• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alicia Machado is fiiiiiiiiiinally an example of massive opposition research at work. They obviously had this forever, were sitting on it, had an ad, had stories in the press planted, had her ready to go out and do interviews, and waited for a specific set piece to play in a debate. Had it not come up yesterday they'd have sprung it next time. There's no way the sexism wasn't going to come up at some point and this was always going to be the plan.

Regarding Holt:

I think he did fine. He wasn't great but he was not bad. More than passable, honestly.

He asked very good questions, overall, within the time frame. he followed up when there needed to be follow up (basically, Trump ignoring the question) and pressed him on Iraq (which had to be done.

A few times, I thought, Trump railroaded him (by this I mean talk over him and Holt acquiesced). And while he tried to get Trump to answer the birther question, even repeating the question, he did not finish it once and for all since Trump still ignored the question (what changed your mind?).

He let Hillary do most of the responses to him and he tried his best to keep things under 2 minutes but I like that he didn't really have a hard and fast rule regarding time and did let the candidates respond.

One complaint I do have is how in the world did immigration not come up? Like, it's Trump's biggest campaign issue. I understand there's not enough time for everything but this is likely the most watched debate and trump's stances on immigration are the biggest aspect of this entire campaign (outside of him)! It should have been brought up.

The immigration question not being brought up is what makes Holt's performance not great, IMO. But again, he did well and deserves another one in the future.

I think he did very well. He incorporated his fact checking into the questions themselves which was very smart. I really don't hold moderators responsible for not controlling the candidates. These are people running for President, you aren't going to really control them. He did a good job of letting the candidates go at each other and he gave each candidate a reasonable opportunity to respond to attack.

I couldn't ask for any more from Holt.

HylianTom

Banned
Alicia Machado is fiiiiiiiiiinally an example of massive opposition research at work. They obviously had this forever, were sitting on it, had an ad, had stories in the press planted, had her ready to go out and do interviews, and waited for a specific set piece to play in a debate. Had it not come up yesterday they'd have sprung it next time. There's no way the sexism wasn't going to come up at some point and this was always going to be the plan.
I'd be willing to bet that Team Hillary has a different case study of this flavor ready to unveil at each debate event, as a surprise to throw Trump off.

The media is pretty universal in that Hillary slapped Trump around last night.

This is going to depress GOP voters.

Good thing for them Mike Pence is in the batters box.

Hillary-Clinton-Smiles-Puts-Hand-on-Face.gif

Y'all should be grateful that Holt did not touch the foundation stuff, thank god. I expect Anderson and Wallace to be tougher on Clinton.

Cooper is moderating the town hall so he's not picking the questions. It would be pretty ballsy for the Fox News guy to bust out with a ton of Benghazi and Foundation stuff.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The media is pretty universal in that Hillary slapped Trump around last night.

This is going to depress GOP voters.

Good thing for them Mike Pence is in the batters box.

Hillary-Clinton-Smiles-Puts-Hand-on-Face.gif
Trump supporters have already encased themselves in their bubble where Donald and his surrogates are claiming he had a great victory.

royalan

I actually don't think The Clinton Foundation issue will be much of a hurdle for Clinton even if it does come up in the debates.

There's literally no scandal there, and the media now knows it. Bringing up the Foundation only gives Hillary a window to go in on The Trump Foundation, which is actually fraudulent.

Something tells me that's why Trump didn't mention it last night.

Cooper is moderating the town hall so he's not picking the questions. It would be pretty ballsy for the Fox News guy to bust out with a ton of Benghazi and Foundation stuff.

Don't the moderators know the questions ahead of time from the audience members, which they submit, so that they don't get the same question over and over again? So, they're not writing the questions, but aren't they picking the questions?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I actually don't think The Clinton Foundation issue will be much of a hurdle for Clinton even if it does come up in the debates.

There's literally no scandal there, and the media now knows it. Bringing up the Foundation only gives Hillary a window to go in on The Trump Foundation, which is actually fraudulent.

Something tells me that's why Trump didn't mention it last night.

That would require both a tactical mind, planning, and forethought. More like he didn't mention it because he forgot.

Mikef2000

Rewatching highlights of the debate. The whole Alicia Machado sequence looks even worse for Trump on repeated viewings. Him constantly repeating "Where did you find this?" is like him digging his political grave deeper each time he says it.

In an exercise to remove the stigma I feel when discussing Donald Trump, I inadvertently turned my musings of the demonic Hair Mouse into a full-fledged short story.

I feel alive. I have taken his power away by imagining him a puppet of a horrible rodent. The elephant fears the mouse, indeed.

Yeah Howard Dean needs to fuck off. Idiot.

In an exercise to remove the stigma I feel when discussing Donald Trump, I inadvertently turned my musings of the demonic Hair Mouse into a full-fledged short story.

I feel alive. I have taken his power away by imagining him a puppet of a horrible rodent. The elephant fears the mouse, indeed.
I want to read it. ALL OF IT.

The rodent demands Blood.

Boke1879

It just entered my mind. Trump's response to discriminating against housing for Black people was pretty much. "everyone else was doing it."

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 34m34 minutes ago
ex-Kerry campaign manager Jim Jordan on debate effect: "He seems boxed in. He'll go at her harder next time, seem even less presidential."

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 6m6 minutes ago
Veteran Dem strategist Bill Carrick: "hard to come back in town-hall debate. can't play off mainstream media - have to play off real people"

PUNISHED VENOM TRUMP

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite thing about the debate is how little talk about emails there was.

Hillary understandably gave up most of the time allowed instead of dwelling on it. Then Trump's opportunity to respond was just a quick admonishment before immediately turning to his tax returns and telling everyone to look at the bank financial reports if they want to see how much he's making.

He'd rather make sure everyone knows how rich he is than spend time attacking Hillary on her weakest issue. That's the sort of discipline Trump has.

Darkgran

It just entered my mind. Trump's response to discriminating against housing for Black people was pretty much. "everyone else was doing it."

Also this.

I notice you bring that up a lot. And, you know, I also notice the very nasty commercials that you do on me in so many different ways, which I don’t do on you. Maybe I’m trying to save the money.

But, frankly, I look — I look at that, and I say, isn’t that amazing? Because I settled that lawsuit with no admission of guilt, but that was a lawsuit brought against many real estate firms, and it’s just one of those things.

I’ll go one step further. In Palm Beach, Florida, tough community, a brilliant community, a wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in the world, I opened a club, and really got great credit for it. No discrimination against African- Americans, against Muslims, against anybody. And it’s a tremendously successful club. And I’m so glad I did it. And I have been given great credit for what I did. And I’m very, very proud of it. And that’s the way I feel. That is the true way I feel.

So he is saying that he did do it but now he is not doing it...

Getting sued for racial discrimination by Nixon and then hiring Ailes when Ailes was too monstrous for the Nixon administration to hire seem like bad marks for Trump with regards to bigotry.

I'm just going to put that out there.

That would require both a tactical mind, planning, and forethought. More like he didn't mention it because he forgot.

It's not that tactical. If you're his staff, you hire an intern to prick Trump with a needle every time he says the word "foundation" so he's conditioned to avoid it.

I'd do this with several topics actually. You can't get him to prep for the full debate, so you just stake out some topics that he has to avoid at all costs.

Dierce

I still don't understand what orange turd is spending all the campaign money on. Is it all these digital ads Ive been seeing on Neogaf?

Dems with a hopium overdose:

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
Senate Dem strategist on Clinton debate effect: "puts possibility of blowout win with long coattails back on table"

Edit: DA FUCK, a positive Clinton ad?

Effect

Rewatching highlights of the debate. The whole Alicia Machado sequence looks even worse for Trump on repeated viewings. Him constantly repeating "Where did you find this?" is like him digging his political grave deeper each time he says it.

Yeah that "Where did you find this?" is an instant confirmation by Trump that it's true. He's more concerned about how Hillary found out or remembered. He doesn't even try to deny it like the other things. That really stood out at that the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom