• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope the VP debate allows for plenty of time for the anti LGBT stances of Pence to become a big focal point.

America needs to be reminded that Trump's party and his VP are actively against measures to prevent LGBT discrimination. The party is still running on a platform of, "Gays are icky and contrary to American Values"

How this isn't a bigger deal is beyond me.

royalan

Jennifer Granholm mounted the perfect defense of the comment on MSNBC just now.

Don't back down, don't disavow. Point out the tone of Trump's support.

Jennifer Granholm mounted the perfect defense of the comment on MSNBC just now.

Don't back down, don't disavow. Point out the tone of Trump's support.

I didn't see it, but I'm glad the campaign has those talking points out there for the surrogates. Like I said last night, this whole thing is scripted, and, from what I'm seeing, the media doesn't seem to be doing too bad a job with it. Mike Murray on twitter summed it up perfectly:

Mark Murray ‏@mmurraypolitics 4h4 hours ago
I see the comparisons to "bitter/cling" & "47%," but are we really going to pretend race and other-ness haven't been key part of this race?

Revolver

Hearing Pence trying to act outraged over Hillary's comments makes me think of Blazing Saddles.

giphy.gif

Emarv

After the election is over, two things about Trump's campaign will be undisputed: 1) This will be considered the worst run campaign ever and 2) this will be considered the most racist, nationalistic campaign since Goldwater.

Everyone will accept these, including the media, probably even by January. This may feel like a 47% comment now (it isn't), but by next year everyone will accept this all as fact, if they haven't already.

User1608

Banned
Hearing Pence trying to act outraged over Hillary's comments makes me think of Blazing Saddles.

giphy.gif
I reslly need to watch this movie.
After the election is over, two things about Trump's campaign will be undisputed: 1) This will be considered the worst run campaign ever and 2) this will be considered the most racist, nationalistic campaign since Goldwater.

Everyone will accept these, including the media, probably even by January. This may feel like a 47% comment now (it isn't), but by next year everyone will accept this all as fact, if they haven't already.
Agreed. The venom and toxicity is unmatched in modern campaign history for sure.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 55m55 minutes ago
Really sad that Republicans would allow themselves to be used in a Clinton ad. Lindsey Graham, Romney, Flake, Sass. SUPREME COURT, REMEMBER!

Bitch, please.

3) nothing in the GOP will change, and those GOPs in Congress will do everything to wreck her presidency.

4) the Trump base will become more angry (Trump won't concede, and it'll have to be the "establishment" GOP that performs that basic task of democracy).

This fund raising email from Hillary confirms to me that this was all on purpose:

Adam --

Welcome to the media’s version of “normal” -- where Donald Trump gets graded on a curve just for showing up, and there's no sustained effort to press him on the questions that deserve real answers.

On Wednesday night, at the Commander-in-Chief Forum, Trump said he stood by the idea that sexual assault is the price you pay for allowing men and women to serve together in the military. The response from the media at large? Mostly a shrug. Any effort to contextualize those remarks got lost in discussion about optics from the event.

At that same event, Trump lied about his opposition to the Iraq war, and the moderator for the night, Matt Lauer, never pushed back. It was the perfect example of the media's inability to even fact-check this guy.

In a normal election, just one moment like this -- an example of such casual misogyny or another repeated, unblinking lie -- would be the topic of a news story for days. For Trump, that's not the case.

So the responsibility shifts to us.

It's on this team to give voters the information they need about how to define these two candidates, and to meet that obligation, we need to resources to do things like hire enough organizers to blanket the country and run the kind of advertising program it takes to cut through the noise.

sazzy

Trump is whining about the new Clinton ad featuring anti Trump Republicans.

edit- expect him to blast them in his next speech

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 55m55 minutes ago
Really sad that Republicans would allow themselves to be used in a Clinton ad. Lindsey Graham, Romney, Flake, Sass. SUPREME COURT, REMEMBER!

Bitch, please.

Someone should tell him he's been in more Clinton ads than Clinton.

tuffy

No doubt. This was not a gaffe. It's a calculated risk. I hope that it pays off.
If it pays off, the Clinton campaign is going to keep hammering on that angle. If she gets pushback or it just doesn't get traction, she'll pivot to a different angle of attack without apologizing or walking it back. Early voting is starting in some states and I believe the campaign is transitioning to offense and will keep it up through election day.

It's sad that we, as a country, would rather dance around that 20% of the country are disgusting, racist, backwards individuals, than to actually admit it.

Hillary wasn't wrong. And that's whats making a lot of media really uncomfortable right now. There are actual studies that show his supporters are awful people. And the numbers just about line up to half of his supporters, in nearly every case. So she wasn't lying, and she wasn't exaggerating. It's why I can't really seem to find a general consensus on how the media is handling this. They seem to not really know if it was a bad thing or if they should cover how many of his supporters actually are disgusting racists.

People don't like saying it out loud, because it makes them uncomfortable to remember that these people actually exist and do make up a decent percent of the population.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 11h11 hours ago
I havn't seen @tonyschwartz in many years, he hardly knows me. Never liked his style. Super lib, Crooked H supporter. Irrelevant dope!

Did we talk about Trump attacking his Art of the Deal ghostwriter yesterday?

Amir0x

Banned
Why? Calling a spade a spade? There is a large segment of Trump supporters who are racist bigots. You see it all the rallies. They should be called out. Fuck their feelings.

Or I guess them being ok with her assassination or straight up calling her a bitch should be ignored and normalized?
Yup. Ive said this before many times. If you support Trump it's clear the type of human being you are. You are a bigot or a racist or a xenophobe or a homophobe or a misogynist. The last group of Trump supporters may not technically be those things, but they know Trump is those things and they dont care because he is the home team.

Why do we keep playing pretend? Because someone is going to get their feelings hurt? Good. I hope their feelings are hurt. The stakes are too high and these are awful people.

Diablos

what is really blowing my mind right now is the reaction on the news to these comments when Trump has said far, far, FAR more offensive things on a regular basis and he won his party's fucking nomination and has gained in the polls.

Like, America, wtf is wrong with you

I know this was risky, but I just heard someone on the news say this could be the moment that would start to define her loss, if she would end up losing. Like, are you kidding me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The fact is that a majority of vocal Trump supporters have called Clinton an actual murderer and casually refer to Obama as the n word. I'm not sure how offended one big fancy word is going to make them.

Iolo

I havn't seen @tonyschwartz in many years, he hardly knows me. Never liked his style. Super lib, Crooked H supporter. Irrelevant dope!

I never liked the style of the guy that wrote my book that I describe as the best book of all time.

Schwartz was on Cooper and was thinking "when will Trump trash tweet him". Guess Trump watched the re-run (1 a.m.!), lol.

Revolver

I hope she sticks to it and just shows the receipts. Trump has to be pissed his "she could shoot someone" line is getting little attention today. You know he only said it to grab a news cycle and he's getting choked out of the headlines.

Armaros

Looking around social media, it is amazing how triggered they are over this.

To the point of making lots of blatant fake 'I am of X demographic and I support trump,we aren't racists and Trump isn't either'

HylianTom

Banned
I hope she sticks to it and just shows the receipts. Trump has to be pissed his "she could shoot someone" line is getting little attention today. You know he only said it to grab a news cycle and he's getting choked out of the headlines.

This is key. This places those receipts on center stage. Those receipts are poisonous to a huge swath of the still-undecided voters. Even if this just gets them to rule-out a Trump vote without quite committing to a Hillary vote yet, it's a win.

I think the actual major story of yesterday was Trump detailing how he would start a war with Iran.

But no one was ever going to care about that.

Looking around social media, it is amazing how triggered they are over this.

To the point of making lots of blatant fake 'I am of X demographic and I support trump,we aren't racists and Trump isn't either'
The truth hurts more than made up lies. It's a brilliant line of attack to use against Trump. Because he could totally prove her wrong, but he can't because she's not wrong. And his campaign is built on racism, sexism and homophobia. And we can bring receipts.
Only things involving talking to racists.

For example, it will not help you with Comcast.
Actually, if they're anything like TWC....it might. True story, rep from TWC told me I sounded "fag-oty" the other day. But, he prefaced it with "Not to sound rude, I thought you were a girl, but maybe you just sound fa-goty"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know this is bad for Clinton when a lot of the justification in this thread boils down to "bu bu Trump did the insulting first!" and "but it's true!" like its fine for our candidate to do what Trump does in casting a broad, badly defined brush on millions of Americans. And like everything that may be true needs to be said out loud and condescendingly.

"Half of Trump supporters" is the type of brutally imprecise language that we associate with intolerant people like Trump. It is absolutely not the same thing as specifically calling out the alt right as she had done or David duke supporters as so many pundits already have. Completely unnecessary of her to use that clumsy phrasing.

pigeon

Banned
The truth hurts more than made up lies. It's a brilliant line of attack to use against Trump. Because he could totally prove her wrong, but he can't because she's not wrong. And his campaign is built on racism, sexism and homophobia. And we can bring receipts.

Actually, if they're anything like TWC....it might. True story, rep from TWC told me I sounded "fag-oty" the other day. But, he prefaced it with "Not to sound rude, I thought you were a girl, but maybe you just sound fa-goty"

That's pretty terrible.

Also, uh, sounds like free cable right there. Call those guys back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom