• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said tonight that every illegal immigrant must go back, EVERY
That doesn't meant he's going to deport them! He's been playing this game since forever! They have to go back if they want to get legalization. But if I am illegal and I say "no", what is he going to do???? Why doesn't he just say it!

WHAT IS HE GOING TO DO TO HYLIAN HISTORIAN?

pigeon

Banned
That doesn't meant he's going to deport them! He's been playing this game since forever! They have to go back if they want to get legalization. But if I am illegal and I say "no", what is he going to do???? Why doesn't he just say it!

Is this a joke? Are you just trolling because some people somehow still don't know you're kristoffer and it's your last chance?

You're trolling, right?

Just an observation that I find it funny. Everyone keeps mentioning Arizona having a hard line immigration policy in the last decade. Last time a state did that hard rightward lurch on immigration, it became a true blue state and never looked back: California. The Republicans there are an endangered species, even in their stronghold in OC.

Pedophiles on 8chan and Reddit are easier to argue with than pedophiles on other places online

Pedophiles on 8chan and Reddit self expose themselves with "Ephebophile" nowadays unlike those people that throw out libertarian ideas they don't believe that don't apply to the situation.

Is this a joke? Are you just trolling because some people somehow still don't know you're kristoffer and it's your last chance?
I'm not trolling! We've been talking about this for two weeks now. Two weeks ago, he said it's too hard to round up eleven million people. And people left his meeting thinking he was understanding of the situation. And now he gives this speech. Fuck! I know it's so obvious to everyone here but it's just not to me! I feel like he's saying he'll deport everyone here illegally without having to say so because it's politically messy. But if that's the case, why were we all waiting for this speech? Why did the Latino community leaders feel an understanding? What was the point of anything for two weeks?!

Emarv

Just an observation that I find it funny. Everyone keeps mentioning Arizona having a hard line immigration policy in the last decade. Last time a state did that hard rightward lurch on immigration, it became a true blue state and never looked back: California. The Republicans there are an endangered species.

Stevens said similar things tonight.

stuart stevens
‏@stuartpstevens
In the mid-1990's, Ca. Republicans decided Hispanics were a threat. Tx. Republicans embraced them. R's can't win in Ca. & can't lose in Tx.

In other news, I wonder where Hillary would be deported to in Trump's theoretical Clinton deportation.

Iolo

"Never had Mr. Trump gambled quite like this" oddly is the most objectionable part to me of that dumb original article. It rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

They've changed the story somewhat. The first three paragraphs before:

5l4Egs3.jpg

And after:

pOighVK.png
Still doesn't reconcile with CNN's headline "Trump: There will be no amnesty" or Politico's "Trump promises wall and massive deportation program".

User1608

Banned
Trump is a two-faced coward.

DEPORT!!!11

Seriously, he is going to attempt to deport everybody if he wins and gets his way.

Teggy

Kellyanne Conway
Kellyanne Conway‏ @KellyannePolls

#NYT offers props. Read 1st two paragraphs especially Donald Trump Gambles on Immigration in Mexico an

Surprise, Conway linked to the NYT article before it was corrected. She should probably have written "read ONLY the first two paragraphs" because now it links to the new version.

itschris

Politico: Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support

Several major Latino surrogates for Donald Trump are reconsidering their support for him following the Republican nominee’s hardline speech on immigration Wednesday night.

Jacob Monty, a member of Trump’s National Hispanic Advisory Council, has resigned, and Alfonso Aguilar, the president of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, said in an interview that he is “inclined” to pull his support.

“I was a strong supporter of Donald Trump when I believed he was going to address the immigration problem realistically and compassionately,” said Monty, a Houston attorney who has aggressively made the Latino case for Trump. “What I heard today was not realistic and not compassionate.”

He withdrew from the board following Trump’s speech in Phoenix, which was heavy on calls for border security and emphasized that all immigrants in the country illegally were subject to deportation.

Brinbe

The mass market journalism establishment as a whole has been pretty fucking awful this cycle. They don't know how to handle Trump at all and have continually played right into his hands at every opportunity. He's coasted past every controversy that would immediately disqualify other candidates because Trump attracts attention and eyeballs. And as long as that happens, he could shoot a man dead in the street and still be a viable candidate until the very end. He's a media-enabled Teflon Don.

Joan Walsh gets it.

EgWWlr0.png

And I actually have a University degree in journalism/media studies, so this is sad as fuck to watch.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not trolling! We've been talking about this for two weeks now. Two weeks ago, he said it's too hard to round up eleven million people. And people left his meeting thinking he was understanding of the situation. And now he gives this speech. Fuck! I know it's so obvious to everyone here but it's just not to me! I feel like he's saying he'll deport everyone here illegally without having to say so because it's politically messy. But if that's the case, why were we all waiting for this speech? Why did the Latino community leaders feel an understanding? What was the point of anything for two weeks?!

Somebody (probably Conway) has been deliberately telling everybody that there's a pivot coming and laying a ton of groundwork for it.

Just turned out that she was wrong because she doesn't run the campaign.

Emarv

Somebody (probably Conway) has been deliberately telling everybody that there's a pivot coming and laying a ton of groundwork for it.

Just turned out that she was wrong because she doesn't run the campaign.
Yup. She specifically walked back Deportation Force rhetoric over the past two weeks, only to be wrong here.

She's basically just a glorified surrogate who tried to get him to reach out to minority communities but doesn't have any sway over him.

Bannon is in charge.

NYT with a dunce hat atm. You know what we should kickstart? A daily 20 minute newscast in the vein of Edward R Murrow's See It Now, complete with black and white video and a middle-aged guy in pinstriped suit smoking cigarettes while delivering a serious, introspective rebuttal to everyday crap. No shit panels with shit pundits throwing shit at each other while Chuck Todd masturbates to bubu both sides negative campaigning reports. I'd watch it everyday rather than see our bumblefuck media prance around to the tune of whatever their corporate masters deemed newsworthy.

Forgot about the speech and was playing Danganronpa this evening, which is a detective game where an anthropomorphic devil bear manipulates kids into murdering one another in a jailed environment. Having now caught up, the game is somehow more hopeful and less hateful than this speech was.

Debirudog

Starting to wonder if Conway is simply there to sideline how awful Bannon really is. She appears all over TV, so she's given more presence which is better than for Bannon to show up at all.

Emarv

Maggie NYT has some reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/01/us/politics/trump-campaign.html

Her twitter summary of the reporting.
Trump, facing plummeting fortunes, was urged to make a big change. He tried today, but couldn't sustain it

The quarterback/progenitor of Trump's speech was Jared Kushner, who began negotiations w Mexican govt weeks ago

People close to Trump have become increasingly blunt with him that his candidacy is in troubled territory

Kushner began discussions of the Mexico trip while Paul Manafort was still running the campaign, per people briefed

Most people in Trump's close circle supported his Mexico trip, w a notable exception: Roger Ailes, who urged caution

Christie and Giuliani urged him to go, and worked w him on language.

Trump was concerned about whether Nieto would try to show him up, and whether he would be able to keep the speech

But hours after visiting Mexico, Trump delivered one of the most restrictive addresses he's given about immigration

she's still actively tweeting about it, but largely stuff covered in the piece. more being added at the time of posting this.

Her twitter here: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT

NYT with a dunce hat atm. You know what we should kickstart? A daily 20 minute newscast in the vein of Edward R Murrow's See It Now, complete with black and white video and a middle-aged guy in pinstriped suit smoking cigarettes while delivering a serious, introspective rebuttal to everyday crap. No shit panels with shit pundits throwing shit at each other while Chuck Todd masturbates to bubu both sides negative campaigning reports. I'd watch it everyday rather than see our bumblefuck media prance around to the tune of whatever their corporate masters deemed newsworthy.

royalan

I wouldn't be surprised if Conway quits in the next few weeks.

I would be surprised if that happened.

Don't forget, Conway is the same surrogate who was spitting the hottest fire at Trump in the service of Ted Cruz, only to start stumping for Trump barely two weeks after Cruz dropped out. Her integrity is down the toilet, as well. This is right up her alley.

I'm still not convince all of this wasn't part of the plan. Conway is the front presence, frantically spinning everything for the media. Bannon is the behind-the-scenes machinations.

Then WHY DOESNT HE JUST SAY THE MAGIC WORDS ALREADY. I AM SO CONFUSED BY TRUMP. WHAT DOES HE WANT TO DO.

Someone just needs to ask him straight up "Are you going to deport non-criminal illegal immigrants or not?"

He wants to confuse you. His whole MO is confusing policy mixed with Strongman Rhetoric. That's the Trump cocktail.

If someone asks him straight up he will give a non answer in a tone that he thinks will please his current audience.

I didn't even know prewrites are a thing...

Prewrites make the world go round. All sports journalists have their stories written by the 3rd quarter. Places like the NYT have files full of prewritten Obituaries for politicians and celebs.

Iolo

I think the simpler explanation is Trump hires people and pits them against each other, and takes advice first from one then the other. So he followed Conway for a bit and now he's back to Bannon and Sessions. Not that this was some master plan to deceive with Conway on the front end and Bannon on the back end.

He wants to confuse you. His whole MO is confusing policy mixed with Strongman Rhetoric. That's the Trump cocktail.

If someone asks him straight up he will give a non answer in a tone that he thinks will please his current audience.

"Mr trump do you support ending ties with kazakhstan over Borat?"
"we're gonna look into it"

I found the mass deportation line. This is the only reference to the fate of 11 million immigrants in his entire speech. Two small paragraphs.

In a Trump Administration, all immigration laws will be enforced. As with any law enforcement activity, we will set priorities. But, unlike this Administration, no one will be immune or exempt from enforcement – and ICE and Border Patrol officers will be allowed to do their jobs. Anyone who has entered the United States illegally is subject to deportation – that is what it means to have laws and to have a country.

Our enforcement priorities will include removing criminals, gang members, security threats, visa overstays, public charges – that is, those relying on public welfare or straining the safety net, along with millions of recent illegal arrivals and overstays who’ve come here under the current Administration.

Somehow, this was not the most important detail?

I would be surprised if that happened.

Don't forget, Conway is the same surrogate who was spitting the hottest fire at Trump in the service of Ted Cruz, only to start stumping for Trump barely two weeks after Cruz dropped out. Her integrity is down the toilet, as well. This is right up her alley.

I'm still not convince all of this wasn't part of the plan. Conway is the front presence, frantically spinning everything for the media. Bannon is the behind-the-scenes machinations.

The bold makes her more likely to bolt in my opinion. People without loyalty to the cause, so to speak, are basically mercenaries. No one on Trump's team cares about the guy himself but his family, and to extend that, no one including Trump himself in this campaign actually cares what happens to the GOP after this is over. People who don't care are quick to flee.

I think the simpler explanation is Trump hires people and pits them against each other, and takes advice first from one then the other. So he followed Conway for a bit and now he's back to Bannon and Sessions. Not that this was some master plan to deceive with Conway on the front end and Bannon on the back end.

I think this is probably accurate. Trump seems like a boardroom sort of leader. He gathers these people together to argue in front of him, and he picks the "winner" based on his own criteria. It's likely why he never liked Manafort; the guy probably didn't jive with Trump's own ideas of how to successfully argue his case.

I bet if you walked up to Trump on the street and said, "Hey Mr. Trump, those people you've got right now aren't very good. I could get in there and really show the staff how to box it out with Hillary. Really strong, really "pull no punches" stuff. Make her look weak and you come out looking like a billion* dollars. Whaddaya say?" he'd hire you for your passion.

*This is intentionally buttering him up since he values his own net worth so much. Like, really enunciate and make it clear that you're saying billion, not million.

royalan

The bold makes her more likely to bolt in my opinion. People without loyalty to the cause, so to speak, are basically mercenaries. No one on Trump's team cares about the guy himself but his family, and to extend that, no one including Trump himself in this campaign actually cares what happens to the GOP after this is over. People who don't care are quick to flee.

I think this is probably accurate. Trump seems like a boardroom sort of leader. He gathers these people together to argue in front of him, and he picks the "winner" based on his own criteria. It's likely why he never liked Manafort; the guy probably didn't jive with Trump's own ideas of how to successfully argue his case.

I bet if you walked up to Trump on the street and said, "Hey Mr. Trump, those people you've got right now aren't very good. I could get in there and really show the staff how to box it out with Hillary. Really strong, really "pull no punches" stuff. Make her look weak and you come out looking like a billion* dollars. Whaddaya say?" he'd hire you for your passion.

*This is intentionally buttering him up since he values his own net worth so much. Like, really enunciate and make it clear that you're saying billion, not million.

But aren't both Bannon and Conway stipulations from Robert Mercer, who's now a Trump donor? (unless Rachel Maddow lied to me. :( )

I found the mass deportation line. This is the only reference to the fate of 11 million immigrants in his entire speech. Two small paragraphs.

Somehow, this was not the most important detail?

The most important detail was when the crowd chanted "Build that Wall". It's like you haven't been paying attention to the last 18 months.

Debirudog

Prewrites make the world go round. All sports journalists have their stories written by the 3rd quarter. Places like the NYT have files full of prewritten Obituaries for politicians and celebs.
Well this is embarrassing since I'm a journalist student... >_<

I can see why pre-writes exist but this story is heavily inappropriate for a pre-write when the campaign didn't even give a transcript to the speech at all. How can you pre-write something you're not even sure what's gonna happen???

Well this is embarrassing since I'm a journalist student... >_<

I can see why pre-writes exist but this story is heavily inappropriate for a pre-write when the campaign didn't even give a transcript to the speech at all. How can you pre-write something you're not even sure what's gonna happen???
Quite true that the Trump campaign isn't the sort of thing you'd ever want to rely on a pre-write for... NYT should know better than that. And I mean ever, to say nothing of an unknown speech.

Crocodile

The AP got dumped on by the Times and the Post for their article, though!

I do expect better from the NYT, and as I keep saying, I feel like liberals are starting to have an epistemic closure problem with regards to the media. No matter what the papers or cable news says, every response is "they just want a horserace! They're creating a narrative! The truth doesn't matter to them!"

This strikes me as a poor and one-dimensional mental model of how newsrooms actually work, but it also strikes me as just demonstrably false given the coverage that Trump has actually received over the course of this campaign. There are certainly things that have surprised me -- this article is one, and the alt-right speech coverage was another -- but they surprised me mainly because most of Trump's coverage has in fact been overwhelmingly negative.

I will note that the surprising articles I mentioned all seemed to come out after Conway/Bannon got hired, so it's possible they know how to play the media properly (that is supposed to be Bannon's stock in trade) and they're flipping the script, I guess. But I don't know that I have enough data to conclude that yet.

I think part of it is that Trump isn't a McCain or Romney tier candidate. He's so obviously racist, sexist, incompetent candidate that the fact that other people don't see this obvious truth legit confuses liberals. So they have to try to figure out "how isn't this man disqualified yet? Even if you're a conservative you should hate his guts!"

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
stuart stevens
&#8207;@stuartpstevens
In the mid-1990's, Ca. Republicans decided Hispanics were a threat. Tx. Republicans embraced them. R's can't win in Ca. & can't lose in Tx.

Texas Republicans embraced Hispanics? I mean, yeah okay Dubya was pretty decent to them. But who has given them the time of day over the past 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom