• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Where did I do that? One can criticize a Jewish state's treatment of Palestinians while also critiquing those who use it as an excuse to advance general antisemitic attitudes and beliefs (and those who offer safe harbor to such antisemetic behavior).
I think I just misread what you meant by this.
I It feels like criticism of Israeli human rights violations in Gaza or wherever is just a smokescreen for something deeper,

jbug617

Banned
CNN just had a guy from the Atlantic saying that Dems (going off Obama'a comment today) are worried about young minority voters going 3rd party.

Joeytj

Banned
Will the Machado effect be as severe as the Khan effect?

Not likely. She's a bit less of a sympathetic figure than the Khans, who really didn't have any scandals to their name. Not that she's deserving of Trump's attacks, duh, but I think the Machado story will just be mixed into his overall poor debate performance coverage.

SexyFish

Banned
on CNN right now:

Source: Trump Team Told To Be "High Energy" About Debate

Apparently getting upset that surrogates weren't 100% saying Donald nailed the debate on networks afterwards.

Boke1879

CNN just had a guy from the Atlantic saying that Dems (going off Obama'a comment today) are worried about young minority voters going 3rd party.

Yea but I think as time goes on leading up to the election. A lot of those people sway back to Clinton. The push from her, her campaign surrogates and stumpers seems to be getting the base into the fold and this is the perfect time. Ride that wave of her debate performance.

on CNN right now:

Source: Trump Team Told To Be "High Energy" About Debate

Apparently getting upset that surrogates weren't 100% saying Donald nailed the debate on networks afterwards.

The Trump ship is soooo leaky. How many people do you think are pretending to work for him but secretly undermining him?

No you see it's contrarian millenials like Joe Stiglitz that are screwing it up.

Think how much time and resources has been dedicated to pulling this kind of trash together with all the issues facing the US alone. Garbage that will add under the most ridiculous projections say 3 months of growth by the late 2020s for the US....< 1%. Very very very sad! Only shills, the corrupt, and the ignorant would put so much effort into passing such a deal when trade barriers are already low with various agreements already in place.

Boke1879

The Trump ship is soooo leaky. How many people do you think are pretending to work for him but secretly undermining him?

It hasn't been this leaky since Manafort and Corey.

The reason for that is because his current campaign has done a good job reigning him in as of late. for what it's worth things were going good for Trump.

Now after that debate, everyone claiming he lost. Him saying some awful shit at that debate. Clinton going into overdrive this week stopping in key states pushing her messaging and policy etc. You'd have to assume by the end of the week polls look very good for her.

That debate was a disaster for him. So when the alarms are ringing things naturally get leaked out.

SexyFish

Banned

Do you realize how much inside information on this campaign will be worth to book writers? I'm sure they're trying to find a buyer, assuming they can do it without getting sued by Trump.

CNN just played the "non-conservative Christians" and the "days off for Clinton" comment back to back. Love me some good unfiltered Trump. Time for the polls to drop.

Gkffhyd.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/fbi-james-comey-election-cyberattacks/

That debate was a disaster for him. So when the alarms are ringing things naturally get leaked out.

IDK everything that 'sources' said about his debate prep or lack thereof ended up being very prophetic. Small details also. It's been super leaky, there just haven't been any major developments that would make it seem so.

I think I just misread what you meant by this.

Or I wasn't clear enough, so no worries.

I was saying that some leftists START with a reasonable critique of Israeli bulldozing of Palestinian homes, killing of Palestinian citizens, etc., and then either leap to making or associating with people who make wild Zionist worldwide conspiracy claims or who pretend that antisemitism in general isn't a thing and actually, the Jews hold all the power, open your eyes!

teiresias

"attempted hacks" of "registration" sites.

First, they were attempts, second, this the registration systems so it's not like they're manipulating voting results. In fact, if this is just the front-end sites I don't see how they could do anything but add fake people to the rolls, which seems like it would be fairly hard to take advantage of unless they're going to ship tons of KGB over here to vote. If states have front facing site with access to basic voter registration database functions like "erase registrant" than that's completely incompetent to begin with.

Toxi

Banned
Or I wasn't clear enough, so no worries.

I was saying that some leftists START with a reasonable critique of Israeli bulldozing of Palestinian homes, killing of Palestinian citizens, etc., and then either leap to making or associating with people who make wild Zionist worldwide conspiracy claims or who pretend that antisemitism in general isn't a thing and actually, the Jews hold all the power, open your eyes!
Yeah, I've seen that happen. In the US it generally takes the form of blaming the country's often uncritical attitude towards Israel on rich American Jews.

It feels like the moment you go conspiracy theorist is the moment you go anti-semitic.

Boke1879

It's definitely something to keep an eye on, but as of right now this is nothing. Just need better security. If anything just worry about this on actual election day which I have faith nothing crazy happens.

royalan

First, they were attempts, second, this the registration systems so it's not like they're manipulating voting results. In fact, if this is just the front-end sites I don't see how they could do anything but add fake people to the rolls, which seems like it would be fairly hard to take advantage of unless they're going to ship tons of KGB over here to vote. If states have front facing site with access to basic voter registration database functions like "erase registrant" than that's completely incompetent to begin with.

This is the time of year that hundreds of thousands of Americans are checking and updating their voter registration. Many people do that online.

This could potentially be very serious.

They use sleeper agents, don't you know? They've probably been here since the mid-80s.

Dierce

This is the time of year that hundreds of thousands of Americans are checking and updating their voter registration. Many people do that online.

This could potentially be very serious.
Exactly, they might be trying to disenfranchise thousands of minority voters by using fake information which then can't be verified during election day. Something must be done about Putin and his Russian autocratic state.

Toxi

Banned
So they're really doing this.

God's speed I guess.

Trying to discredit Hillary as a feminist icon. Lmao. Oh man, I can't stop smiling at that. These morons would even try to paint Susan B Anthony as a woman hater, wouldn't they? I bet they would.
I've already seen Libertarians claim that, so...

Effect

It's up to the media to decide if they want to walk down this path. They've been used by Trump in the past and he's trying to use them again. Will they allow themselves to be used again after they got pissed off the last time?

Boke1879

The thing with the his campaign. Is they telegraph their attacks. I mean I'm sure at some point Hillary expected all of this shit to be said. Now she knows it a possible line of attack. So she can practice her response to it.

Trump was legit blindsided by Machado. Hell i don't think anyone expected that and he fell right into the trap. Go ahead Trump. Bring this up. Doubt it helps you at all.

How did 26% of Republicans watch that and have an improved opinion of him.

There's that number again.

John: Hey, Bush is now at 37% approval. I feel much less like Kevin McCarthy screaming in traffic. But I wonder what his base is --

Tyrone: 27%.

John: ... you said that immmediately, and with some authority.

Tyrone: Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% Crazification Factor in any population.

John: Objectively crazy or crazy vis-a-vis my own inertial reference frame for rational behaviour? I mean, are you creating the Theory of Special Crazification or General Crazification?

Tyrone: Hadn't thought about it. Let's split the difference. Half just have worldviews which lead them to disagree with what you consider rationality even though they arrive at their positions through rational means, and the other half are the core of the Crazification -- either genuinely crazy; or so woefully misinformed about how the world works, the bases for their decision making is so flawed they may as well be crazy.

John: You realize this leads to there being over 30 million crazy people in the US?

Tyrone: Does that seem wrong?

John: ... a bit low, actually.

This discussion about 27% of any population being completely crazy came up in a discussion about GWB's popularity...in 2005.

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2005/10/lunch-discussions-145-crazification.html

Also, for fun:

There it is again...

The idea is to give legitimacy to voter ID laws undermine trust in the system. Promote conspiracies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom