• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a shit anymore about being tactful: Fuck Donald Trump. Anyone who votes for him is, in fact, validating and supporting racism and white nationalism. No more Mrs. Nice Guy.

BF and I had to go up to the 5yr olds school. He's friends with this girl who lives up the street from me. She is Hispanic. I told you all the other day that there was a kid who was picking on him on the bus? Ya...well, the little shit started doing it today. Kept telling his friend (who, again isa 5 year odl little girl) that she was going to have to go back to Mexico and she'd never see her mom and dad again. Well, obviously both kids had a meltdown.

This is not fucking okay!

Yeah, that's pretty shitty. Will the parents be notified?

EDIT: This also goes back to what a lot of people have been noticing during the election and what I believe Hillary brought up in her speech; Trump being where he is is making it "okay" to voice these opinions. I'm hoping that beating him in November will serve as a reality check for at least a few of them.

BF and I had to go up to the 5yr olds school. He's friends with this girl who lives up the street from me. She is Hispanic. I told you all the other day that there was a kid who was picking on him on the bus? Ya...well, the little shit started doing it today. Kept telling his friend (who, again isa 5 year odl little girl) that she was going to have to go back to Mexico and she'd never see her mom and dad again. Well, obviously both kids had a meltdown.

This is a very real thing and is happening across the country. Schools normally use elections to talk to kids about politics and our democracy but can't because Trump drives bullying and breakdowns, and it's not because people are misinterpreting his positions-he's just that awful.

I like how "white working class!" now does not include college educated white women for pundits (since those white people are voting against Trump in droves)

Even though college educated white women make a similar amount of money as white men with only a HS degree.

Yeah, that's pretty shitty. Will the parents be notified?

Teacher is requiring a conference with them. Considering this is like the third time since school's started he's been shitting on other kids. He's also a year older than the rest of them. I don't know if he failed or what happened there.

Iolo

Doesn't work if you hit plus plus plus then use New Reply at the bottom

Broke like Rubio

Hit plus plus and then quote on the final post, instead of new reply. IIRC this even works across pages.

Edit: it works to hit new reply at the end too. Well, I don't know why it's not working on your device then.

Tarkus

It does work on MobilGAF, as long as you don't leave the page.

Did anybody ever figure out why your quoted posts aren't green anymore? Is it only on MobileGAF?

I don't give a shit anymore about being tactful: Fuck Donald Trump. Anyone who votes for him is, in fact, validating and supporting racism and white nationalism. No more Mrs. Nice Guy.

Broke like Rubio
You have to tap plus by all the people you want to include, and then tap the quotations on the last person. i just did it.

Rubio was #winning last I checked (a week ago).

This is a very real thing and is happening across the country. Schools normally use elections to talk to kids about politics and our democracy but can't because Trump drives bullying and breakdowns, and it's not because people are misinterpreting his positions-he's just that awful.

The 7 year old's teacher has done a mock election every 4 years for like 40 years. She's doing it this year....but they're using fake candidate names. They're running elephants vs donkeys. (Although the donkey party candidate is a woman( She made it 100% clear that it's because of Donald Trump.

Debirudog

I thought i had it hard in my childhood but this is just sickening, cruel and downright disturbing. This bully needs to be suspended from school quite frankly.

Fuck Trump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, that LePage rant was real? I scrolled past it thinking it was an Onion article or a GAFer trying to show what "alt-right" meant.

kess

Its nice to know that the real reason the right has blocked hate speach classifications for years was to provide edgy societal satire.

Wait, that LePage rant was real? I scrolled past it thinking it was an Onion article or a GAFer trying to show what "alt-right" meant.

This is the governor whose response to his people doing heroin was "black people, they're coming here and selling heroin and then raping our white women until they're pregnant."

Geg

The 7 year old's teacher has done a mock election every 4 years for like 40 years. She's doing it this year....but they're using fake candidate names. They're running elephants vs donkeys. (Although the donkey party candidate is a woman( She made it 100% clear that it's because of Donald Trump.

Yeah I remember doing those in school for the 1996 & 2000 elections. I remember being really confused when they did the results for 1996 and there was like one vote for Ross Perot, I was like "who?"

I really wonder what they'll be doing for this election

Slayven

OMG a historian just had a look of object horror on his face when listening to a trump supporter trying to explain Trump's policies. on cnn

Yeah I remember doing those in school for the 1996 & 2000 elections. I remember being really confused when they did the results for 1996 and there was like one vote for Ross Perot, I was like "who?"

I really wonder what they'll be doing for this election

Aging myself:

I remember doing this for Regan vs Dukakis

OMG a historian just had a look of object horror on his face when listening to a trump supporter trying to explain Trump's policies. on cnn

Haha I saw that. It was when the guy tried to say Trump's positions were consistent

Edit: My high school Obama vs McCain debate went so bad when the personext playing Obama made him sound like Dee from its always sunnys impersonation

https://youtu.be/lpVCG2ZpZtQ

At least they understand that being racist is not great. Progress?

Not really, tbh. We've very thoroughly established that being a racist is bad. I remember reading about some white nationalist type who wanted to kill Obama who carefully explained to the guy who eventually turned him in that he wasn't racist, he had black friends, etc. The problem is that we've been super lax in defining what it is to be a racist, and possibly over demonized the term, to the point where people in a lot of circles react more poorly to seeing someone called a racist than they do to that person saying racist things. It's viewed as being so harsh that it effectively stops all discussion.

The other day my 5 year old niece came to my brother crying. She said that she didn't want Donald Trump to be president because if he wins she "can't be best friends with Shanice anymore".

When he asked her why that was she said "Uhh... racism?"

Kids have to deal with this shit and it's heartbreaking.

Darkstar, you can use the plus button to quote multiple people.

If you're on mobile, well then carry on, because it doesn't work on mobile gaf
It does.. But..

Broke like Rubio
Bingo.

This thread is making me want to go home and get a nooner.
Do you mean like a nooner nooner or what Al Bundy thinks a nooner is?

i loved this show growing up :) every morning before school, watch it before getting on the bus

Mael

Being called a racist is worse than being a racist to these people. He is racist but can't stand being called one.

It's basically Khrouchtchev being visibly angry at being called a communist because it's a dirty word or something.
Next step for them is the word being removed from the dictionnary...

Not really, tbh. We've very thoroughly established that being a racist is bad. I remember reading about some white nationalist type who wanted to kill Obama who carefully explained to the guy who eventually turned him in that he wasn't racist, he had black friends, etc. The problem is that we've been super lax in defining what it is to be a racist, and possibly over demonized the term, to the point where people in a lot of circles react more poorly to seeing someone called a racist than they do to that person saying racist things. It's viewed as being so harsh that it effectively stops all discussion.

I'd say it's progress over idiots feeling empowered by the term and saying that they're better than others because they're racists.
I mean these people call themselves race realists now, they got their word stolen and are widely recognized as shitheads.

pigeon

Banned

This is the alt-right narrative, frankly. I don't think we've been either super lax or overly harsh (those seem kind of contradictory). I think that some people are always going to react more poorly to somebody being called racist than they do to racist things because they travel in a circle that normalizes racism. That doesn't seem surprising at all! But it also doesn't make it SJW's fault that that happens. Racism is making that happen.

I'd say it's progress over idiots feeling empowered by the term and saying that they're better than others because they're racists.
I mean these people call themselves race realists now, they got their word stolen and are widely recognized as shitheads.

Except those idiots are exactly as racist as they were before; all that's changed is that it's harder to have a frank discussion about it (and, admittedly, they have less power, but that's kinda unrelated)

This is the alt-right narrative, frankly. I don't think we've been either super lax or overly harsh (those seem kind of contradictory). I think that some people are always going to react more poorly to somebody being called racist than they do to racist things because they travel in a circle that normalizes racism. That doesn't seem surprising at all! But it also doesn't make it SJW's fault that that happens. Racism is making that happen.

Super lax refers to hammering home what it means to be racist, super harsh means the social penalties to being known as a racist. The word has all the power, the idea has very little. It's tough to encourage self-reflection when at the end of it is probably the realization that they're the worst word they can imagine being identified as.

Mael

Except those idiots are exactly as racist as they were before; all that's changed is that it's harder to have a frank discussion about it (and, admittedly, they have less power, but that's kinda unrelated)

I think they're not as racist as they were.
These guys are dead, their replacement is not much better though, although they're far less smart.
That's the good thing, you peel off the less extreme and in the end there's only the incoherent garbage that make people laugh at how absurd it is.
Kinda like how in Sanders campaign there was plenty of reasonable people but he kept losing and losing people, starting with the most reasonable.
So he was left with hardcore idiots in the end.
I think something similar is happening, too bad we had to sacrifice the GOP for that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
My Yes-Trump-Is-That-Bad story, from back in April or so.

See, I usually have the news on in the bg while I make dinner for the kids before mom gets home. I have two kids, and one of them -- my 5 year old boy -- understands the world through a prism of his own media consumption. See: TMNT, Disney Movies, Mario and other DS games.

To be fair my wife and I do as much as we can to keep the real world at bay while not hiding that tragedies do occur and that there are indeed bad people out there. They understand death, kinda. My 5 year old has been through 4 simulated 'live shooter' lockdowns now, where 20+ little kids all hide behind the teacher's desk. But otherwise I turn off 'bad news' when they're in the room -- nothing on terrorism, mass shootings, never watching local evening news, etc.

I say all that to lay out this moment I'll never forget. We're at the dinner table, MSNBC still blasting while I'm serving everyone, when I finally had to turn it off before sitting down. That's when my 5 year old spoke up and said, 'dad, is Donald Trump a villain?'

pigeon

Banned

I am deeply unconvinced that it was ever easier to have a frank discussion about racism. I am pretty sure that before people were terrified of being called racist they were proud to be racist.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I am deeply unconvinced that it was ever easier to have a frank discussion about racism. I am pretty sure that before people were terrified of being called racist they were proud to be racist.

I don't think most people realized Trump's Kuriel remarks -- that a person couldn't do a job based on his race -- was the textbook definition of racism.

In the political blogosphere, attacks against disabled reporters are considered especially heinous. In Seattle, Washington, the dedicated redditers who investigate these stupendous gaffes are members of an elite squad known as Correct the Record. These are their retweets.

At least they understand that being racist is not great. Progress?

Being called a racist is worse than being a racist to these people. He is racist but can't stand being called one.

Yeah, the problem is that they think racist is the worst thing you can be called. Since we have a long history of terrible slurs, some of which are so terrible as to require self-censorship in decent company (even talking academically), it's kind of bullshit that people still beat the "How dare you call me racist?" drum.

Pigeon's right, these people are the reason for their current situation, not SJWs calling them what they are. If they had any empathy, they could engage in a little self-reflection, but they don't. It's no one's fault but their own.

fantomena

We had a big discussion in school today about american politics.

The conclusion was: Both Hillary and Trump are shitty candidates, but Trump is the shittiest one.

Did not expect anything less since I guess the Norwegian youth would probably be seen as the spawn of Stalin by both Repubs and Dems.

In the political blogosphere, attacks against disabled reporters are considered especially heinous. In Seattle, Washington, the dedicated redditers who investigate these stupendous gaffes are members of an elite squad known as Correct the Record. These are their retweets.
Is Mariska Hargitay going to arrest people on Reddit or even GAF

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Adam, your school bus story is the kind of story that would make national news.

This is absolutely right. You should call up for local papers and tell them that this stuff is going on, and about what the teacher said. This is absolutely a national story, because I'd put money on this happening in other states too.

I don't think most people realized Trump's Kuriel remarks -- that a person couldn't do a job based on his race -- was the textbook definition of racism.

Ryan literally called it the textbook definition of racism.

itschris

MBAMo5j.png

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/769163763677298688

http://tucson.com/news/local/columnists/steller/article_65d7fb0e-54d0-5823-83dc-3f37f735bfed.html

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is absolutely right. You should call up for local papers and tell them that this stuff is going on, and about what the teacher said. This is absolutely a national story, because I'd put money on this happening in other states too.

Ryan literally called it the textbook definition of racism.

(i know, hence the importance of him saying it)

I think they're not as racist as they were.
These guys are dead, their replacement is not much better though, although they're far less smart.
That's the good thing, you peel off the less extreme and in the end there's only the incoherent garbage that make people laugh at how absurd it is.
Kinda like how in Sanders campaign there was plenty of reasonable people but he kept losing and losing people, starting with the most reasonable.
So he was left with hardcore idiots in the end.
I think something similar is happening, too bad we had to sacrifice the GOP for that.

Except now they have their own personal presidential candidate. The terminology changed, but the attitudes remained.

(Plus I'm not sure they were ever actually all that smart, they were just more free in their use of power).

Regardless of my phrasing, the fact remains: by and large, calling someone a racist makes the discussion about your accusation rather than about their, you know, racism. How is that a useful state of affairs?

Was it a one room schoolhouse? ;)

Do you mean Bush vs Dukakis or Reagan vs Mondale?

Bush v Dukakis was my first. Bush seemed like a nice (dorky) grandpa, so I was for him.

Bush Dukakis ... it was a long long time ago. We did have a sandbox though.

It does.. But..

Bingo.

Do you mean like a nooner nooner or what Al Bundy thinks a nooner is?

i loved this show growing up :) every morning before school, watch it before getting on the bus

Whynotboth.jpg

More like Spit Out Milk

Holy shit, post of the ELECTION

Mael

Yeah, the problem is that they think racist is the worst thing you can be called. Since we have a long history of terrible slurs, some of which are so terrible as to require self-censorship in decent company (even talking academically), it's kind of bullshit that people still beat the "How dare you call me racist?" drum.

Pigeon's right, these people are the reason for their current situation, not SJWs calling them what they are. If they had any empathy, they could engage in a little self-reflection, but they don't. It's no one's fault but their own.

I'll not add anything to what you said, you are absolutely right.

Except now they have their own personal presidential candidate. The terminology changed, but the attitudes remained.

(Plus I'm not sure they were ever actually all that smart, they were just more free in their use of power).

Well look at it this way, they could have gone with someone not as apparently stupid as Trump and they could have won and put their racist agenda to work.
Now? Not so much.
Also I'm going to broaden the scope here a little, they were absolutely smarter before.
I mean if you look at the state of the racist right in Europe for example, they had people like Céline and other you could legitimately call intellectuals without bursting into a laugher so much someone had to call an ambulance to save your life.
In the US, I believe it's probably the same, there's only intellectual midgets that are part of these groups. They can barely string a sentence together without going into an incoherent rant that makes Bleach's plot look like Jane Austen's magnum opus.

Regardless of my phrasing, the fact remains: by and large, calling someone a racist makes the discussion about your accusation rather than about their, you know, racism. How is that a useful state of affairs?

I don't know if you had that discussion in the 80's, it never was a discussion about their racism.
Instead it was a discussion about why racism is not something to celebrate.
baby steps.

you can say something is racist without calling people racist

Except now that you've used the dreaded r-word, it becomes about whether or not it's an accusation, and whether or not they're being accused.

I'm not saying don't call people racist, I'm just pointing out that the word itself has probably been demonized to the point that it's ceased to be effective, which is a shame but I'm not sure anything can actually be done about it at this point.

Well look at it this way, they could have gone with someone not as apparently stupid as Trump and they could have won and put their racist agenda to work.
Now? Not so much.
Also I'm going to broaden the scope here a little, they were absolutely smarter before.
I mean if you look at the state of the racist right in Europe for example, they had people like Céline and other you could legitimately call intellectuals without bursting into a laugher so much someone had to call an ambulance to save your life.
In the US, I believe it's probably the same, there's only intellectual midgets that are part of these groups. They can barely string a sentence together without going into an incoherent rant that makes Bleach's plot look like Jane Austen's magnum opus.

I don't know if you had that discussion in the 80's, it never was a discussion about their racism.
Instead it was a discussion about why racism is not something to celebrate.
baby steps.

They were better educated and a hell of a lot more articulate, but there's more to intelligence than that, imo.

Wasn't alive in the 80s, lol. Again, things are better, but not as good as they could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom