• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. That is definitely clear based on this past census and the REPUBLICAN WAVE OF 2010.

But you will have so many ass on head arguments from GOP lawyers that there is no way it gets ruled against.

Even with a liberal controlled court? The GOP's dumb arguments haven't really worked out for them the last decade or so.

NeoXChaos

The parties have been Gerrymandering since the beginning. Democrats had the House for 40 years between 1955-1995 and that too was thanks to Gerrymandering.

Kennedy has said he'd be open to a standard for redistricting that would prevent gerrymandering.

Best thing we can do though is take the 2018 gubernatorial races seriously. Don't just write off say NV/OH for example.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My take: if Hillary wins, we get the Senate. Even if it's 50-50.

I want the biggest margin possible, but have to admit that barely taking the Senate and then going nukey-nukey with SCOTUS would be one of the best possible Entertainment Outcomes.
Defcon 5 BPEO

Joeytj

Banned
Hillary gets a huge applause in NH when she mentions the debate.

She's talking about John Warner's endorsement and taunting her support from "a number" of independents in NH.

Trumpworld knows it's the debate was disaster:

‏@KatyTurNBC
Mood in Trump world is darker than unusual. 1 source says debate was a "disaster." 2nd: might hire debate coaches. 3rd: He's a fast learner.

OMG

@JohnJHarwood
source close to Trump tells @KatyTurNBC candidate's children unhappy w/Bannon/Conway/Bossie leadership, think campaign is hurting business

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<inhale>

<sniffle>

FTFY.

Seriosuly... maybe next time DON'T start your campaign by saying Mexico has a conspiracy to send drug dealers and rapists to this country... At least if you're concerned about what's good for business.

Ivanka is a normal human being.
I don't know if Tiffany counts as one of Trump's children in Trump's mind.
Barron is great with the cyber, it's unbelievable, let me tell you, but I don't think that he has much influence on the campaign.
Eric and Jr. are psychopaths.

2/3 of Trump's children who have influence are really not smart, it seems bad that he listens to those people.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think he listens to Trump Jr., Eric and Ivanka's husband. Who are all three grade A asshates.

Ivanka seems really smart and probably fairly liberal given the circles she runs around in in the UES. The rest of them seem to have not fallen very far from the tree.

iammeiam

What on earth do the kids expect the campaign managers to do at this point? The Bannon/Bossie/Conway reboot took the train wreck of his campaign and made it a somewhat credible threat. If this is about his public perception hurting the Trump Organization I have no idea what kind of campaign would prevent that; at this point his campaign is probably as functional as it can be with Trump himself involved.

Ivanka seems really smart and probably fairly liberal given the circles she runs around in in the UES. The rest of them seem to have not fallen very far from the tree.

If Born Rich is anything to go by (and it might very well not be, given how long ago that docu came out), Ivanka has a very, very particular view of her father that might very well color quite a lot of things, including the way she sees her own privilege.

Joeytj

Banned
I think he listens to Trump Jr., Eric and Ivanka's husband. Who are all three grade A asshates.

If Ivanka is truly smart, she would run for office on a fairly liberal, pro-business platform with just a bit more progressive taxation than usual for a Republican, and she would likely win. She should start with making a run for Congress or NYC mayor.

If she runs as a Independent or even a Democrat... I don't know, but she is probably the Donald's only good legacy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Ivanka is truly smart, she would run for office on a fairly liberal, pro-business platform with just a bit more progressive taxation than usual than a Republican, and she would likely win. She should start with making a run for Congress or NYC mayor.

There is no way in hell she'd win NYC Mayor after Trump's shit show. Hell, the city as a whole hated Trump before all this. He was a joke. She'd have to show she was legit first. The most she can get is an upstate congressional seat.

Joeytj

Banned
There is no way in hell she'd win NYC Mayor after Trump's shit show. Hell, the city as a whole hated Trump before all this. He was a joke. She'd have to show she was legit first. The most she can get is an upstate congressional seat.

Yeah, maybe not Mayor right away, but come on... After a couple of years of a national Trump-detox, she can easily make a political career on her own.

ANYWAY: This New Hampshire "rally" is turning into a prep for the second debate, town hall style, and she's awesome. Both Hill and Sanders are taking questions from a moderator and she's talking unscripted about many problems, and wow.

iammeiam

If Ivanka is truly smart, she would run for office on a fairly liberal, pro-business platform with just a bit more progressive taxation than usual for a Republican, and she would likely win. She should start with making a run for Congress or NYC mayor.

I know there's been people suggesting Trump wants to build a political dynasty with maybe Junior stepping in to the political ring in a few years, but I always thought he'd have Ivanka as his heir apparent because he knows she's the popular one and she generally comes off as more appealing.

But the Cosmo interview made it look like she maybe inherited Dad's inability to deal with criticism, so now I'm not sure.

Iolo

Not a chance. He may just tell them to fuck off in private and let the kids guide him here on out, but they will all stay on and in the media. Imo

I think something may happen if he actually does decline in the polls. He's stayed with them and on their regimen of two teleprompters twice daily, because the race has steadily tightened. But if that changes, Trump is the kind of guy that could make an erratic move.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, maybe not Mayor right away, but come one... After a couple of years of a national Trump-detox, she can easily make a political career on her own.

Not in New York City. The Trump name has been toxic here for years. She'd have to do some really hardcore rehab, and even then it probably won't work.

Boke1879

No way in hell do I think they fire Bannon or Ailes at this point. The kids may not be happy, but my GOD the public optics of that a little more than a month before the election. Because for all they are. They've kept Trump relatively sane ( I know I cringed typing that.)

If they get rid of those 2 it'll be Trump unfiltered and not knowing what the fuck to do.

Also It's good to see internally the campaign knows the debate was a disaster. That said no way in hell he can prep for a debate in 2 weeks like he needs to.

If anything they'll just rehearse talking points with him.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If Born Rich is anything to go by (and it might very well not be, given how long ago that docu came out), Ivanka has a very, very particular view of her father that might very well color quite a lot of things, including the way she sees her own privilege.

It's been a long time since I've seen Born Rich. I remember her coming off as one of the more likable people in it though.

THE PROBLEM WITH TRUMP ISN&#8217;T HIS DEBATING SKILLS

The New Yorker said:
Obviously there was something cheering and even comforting in the reality that Trump had &#8220;lost.&#8221; But there was something disturbing in seeing Trump once again being normalized by being made part of an ordinary contest in coherence and &#8220;presentation&#8221; and &#8220;preparation.&#8221; In truth, that was the least of it, because what was really outside any norm of decency was what he thought even after you had dutifully distilled away the incoherence and the manic improvisations. Talking, again, about President Obama&#8217;s birth certificate, he displayed not only the usual pathological inability to admit to an error&#8212;any error, ever&#8212;but an underlying racism so pervasive that it can&#8217;t help express itself even when trying to pass as something else. There was, after all, never any doubt or controversy about Obama&#8217;s being born an American&#8212;never any actual &#8220;controversy&#8221; about his place of birth, any more than there is about Trump&#8217;s or Clinton&#8217;s. (And Clinton never said there was.) It was a settled matter from the time Obama began running for office. What there was was a racist conspiracy theory, invented by various people on the fringe right, that Trump brought into the center of attention. By 2011, Trump had simply succeeded in making this racist conspiracy theory so prevalent that Obama, who had released his birth certificate three years earlier, concluded that it was more efficient to end it for all time by asking Hawaiian officials for special permission to let him give out the &#8220;long form,&#8221; archival version than to let it go on. What Obama may not have realized was that in Trump&#8217;s world, since he is never wrong, it couldn&#8217;t end.

Yet Trump continued last night his self-congratulations for compelling the President to do this, along with the grotesquely racist notion that it was &#8220;good for him&#8221; (i.e., for the President). It slowly dawned on the listener that this was all of a piece with the rest of Trump&#8217;s racial attitudes: he believes that, as a rich white man, he had a right to stop and frisk the President of the United States and demand that the uppity black man show him his papers. Stop-and-frisk isn&#8217;t just a form of policing for Trump; it&#8217;s a whole way of life. The idea that he had a right to force a black man to go through what Obama rightly saw as the demeaning business of producing his birth certificate showed his fundamental contempt for any normal idea of racial equality. It was of a line with his equally bizarre notion that owning a country club that doesn&#8217;t actively discriminate against black people is not a minimal requirement of law but a positive achievement of the owner. This isn&#8217;t the case of someone misarticulating an otherwise plausible position; it was just a case of someone repeating, once again, not only a specific racist lie but also the toxic underlying set of assumptions that produced it.

Very well put. I had never made the connection.

Listening to Hillary talk about education (not just college) in response to this one question makes me wish we had started discussing policy months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom