• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not really an apology, just a clarification.

She said "half" to get it in the news because a hard number triggers people, and then slightly walks back the number, without giving a specifics as to what the real number is (even though it's higher than half). It gets in the news and now she has an actual point to campaign on.

HylianTom

Banned
As long as she keeps hammering the main point, the "half" is window dressing. Keeping the focus on the darker elements of his base support is friendly terrain.

Debirudog

Yeah. She meant to do it, huh?

Already walking it back. She better stop fucking up.

If we're talking about the half thing.

giphy.gif

...and she doubled down on the contents that mattered.

Yeah. She meant to do it, huh?

Already walking it back. She better stop fucking up.

raw

She walked nothing back except to say the half was whatever. The half part was wrong because it was more than half. But, then she doubled down on the rest, which was the entire point of saying it to begin with.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago
While Hillary said horrible things about my supporters, and while many of her supporters will never vote for me, I still respect them all!

Right....

Not sure what that statement accomplishes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I guess that validates my point about her embarrassingly imprecise rhetoric.

This is like the Trump immigration speech, getting the base that was going to vote for you anyway all lathered up at the expense of more moderate voters. That's not how elections are won, not enough alt right people or die hard liberals to win a national election. She needed to walk it back and she did.

Pixieking

Banned
Mmmm, disappointing on one level, but politically clever to walk back the "half". Viewed alongside Kaine's comment it shows that she's willing to push-back against the racists of Trump's support whilst giving those who aren't racists a chance to move to her side without feeling bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

This is like the Trump immigration speech, getting the base that was going to vote for you anyway all lathered up at the expense of more moderate voters. That's not how elections are won, not enough alt right people or die hard liberals to win a national election. She needed to walk it back and she did.

This is incoherent. What moderate voters are offended by racists being called racists?

Boke1879

She walked back the "half" part and doubled down on everything else.

Armaros

Did you somehow read the same statement as everyone else and got something else out of it?

That is some amazing confirmation bias.

royalan

This isn't walking it back.

And the fact that you're trying to equivocate Donald Trump doubling down on deporting illegal immigrants and their families with the optics of Hillary Clinton rightly pointing out that a significant portion of Trump's support stems from the alt-right and people that are ok with being associated with the alt-right says more about you and Trump than it does her position.

There is no equivalence here.

That's an excellent press release- does not seem to be waffling at all.

Also, I still do not see what is objectively wrong about calling out the racist backbone of the Trump campaign.

shem935

Banned

"Calling racists racists is just as bad as calling immigrants snakes, think of the poor racists feelings please"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is incoherent. What moderate voters are offended by racists being called racists?

By using grossly generalistic language, as Trump often does, she risked exactly what ended up happening. Most people could see this coming a mile away, that's a huge difference between saying half of Trump supporters and saying the alt right or neo nazis or whatever. This is what makes Clinton better, that she is able to be more precise and demonstrate her ability to parse rather than just lumping people into buckets haphazardly. Leave that nonsense to Trump.

Dierce

Looks like that AP editor hasn't learnt her lesson from last time.

Or they are doing this 100% on purpose.

100% on purpose. I expect it to be repeated by other outlets as well. She didn't need to issue that statement in the first place. I know she didn't back down completely but she should stick to it. She clearly meant the same thing she said during the Israeli interview that orange turd supporters can be divided into two groups. Now the narrative is going to be that she walked back on her comments even if it isn't completely accurate.

In case anyone forgot, we are actually underestimating the racists here.

racial%20resentment%20voters.png

This is a pretty dumb study imo.

They asked 4 overly simple questions to make generalizations about someone's racial sentiments.

1. Over the past few years, Blacks have gotten less than they deserve (disagree).

2. Irish, Italian, Jewish, and many other minorities overcame prejudice and worked their way up. Blacks should do the same without any special favors (agree).

3. It's really a matter of some people not trying hard enough; if Blacks would only try harder they could be just as well off as whites (agree).

4. Generations of slavery and discrimination have created conditions that make it difficult for Blacks to work their way out of the lower class (disagree).

Answers to these questions are complicated, and to expect someone to fully agree or disagree is absurd. So if you agreed with 2 of these statements, you have low-racial resentment? But then if you agree with one more you suddenly have high racial resentment? This is classic social sciences, in which academia finds their conclusion first and reverse engineers there way to agreeable data. Watch the hands people.

and fwiw that study also states "research has shown that White liberals also harbor racial resentment against Blacks."

I'm getting the feeling this is more of a directed attack than a gaffe as things progress. The "half" part was to grab attention, then walk that back a little but still leave the "well, then what percentage is?" lingering.

FUCK YES. This is what I love: a candidate with a fucking back bone.

GOOD! How long have we heard that Democrats don't have a spine?

Thankfully my father in law is apart of the group that has been affected by the economy. He is an electrician, and his job changed quite a bit after the economic crash. His job situation has gotten better, but other stuff changed quite a bit during the last four years and I think he mistakenly puts blame on Obama and "Washington". For example my wife and I married the same year year that her sister was married, so he went from claiming 3 dependents to 1. They also lost some other credits on their tax return. Then last year my mother in law was laid off because the company was bought out. Not to soon after that my brother in law moved out. Not to mention they had to remortgage their house. There is probably a lot more that I'm missing...
I just have to figure out how to break through the Limbaugh/right wing radio shit he listens to.

Meguro

Banned
What the hell happened to the AP this election cycle?
I thought they were the outlet one could trust when it comes to breaking news.

Anno

I don't think anyone is taking this as an apology. Like 90% of that statement is doubling down, calling out specifics and promising to continue to do so in the future.

Boke1879

That's an excellent press release- does not seem to be waffling at all.

Also, I still do not see what is objectively wrong about calling out the racist backbone of the Trump campaign.

There is nothing wrong because it's true. The main started his campaign on the back of vile shit. He clearly attracted that element.

People in this thread worried about the optics of this when they have known this to be the case blow my mind.

She rightfully called out his campaign and that element of supporters. She's on the attack. We all know it's true. Now some want to be upset because she's not coddling feelings.

I've said it. I don't care how the optics look on this. I don't know if it helps or hurts her. But that shit needed to be said.

If you're more worried about the optics and not the fact that Trump does get a large amount of support from racists, bigots, sexists, people who are homophobic Abd islamaphobic says a lot.

Revolver

100% on purpose. I expect it to be repeated by other outlets as well. She didn't need to issue that statement in the first place. I know she didn't back down completely but she should stick to it. She clearly meant the same thing she said during the Israeli interview that orange turd supporters can be divided into two groups. Now the narrative is going to be that she walked back on her comments even if it isn't completely accurate.

That's my fear too. It'll all be about how she had to clarify her remark and the actual merit will be brushed off. Wish she had just let it sit.

Maxim726X

I don't think anyone is taking this as an apology. Like 90% of that statement is doubling down, calling out specifics and promising to continue to do so in the future.

Bullshit. The headlines are already being written, we see them now

If you need to 'clarify', specifically as she just did, then you're walking back on your original statement. Politics 101.

All of the headlines I'm seeing are omitting the entire statement beyond her "regret for saying 50%"

She messed up what could have been a fantastic story. She shouldn't have issued a statement.

Crocodile

Personally, I don't even like "walking back" the "half" part of the statement (even if she doesn't provide a real number it feels like the implication is that 50% is overestimating even if reality says it might be underestimating). She doubled down on the most important parts so while I'm a little disappointed the core of her message is intact.

What the literal fuck?

The media are the ones that should to start asking how many of Trump's supporters really are deplorable and they can start with the correspondents that have been covering Trump's rallies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom