• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. A well run press conference is a really good way to get all sorts of questions answered. Unfortunately I can't blame the Clinton camp for not holding any since all the questions would be about the e-mails or Huma's marriage.

Yeah, meritless or not, there's no valid reason to think you're above press conferences.

It allows for a deeper line of questioning.

A deeper line of questioning than a one-on-one interview?

The value of press conferences is that they give a lot of outlets very shallow access to a candidate. They are not a great vehicle for in depth questioning. It's easier to be evasive in a press conference than it is in a one on one interview.

If the Clinton campaign said "ok we'll have a press conference, 3 questions on the emails, 3 questions on the foundation and move along" I would defend them.

But she's running out the clock with the press conferences, she doesn't trust the press and guess (prob. correctly) that it will be about emails and the foundation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, meritless or not, there's no valid reason to think you're above press conferences.

Can you really blame them for not holding any though? It's going to be 100% e-mails, foundation bullshit, and questions about Huma's marriage.

A deeper line of questioning than a one-on-one interview?

The value of press conferences is that they give a lot of outlets very shallow access to a candidate. They are not a great vehicle for in depth questioning. It's easier to be evasive in a press conference than it is in a one on one interview.

If you give 3 reporters the same answer to a question odds are they'll each have a unique follow up based on their own reporting. There's definitely situations where everyone would want to ask the same question though.

Anyone here ever been polled? I've never been and I'm sure I can look up the process, but I'm curious about others' experiences.

I have quite a few times, both live survey and IVR polls. It takes a while, especially because the rules require they read everything to you verbatim. But, it's interesting.experience. They just ask you the questions in the survey, and then some demographic ones at the end, typically.

This. A well run press conference is a really good way to get all sorts of questions answered. Unfortunately I can't blame the Clinton camp for not holding any since all the questions would be about the e-mails or Huma's marriage.

Can someone really point to a press conference that really reveals something revelatory? I seriously can not really think of one. Investigative reporting does, press conferences are some weird ritualistic thing that makes people believe that this proves people are accountable to the press.

the best possible outcome of a press conference would be more weiner jokes from howard sterns people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdU56DzcwM

So they might not be useful but you still have to do them? That's like the definition of useless ritual

Press conferences are for crisis response. Idk why you randomly need to be shouted questions you've already answered

Edit: daily press conferences in the white house serve a different purpose because the president isn't able to constantly respond to press inquiries has he/she's doing president stuff

Keepin' It 1600 said that it normally wouldn't be a problem not holding a press conference, just at this point they probably should just to say they've had one.

dramatis

If they time the press conference right before the debate, maybe they could direct what the questions asked at the debate would be

So they might not be useful but you still have to do them? That's like the definition of useless ritual

Let her stand up there and keep giving the exact same rad-ass answer she gave to Anderson until they stop asking.

Obama neutralizes nonsense right and left in press conferences.

It's an OPPORTUNITY to derail stupid witch hunts and her refusal to take part in them literally fuels every stupid nothing burger getting thrown at her.

Infuriating AND avoidable.

Fox318

n0JIui3.jpg

Keepin' It 1600 said that it normally wouldn't be a problem not holding a press conference, just at this point they probably should just to say they've had one.

I don't believe obama really had many, if any in 2012.

Let her stand up there and keep giving the exact same rad-ass answer she gave to Anderson until they stop asking.

It's an OPPORTUNITY to derail stupid witch hunts and her refusal to take part in them literally fuels every stupid nothing burger getting thrown at her.

They've had at least 3-4 press conferences on the emails, benghazi testimony, FBI notes, the emails released, hundreds of reponses in one-on-ones.

They're not gonna stop. Why should she give a press conference on emails? She's done them and they'res nothing new

Emarv

Can someone really point to a press conference that really reveals something revelatory? I seriously can not really think of one. Investigative reporting does, press conferences are some weird ritualistic thing that makes people believe that this proves people are accountable to the press.

the best possible outcome of a press conference would be more weiner jokes from howard sterns people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdU56DzcwM

Trump's press conferences have revealed some interesting stuff. Like how Jim Acosta is a real beauty!

Press conferences can be valuable to stump figures or at least make them think out loud. Dickerson getting Bush to reflect on mistakes is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haQzdW7hg4A

Can you really blame them for not holding any though? It's going to be 100% e-mails, foundation bullshit, and questions about Huma's marriage.

If you give 3 reporters the same answer to a question odds are they'll each have a unique follow up based on their own reporting. There's definitely situations where everyone would want to ask the same question though.

It just rarely seems to work out that way. Press conferences, by their very nature, are chaotic. It's easy for a politician to hide in that chaos. I think a more apt criticism of Clinton is that she has not done enough one-on-one interviews (Cooper's was the first in a while) and that she has limited the traveling press' access in general.

If she's going to do one at all, it's got to happen Friday, right? If she doesn't do one on the Friday before Labor Day weekend, it's not happening. I think she should have done one during the Olympics and got it over with.

Look, I understand why Clinton isn't having press conferences and it's a good move strategically. But there is a reason for them and it's not the same as a press gaggle.

So unless there is a drastic surprise, Hillary is going to be president, because Michigan isn't happening for GOP this time around.

Essentially. Trump needs to win PA or MI and those are really unlikely.

Does michigan have enought white people to overcome trumps unfavorables with non-whites and college-educated?
Not unless there is some crazy change in turnout. (There won't be)

Really? I thought the polling in VA was really good.
I'm pretty sure he meant it is unlikely for Trump.

lenovox1

Boy, Clinton has played this game since the early 90s. She knows this.

She has a deep distrust of the press and believes that they are against her and will turn something innocuous into a big deal. She will not be doing any press conferences at this point in the campaign unless there is a crisis.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the way the Serious Press has covered the Weiner thing is legitimately disgusting. How dare these bastions of liberal (lowercase l) western values frame this in such a clearly sexist and heteronormative way.

Fuck the NYT. Embarrassing.

Maine (4)
Vermont (3)
Massachusetts (11)
Rhode Island (4)
Connecticut (7)
New York (29)
Pennsylvania (20)
New Jersey (14)
Delaware (3)
Maryland (10)
DC (3)
Virginia (13)
Michigan (16)
Illinois (20)
Wisconsin (10)
Minnesota (10)
New Mexico (5)
Colorado (9)
California (55)
Oregon (7)
Washington (12)
= 269 (268 if you don't think she has ME-02 locked up)

Pick another swing state and she has it, if she wins all of those.

Boy, Clinton has played this game since the early 90s. She knows this.

She has a deep distrust of the press and believes that they are against her and will turn something innocuous into a big deal. She will not be doing any press conferences at this point in the campaign unless there is a crisis.

lmao

"Boy"??

I don't think these fears are entirely unfounded. This year has proven that pretty clearly.

Obama and Bobby Gibbs got crazy shit from the press in the early days too.

CJ Cregg never backed down, even when she had to punch a wall or two.

Avoiding press conferences just reinforces the narrative that you have something to hide.

The other problem with doing a press conference now is that the story becomes about how she's doing a press conference.

(I think she should bite the bullet and do one)

The other problem with doing a press conference now is that the story becomes about how she's doing a press conference.

1600 podcast had a good point about that, and that if she starts doing small daily press availabilities, it diminishes the story of her having a PC

Diablos

If there's any swing state Trump could pick off it would be MI, I would think.

OH Senate numbers are cause for concern. How does Strickland suck so bad that Hillary is poised to win the state while Dems are giving up on him? Just doesn't seem right...

lenovox1

So she does one if the polls start to dip and then the story is that's the only reason she wants to "expose herself"?

Such a stupid position for her campaign to take.

I don't think this is something any demographic other than white moderates and white independents (+Trump voters, of course) actually care about.

Not to discount an entire demographic, but absolutely none of this will matter after the September debates.

BenjaminBirdie, you should know more than anyone that if this was an issue effecting her polling figures, she already would have many press conferences. No one really cares, except for the press.

So she does one if the polls start to dip and then the story is that's the only reason she wants to "expose herself"?

Such a stupid position for her campaign to take.

Like it or not, it's working for them. The more controlled the message is, the less risk of a blunder.

If she's +5 nationally and on path to win, what benefits are there to a press conference? Are voters demanding a press conference? Will this significantly change her favorables? How many voters will she persuade by doing a press conference, when she's up?

It's political calculus plain and simple, I don't blame them for not doing press conferences, Trump doesn't release his tax returns which is far more important than a press conference.

Wilsongt

Oh boy. Remember that terrible blackface picture the pastor tweeted yesterday?

During a Tuesday morning appearance on Fox News, Burns acknowledged that “the blackface imagery has been used in the past and it is offensive to African Americans, but my message, I stand behind it.”
He said “the real offense” is that many minority families in America “don’t know where their next meal is coming from.”

Fox News host Martha MacCullum then suggested Burns made a good point with his blackface tweet, saying he “used that blackface, which you explained, to say that you thought that she, in this case, is pandering to black voters.”

MacCullum told Burns she “thought it was interesting” that the media wanted to ask him about “the blackface part” of his tweet, but not “the underlying stuff of what you’re talking about — the violence that exists in our inner cities, the fact that more black people are killed my members of their own black community in our inner cities, that that is the issue that plagues them more than any other.” She then read a quote from Trump before Burns jumped back in and accused liberals of “playing the race card.”

Teggy

Something I wasn't aware about until yesterday was that neither candidate allows the press to travel with them on their planes and that has not happened before.

SUCH A STUPID POSITION

HILLARY IS SUCH A DUMB CANDIDATE. SO STUPID.

WHY DOESN'T ROBBIE MOOK LISTEN TO ME? DOESN'T ROBBIE MOOK KNOW I'M SMARTER THAN HIM?

UGH. DUMB.

AndyD

aka andydumi

This is my approach on this too. So what if it's junk questions, let her respond and confront the media on it. Or do small scale appearances. 2-3 reporters at a time from different places not dozens.

They aren't having fun as much as they are shamelessly self-promoting. I would rather polling companies get recognized by the quality of their polls rather than their shitty prop polls.

They've been on point for quite some time regarding their polling and have been recognized as such.

It's hurting polling, tells us nothing, and actively makes peoples true views more obscure. It hurts polling and only gives fodder for stupid message board jokes and false moral superiority

I agree it tell us nothing, they're joke polls after all, but I don't understand how it hurts polling as a whole.

It only inflates the narrative of the most manipulative and evil representatives of the right: Liberals think you're stupid backwards idiots and they're laughing at you.

Polls like this are what get reporters spit on and worse at Trump rallies.

But, yes, please, lets let PPP have "fun". I'm totally sure a reporter won't be murdered by the time all this is through.

I mean you just used the most massive snowball ever that ended with a reporter getting murdered because PPP is poking fun at people who think things they shouldn't be thinking.

I guess I appreciate some levity right now. This election has been pretty depressing in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom