• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannity, Limbaugh, Brietbart and other fascist sympathizers have been secretly praising Putin since past couple of years (especially since Ukraine invasion). This is because Putin has "thumbed his nose at Obama", which in their mind registers Putin as a good guy. There was talk on Fox News and a facebook meme about how macho shirtless Putin is versus a goofy Obama riding a bicycle in mom jeans. Overall this secret admiration of Putin has permeated into the rank and file.

pigeon

Banned
It could also depress Democrats who want to vote for the president (and by extension downballot), if they think it's a done deal.

This is an argument for doing nothing ever. Everything could conceivably affect both parties.

Why do you think that having Trump LITERALLY NOT ON THE BALLOT would be worse for Democrats than Republicans?

Emarv

I said god damn.

sub-buzz-3366-1473350189-1.png

You done good, Barry. You done good.

This is an argument for doing nothing ever. Everything could conceivably affect both parties.

Why do you think that having Trump LITERALLY NOT ON THE BALLOT would be worse for Democrats than Republicans?
Because it inflames Republicans all over the country in a way that has no obvious gain for Democrats who are going to win MN anyway.

Modern Republicans admire a large country that is willing to push its weight around with weaker neighbors to just take what they want. Putin's increased popularity with Republicans comes from the same mentality that makes the idea of stealing natural resources from Iraq popular with the Trump supporter cesspool.

Well, it makes it easier for ticket splitters for one. 2nd, the republicans will see the corrupt establishment denying their hero his name on the ballot. Protests, hue and outcry can affect the turnout.

There's no 8 ball to say what will exactly happen, but at least with Trump on ballot we have certainty which according to every metric has Democrats winning MN.

pigeon

Banned
Well, it makes it easier for ticket splitters for one. 2nd, the republicans will see the corrupt establishment denying their hero his name on the ballot. Protests, hue and outcry can affect the turnout.

There's no 8 ball to say what will exactly happen, but at least with Trump on ballot we have certainty which according to every metric has Democrats winning MN.

This is Diablosing of a wholly new order. Your genuine argument here is that we should do nothing of any consequence in MN because any choices will have downside risks.

we should allow the MN GOP to violate Minnesota state law on the off chance that this depresses GOP turnout more than literally not having the presidential candidate on the ballot

Trump should be on the ballot in Minnesota because voters deserve an actual choice. Also because I don't want to hear about FRAUD!!!! for the next 15 years if Hillary wins by 273 EVs.

sazzy

Voters can still write in Trump even if he's not on the ballot, right? So its not really disenfranchising is it?

This is Diablosing of a wholly new order. Your genuine argument here is that we should do nothing of any consequence in MN because any choices will have downside risks.
Yes! I call it pragmatism! Who wants downballot risks? You? I like things to remain certain. Trump forgot to sign his papers on time becuse he's running a clown show. Everyone knows that. Punishing him for it will have a streisand effect and just you wait. Trump is going to make a big deal out of this. Bunker mentality is helluva thing.

tuffy

All the insignificant third party candidates managed to get their requirements in order to get on the MN ballot correctly, so the state GOP has only themselves to blame if the court rules against them because of some last-minute paperwork shenanigans.

But in reality, I don't expect the case to go anywhere because courts have traditionally given parties a lot of leeway on their internal business like nominations.

So, ya. Those Latino numbers for Trump are game over in Florida and, I'd argue, Nevada. Romney managed 40% of the Latino vote in Florida, and he still lost. Trump is hella underperforming among Cuban voters. That, or he's in the negative numbers with everyone else. And in NV, Romney managed 24% of the vote. There is no way Trump can pull of wins in either state with those numbers. There just aren't enough white people in the pan handle to make up for that type of loss in Miami-Dade, Orange, and Seminole.

List of SoS during the North Korea nuclear tests:

9 October 2006 - Rice
25 May 2009 - Clinton
12 February 2013 - Kerry
6 January 2016 - Kerry
9 September 2016 - Kerry

But, if you squint and don't really care about the way language and logic works, this is the 4th nuclear test that has been done since she became Secretary of State.

Diablos

Quinnipiac

Florida
Rubio (R) 50
Murphy (D) 43

Pennsylvania
Toomey (R) 46
McGinty (D) 45

Ohio
Portman (R) 51
Strickland (D) 40

North Carolina

Senate

Burr (R) 49
Ross (D) 43

Governor

Cooper (D) 51
McCrory (R) 44

Blagh. Only good numbers there are for Cooper. Even Toomey leads. Best hope they're outliers, especially PA.
God dammit.

I can't see Toomey getting re-elected. But if he does, all I've gotta say is: Should've been Sestak.

Last month was so bad for us after the convention hype faded

If Republicans gobbled Kim Jung Uns cock as much as Putin's, he'd had a high favorabity rating, also.
Let's be clear that the Kims are a Communist dynasty and Putin is not a Communist. Fascism is attractive to many Republicans so Putin is a valid vessel for their wet dreams of voter suppression, international invasions, and a state run press. If Rush Limbaugh could launch a putsch and burn down the White House so that he could personally lynch Barrack Obama, he would.

Republicans are not fetishizing and orally fellating Vladimir Putin daily because they have no principles or are mindlessly trying to defend everything Trump says, even if it doesn't make sense compared to what party platform was even last year. There really is, and has always been since the mid-90s, a hoorah chest thumping flag waving book burning militant faction of the Republican party that wants nothing more than to take their party back, throw Mexicans and liberals into a deep, dark hole (or gulag, as it has been called before) so that they can Make America White Again and invade Iraq to take their oil just because we can. This is the part of the party that has idolized a WWII America not because it stood up to fascism and saved Democracy but because it kicked everyone's asses and was capable of incinerating 45,000 japs in a day. This is the part of the party that will suspend the constitution to waterboard kidnapped Arabs, not because it works but because they fucking deserve it. This is the part of the party that measures their dicks by the size of our missiles and thinks in terms of international slights or "respect", whatever that means.

Do not mistake what your enemy truly is, because without such an understanding we fall prey to ignoring their presence for years to come.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, ya. Those Latino numbers for Trump are game over in Florida and, I'd argue, Nevada. Romney managed 40% of the Latino vote in Florida, and he still lost. Trump is hella underperforming among Cuban voters. That, or he's in the negative numbers with everyone else. And in NV, Romney managed 24% of the vote. There is no way Trump can pull of wins in either state with those numbers. There just aren't enough white people in the pan handle to make up for that type of loss in Miami-Dade, Orange, and Seminole.

All that matters now is getting people to the polls to vote.

Is Keepin' it 1600 a solid podcast? Thinking of adding it to the rotation and recall seeing it mentioned a few times on here. How does it compare to WooCast and NPR Politics and the like?

The trick with Keepin' It 1600 is they're not journalists. They're former Democrat campaign staffers and they don't really hide their biases. What you get from Keepin' It 1600 occasionally is a real inside baseball look at campaigning, delivered through the current presidential race.

My predictions, as of September 9th the year of our lord 2016. No hopes, no pussyfooting:

Pres:

Clinton (D): Obama 2012 States + NC + NE-02

Governor:

Indiana: Gregg (D)
Missouri: Koster (D)
Montana: Bullock (D)
New Hampshire: Democrat
North Carolina: Cooper (D)
North Dakota: Burgman (R)
Oregon: Brown (D)
Utah: Herbert (R)
Vermont: Minter (D)
Washington: Inslee (D)
West Virginia: Justice (D)

This is much better for Dems than I anticipated. Would give the GOP 29 governors mansions, Dems 20, and 1 Independent (Alaska).

Senate:

Nevada: Masto (D)
Colorado: Bennet (D)
Illinois: Duckworth (D)
Florida: Rubio (R)
Pennsylvania: McGinty (D)
Wisconsin: Feingold (D)
Missouri: Blunt (R)
North Carolina: Burr (R) (this one hurts to type, but I ultimately think Ross will just miss it)
Indiana: Bayh (D)
Ohio: Portman (R)
Arizona: McCain (R)
New Hampshire: Hassan (D)

Would give Dems as 51-49 Senate majority

sazzy

Michael Morell, ex CIA director, said this in a NYTimes op-ed some weeks ago:

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia was a career intelligence officer, trained to identify vulnerabilities in an individual and to exploit them. That is exactly what he did early in the primaries. Mr. Putin played upon Mr. Trump’s vulnerabilities by complimenting him. He responded just as Mr. Putin had calculated.

Its likely that Trump's attitude towards Putin is entirely based on this one compliment (which we now know wasn't even an actual compliment). Why? Maybe because its the only supposed compliment he's gotten from a foreign leader, and that feeds his ego.

Why would Putin bother befriending Trump in order to manipulate him? Putin can manipulate Trump WITHOUT even befriending him.

How big do you guys think the turnout will be this November? Can it rival Obama's numbers?

It possibly can, but under certain conditions very good GOTV from the Democrats, better favorbility for Hillary, and popular Democrats like Bernie and Obama stumping for Hillary heavily and succeeding in getting some demographics out to vote for Hillary. Some have a realistic of happening.

I really don't like the 2 matt lauer emails i've gotten from clinton.

I don't like mirroring the right's attack the media stuff. I don't want dems retreating to echo chambers already more than they have.

Ieave that to surrogates don't have hillary do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom