• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
I can see it easily getting worse. We'll have demagogue 2.0 next semester, who will think that the reason trump lost was because he didn't go far enough

In 50 years people are going to think the documentaries and movies made about this election were made up.

Anyone think how weird it's going to be to go back to a "normal" election in 2020

2020 isn't going to be normal. Curt Schilling is going to win the nomination and it's going to be fucking crazier than 2016.

2020 isn't going to be normal. Curt Schilling is going to win the nomination and it's going to be fucking crazier than 2016.

Nah. Schilling isn't going to run for president in 2020 after he completely fails during either the 2018 MA US Senate election or doesn't even make it through the primaries for that seat.

Even if he were to magically get that GOP senate nomination, he would still never be endorsed by Charlie Baker.

If Trump loses the Republican party will coordinate to shut down anyone who even remotely resembles Trump's brand of know nothingness. Then again I guess it depends on Clinton's approval rating. If she is doing terribly, I guess all bets are off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I know I'm way late on this, but I don't find Hillary's comment about "deplorables" to be an issue at all. LOL at those comparing it to Romney's 47% comment. She specifically labeled Trump supporters in the slam, and it was a true statement. That shouldn't swing independent/moderate voters in the least.

Well lookie here.

CsB9K8aWIAAK7Sz.jpg
Both sides!

But seriously, how many times has something come out about Trump that would have sunk anyone else only to not have it mean anything? Gotta be nearing triple digits.

Crocodile

If Trump loses the Republican party will coordinate to shut down anyone who even remotely resembles Trump's brand of know nothingness. Then again I guess it depends on Clinton's approval rating. If she is doing terribly, I guess all bets are off.

A problem is that someone could come along who combines Trump's white nationalism and authoritarianism with better dog whistles and "I actually know non-zero things about how government and world geo-politics works". I don't know who that is but I think Trump shone a pretty big spotlight on the fact that most Republican voters give two shits about "small government" , "conservative values", etc.

Piecake

Is that what we're calling browsing 8chan now?

Investigating whether or not Hilary's statement was true is in-line with what investigative journalist do and should be part of the story that reporters report on. The whole thing shouldn't just be about optics and the political horse race.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/basket-of-deplorables/499493/

Much like Trump’s alleged opposition to the Iraq War, this not an impossible claim to investigate. We know, for instance, some nearly 60 percent of Trump’s supporters hold “unfavorable views” of Islam, and 76 percent support a ban on Muslims entering the United States. We know that some 40 percent of Trump’s supporters believe blacks are more violent, more criminal, lazier, and ruder than whites. Two-thirds of Trump’s supporters believe the first black president in this country’s history is not American. These claim are not ancillary to Donald Trump’s candidacy, they are a driving force behind it.

Ta-Nehisi Coates does a bit of cursory investigating in this piece, and argues that you can make the claim that half of Trump's supporters are deplorable. I doubt that we will be seeing much of this though and a whole lot more meaningless optics and horse race punditry.

So now she's walking it back, amazing. Can you guys see why I don't believe she'd beat a decent republican nominee? So we'll go from "where is Hillary" one week to "more emails" for one more week to fallback from this for another week.

Debirudog

this is at least, infinitely better than the email scandal, I'll take this basket of deplorables or walking it back her half comment any day.

Nafai1123

Banned
So now she's walking it back, amazing. Can you guys see why I don't believe she'd beat a decent republican nominee? So we'll go from "where is Hillary" one week to "more emails" for one more week to fallback from this for another week.

What decent Republican nominee would that be?

I remember when Hillary walked back 2.5% of her comments and then realized that Ben Carson and Ted Cruz (the only candidates to challenge Trump) would have beaten her in 2016.

Here's what you say: Donald Trump won the republican nomination with less than 50% of the total vote, meaning a majority of republicans disapproved of him. To this day many republicans continue to refuse to support him, including prominent respected figures such as [insert names]. Trump's campaign is being fueled by the far right as well as the alt-right, who I gave a speech about x weeks ago. And then list off some exit polls and various other information on the various bigoted things Trump supporters believe. I wouldn't bring up the Muslim immigration ban since most Americans seem to agree with him on it, but there are a whole host of other things to cite.

The point is not simply to denigrate Trump supporters, but to make regular voters even more embarrassed of Trump's camp. The other goal: to force Trump to revisit some of these issues, and watch him double down again.

Boke1879

At least with any "normal" republican nominee. I'd assume the media would hold both candidates to the same standard. So yes Clinton would be going through the same shit she is now, but other candidates would be held to standard.

Lets be real. Trump isn't being held to that same standard at this moment. He's gotten a lot of leeway.

That said Clinton didn't really walk shit back. She just said she shouldn't have said half. She doubled down.

Pretty much. "I shouldn't have said half, but I stand by everything I said."

Debirudog

There's still time for her to clarify what she meant about, "I didn't mean half." She could very much say there was more than just that number of bigots in Trump's demographic, lol.

Boke1879

There's still time for her to clarify what she meant about, "I didn't mean half." She could very much say there was more than just that number of bigots in Trump's demographic, lol.

She doesn't need to clarify anything. Just use this as a chance to keep tying this racist element with Trump.

royalan

I mean, I don't think she should have bothered walking any of it back. Explaining, losing etc.
So that was a mistake, in my view.

I agree.

There are two things I've learned from Sanders and Trump this election that Hillary should tak to heart if she's going to go on this type of offensive.

1) If you're going to make a strong statement, make sure it's the statement you want to make. I think Hillary did this. There is a very strong argument to make that a huge swath of Trump's supporters would fit into the Basket. All sorts of things she could point to.

2) When you make that statement, stand by it. Don't do anything that resembles walking back or apologizing. It cedes high ground to your opponent and muddies the message.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Investigating whether or not Hilary's statement was true is in-line with what investigative journalist do and should be part of the story that reporters report on. The whole thing shouldn't just be about optics and the political horse race.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/basket-of-deplorables/499493/

Ta-Nehisi Coates does a bit of cursory investigating in this piece, and argues that you can make the claim that half of Trump's supporters are deplorable. I doubt that we will be seeing much of this though and a whole lot more meaningless optics and horse race punditry.

The claim that someone is "deplorable" is not something that can be fact-checked, because it's a matter of opinion, not fact. Pretending to defend the claim on an objective basis is nothing short of partisan hackery, despite BM's insistence that that would be "proper" journalism.

Hillary Clinton: I deplored them. I deplored them all. They're deplored... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women... and the children, too. They're like animals, and I deplored them like animals! I DEPLORED THEM!

Award goes to NYCmetsfan for being right

She's gonna "apologize" for the "half line" as too much but not the substance

"I think I probably overstated the amount of people who I think share these views but I said what I said because I am worried what I hear from Donald and his supporters. Calls for banning people for their religions, horrible chants at his rallies, the former leader Of the kkk endorsing Trump, calls to deport millions of immigration. These views are dangerous and racist. And while I don't velieve every, or even the majority of Trumps supporters feels this way we need to be aware of what trumps language is doing to our country. Our children are watching"

Something like that. It's an apology and double down.

Now we compare the prediction to the actual statement released by Hillary Clinton later today:

“Last night I was ‘grossly generalistic,’ and that’s never a good idea. I regret saying ‘half’ – that was wrong. But let’s be clear, what’s really ‘deplorable’ is that Donald Trump hired a major advocate for the so-called ‘alt-right’ movement to run his campaign and that David Duke and other white supremacists see him as a champion of their values. It’s deplorable that Trump has built his campaign largely on prejudice and paranoia and given a national platform to hateful views and voices, including by retweeting fringe bigots with a few dozen followers and spreading their message to 11 million people. It’s deplorable that he’s attacked a federal judge for his ‘Mexican heritage,’ bullied a Gold Star family because of their Muslim faith, and promoted the lie that our first black president is not a true American. So I won’t stop calling out bigotry and racist rhetoric in this campaign. I also meant what I said last night about empathy, and the very real challenges we face as a country where so many people have been left out and left behind. As I said, many of Trump’s supporters are hard-working Americans who just don’t feel like the economy or our political system are working for them. I’m determined to bring our country together and make our economy work for everyone, not just those at the top. Because we really are ‘stronger together.’”

For correctly predicting a reference to the KKK, Mexican deportation, attacks on Muslims, doubling down on attacking racism and bigotry, but apologizing for actually quantifying a proportion, NYCmetsfan earns a rare and coveted four swamis from the Spoiled Milk Report.

A0E1uoz.gif
A0E1uoz.gif
A0E1uoz.gif
A0E1uoz.gif

The claim that someone is "deplorable" is not something that can be fact-checked, because it's a matter of opinion, not fact. Pretending to defend the claim on an objective basis is nothing short of partisan hackery, despite BM's insistence that that would be "proper" journalism.
Incorrect. The claim was that half of Trump's supporters held particular beliefs that she found deplorable, which can be fact-checked, and has been by multiple posters.

I mean, I'm disappointed she backed down a bit, but I think it's better that it moves the focus from her "attacking" an unfortunately large number of our population to the fact that these losers exist and are enabled by Trump.

Here's what you say: Donald Trump won the republican nomination with less than 50% of the total vote, meaning a majority of republicans disapproved of him. To this day many republicans continue to refuse to support him, including prominent respected figures such as [insert names]. Trump's campaign is being fueled by the far right as well as the alt-right, who I gave a speech about x weeks ago. And then list off some exit polls and various other information on the various bigoted things Trump supporters believe. I wouldn't bring up the Muslim immigration ban since most Americans seem to agree with him on it, but there are a whole host of other things to cite.

The point is not simply to denigrate Trump supporters, but to make regular voters even more embarrassed of Trump's camp. The other goal: to force Trump to revisit some of these issues, and watch him double down again.

He's got 85% of GOP support, currently.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ehind-trump-as-if-he-were-any-other-candidate

Piecake

She made it perfectly clear what she found deplorable. That is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, etc. people. You can investigate whether or not half of Trump supporters hold one or more of those views to determine if she is telling the truth. That isn't a matter of opinion, unless you are making the claim that calling someone a racist for saying racist things and holding racist views is only an opinion and not fact.

People who aren't deplorable agree that bigots are deplorable.

She made it perfectly clear what she found deplorable. That is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, etc. people. You can investigate whether or not half of Trump supporters hold one or more of those views to determine if she is telling the truth. That isn't a matter of opinion, unless you are making the claim that calling someone a racist for saying racist things and holding racist views is only an opinion and not fact.
It would not be the first, second, third, or fourth time.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Incorrect. The claim was that half of Trump's supporters held particular beliefs that she found deplorable, which can be fact-checked, and has been by multiple posters.

The fact that she finds certain beliefs deplorable can be fact checked? Surely you jest!

But she didn't refer to "certain beliefs," but to labels--"racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic"--that leave a lot to personal judgment. Just look at the Coates' argument in the article Piecake linked to: In support of his claim that a large number of Trump supporters are Islamophobic, he cites a survey in which 60 percent of Trump supporters reportedly have an "unfavorable view" of Islam. But what does that mean, and does it rise to the level of "Islamophobia"? (Do you believe that the central tenets of Islam are true? If not, does that make your view "unfavorable"? If so, does that make you an Islamophobe?) Coates seems to think so.

If she had referred to specific beliefs, maybe then most people could agree on whether they fit the labels used. But even that's not a sure thing. If someone gets a job promotion because of his or her race, is that an example of racism? Does it depend on the race of the person promoted and the structural and historical facts of the society in which the promotion occurs?

In the end, what we're left with is a "fact check" that has to make a value judgment as to the significance of a belief, the meaning of the label to be applied, and whether that label applies to that belief. Only once you make those judgment calls can you turn to the numbers and do what can truly be called fact checking.

See above. You're skipping the value judgments and taking the applicability of the labels as given.

It would not be the first, second, third, or fourth time.

You're proving my point and not understanding the things you read all at the same time. Are you really claiming that, e.g., the classification of "Illegal immigrants should be deported" as hate speech is an objective fact about the world? And what does that have to do with denying that a racist is a racist? Nothing? Nothing.

Piecake

The fact that she finds certain beliefs deplorable can be fact checked? Surely you jest!

But she didn't refer to "certain beliefs," but to labels--"racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic"--that leave a lot to personal judgment. Just look at the Coates' argument in the article Piecake linked to: In support of his claim that a large number of Trump supporters are Islamophobic, he cites a survey in which 60 percent of Trump supporters reportedly have an "unfavorable view" of Islam. But what does that mean, and does it rise to the level of "Islamophobia"? (Do you believe that the central tenets of Islam are true? If not, does that make your view "unfavorable"? If so, does that make you an Islamophobe?) Coates seems to think so.

If she had referred to specific beliefs, maybe then most people could agree on whether they fit the labels used. But even that's not a sure thing. If someone gets a job promotion because of his or her race, is that an example of racism? Does it depend on the race of the person promoted and the structural and historical facts of the society in which the promotion occurs?

In the end, what we're left with is a "fact check" that has to make a value judgment as to the significance of a belief, the meaning of the label to be applied, and whether that label applies to that belief. Only once you make those judgment calls can you turn to the numbers and do what can truly be called fact checking.

See above. You're skipping the value judgments and taking the applicability of the labels as given.

This isn't straight up racism?

We know that some 40 percent of Trump’s supporters believe blacks are more violent, more criminal, lazier, and ruder than whites.

royalan

Damnit, was going to post something like this.

A lot of the criticism stems from the OPTICS of her saying this, but very few people disagree.

At this point, I think it would be quite hard for any reporter charged with covering Trump to disagree with the substance of what Hillary said.

She needs to stand firm on this charge. It's one of the most provocative things she has said all election.

This whole thing also seems to have totally blown over, because most of the news websites now have a bunch of 9-11 stuff as their headlines. At least online.

...I kind of wonder if the timing of this was planned. They had an "out" for the media cycle with 9-11, so they could judge what direction to take it without much risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom