• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

I think this might have been a setup by the Clinton campaign in order for her to be asked a question about it during the debates. She can then bring up all the racist, xenophobia and misogynistic garbage orange turd has said and pin it on him. This will undoubtedly rile him up.

studyguy

That shot seems to have hit the mark.

All I see now are people ironically hittting Clinton over not being PC to the ugly underbelly that 'tells it like it is' and wringing those hands or going with it full tilt with her message.

The nut job Trumpers shouldn't get a pass though and moderates can't be left to just hold their noses to the worst of it. If she has to remind them daily that they are about to vote for a bigot then so be it.

Also this lady had like actual 3 pressers this past week and no one seemed to notice or care despite griping a bunch before.

Revolver

isn't it hilarious how one of trump's most ardent surrogates is named Boris?

A Russia-born investment banker that denies Putin annexed Crimea and was a panel moderator at a conference in NYC called “Invest in Moscow” which largely consisted of officials from Russia and appeared in a video in which he offered the Russian government tips on how it could win over more American money. Seems to fit right in.

sazzy

I think Trump still doesn't believe Obama wasn't born in the US, and Rudy made a BIG mistake speaking for Trump in saying that he did.

Wallace did a great job in forcing him to blurt it out.

Now Trump has to either confirm Rudy's claim or reject it.

I think Trump still doesn't believe Obama wasn't born in the US, and Rudy made a BIG mistake speaking for Trump in saying that he did.

Wallace did a great job in forcing him to blurt it out.

Now Trump has to either confirm Rudy's claim or reject it.

Not the first surrogate to say that. Another one on Fox News said Trump doesn't believe that anymore.

tuffy

Pixieking

Banned
"Deplorables" is now on the top of the Washington Post website (next to an article about Miss Missouri, the first openly gay Miss America contestant).

Did Hillary Clinton just make her own ’47 percent’ gaffe?

Another key difference is that Clinton's comments fit into a narrative she has already been pushing. She had called Trump supporters racists and sexists and homophobes before; she just hadn't put a number on it.

Who will Hillary Clinton’s ‘basket of deplorables’ comment actually alienate?
Trump's tweet said she insulted his supporters, but Clinton clearly delineated between two groups of supporters, and she offered words of understanding to the latter.

Both are fairly even-handed pieces that don't actually think she's done herself much (if any) harm. Worth reading.

Dierce

She should be ok but if she backs down from this comment or says something along the lines of 'I did not speak eloquently' then it should be concerning because not only would it invalidate her accurate assessment but empower orange turd and his supporters even further. The flip side of this, and what I consider the high reward, is the media actually doing investigative journalism and showing just how deplorable and prejudiced orange turd supporters are.

She's gonna "apologize" for the "half line" as too much but not the substance

"I think I probably overstated the amount of people who I think share these views but I said what I said because I am worried what I hear from Donald and his supporters. Calls for banning people for their religions, horrible chants at his rallies, the former leader Of the kkk endorsing Trump, calls to deport millions of immigration. These views are dangerous and racist. And while I don't velieve every, or even the majority of Trumps supporters feels this way we need to be aware of what trumps language is doing to our country. Our children are watching"

Something like that. It's an apology and double down.

Pixieking

Banned
No "firestorm" of Romney's 47% bungle or Obama's bitter clingers moment. Tomorrow is 9/11 anniversary.

The cynical reading on the timing would be that she chose it due to 9/11. She's got her shots in, she's highlighted the divide for everyone to see, and now she can sit back for a couple of days. If Trump attacks tomorrow, he's seen as insensitive, and if he leaves it, then there's more chance it sticks.

Holmes

Yeah, honestly, having slept on it, this is a whole lot of nothing. The people she's referring to are the ones being upset over this and they wouldn't have voted for her anyway. Not much will come of this, especially since this is 9/11 weekend and the focus will be on other matters. Clinton can make a statement to the press or do a press conference and say a lot of what she said in her alt-right speech and say she was referring to that crowd. That might not be a bad idea. But honestly I'm happy they were called out. Seeing the vile shit that has been coming out of their mouths (or keyboards) for the past year and a half because they see in a Presidential candidate a role model that gives the green light for that kind of behavior was the worst, and calling people out on it was not wrong. Even if optics.

Effect

No "firestorm" of Romney's 47% bungle or Obama's bitter clingers moment. Tomorrow is 9/11 anniversary.

I'm really thinking the difference here is that what Romney said was in secret behind closed doors and he was talking about half the country. What Hillary said was out in the open, press where there, and she was very clear about who she was talking about and there is a LOT of data (polls, video, interviews, etc) that back up what she's said and and what she's been saying for a while now. This clearly isn't an hot mic moment or something she was trying to say in private. It can't be spun that.

I think it's very hard to spin what she said because that requires one to say some of Trump's supporters aren't racist, sexist, etc and he isn't. Everyone knows they are. There is plenty of video, and a lot of it from the media itself, that shows that. Their own polling shows it and they've talked about it. To attack her instead of just talking about this requires one to completely ignore what has been happening for months and their own reporting and experiences.

Thank goodness I have football to spare me the pearl clutching for the day. There's nothing wrong with what she said. She needs to double down on it. She needs to own it and dare the media to prove her wrong.

Media needs to push Trump on that. And if he says he doesn't believe it ask him why his supporters do.

Right, but do it in a smart way, like "Last time you talked about Obama you were a birther, since you're not talking about it can assume you still are a birther?"

Chris Matthews needs to wine and dine him and grill him again.

P.S.: CBS/YouGov polls from OH and FL tomorrow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you think this is deplorable then what do you call the the strategy employed by Trump?

Which is exactly why the Clinton campaign should not be like the Trump campaign in ANY way, including insulting large swaths of people. There is absolutely nothing to gain from this. It's not like a million publications haven't already made those connections. Why are we acting like this was necessary? Like she, the candidate, needed to actually insult them.

Right, but do it in a smart way, like "Last time you talked about Obama you were a birther, since you're not talking about it can assume you still are a birther?"

Chris Matthews needs to wine and dine him and grill him again.

P.S.: CBS/YouGov polls from OH and FL tomorrow.

No, that's way too soft. That's a squishy question that you can get your way out of. You need to be specific "You said as recently as a year ago that you did not believe Obama was born in the United States. What do you believe now?"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is why liberals suck. On the right if trump said liberals suck they'd be like yeAh!!! Fuck liberals.

Hillary says actual racists are deplorable and liberals are worried about how it plays

Hahahaha on MSNBC they had the headline Clinton: Trump supporters are in basket of deplorables. Some lady they had on said she shouldn't have said that because news organizations will just run the same headline MSNBC had up. The headline changed like 20 seconds later to include the 1/2

HylianTom

Banned
I think she setting up something for the debate

I hope they run with it. She has a ton of material to work with, and we've seen that she's damn good at laying it out. The first debate - which should be the highest-rated event of the entire campaign - would be wonderful timing for her to hit this home.

Aside:
every time something racist/hateful happens for the rest of the campaign by Trump supporters, this comment will be recalled, and she will be vindicated. Expect the word "deplorable" to be uttered a lot for the rest of the campaign. His supporters simply can't help themselves.

Which is exactly why the Clinton campaign should not be like the Trump campaign in ANY way, including insulting large swaths of people. There is absolutely nothing to gain from this. It's not like a million publications haven't already made those connections. Why are we acting like this was necessary? Like she, the candidate, needed to actually insult them.

If you think this is a new argument, then you haven't been paying attention. She just gave a speech a few weeks ago saying, literally, this exact same thing. She said this exact same thing on TV a few hours before. Believe me, they know what they're doing, and they've tested these statements.

People complain if she attacks. People complain if she doesn't attack. People complain if she lets the press into events. People complain if they don't let the press in.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Use the Trump math.

"Trump is sending us their bigots, their racists. Some of them are good people I'm sure."

People will look back on this blip (on Tuesday) after Trump says something cataclysmic. And by the time the debates arrive it will be just as politically meaningless as it is factually accurate.

She should absolutely own it and start reeling off birthed poll numbers every time she's asked until Trump is forced to admit he was wrong.

Nonstop.

User1608

Banned
I think Hillary and her campaign will be fine in the end. As many have said, it only truly offends the bigots whom we thought liked it when someone says it like it is. I thought they were proud!? For those concerned about the optics, eh, it won't do any damage.

*Toughen up!

No, that's way too soft. That's a squishy question that you can get your way out of. You need to be specific "You said as recently as a year ago that you did not believe Obama was born in the United States. What do you believe now?"

"I don't talk about it, ask me again and the interview is over", which is what he's basically done.

My question doesn't give him a choice, if he doesn't answer he's tied to his past statements and legitimizes the assumption that he hasn't changed.

Even though the "I don't talk about it" pretty much means "Yeah I'm still a birther" for anyone with a functioning brain.

"I don't talk about it, ask me again and the interview is over", which is what he's basically done.

My question doesn't give him a choice, if he doesn't answer he's tied to his past statements and legitimizes the assumption that he hasn't changed.

Even though the "I don't talk about it" pretty much means "Yeah I'm still a birther" for anyone with a functioning brain.

He can, literally, do the "I don't want to talk about it with anything." I think the important question is the follow up in this instance, because, like, you can't let him off the hook. But, even if he refuses to answer, it's a line of attack.

Emarv

This is why liberals suck. On the right if trump said liberals suck they'd be like yeAh!!! Fuck liberals.

Hillary says actual racists are deplorable and liberals are worried about how it plays
Yup. Liberals are pansies. If you think this is somehow too far or bottom of the barrel, you're not being honest with yourself of the rhetoric going on on the other side. If you're trying to be righteous about it ("We're above that"), don't be. Have courage and call out bigotry and hate, otherwise you're just enabling your racist uncles comments.

kirblar

Liberals are too busy chicken littleing to notice that they're winning.

As long it's a planned strategy and doesn't put them on the defensive, I think it makes sense.

She's didn't lose a single Hispanic or AA vote from this.

Did she lose a vote from white suburban voter who doesn't like Trump? Did she ever have a chance winning that vote?

There's functionally not that much distance in strategy between Clinton's comments and Trump's attempts at immigration pivoting and the trip to Mexico. On the surface, they're both talking about a certain group (racists/alt-righters and minorities respectively), but the point is to appeal to people not in those groups.

Trump wanted white people to feel like he's not actually a racist choice so they don't feel embarrassed to vote for him. Hillary countered this by pointing out that, in all likelihood, the winner of this election will be her, and anyone who voted for Trump is going down in history as a racist/sexist/asshole (or combinations of the 3, really).

There is a non-zero number of Republicans who in good conscience won't vote for outright racists. You need to keep hammering this point in that Trump's base is nothing but racists, and pose the question, "Do you want to be counted in that number?"

A lot of liberals believe in hugging racists and that'll make them get ordained and officiate an interracial gay wedding, which will get social media shares as a feel-good story. It's a fantasy.

I will keep saying this. 40% of our country (at a minimum) believes white people are superior to black people. And like the Atlantic piece recently wrote, we need to stop spouting metaphors at these people that try to explain things like BLM. Racists aren't stupid; they know what they're saying and supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom