night. Sometimes multiple times a night. One thing I've started doing is holding pollsters to their word when they say "this will only take 3 minutes" and then timing them and hanging up once the timer hits 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom