• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Regardless of my phrasing, the fact remains: by and large, calling someone a racist makes the discussion about your accusation rather than about their, you know, racism. How is that a useful state of affairs?

This seems like a weird question. Utility depends on your goals. When I call somebody a racist it's generally not to change their mind. I am unconvinced that there was ever a way to do that. As we've discussed before, it's to create social pressure.

That alt-right speech really did hit a nerve and has the worms crawling out of their holes. I just spotted a truck driving around with a giant American flag on one side and the white German imperial flag on the other. This is SoCal too. Wish I was able to take a pick of the asshole.

Mael

They were better educated and a hell of a lot more articulate, but there's more to intelligence than that, imo.

You have no idea how much better it is to not have to deal with really intelligent people on the evil side of things.
We've come a long way already.

Wasn't alive in the 80s, lol. Again, things are better, but not as good as they could be.

No argument, it's better but not yet where it should be.

Can least let go of yet hasn't tweeted about it for the past three years? lmao

He tweeted about it in 2014 as well, he tweeted about it every year before he started running for president and no one has brought it up to him directly in his presidential campaign.

I mean, one of his last political things he did before running for president was write an Op-Ed about how the Central Park Five "Were no angels."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/21/donald-trump-central-park-5_n_5517784.html

This seems like a weird question. Utility depends on your goals. When I call somebody a racist it's generally not to change their mind. I am unconvinced that there was ever a way to do that. As we've discussed before, it's to create social pressure.

See, I think there is. If you can frame the discussion properly, and remove/reduce the social penalty from them admitting they're wrong, people can (and do) change.

And applying social pressure worked for a while, but now that we're looking at what seems to be a tiny-handed orange pressure cooker explosion I'm not sure it's working out.

Good post. I use this phrase a lot (and perhaps it's too flippant), but you aren't going to be hugging any racists and turning them into reformed liberals. It just doesn't really happen; that is, it does occur occasionally (Byrd, famously) but that's like saying it's a good investment of your resources to buy lottery tickets because winning occurs occasionally.

It's better that we get to a point where racists live and die with their beliefs held secretly, and over time, with their ability to easily pass on such beliefs, you phase it out to lower levels. Converting racists is claptrap that people from Portland think is possible because they hold the belief that racists are just ignorant. Definitely not true; plenty of racists have met decent minorities that they would even call friends. They still believe those people to be subhuman, and their pleasantries are as heartwarming as a person petting a dog. They don't get points for being nice to your face if they still don't view you as equal.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Funny: That Bannon's assault charges will take him down from a national campaign for the US Presidency before I dunno, being a 9/11 truther.

:p

I basically was just trying to keep my bf from beating the shit out of the bully and trying to stop the 5yo from crying. Shit is heartbreaking, yo.

Listen I am not above PUNCHING A CHILD IN THE FACE.

Whynotboth.jpg
That's a fair point.. Why not even both at the same time hmm ;)

:p

I basically was just trying to keep my bf from beating the shit out of the bully and trying to stop the 5yo from crying. Shit is heartbreaking, yo.
Future footage of the incident in question?

200w.gif

Listen I am not above PUNCHING A CHILD IN THE FACE.

There's a greater than 0 chance my bf would have done that if I hadn't been there. lol I calmed my b f down with beer, and gave the kid ice cream and video games. This is how you parent, right?

Trump is now tweeting Clinton Cash graphics and stuff. lol

Teggy

Hahahahaha, Steve King just said he doesn't know any real racists. The same guy who was saying white people are responsible for most of the world's advancements.

Debirudog

it seems like it just gets worse and worse every time Trump gets a new campaign worker. Things seem to go swell a little bit but it all falls apart quick.

Thanks Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom