• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopfrog

Eh. You can Diablos over the politics and "optics" of the comment, but I am glad she said it. It is a pretty accurate assessment as far as I can tell.

Sick and tired of worrying about coddling racists and bigots by not calling them out for what they are while at the same time, on the Trump side, you have:

- Retweeting white nationalists
- Anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiments openly expressed
- Conspiracy theories ranging from asserting Clinton is a criminal to asserting that she has had multiple people killed
- Trump surrogates calling for Clinton's literal execution

And this is just a sampling.

Trump's campaign efforts recently have been aimed at the people who don't think they're racist. The outreach to the African-American churches and Latinos, for instance, as a way of saying "I like black people... See, I've spoken at a congregation of them, and they haven't taken offense."

Trump is down with white college-educated men and women who are afraid of his racism, so Clinton is targeting that same group by saying you don't have to lump yourself in with a bunch of racists to be heard.

Exactly. This is Clinton saying "Those of you that are just desperate to be heard, aligning yourself with these people is not the way to accomplish that."

Only thing that should have been in there is something like "There's a reason that so many of the more moderate conservatives refuse to support Trump and some who even support me now, people like [insert moderates here]. And I can admit to this, it has nothing to do with whether or not they like me."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I swear to god the next time I see someone seriously post and use the word "optics" they're getting a ban until I forget about that WORD OMG

BigAl1992

Out of curiousity, and this is a serious question because it was the middle of the night where I live when Clinton made that comment, has there been ANY criticisms of it from the Republican side among the higher ups?

sazzy

Clinton had BETTER go all in on this basket of deplorables comment, because if she backtracks, or apologizes for it, she will lose.

Present the facts. Show videos and pictures and polls of Trump supporters and let everyone see what the facts are.

I guess I don't see how this is comparable to the 47% comment. Romney was bashing poor people and minorities, two groups he needed to do well (or better) with to win. Hillary is bashing racists and alt right people. Who is going to read her comment that was going to vote for her and decide not to? It just seems totally like people wanting to diablos (AGAIN).

People that are hypersensitive about being lumped in as a racist. We know in general, societal settings, the mere accusation of racism is met with extreme pushback. People also like narrowing broad statements down to easily digestible nuggets, so her comments play as "half Trump Supporters are racist".

It is an incredibly risky strategy to take.

I checked out the basket hashtag. I really, really hate the alt right's tactic of making a fake account and saying "I'm a minority supporting insert cause here, am I awful too!?" To sort of muddy the water and make it seem like they're not white supremacists or women haters. Granted the tweet I saw could have belonged to a real person but this bullshit is such a common tactic at this point.

Those posts made up half the GamerGate traffic.

Anyway, I'm really glad she said this, because even if there are arguments or attacks to make based on it, any coverage discussing racism hurts Trump. And it totally takes the spotlight off the email nonsense.

People who do not want to be considered racists should not be voting for Trump!

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug. There are prolly millions that are voting for him that have ignored all the racist fuckery he has spewed and say to themselves, "I don't agree with all that shit, I just want to make sure Hillary doesn't get elected, blahblahblah."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug. There are prolly millions that are voting for him that have ignored all the racist fuckery he has spewed and say to themselves, "I don't agree with all that shit, I just want to make sure Hillary doesn't get elected, blahblahblah."

To me, "I don't like the obvious sexist racist pig but I can't stand Hillary!" means they were never going to vote for her really.

Not diablosing, but it was a little sad to see 270towin turning Michigan and Maine's second district grey

why? Because of more Ipsos polls?

People that are hypersensitive about being lumped in as a racist. We know in general, societal settings, the mere accusation of racism is met with extreme pushback. People also like narrowing broad statements down to easily digestible nuggets, so her comments play as "half Trump Supporters are racist".

remember to stay indignant over this the campaign will have to continually show how not-racist they and their rallies are and hahahahahaahaha

Zukkoyaki

I think a lot of folks are taking the 50-state polls too seriously. Seems silly considering they're producing results like Clinton winning Texas, Missouri and Kansas, and Trump winning New Mexico, Colorado and Wisconsin.

This week Clinton’s campaign is shifting into a get-out-the-vote mode while she also maintains her sideline pursuit of poachable Republicans. Her team will continue touting prominent GOP endorsements: Former California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman even introduced Clinton at multiple closed-door August fundraisers in California. There, the candidate explained her approach to Republicans interested in Trump, according to one Bay Area attendee. Clinton divides Trump voters into two baskets, she said: the everyday Republicans — her targets — and what she called “the deplorables” — the "alt-right" crowd she excoriates and has no hope of wooing.

Clinton will substantially ramp up her campaign travel schedule in September, focusing on national security issues this week. Her team will also step up its surrogate activity, planning at least one major appearance from Clinton, Kaine, former President Bill Clinton — who will reappear on the trail after some time focused on fundraising — President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders every day.

That starts Monday, with Sanders in New Hampshire, Biden in Pennsylvania, and Bill Clinton in Michigan and Ohio.

But all that is simply a way to count down to the moment that might seal their presidential fate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-september-debate-227714

From last Sunday.

This was deliberate, let's see how they manage this.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 13m13 minutes ago
Wow, Hillary Clinton was SO INSULTING to my supporters, millions of amazing, hard working people. I think it will cost her at the Polls!
SO INSULTING

Boke1879

Man I'm glad I don't care about every little "optic" issue.

She called a spade a fucking spade. A line needs to be drawn in the sand and dems needs to stop acting like a majority of Trump supporters aren't people who feel the President is a secret Muslim, not born here or don't "want to take their country back."

I don't know if it helps or hurts her and frankly I don't care. This shit needs to be said.

Zukkoyaki

From what I've seen on Twitter, Trump supporters' self-defense isn't too far off from this:

9212907.jpg

Dierce

Isn't it pretty incredible. These assholes like orange turd and his fanatics that exclaim that the PC culture is undermining America are having their feelings hurt by a comment that might not be considered politically correct. So I guess they want to say racist garbage and discriminate people based on sexual orientation, race, religion, gender and physical disabilities but if you call them out on it they get so offended. Bunch of idiots and cowards.

thefro

Trump's going to say crap like "Hillary Clinton thinks you're deplorable" for the next two months no matter what Clinton does, so she might as well own the shit out of it and triple/quadruple down.

Bowdz

Trump's going to say crap like "Hillary Clinton thinks you're deplorable" for the next two months no matter what Clinton does, so she might as well own the shit out of it and triple/quadruple down.

Yep.

Backtracking is the worst option. Either use it to further split the GOP or use it to rule up the Obama coalition.

HylianTom

Banned
I like the reaction so far, as it's largely playing out in Hillary's favor.

The same crowd who decries PC talk is now whining that they've been stung by a plain, honest statement. They doth protest a bit much.

And when they protest against the veracity of Clinton's statement, we're seeing receipts being produced en masse. This is dredging-up a cavalcade of racist/sexist/anti-Semitic remarks by Trump's supporters over the course of this campaign - many of them from high-profile people.

A bright line is being drawn in the sand. How people react to it is very revealing.

And she gets bonus points for being "real" (yes, I put sarcasti-quotes on that term).

Trump says 100 racist things and espouses racist policies. Media keeps giving him benefit of the doubt.

Hillary calls Trump's racist supporters racist. Media uproar.

Media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom