• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have such a skip in my step this morning. After spending the last week being a therapist for all my friends who were certain last night was going to be the end of the reupblic, it feels good to see everyone calm and content.

I give Trump a 50/50 chance of skipping the rest of the debates at this point. The coverage last night was pretty universally brutal and Hilary is going to go for the kill over the next week.

I think the media finally can put the whole "pivot" narrative to rest. It was bullshit after the primary, it was bullshit after the insane fascism filled RNC, and it was bullshit last night. If you aren't going to change your tune in front of the largest viewing audience in the history of world politics then you aren't ever going to change your tune.

I love the Breitbart poll showing Clinton won, and then they have to diminish their own poll by saying that 95 percent of people are already decided. Why even conduct a poll if you are just going to ignore it if it doesn't suit your alt right agenda?

ctothej

"Undecideds" on my Facebook are saying that there was no winner last night.

Of course, given that these "undecideds" come from the rural Ohio town I was born in, this means that Trump got his fucking ass beat. ;)

I think the debate had the greatest impact on Trump-leaning undecideds. It reinforced the notion that it's not acceptable to vote for him. This could be really good for Senate races if it depresses conservative-independent turnout.

Boke1879

Crap, that scared me for a second. I thought there is no way she is losing in Hawaii. And if she really was, it would be a Trump landslide like 1984.

Probably won't see anything significant polling wise until Thursday. Debate plus Clinton being clearly visible should hopefully boost some numbers.

Sibylus

Banned
How did deplorables not come up last night?

There was an easy set up when Hillary said we should go high, not low. He could have easily jumped in and said "would you say calling half of America Deplorable as going high?"

But he was so unfocused and so angry, he didn't even mention it.

Come to think of it, Benghazi and the Clinton Foundation didn't come up either. Trump really didn't prepare at all, did he?

Unless he can get a handle on his ego for the first time in seven decades, no amount of prep will divert him from constantly being on the defensive wrt his foibles.

how does she bait him a townhall when the audience ask questions?

The same way, with a little comment during an answer that sets him off. Imagine if she says something like "I've been married for x amount of years," or "when me and Bill started out we were so poor. Like many Americans we would have loved to have inherited a fortune but we had to work hard and make our own success."

BTW I'd bet money that the Clinton camp has been trying for months to plant a disabled person in the crowd, or the parent of a disabled child. A live town hall is the perfect opportunity to destroy Trump on his comments about the disabled NYT journalist.

PBY

Banned
The same way, with a little comment during an answer that sets him off. Imagine if she says something like "I've been married for x amount of years," or "when me and Bill started out we were so poor. Like many Americans we would have loved to have inherited a fortune but we had to work hard and make our own success."

BTW I'd bet money that the Clinton camp has been trying for months to plant a disabled person in the crowd, or the parent of a disabled child. A live town hall is the perfect opportunity to destroy Trump on his comments about the disabled NYT journalist.

Is there interaction between the candidates at the town hall debate? like is it just a normal debate with audience questions? or more like the primary town halls?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That would be absolutely amazing.

Near the end of the first presidential debate on Monday, Hillary Clinton went after Donald Trump for repeatedly mocking the weight of 1996 Miss Universe winner Alicia Machado.

“He called this woman ‘Miss Piggy.’ Then he called her ‘Miss Housekeeping,’ because she was Latina,” Clinton said.

Trump responded at the debate with, “Where did you find this?” and the next morning told Fox News, “She was the winner and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem. Not only that — her attitude. And we had a real problem with her.”
In fact, Trump made a huge spectacle of Machado’s weight gain after she won the competition in 1996. During a February 1997 interview with Howard Stern uncovered by BuzzFeed News, Trump laughed as Stern viciously mocked Machado for gaining weight. Trump called her “eating machine” and said “she ate a lot of everything.”

Stern introduces the topic by saying, “The Miss Universe, it turns out, the woman who won last year, blows up to a fat pig. I mean, like obese.”

Trump can be heard chuckling in the background as Stern recapped the events.

“You whipped this fat slob into shape,” Stern continued. “I don’t know how you did it. I see all these diet plans, everything else. God bless you. You whipped her into shape, and you held the whole pageant together. Congratulations.”

“Well, that was an amazing one,” Trump responded. “She went from 118 to almost 170.”

“And you got her right down again to 118, didn’t you?,” asked Stern.

“Well, she’s going to be there,” replied Trump. “She’s probably 145 or something.”

Trump and Stern said Machado looked beautiful when she won. “Right,” said Trump.

“She gained about 55 pounds in a period of nine months. She was like an eating machine.”

“What does a girl eat in less than a year to gain [55 pounds]?” Stern asked.
“I think she ate a lot of everything,” answered Trump.

Trump boasted of how he turned Machado’s weight loss into public scene. “It has become a major event,” he said.

Trump also told Newsweek at the time, “We’ve tried diet, spa, a trainer, incentives. Forget it, the way she’s going, she’d eat the whole gymnasium.”

Trump even invited reporters to the gym to watch Machado exercise, hoping to turn Machado’s attempts to lose weight into “a big event,” he would say. “You really have an obligation to stay in a perfect physical state,” Trump added.

Machado told the Washington Post at the time she was caught by surprise about reporters being present. “I asked him to please send me to a trainer or a nutritionist or something because I needed some orientation, and he sends me to a gym in New York,” she said. “When I get there, there are 80 reporters waiting to watch me sweat. I thought that was in very bad taste.”

In his book, the Art of the Comeback, Trump shot back, aggressively at the beauty queen, calling her “plumply.”

“I could just see Alicia Machado, the current Miss Universe, sitting there plumply. God, what problems I had with this woman,” Trump wrote in his 1997 book. “First, she wins. Second, she gains 50 pounds. Third, I urge the committee not to fire her. Fourth, I go to the gym with her, in a show of support. Final act: She trashes me in The Washington Post — after I stood by her the entire time. What’s wrong with this picture? Anyway, the best part about the evening was the knowledge that next year, she would no longer be Miss Universe.”

This man is the most psychotic misogynist you could possibly find.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkacz...e-an-eating-ma?utm_term=.eqANbYk06#.fne53bAmO

Is there interaction between the candidates at the town hall debate? like is it just a normal debate with audience questions? or more like the primary town halls?

Considering "please proceed governor" came from a town hall, there's a bit of banter between the candidates.

I think the format is a disaster waiting to happen for Trump, personally. 1:1 speaking directly to voters who are expecting answers to their questions looks a lot worse than not answering a question from a moderator.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
coughing prevention machine is now my favorite thing.

Touchdown

Banned
Trump's supporters haven't caught on that #TrumpWon is pure sarcasm.

6de322af16.gif

Joeytj

Banned
I was having a conversation with Cybit a few months ago, you can find it in one of the old threads, and we were talking about how Clinton was at her best in 2008 (in terms of likability) when her back was against the wall and she just threw it all out there in an attempt to keep fighting. How she basically cut loose out of necessity and had to exit her comfort zone.

Like she knows what she's got to do, she just won't do it until she has to.

Completely agree. I was for Obama in 2008 and hated her during the campaign, and halfway through the primaries, I grew to begrudgingly respect her (as did Obama) for her tenacity until the end.

It's either when she's back against the wall or confident when she's best, when she knows she can take risk.

This is what we called a "coordinated strike with our allies":

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a3887093/alicia-machado-miss-universe-donald-trump/

Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado Won't Be Defined by Donald Trump's Fat-Shaming

When Hillary Clinton called out her opponent's sexism at the first presidential debate, she highlighted a woman who had experienced it firsthand.

That moment made Machado a face of not only the victims of Donald Trump's well-documented sexism, but also a face of those who Trump refused to pay for services rendered to his companies. Within hours of her comment on the debate stage about Machado, Clinton released a video featuring Machado, a former Miss Venezuela who was crowned Miss Universe in 1996, the year that Trump bought the Miss Universe organization (he sold it in 2015), talking about the ways the Republican nominee demeaned her. Speaking in Spanish, Machado explains, "As Miss Universe, I participated in more ad campaigns than most. In a year, I earned the company a lot of money. By contract, I should have earned 10 percent on all the commercials and work I did. I was never paid." The video includes infamous footage of Trump bringing reporters to watch her work out after she gained weight. "She weighed 118 pounds or 117 pounds, and she went up to 160 or 170," Trump told them at the time. "So this is somebody that likes to eat." Machado goes on to describe the crushing humiliation of becoming, after that moment, "The Fat Miss Universe."

Yet Machado is determined not to be seen as just a victim, risen from the ashes of Trump's destructive business dealings. Trump's presidential race may have thrust her into the public eye in a bigger way than ever before, but Machado wants you to see her as a woman with her own talents, one who is not defined by victimization at the hands of one of the most controversial major party presidential candidates in American history. As she sees it, if the 2016 election has given her anything, it's the opportunity to reclaim her past and rewrite her story in her own words.

One week ago, Machado, 39, discussed Trump and her acting career while getting ready for a photo shoot in the Cosmopolitan.com office. While a stylist blow-dried her gold-highlighted hair, she interrupted, “Darling, let me give you my brush...” She later took over makeup application, using the mostly drugstore products she brought with her in a large black suitcase. Machado speaks with a thick accent, dotting her English with Spanish colloquialisms — “sí, sí” and “mira.” She joked that she hopes to improve her English by one day dating a guy from Ohio.

As she prepped for her portrait session, Machado recalled another incident of Trump’s fat-shaming. Toward the end of her reign of Miss Universe, she was writing thank-you cards in the Los Angeles Miss Universe office when he asked her what she wanted to do next. “You'll never be an actress,” he told her, “because you are too fat to be an actress, and nobody wants fat girls on TV shows.”

“I was so sad. I was quiet,” she said. "That was his attitude: OK, I have a new toy. I have all the beautiful new girls for me," she said of Trump’s frequent comments about her weight and appearance.

Revolver

Remember when Al Gore tried to get in Dubya's personal space? I wonder if Trump will try to pull some alpha male crap like that?

thebloo

Completely agree. I was for Obama in 2008 and hated her during the campaign, and halfway through the primaries, I grew to begrudgingly respect her (as did Obama) for her tenacity until the end.

It's either when she's back against the wall or confident when she's best, when she knows she can take risk.

I think she's a lot better as herself than people give her credit.

Boke1879

So we know Rudy is suggesting Trump skip out on the remainder of the debates. I wonder if that will be seriously discussed?

I can't see him doing that I mean if he doesn't he will get a thrashing by the media and everyone. He'all be seen as running away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom