• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Basically they are going to try and make Hillary responsible for birtherism. Question is if the media will let him get away with it.

It's a ridiculous premise, but my hopes are not exactly high given what we've seen so far.

Diablos

Omg this thread this morning freaking out about Trump "owning the cycle"

He owned the curiel and Khan cycle. Owning a cycle about you being a racist isn't good.
He IS though. Even if it's negative. It's stealing precious time that the Clinton campaign would have wanted this morning. And it drowns out his pastor flub and what's that other thing he did? Can't remember.

See what he does?

He IS though. Even if it's negative. It's stealing precious time that the Clinton campaign would have wanted this morning. And it drowns out his pastor flub and what's that other thing he did? Can't remember.

See what he does?

It also takes people's minds off of Hillary dying and reminds college educated whites that Trump is a moron.

Name a negative situation for Trump where he actually benefited from it, in the polls

They wrote a story about a video with 11k views and a reddit post?

Really?

Obviously every negative event, because his poll numbers are barely taking a hit. Which is baffling.

Trump's things don't change his numbers, they help Hillary's. Trump's polling has been relatively static this entire election, while Hillary's goes up and down depending on what's going on.

Grief.exe

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...my-stupid.html?mid=twitter_dailyintelligencer

Something I also feel Clinton campaign has done a shit job on. Attack Trump's economic policies.

Policy is so difficult to translate to the American people, economics is particularly nuanced. Works for people in this thread who are willing to do some research, not so much for the average voter.

I blame Jill Stein.

PBY

Banned
Some high-profile NYTimes reporter said the same thing. I wonder if the media will be a tad less receptive to this than they normally are (probably not).
The "media" isn't a single entity.

A lot of print/online sources have pushed back, but TV networks will always cover this stuff.

HylianTom

Banned
Some high-profile NYTimes reporter said the same thing. I wonder if the media will be a tad less receptive to this than they normally are (probably not).
He can trap them on their plane 50% of the time, and they'd still follow him everywhere, just on the chance that the coin flip falls their way that day.

dwuuu

Banned
I hope Trump does the right thing, he could make huge gains with Black americans, especially in Michigan !
I no doubt belive that Trump feels the same way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Policy is so difficult to translate to the American people, economics is particularly nuanced. Works for people in this thread who are willing to do some research, not so much for the average voter.

"Trump's tax plan gives boatloads of cash to people making above this amount of money, and screws over people who don't, like you."

Not that hard to do. I haven't seen much of that at all from her campaign.

I think that's my real problem with her campaign strategy--nowhere near enough simple, effective statements of how her policy will help people.

Looking at 538, something weird I noticed.

Hillary's polling was a lot "better" around the email scandal than it is right now, at least as far as swing state polling goes. The polls from yesterday were downright brutal compared to the email stuff.

Yet 538 doesn't consider this the worst part of her campaign for polling, and the email scandal is still the lowest her odds have been this entire race.

Is it because the longer the race goes on, the less volatile the chart becomes?

Bernie stanning for Hillary on CNN right now (and blasting CNN at the same time)

Don't know what Bernie said on CNN but going off on media coverage and putting out stupidity fires like the above link is the sort of thing he should be used for. They should have used him at Peak Email too. He's not a good direct stumper for Hillary because, frankly, no one believes him and he probably only half-believes it himself, at best.

He is probably great at pointing out all the bullshit nothings the media and country gets hung up on, and how fucking awful Donald Trump is, because he sure as shit believes that.

Something about you is fishy.

If mods are feeling bored and feel like sifting through the wreckage of the GOP debate/primary threads someone was posting exactly like that earlier in the year

Looking at 538, something weird I noticed.

Hillary's polling was a lot "better" around the email scandal than it is right now, at least as far as swing state polling goes. The polls from yesterday were downright brutal compared to the email stuff.

Yet 538 doesn't consider this the worst part of her campaign for polling, and the email scandal is still the lowest her odds have been this entire race.

Is it because the longer the race goes on, the less volatile the chart becomes?

Yes, the longer race goes on the less time Trump has to make up.

Don't know what Bernie said on CNN but going off on media coverage and putting out stupidity fires like the above link is the sort of thing he should be used for. They should have used him at Peak Email too. He's not a good direct stumper for Hillary because, frankly, no one believes him and he probably only half-believes it himself, at best.

He is probably great at pointing out all the bullshit nothings the media and country gets hung up on, and how fucking awful Donald Trump is, because he sure as shit believes that.

Peak email scandal he was still technically running in the primary. The worst of the email stuff was pre-DNC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If I'm Hillary, I reserve time for one of those infomercials before the election and basically make it a mini-DNC with no crowd. I want the President, Michelle Obama, Biden, Bill, and Bernie all making their case.

HylianTom

Banned

He really is. I suspect we're going to see him doing these types of cable news appearances a lot more often. He was effective on Morning Joe - honest about Clinton's plusses & minuses, blunt about the stakes of November, credible on the the issue of protest voting, etc. He'll never reach all of his former supporters - too many of them are still stuck in emotional/primitive/limbic system mode - but he can still move the needle a fair amount.

If I'm Hillary, I reserve time for one of those infomercials before the election and basically make it a mini-DNC with no crowd. I want the President, Michelle Obama, Biden, Bill, and Bernie all making their case.

Ive been rooting for this for a while. I looked it up: half an hour of air time in prime time back in 2008 cost $1 million. I'd say air it on the networks, plus MTV, BET, Lifetime, etc.

It's clear that this message format - bypassing the media filter - worked wonders for her. If she can get even a fraction of the bump she got from the convention, it'd be well worthwhile. It might even get us an extra senate seat or two.

(Hell, if she has the money, do one in mid-October after debates are over and one in early November, the weekend before Election Day. And save a surprise endorsement for each one.)

Plinko

WHO THE FUCKS CARES ABOUT TRUMPS HAIR

The average American voter? The same type of person who watches The Tonight Show?

Seriously--the average American isn't that smart, guys. They aren't fact checking lies. They aren't researching candidate policy in the past. They're being exposed to these guys through stuff like what Fallon did. The elitist route is a terrible route to take for any politician in 2016.

Man I wish the Bernie supporters who want to relitigate the primaries would actually do something useful like donate or volunteer. I just donated a little more.

He really is. I suspect we're going to see him doing these types of cable news appearances a lot more often. He was effective on Morning Joe - honest about Clinton's plusses & minuses, blunt about the stakes of November, credible on the the issue of protest voting, etc. He'll never reach all of his former supporters - too many of them are still stuck in emotional/primitive/limbic system mode - but he can still move the needle a fair amount.

Psst if you think any large percentage of the human population (or really anyone that isn't missing the amygdala/etc.) ISNT using/enslaved to their limbic systems (and dopaminergic reward system too for that matter), I have a common chemical solvent for you that will take all those worries away.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sanders could be a great stumper for Clinton. He just needs be allowed to talk candidly. "Look, I wanted all this. I still want all this. One day, you kids will achieve all this. And no, maybe Clinton doesn't have the ambition we did. But that's fine, because every step is another step there. Want childcare? Vote Clinton. Want environmental protection? Vote Clinton. Want a Supreme Court that can one day bring about the financial revolution we're hoping for? Vote Clinton. And the next time, we'll take that progress, and we'll build on it."

I can't think of anyone better placed to take idealism and pin it to an action than King Idealism himself. It won't work if he just talks up Clinton as though the sun shines out her arse; nobody will be buy that. He can't be the conventional stumper. But I think something that walks just the right line between acknowledging her imperfections but pointing out her strengths has that kind of appealing bluntness that drew so many to Sanders in the first place. Acknowledge her as a brilliant rival ultimately on the same path.

The average American voter? The same type of person who watches The Tonight Show?

Seriously--the average American isn't that smart, guys. They aren't fact checking lies. They aren't researching candidate policy in the past. They're being exposed to these guys through stuff like what Fallon did. The elitist route is a terrible route to take for any politician in 2016.

I actually think the average American is relatively intelligent, in general. The problem is most American's are so disenfranchised by the political system that they don't care enough to put the effort in to study issues. The have fallen into the trap that "both parties are the same/corrupt" and feel its not worth the effort to research topics and policies in depth. In summary, the problem isn't so much the intelligence of the avg. person, its the effort the avg. person is willing to invest in understanding issues (i.e. the avg person is lazy as shit and they feel its not important enough, coupled with identity politics)

You know what, you guys think this is Trump's master plan to always have the media focus on him, but I think the timing of this was terrible.

Here are the things the media will no longer talk about today

- Hillary's health. That story is gone, and, unless she drops dead again, it's probably not coming back, at least not in the same force it was in this week, since she managed to secure the optics that she was healthy yesterday. It's no longer being talked about

- That Hillary's lead is slipping. Nobody is talking about yesterday's terrible polls or doom and gloom about the race being over. This is bad for Trump.

- Nobody is bringing up emails anymore, and a few days/week without them might be the kick needed for them to fade away completely.

This was a bad news week for Hillary and a good week for Trump. And now it's a bad week for Trump and a "who even cares anymore" week for Hillary thanks to Trump's campaign's stupidity and poor timing.

Boke1879

Come on y'all. Y'all can't be freaking out over the new covering this Trump birther thing. All Clinton has to do is say she didn't start it and then pull out all the receipts on Trump and then pose the question of "why he believed it in the first place?"

Nice to see Sanders out there doing his thing. Gonna Bernice seeing Michelle out there as well today. Clintons event in Monday should be good as well.

Her being more visible and positive should be good.

Plinko

I actually think the average American is relatively intelligent, in general. The problem is most American's are so disenfranchised by the political system that they don't care enough to put the effort in to study issues. The have fallen into the trap that "both parties are the same/corrupt" and feel its not worth the effort to research topics and policies in depth. In summary, the problem isn't so much the intelligence of the avg. person, its the effort the avg. person is willing to invest in understanding issues (i.e. the avg person is lazy as shit and they feel its not important enough, coupled with identity politics)

I've lived in rural areas most of my life, and I disagree. My position may be biased as a result, but I also live very close to a major metropolitan area and spend a lot of time there, and I still see the same thing. Laziness is absolutely a factor, but people don't know a ton of things they probably should.

HylianTom

Banned
Psst if you think any large percentage of the human population (or really anyone that isn't missing the amygdala/etc.) ISNT using/enslaved to their limbic systems (and dopaminergic reward system too for that matter), I have a common chemical solvent for you that will take all those worries away.
I know; it's my sloppy way of throwing shade. I take pics of brains all day, and we joke like this at work.

Sanders could be a great stumper for Clinton. He just needs be allowed to talk candidly. "Look, I wanted all this. I still want all this. One day, you kids will achieve all this. And no, maybe Clinton doesn't have the ambition we did. But that's fine, because every step is another step there. Want childcare? Vote Clinton. Want environmental protection? Vote Clinton. Want a Supreme Court that can one day bring about the financial revolution we're hoping for? Vote Clinton. And the next time, we'll take that progress, and we'll build on it."

I can't think of anyone better placed to take idealism and pin it to an action than King Idealism himself. It won't work if he just talks up Clinton as though the sun shines out her arse; nobody will be buy that. He can't be the conventional stumper. But I think something that walks just the right line between acknowledging her imperfections but pointing out her strengths has that kind of appealing bluntness that drew so many to Sanders in the first place. Acknowledge her as a brilliant rival ultimately on the same path.

This is a contradiction in terms though--it's not "idealism tied to action", it's practical incrementalism. It's the antithesis of his whole campaign. Or at least he sure played it that way. I mean I probably agree more with Sanders idealistically but "practical incrementalism" is why I supported Clinton this whole time!

I agree it'd be great if he could actually walk this line but he wouldn't have run in the first place if he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom