• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
Civilisation is a mess of a word tbf. Going from civis -> civilis -> civiliser -> civilisation and being a political term the entire time means it carries so much history with it, it couldn't help to be anything other than vague. The Proto-European kewis just meant to settle down, and a civis in Latin was just a settled person (e.g. in contrast to the pastoralist people of what is now Germany). You then get civitas (location of the settled people) as a word for city and then civis narrows to specifically city person in response. As Roman thought developed, civis began to have normative as well as positive associations - for example, what are the duties of a civis, their responsibilities, their rights? And so the word civis now denotes a legal and political status whereby you are afford rights and duties as a civis of Roma/Roman citizen. Non-Romans (by which I mean the city of Rome), even those who were also Italians (as in: lived in the area named Italia), are not extended the civis until the Social Wars, but this gets extended over the centuries so that soon the whole Roman Empire has "city rights", so civis stops being the duties of someone living in the city of Rome and starts being associated with the entire Roman nation/people, so a civis is a person who has particular rights and duties afford to them by their nation (i.e.: citizen).

And so you get notions of civilis, the issues pertaining to civis (i.e., what rights? what duties?), becoming civilis (civiliser) and finally the notion of something having become civilis (civilisation). So we started with something like "settled people/not nomads", and ended up with "people who have established conceptions of what one owes their nation". Only then European refuse to accept conceptions that don't fit their own or recognize that nations don't manifest uniformly and that nation itself is a contested term, and suddenly it ends up with "people who agree with European (or sufficiently similar) conceptions of what one owes their nations", which, unsurprisingly, means only Europe counts as civilised. Funny, that.

So yeah, trash term.

But I am looking forward to Civ 6!

This is very late but thank you for this interesting post.

Nope. I just spent so much time on those two games that I'm fucking done with Pokemon. I am what they call a Pokemon Master.
As long as I can find my original copies.
Did you get Mew?

Gold and Silver were so awesome to play especially the remake. Play Heart Gold or Soul Silver.. It is a lot of fun. I'm playing Soul Silver and working on catching on legendary Pokemon. (Zapdos, Suicune down.. On to Raikou and Entei)

Right? Diamond and Pearl were amazing
They were good.. But Gold and Silver are the best with Ruby and Sapphire I would say are trash in comparison.. They aren't bad.. But the Pokemon overall weren't as good.

Now Kris is going to come in say "I don't play Video games, why are we talking about them." :)

Slizeezyc

Primary voting here in FLORIDA tomorrow y'all. Not sure when it's going down for everyone else but get out and vote when it comes up (if it hasn't already).

Also, bummer about Ohio but not unexpected so far.

Better news is the consistently solid polling for Clinton today.

Crayons

Banned
They were good.. But Gold and Silver are the best with Ruby and Sapphire I would say are trash in comparison.. They aren't bad.. But the Pokemon overall weren't as good.

Now Kris is going to come in say "I don't play Video games, why are we talking about them." :)

Well, I've actually only played Diamond & Pearl and Yellow, and Emerald actually. My first Pokemon game was Diamond.

But, like Kris, I don't play video games anymore. I just buy them and stick them on a shelf, and I occasionally glance over at them. I really haven't played video games since...two years ago? Once in a blue moon, I will, but not like I used to. Now, I'm more into arguing about politics and science.

If the light headedness is bothering you, you can see a Neurologist who will order a Tilt Table test. They basically strap you to a table and then it rotates you to standing. They can monitor your bodies response. From Mayo:

I have vasovagal syncope. If I stand still for an hour, by blood pressure gets too low, my heart tries to compensate by beating faster (all this normal so far) but instead beats too fast and I pass out.

My tilt table test was an hour of boredom followed by what felt like 30 seconds of panic and then a little euphoric pass-out.

My standard blood pressure is textbook to slightly low most of the time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I haven't listened to Rush in a while, is there a link?

Basically Limbaugh arguing that Trump isn't really flipflopping over the wall because he "never believed he was going to do it anyway."

Well, I've actually only played Diamond & Pearl and Yellow, and Emerald actually. My first Pokemon game was Diamond.

But, like Kris, I don't play video games anymore. I just buy them and stick them on a shelf, and I occasionally glance over at them. I really haven't played video games since...two years ago? Once in a blue moon, I will, but not like I used to. Now, I'm more into arguing about politics and science.
Play Heart Gold or Soul Silver (of the two.. Pick Gold because they have the better exclusive Pokemon in my opinion).

They are fun to play. I wish I could play ps4 more, but hardly have played it.

I must be the most referenced member in PoliGAF, behind PD and Adam. It's tough being infamous.
Fixed

Crayons

Banned
Play Heart Gold or Soul Silver (of the two.. Pick Gold because they have the better exclusive Pokemon in my opinion).

They are fun to play. I wish I could play ps4 more, but hardly have played it.

Oh, right...I forgot I have Soul Silver. I think I played it, beat the first gym, shelved it, and never touched it again. I'm sure it's a good game! It's just, you know, I'd rather argue about politics over beer these days. I hate being alone.

Gold and Silver were so awesome to play especially the remake. Play Heart Gold or Soul Silver.. It is a lot of fun. I'm playing Soul Silver and working on catching on legendary Pokemon. (Zapdos, Suicune down.. On to Raikou and Entei):)
i went through 5 playthroughs of soulsilver for legendaries, raised and EV trained about 30 other pokemon, and had 10 shinies. All this had cost me, no hyperbole, at least 800 hours of playtime across soulsilver and X. I put all of these in pokemon bank, because I was selling my 3ds and buying the newer revision.

Pokemon bank needs both systems to be able to transfer. I lost everything

I love Soul Silver because that generation has my two favorite Pokemon:

Togepi and Flaafy. GOAT Pokemon.

Don't start with me, fam. Don't even come for me.

i keep forgetting i have heartgold

for that matter i keep forgetting i even have a (3)DS

I had a New 3DS, I got rid of it because I never played it. I bought the boys each a 2DS so they'd stop taking our phones to play Pokemon Go and play a good Pokemon game. Those things are so boss, I went out and bought me one. I got them on special at Walmart for like $50 with Mario Kart 7. I downloaded Pokemon Red and Blue for them....but they just want to play X and Y.

Wilsongt

Real talk.

Can we all agree Gen IV is trash and B&W are the best modern games?

Gen III and Gen IV are trash. I at least beat Gen IV. Black/White were actually really good. I liked how you had to use all new Pokemon up to the Elite 4 as opposed to relying on the staples of the past gens. Plus, wild Pokemon scaled with you as opposed to being 40 levels lower even in the final areas.

Gen II will always be the best, though.

Emarv

X & Y are solid games but B&W has you teaming up with all the gym leaders you beat to take down the big bad in a castle. It's like they finally snuck in some Final Fantasy/real RPG into a Pokemon game.

Crayons

Banned
I had a New 3DS, I got rid of it because I never played it. I bought the boys each a 2DS so they'd stop taking our phones to play Pokemon Go and play a good Pokemon game. Those things are so boss, I went out and bought me one. I got them on special at Walmart for like $50 with Mario Kart 7. I downloaded Pokemon Red and Blue for them....but they just want to play X and Y.

Holy shit, that's a good deal. Too bad I don't shop at Walmart. Ugh. Filthy bourgeoisie capitalist pigs exploiting the working poor...

My favorite is Gen II, especially the remakes. There's just so much game in them. So much. After that, I like Black/White and Black 2/White 2 and X and Y. X and Y is a bit easy, but it's just a great game, overall.

Gruco

Banned
Real talk.

Gen 4 is a little slow, and Sinnoh is a mess, but it's mostly fine, I guess.

Gen 5 is definitely the best gen though, and Black 2 is easily, easily, easily the best Pokemon game on the strength of the massive postgame + challenge mode.

Crayons

Banned
I really liked Gen 4! Granted, it was the first gen I played and also the only one I actually beat. Though, I got more than halfway through Yellow.

Gen 4 is a little slow, and Sinnoh is a mess, but it's mostly fine, I guess.

Gen 5 is definitely the best gen though, and Black 2 is easily, easily, easily the best Pokemon game on the strength of the massive postgame + challenge mode.

My best team ever was in Black 2. I loved that game. I think I played it four or five tiems through.

Emarv

Biggest proof Gen IV is disposable: No one will be sad when Game Freak skips it a remake and just remakes Gen 1/2 or Gen V next (if they remake any more at all).

Confession: I am a bit of a Gen III apologist. I just really like how fast it plays. I ran through that game really quickly like 4 times back in High School. One of my biggest gripes with Gen IV was how slow it felt after coming from III.

Dat Piplup, tho. Adorbs.

Debirudog

Gen V sucked. So many garbage pokemon.

Don't trash on Garbodor. :(

tumblr_ng1hzkmA7W1s8y2kyo1_400.jpg

Real talk.

Agreed. So many great designs in Gen V: Whimsicott, Reuniclus, Braviary, Sandile/Krokorok, Dwebble, Joltik/Galvantula, Litwick+Chandelure, etc. Plus, dat music~ Route 10, Village Bridge, N's Farewell, and so much other good stuff. And a great post-game to boot. PokeStar Studios was so fun to just mess around with~ Not to mention much-needed gameplay enhancements like finally making TMs infinite use. I can't go back to pre Gen-V games for that alone.

In comparison, Sinnoh was just... meh. It really was just kinda there. It wasn't bad per se; it just wasn't memorable in any particular way and kind of boring to me, which is almost worse. I will definitely give it introducing the Rotom forms and Shaymin-S though (or rather, Platinum I suppose). Those are fun~

besada

Banned
I was pleased by Clinton's recently released mental health care plan, which should be getting more attention. I hope she can get it done, and rapidly. The cost of mental health care has gone nuts since its mandatory inclusion in plans. Companies are getting plans with higher and higher deductibles, separated from your regular deductible, and numerous psychologists have simply stopes taking insurance altogether. It's one of those things that seems expensive until you understand how much not providing for the mental health of citizens is already costing us in dollars and lives.

So good on Clinton.

Real talk.

Never played black and white or x and y

Gen 3 is trash.. Even with Fire Red and Leaf Green because the post game kind of blows and the fact that you couldn't evolve Pokemon until you got the national dex is really bullshit (like Golbat into Crobat for example Why?) And then you go to the sevii islands and they were just so.. Boring. There isn't a lot there and the big quest is just to get the ruby and sapphire to trade to Pokemon Coliseum and XD. Whoop Dee do.

I rather have had a Yellow remake because Yellow was fun as shit just pretending you were Ash and actually being a winner instead of a jobber.

Gen III and Gen IV are trash. I at least beat Gen IV. Black/White were actually really good. I liked how you had to use all new Pokemon up to the Elite 4 as opposed to relying on the staples of the past gens. Plus, wild Pokemon scaled with you as opposed to being 40 levels lower even in the final areas.

Gen II will always be the best, though.
2 is the best, 4 is great because HGSS adds all the shit they didn't add originally like the safari zone or the original three legendary birds.

Three sucks because Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Dex is just.. Not as good as one/two

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What I always hoped GameFreak would do at some point is, instead of the Elite Four, have a Pokemon League Tournament. You'd play through the game and meet like 16 or 32 named trainers, or just a handful of them, your rival being among them, and then have a little in-game tournament. Just like the anime. Have some 3v3 then go to 6v6, or make it singles or doubles, and maybe have a number of special stages with weather or terrain that can't be changed. That way no matter how often you play through the game, you'll never really know what's coming at you once you get 8 badges. From there maybe unlock the Elite Four and have you go around finding and challenging them.

I was pleased by Clinton's recently released mental health care plan, which should be getting more attention. I hope she can get it done, and rapidly. The cost of mental health care has gone nuts since its mandatory inclusion in plans. Companies are getting plans with higher and higher deductibles, separated from your regular deductible, and numerous psychologists have simply stopes taking insurance altogether. It's one of those things that seems expensive until you understand how much not providing for the mental health of citizens is already costing us in dollars and lives.

So good on Clinton.

I'd be really nice if she could get that, and a few of her other smaller, proposals done. Like half the smaller proposals in her platform are pretty "no shit we should be doing this" level that everyone should be able to get together on. Sadly, knowing Congress...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom