• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the reaction so far, as it's largely playing out in Hillary's favor.

The same crowd who decries PC talk is now whining that they've been stung by a plain, honest statement. They doth protest a bit much.

And when they protest against the veracity of Clinton's statement, we're seeing receipts being produced en masse. This is dredging-up a cavalcade of racist/sexist/anti-Semitic remarks by Trump's supporters over the course of this campaign - many of them from high-profile people.

A bright line is being drawn in the sand. How people react to it is very revealing.

And she gets bonus points for being "real" (yes, I put sarcasti-quotes on that term).

Yeah, I mean how many people this upsets were ever going to vote for Clinton anyways? If we're putting away the dog whistles, lets put away the dog whistles.

Crisco

Banned
Honestly I think it was a smart play by Clinton. It'll get the media talking more about how much of a racist Trump and much of his campaign/surrogates/supporters are. It'd be one thing if it wasn't true, but it is. All they can really say about it is "Yup, she's right.".

Zukkoyaki

Thing is, at least as far as I've seen, she doesn't seem to be getting dragged for this comment. It has people talking for sure, but the response seems more positive to negative. Anyone offended seems to have already been in the Trump camp.

Edit: Isn't she doing a press conference today?

Effect

I reserve the right to name my band "Basket of Deplorables"

It does indeed sound like an interesting band name.

Okay been out for most of the morning and only able to catch a little of AM Joy. How has MSNBC and CNN largely been covering things this morning? Actually having an honest and straight forward talk about it, bringing up all the polling about Trump supporters, etc? Or acting shocked, attacking Hillary, etc?

Iolo

As I said last night, I think the error was not in the baskets comment itself, but putting a number on it. Should have said some or a contingent of his supporters, which is more easily defensible. She's made this comment before, but I think she adlibbed the "half" this time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't believe she said that. So dumb. How deep in a liberal bubble do you have to be to think that's something you want to say about people you're about to lead in just a few months? Unbelievable.

I can't defend that crap. She should take a page from Michelle instead: when they go low, you go high. Insulting people does absolutely nothing. It accomplishes nothing. It doesn't move the ball forward. It doesn't change people. This is bad.

I can't believe she said that. So dumb. How deep in a liberal bubble do you have to be to think that's something you want to say about people you're about to lead in just a few months? Unbelievable.

I can't defend that crap. She should take a page from Michelle instead: when they go low, you go high. Insulting people does absolutely nothing. It accomplishes nothing. It doesn't move the ball forward. It doesn't change people. This is bad.

Tag removal request

thebloo

As I said last night, I think the error was not in the baskets comment itself, but putting a number on it. Should have said some or a contingent of his supporters, which is more easily defensible. She's made this comment before, but I think she adlibbed the "half" this time.

But this was getting almost no play without the "half". So, it's defensible, but nobody actually was attacking it. Now, it's a discussion.

What's insulting about the comment?

Diablos alt accounts are the worst.

But this was getting almost no play without the "half". So, it's defensible, but nobody actually was attacking it.

Now, it's a discussion.

It should be a discussion. These people aren't going to go away after the election is over. Pretending like these people don't exist won't make it any easier to govern.

And let me just say how deep in the liberal bubble do you have to be to think that no matter what she said those people were ever going to work/want to work with her.

also should not have said half

Boke1879

Y'all worry about optics entirely too much. That shit needed to be said because it's truth. Fuck offending or hurting anyone's feelings.

Emarv

Spot on

Nick Spencer
@nickspencer
Only in America do we see the rise of white nationalism and agonize over whether or not we're being too rude to it.

Boke1879

Yeah tone policing and worrying about shit head's fragility gets on my nerves

I wish it would happen more

Trump launched his campaign by saying vile shit, he won the primaries by saying vile shit. He continues to say and surround himself with vile people. She called a large segment of his supporters for what they are.

Again I don't care if it helps or hurts her. I'd rather it help her, but this shit needed to be said.

Y'all worry about optics entirely too much. That shit needed to be said because it's truth. Fuck offending or hurting anyone's feelings.

As long it's a planned strategy and doesn't put them on the defensive, I think it makes sense.

She's didn't lose a single Hispanic or AA vote from this.

Did she lose a vote from white suburban voter who doesn't like Trump? Did she ever have a chance winning that vote?

shem935

Banned
If we wanted this election to be a referendum on the racism in the GOP then this is where you need to take the conversation. Whether or not it works is entirely up in the air but I would rather it be out there then not.

Boke1879

As long it's a planned strategy and doesn't put them on the defensive, I think it makes sense.

She's didn't lose a single Hispanic or AA vote from this.

Did she lose a vote from white suburban voter who doesn't like Trump? Did she ever have a chance winning that vote?

I mean of course it was intentional. She had cameras there and this isn't the first time she's said this. She needs to stick by this.

HylianTom

Banned
In one paragraph, she has kept this race as a referendum on Trump. How he got to be the nominee, who put him there, who supports him now.. We're now forced to litigate this very publicly, and I don't see how it ends well for Trump. Even putting aside his high-profile supporters, he himself has blared not dogwhistles but bullhorns. I see racists on Twitter in a tizzy over this, and it's only serving to prove her point.

NeoXChaos

7.Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
Trump hasn't been able to crack 40 but he will if his behavior is normalized or excused. That's what's at stake with the basket thing.

6.Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
And my jaw is on the floor from a day of supposedly intelligent pundits claiming the problem is we gotta be nicer to these people.

5. Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
Donald Trump is such a grave threat to humanity that if you support him for any reason, you're a lousy-ass person.

4. Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
It's kind of hilarious the way these things are hedged- "I'm not a racist because I didn't do the lynching I only supplied the rope."

3.Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
The nicer half are worse bc they know better and they know how dangerous he is, but they just can't help themselves bc he's a republican

2.Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
The nicer half are enabling and empowering a racist monster who adores Putin and is promising a cocktail of torture, war, and intolerance.

1.Nick Spencer ‏@nickspencer 4h4 hours ago
I love this idea that you can't call out the ugliest half of Trump supporters because you alienate the 'nicer' half. Fuck the nicer half.

I mean of course it was intentional. She had cameras there and this isn't the first time she's said this. She needs to stick by this.

Yeah what I meant was this is something the campaign worked on and will continue to work on as a strategy and not something Hillary just says.

They clearly want to win over moderate Republicans.

shem935

Banned
In one paragraph, she has kept this race as a referendum on Trump. How he got to be the nominee, who put him there, who supports him now.. We're now forced to litigate this very publicly, and I don't see how it ends well for Trump. Even putting aside his high-profile supporters, he himself has blared not dogwhistles but bullhorns. I see racists on Twitter in a tizzy over this, and it's only serving to prove her point.

Like we all know it's true. The moderates, the hardliners, the media, but we were all content to sit on it to keep a broken relationship going just to not hurt feelings. It needs to come to a head at some point and there is no better focal point than donald.

Oddly enough I'm not diablosing over this comment at all, 95%+ of the people who this comment will piss off would rather vote for a rotting (white male) corpse than Hillary. This really hits home to those on the fence, who you would be associated with if you voted Trump.

Boke1879

If this was actual campaign strategy it's even more deplorable.

Why? Calling a spade a spade? There is a large segment of Trump supporters who are racist bigots. You see it all the rallies. They should be called out. Fuck their feelings.

Or I guess them being ok with her assassination or straight up calling her a bitch should be ignored and normalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom