• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
This segment of the debate stays amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-nKvKucjC8

When he starts talking about temperament, and the room gniffles, Hillary seems to lock eyes with someone (who is undoubtedly laughing) and you can see she has to hold back an audible gasp and laugh, and reign it in to just a smile.

(what do you mean, that's not his voice?)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think something may happen if he actually does decline in the polls. He's stayed with them and on their regimen of two teleprompters twice daily, because the race has steadily tightened. But if that changes, Trump is the kind of guy that could make an erratic move.

Trump has been reigned in really, really well over the last month. And he's sort of got himself almost to "generic republican" performance territory, or as close as someone with his views is going to get.

The debate was a snap back to reality for voters that he is a monkey flinging feces. He's been off the teleprompter and calling into to TV shows again, so I think his base instincts are taking back over the campaign. If the polls move against him this week and next as they should, I could see him doubling down on stupid.

Which is *exactly* what happened after the DNC. He couldn't stand the positive momentum for Clinton and then exacerbated the issues by looking nuts.

This has always been a part of her plan, if I remember correctly.

It would save me $300 a month, and my loans would be gone after teaching for 10 years.

Have you ever thought of going into the Income Based Repayment option that is currently available? 10% of discretionary income per month, and gone after 20 years. Unless after mortgage/rent you still bring in over 3K/month...

Ecotic

Firing Conway would be such a disaster. Trump would drown in the optics of looking erratic and she has done a great job given the candidate and is the only person giving lots of Republicans any hope.

StoOgE

Watching the Hillary/Bernie rally. Could Bernie have a job in a Clinton Administration?

No, and I dont think he wants it. I mean, maybe he would take CPFB, but my guess is you want a prosecutor in that role anyway.

Joeytj

Banned
Listening to Hillary talk about education (not just college) in response to this one question makes me wish we had started discussing policy months ago.

Those last few minutes of Hillary talking about education is what the Trump campaign fears the most. When she gets just a few minutes to talk about policy she's passionate about, she wins any debate.

Oh come on people.

It's quite obvious the final form of the Trump campaign is for Trump to take over the Campaign Manager and Communications Director roles himself under pseudonyms.

Have you ever thought of going into the Income Based Repayment option that is currently available? 10% of discretionary income per month, and gone after 20 years. Unless after mortgage/rent you still bring in over 3K/month...
I'm self-employed, and I'm not sure how much I would save by going into the income sensitive plan. I need to look into that. I'm working on my Master's so, I don't have to pay anything. When my fiance and I sat down and came up with our budget, we decided to go ahead and make a half payment every month. At least it's helping.

Kusagari

I love how Trump's kids are mad at the trio when they've somehow managed to mostly reign him in over the last month and make him catch up to Hill in the polls.

They did miracle work. It's Trump that imploded the good will by being himself.

I'm self-employed, and I'm not sure how much I would save by going into the income sensitive plan. I need to look into that. I'm working on my Master's so, I don't have to pay anything. When my fiance and I sat down and came up with our budget, we decided to go ahead and make a half payment every month. At least it's helping.

Gotchya, most people don't even know the IBR is a option. Where are you taking classes if you don't mind me asking?

Holmes

This Clinton/Sanders panel on education is really good. Wow, I'm a nerd. Anyway, if this is the Hillary that shows up at the town hall then she'll win handily.

Gotchya, most people don't even know the IBR is a option. Where are you taking classes if you don't mind me asking?
I actually got into a MFA program, but I'm going to SNHU. Working on my Master's in English so I can teach. Taking a lot of education classes, lit classes and writing classes.

Boke1879

It's amazing to me. Before the debate Team Trump played the low expectations game. Gringrich said he a great debater etc. Now they say he wasn't ready.

Bullshit. You had months to prepare and you know this was coming. Rudy even suggested he back out of the remaining ones. Do they really think he can turn it around in 2 week?

Wiz

No, and I dont think he wants it. I mean, maybe he would take CPFB, but my guess is you want a prosecutor in that role anyway.

I think it would be a step down for him. If the Democrats retake the Senate, he is in line to chair the Senate Budget Committee. I bet that's where he wants to be.

I can see the arguments for him staying, but I think if he was offered something like Labor or Education Secretary, it would seem like a good fit for him. He'd bring a lot more visibility to debt-free college, minimum wage, etc.

I actually got into a MFA program, but I'm going to SNHU. Working on my Master's in English so I can teach. Taking a lot of education classes, lit classes and writing classes.

ugh, better you than me lol. I've been going to akron u for years but its all math and engineering lol

It's amazing to me. Before the debate Team Trump played the low expectations game. Gringrich said he a great debater etc. Now they say he wasn't ready.

Bullshit. You had months to prepare and you know this was coming. Rudy even suggested he back out of the remaining ones. Do they really think he can turn it around in 2 week?

They're just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks that will slightly alter the post-debate narrative. Like all this talk of Clinton sex scandals.

StoOgE

I can see the arguments for him staying, but I think if he was offered something like Labor or Education Secretary, it would seem like a good fit for him. He'd bring a lot more visibility to debt-free college, minimum wage, etc.

Those are wonk positions. No offense to Mr. Sanders and his college payment plans, but I want someone who is a policy and subject matter expert on those matters to be in charge of it, not a politician with political opinions.

Those roles are far more about keeping the trains running on time than political posturing.

Im in IBR. Also work at city government, and after 10 years the rest of my loan can be forgiven. I'll have to pay taxes on it, but in the end, it will save me a lot.

And rightly so. It took me 5 years after graduating to get a good enough job to even start paying it back. 7% interest. I added about 10k in debt to me loan just from that, so about 1/3rd of my school debt is from interest alone. I graduated when the recession was at its worst stage.

tuffy

There's not a debate coach in the world who can extract Trump from his bubble in order to handle a town hall-style debate within two weeks.

Im in IBR. Also work at city government, and after 10 years the rest of my loan can be forgiven. I'll have to pay taxes on it, but in the end, it will save me a lot.

And rightly so. It took me 5 years after graduating to get a good enough job to even start paying it back. 7% interest. I added about 10k in debt to me loan just from that, so about 1/3rd of my school debt is from interest alone. I graduated when the recession was at its worst stage.

Yeah, ive def. thought of using my degree and getting a public position so its 10 instead of 20 years. Ive been in classes for about 14 years (yes you read that right) and I would say mine is close to 40+% interest.

Edit: If people really wanted to boost the economy, helping people with student debt would be a huge help. So much economic activity stifled by student debt...

So Nate Silver's latest article is this:

Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

In which he based this article on TWO national polls that have thus far been released.

TWO.

In which he says this:

The first poll is from Morning Consult, which shows Clinton leading by 3 percentage points in a matchup that includes third-party candidates — that’s a 4-point swing toward Clinton from the 1-point Trump lead that Morning Consult showed before the debate. In a head-to-head matchup against Trump, Clinton leads by 4 points, up from a 2-point lead before the debate.

And then people wonder why I say Silver doesn't actually understand statistics.

THESE TWO POLLS ALONE SHOW NOTHING YOU PUNDIT!

Come on Crab and Cybit. Defend this horseshit.

Sibylus

Banned
Catching up.

I may or may not have written a very angry post that I've saved on my computer for cathartic reasons with a line containing "For PoliGAF is full of honorable men"

At some point I'd love to read it for a sensible chuckle or three.

If that's true, how have I had sex in my dreams when I'm still a virgin IRL?

Because you were thinking about it, your mind had constructed a simulacrum of the experience based upon your expectations, desires, fears, and fantasies, wrapped in what you remember of yourself, other people, and sensation memory.

The mind does this with everything, and not just bits and pieces you remember. It'll steal faces from random people you saw on the street and fill your dreams with them. It'll put you into arguments that have never happened with people you're friendly with. It'll paint the future you fear or anticipate. And oftentimes it'll make dreams that don't make much sense at all, ones that look like your mind has just gone through an unorganized stream of your day's thoughts and images and cranked them out in no discernable sense of "scene".

dramatis

I thought the current ranking Democrat on the committee didn't want to move.
Sanders is already the ranking 'Democrat' on the Budget committee, but apparently he said he wants the HELP committee, of which the ranking Democrat is Patty Murray.

Patty Murray is supposedly going to Appropriations, if the election turns out well for Senate Dems.

The conservative spin post-debate is that Trump isn't supposed to be good at debating in the traditional 'establishment' sense. It's actually better that he's not. The majority of Americans can see past what would traditionally be viewed as a bad debate performance- they don't respect or want a traditional candidate that's competent at traditional politician stuff.

It's amazing, isn't it.

tuffy

Do you guys think Trump is actually going to show up to the next debate?
If he shows up and bombs again he can at least try to spin it as some sort of win the next day in his own personal reality. But if he doesn't show up at all that cedes a lot of free airtime to Clinton and presents himself as a coward at the same time. So I don't think there's any chance he doesn't show up.

Yeah, ive def. thought of using my degree and getting a public position so its 10 instead of 20 years. Ive been in classes for about 14 years (yes you read that right) and I would say mine is close to 40+% interest.

Edit: If people really wanted to boost the economy, helping people with student debt would be a huge help. So much economic activity stifled by student debt...

What fields are you looking for? There is a lot more diversity in job types at city gov then you might think. From accounting to arts to IT.

I wish Anderson Cooper was also moderating the Vice Prez debate so he personally could rip out Pence's black heart. But I have no doubt he'll be great for the Presidential debate/town hall.

Trump's not going to pass on an opportunity to be on TV to millions of people, even if it might not be in the best interest of his campaign. That's just not Trump.

Boke1879

As long as everyone promises to be nice to him. Have to treat him with kid gloves, similar to the pair he wears.

Thing is. The next debate is Town Hall style. He'll be getting questions from the audience most likely. So he has to answer them. I have no clue what his plan is or why he would try to attack Hillary personally here but I can't see that shit flying all that well.

@Nate_Cohn
Very strong correlation between Hispanic population and voter registration searches in last 24 hours. Top 16 markets in TX/NV/CA

Ctd5kQeW8AEzWeF.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom