• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Like, tin foil hat time.

I don't think this was an accident. I don't think this was a slip. This was at a fundraiser, right? She rarely lets the press into her fundraisers. There was press there, correct? That's how this got out. Maybe this was on purpose.

Just like her comment on Nancy Reagan being a leader on AIDS was on purpose.

No, I don't think it was an error to point out the racists among Trump's supporters. The error was putting a number on it.

GutsOfThor

Like, tin foil hat time.

I don't think this was an accident. I don't think this was a slip. This was at a fundraiser, right? She rarely lets the press into her fundraisers. There was press there, correct? That's how this got out. Maybe this was on purpose.

Hmmmm. What could she stand to gain from this though if it was indeed on purpose?

Bowdz

I just hope this can spark the much needed attacks down ballot that should have been made ages ago by the top of the ticket. Hillary and Obama need to lead the Dems in tearing up the middle ground some incumbent Republicans have managed to carve by constantly driving home the message "Trump is a racist, sexist, lunatic, if you support him, you are too". They need to make this case specifically and frequently in speeches and stop just alluding to it like Clinton did in the alt right speech. Make every single person endorsing and supporting Trump answer for all of his bullshit statements.

The road to the Senate and House doesn't run through playing unifier and barely squeaking out a 3 point win. It runs through putting the final emphasis on the case Clinton's been making all season (Trump is too crazy to be President) by linking every gutless Republican that still supports him to his stances and calling them out for being the enablers they are.

Debirudog

Hmmmm. What could she stand to gain from this though if it was indeed on purpose?

Well, some people say Hillary's too reserved or too "polished". Being more frank is something people find appealing in a politician. Everyone likes IDGAF Obama.

I swear, none of us would freak out if Biden said the exact same thing.

No, I don't think it was an error to point out the racists among Trump's supporters. The error was putting a number on it.
Well, no, that was just stupid. This is a phrase she's actually used another time. But, again, I just think it's odd that there were cameras inside her fundraiser. She doesn't allow that usually.
The birtherism thing is back in the news. It's a good way to make Trump prove he's not racist. Get him to backtrack on the birtherism stuff to prove her wrong. If he does go back on it, he takes ownership of having said it to begin with. But, Trump won't go back on it, because he can't change course on anything. So, maybe she's trying to bluff the fuck out of him. Political chicken, if you will.

Crayons

Banned
Trumps supporters are either racists, or care more about their taxes than electing a racist president. In which case, they're also a racist.

starmud

Haven't we already baked into public opinion that trump has open racists/bigots supporting him? I mean the David duke mess didn't come from no where, or the Star of David gaffe.. And the list goes on and on.

Unless your deep in trump land I don't see how her comments effect anyone... It's probably the main issue giving HRC a win with educated whites. Even the Orange County moms around here dumped trump long ago over not wanting to be seen as racist...

Trump keeps saying "88 generals are supporting us!" and some people on Twitter are starting to wonder if Bannon put in the exact number into his stump speech as a dogwhistle to Nazis.

88 means "Heil Hilter."

% of Americans who say Obama is a Muslim: 35%
% of Democrats: 16%
% of Republicans: 43%
% of Trump supporters: 65%
(ANES 2016)

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/728753252565651456

So it's somewhere between 43% and 65%, smh, Hillary is so inaccurate with 50%.

royalan

I just hope this can spark the much needed attacks down ballot that should have been made ages ago by the top of the ticket. Hillary and Obama need to lead the Dems in tearing up the middle ground some incumbent Republicans have managed to carve by constantly driving home the message "Trump is a racist, sexist, lunatic, if you support him, you are too". They need to make this case specifically and frequently in speeches and stop just alluding to it like Clinton did in the alt right speech. Make every single person endorsing and supporting Trump answer for all of his bullshit statements.

The road to the Senate and House doesn't run through playing unifier and barely squeaking out a 3 point win. It runs through putting the final emphasis on the case Clinton's been making all season (Trump is too crazy to be President) by linking every gutless Republican that still supports him to his stances and calling them out for being the enablers they are.

I really sense that this is how a lot of people are taking it.

We can argue optics until the cows come home, but I think a lot of people are happy that SOMEBODY as prominent as Clinton said this.

studyguy

I hope she stays this path. This is literally a straight shot down the line to call out moderate conservative voters. They know shits fucked, they get no quarter to turn to and hide. You side with a basket of racism or you don't.

There has been too much of this normalized notion that Trump racism isn't all that bad and people are way too comfortable with it.

I hope she stays this path. This is literally a straight shot down the line to call out moderate conservative voters. They know shits fucked, they get no quarter to turn to and hide. You side with a basket of racism or you don't.

And if they question it, you show them the damn receipts.

Debirudog

There has been too much of this normalized notion that Trump racism isn't all that bad and people are way too comfortable with it.

Syncytia

This is exactly it. No one would dispute there are many prominent racists that are supporting Trump and his David Duke moment didn't help him. He has a history of saying racist things.

People will latch onto the number and try to bury what actually matters here. Trump surrogates will come out saying the 65% that believe Obama is a Muslim doesn't mean that they are racist. "Yeah, maybe some are but you cant tell from that question if they're actually racist." Everyone can see right through that answer but the battle is practically lost. The misdirection already occurred.

Emarv

I'm fine with the comment, but she needs to have the perfect 30 second sound bite about it when Lester Holt asks a question about it during the debate. They need to be workshopping it nonstop.

This is just an elaboration on her comment to the black lives matter folks a few months back. "You don't change minds you change policy"

This comes from the same place.

Dierce

I'm fine with the comment, but she needs to have the perfect 30 second sound bite about it when Lester Holt asks a question about it during the debate. They need to be workshopping it nonstop.
I think they already do. I don't believe they will back down from this and they absolutely shouldn't because it might be a calculated oportunity to bring back all the racist, sexist and homophobic garbage orange turd and his supporters have said. She will only have to make it clear, albeit diplomatically we know what the republicans represent, that she is referring to a group of people that have hijacked the republican party and don't represent American values. It could effectively keep turd from making any gains with college educated whites who don't want to see this group gain more power.

We are so fucked if he wins.
The polls are pretty close to tied right now. In fact, he was leading in a couple, last I checked. If that third party and undecided vote just stays home on election day, and if turnout for blacks and latinos is as low as it always is, he could probably be president.

I posted in the other thread that I've removed the tinfoil hat and I believe 100% this was on purpose.

There's a super good way to play this too that drives a wedge even deeper into the GOP.

Hillary has said a lot of times that Trump does not represent the GOP. She said it in her alt-right speech. She said it again today. This reinforces that entire argument that she's been making. She can come out and say "You're right. I don't believe that half of the Republican Party is all the things I said Trump's supporters are. Because Trump no longer represents the Republican party. He's now the pro-Russian, pro-Putin, pro-alt-right party. Those people have taken over half of the Republican party.

And, this is 100% consistent with not only what she's been saying, but with what republicans have been saying too.

The polls are pretty close to tied right now. In fact, he was leading in a couple, last I checked. If that third party and undecided vote just stays home on election day, and if turnout for blacks and latinos is as low as it always is, he could probably be president.

W9tolZB.gif

Dierce

ugggggh I feel like I should just die

this world is broken beyond repair
Hope you are doing ok. Are you concerned about what we've been talking about or is it something else? In usually very pessimistic but I have a good feeling about the comment Clinton made. It is one of those high risk high reward situations I wanted to see. Now if she backs down then we should definitely be concerned...

Watch him say like half of them are ((slang word for lesbians that starts with "d")) or something

Conway: "He meant like for a dam!"

Not just that.

But, for the next few days (if the media bites and they will because reasons) every Hillary surrogate can go on teevee and say "She was referring to David Duke..." "She was referring to Breitbart..." "She was referring to XYZ" and get those names back out there again.

shem935

Banned
ugggggh I feel like I should just die

this world is broken beyond repair
Feels that way yeah. I feel that way a lot of the time but for more personal reasons not helped by the election. Take comfort in the struggle, that there is a struggle at all, and in those willing to push back.

Brinbe

I'm glad she made those comments. That's been the fucking problem so far is that no one has taken a stand against these idiots and I'm glad she did.

They can play the victim all they want, which is what they'll do, but fuck'em. It also helps out the idiots, as they'll probably be the ones feeling offended by this hahaha.

Following the twitter conversation on #basketofdeplorables has been equally as amusing because they're proving her completely right.

Slizeezyc

Seems like a fine thing to say. "BOTH SIDES!" was already a thing for some reason, so getting this narrative back out there is just going to play into the same stuff so at least get some talking points out there for the left. It's not like this is going to make people like Clinton less, she called out Trump supporters not "all" Americans.

This math research problem is so obscure that I've had to code everything by hand without being able to copy and paste from Stackexchange at all :mad:

Usually you can do some copying and pasting in your program!

Cybit's going to hate this.

We have to focus on changing people's minds instead.

Note: There are no scientifically proven ways of changing people's minds through dialog as of now and only one (door to door canvassing where the bigot talks themselves into being less bigoted) that is promising looking.

East Lake

We have to focus on changing people's minds instead.

Note: There are no scientifically proven ways of changing people's minds through dialog as of now and only one (door to door canvassing where the bigot talks themselves into being less bigoted) that is promising looking.
Are you well versed in the science of mind change?

sazzy

This is what Trump was supposed to say:

And of course, Hillary Clinton failed with her Russian Reset. She gave up missile defense in Poland and the Czech Republic in exchange for nothing in return. Then, she gave up 20% of U.S. uranium to Russia –while those who benefited from the deal gave money to the Clintons.

This is what he said:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-remarks-in-pensacola

Neither, of course, have anything to do with reality, but at least the script is grammatically coherent.

Are you well versed in the science of mind change?

I read a lot of articles on it since it's the overwhelming focus at my volunteer organization.

We've tried to be a left-center organization that changes minds and we have a fuck ton of volunteers and social scientists and... we've failed to change almost anyone's minds on climate change and our prior approaches (largely reframing attempts) were tested to be completely ineffective. We're moving onto the only promising technique in the field (door to door canvassing where you spend 85% of time listening and try to get the person to convince himself that you're right), but it was just one study so we'll see if it actually works moving forward.

(I'm at Citizens Climate Lobby, we try to change people's minds regarding climate change).

"We should focus on changing people's minds!" when the psychological evidence for which method of arguing works is so thin... I don't know if it's a legitimate line of argument as of now. With more research into which argumentative techniques do work and some proven results... then I'll okay with the statement.

East Lake

I read a lot of articles on it since it's the overwhelming focus at my volunteer organization.

We've tried to be a left-center organization that changes minds and we have a fuck ton of volunteers and social scientists and... we've failed to change almost anyone's minds on climate change and our prior approaches (largely reframing attempts) were tested to be completely ineffective. We're moving onto the only promising technique in the field (door to door canvassing where you spend 85% of time listening and try to get the person to convince himself that you're right), but it was just one study so we'll see if it actually works moving forward.

(I'm at Citizens Climate Lobby, we try to change people's minds regarding climate change).
Lmao. Have your social scientists considered coopting conservative language? Something like when you show up at their door you tell them they need solar panels to prevent the arabs from controlling our energy.

Lmao. Have your social scientists considered coopting conservative language? Something like when you show up at their door you tell them they need solar panels to prevent the arabs from controlling our energy.

We have done lots of things somewhat similar to this without evoking explicit racism, yes. We have talking points from Reagan's Secretary of State about how climate change causes military risks (by possibly causing civil war due to resources becoming endangered by droughts or floods) to appeal to Neocons and... it hasn't worked well at all.

We're very well connected with Republican politicians at this point and they like us because we're nice people at least! We have always get meetings with them and... these meetings don't change anything policy wise, but at least we get meetings.

Mia Love has pretty pleasant and moderate people working with her in particular in Utah. Orrin Hatch not so much.

Saw two consecutive facebook posts about Gary Johnson and I realized that if the libertarian party is smart at all they really should go after disaffected conservative-leaning young people to build up their base. Find the people that aren't liberal but also aren't (explicitly) racist that don't have any loyalty to the Republican party. How lol-worthy would it be that the GOP is not only losing a generation to the democrats but to the libertarians as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom