• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think PPP will ever have a 10 on a happiness scale poll. They are not a swing prone pollster so the numbers are never at the worst or best end of the spectrum.

Zukkoyaki

Weld to live up to his promise and just bail, endorse Hillary and say we need to vote against Trump. This Johnson shit has run it's course.

Kinda off topic but I have no idea why Colin Moriarty would vote for this man.
I love Colin but the dude is just a straight up contrarian.

Gary Johnson doubling down that if she is elected, Hillary Clinton will use nuclear weapons.

Yeah this makes zero sense.

Clinton will almost certainly move to enact no first use if Obama doesn't already do so before he leaves office, and Clinton has dropped hints that she'll try to kill the updated nuclear cruise missles (which are terrible-they are strictly a first strike weapon) that Congress is trying to get through to shovel money to districts/states that make the weapons.

Name ANY FOREIGN LEADER, in the ENTIRE WORLD right now that you like/respect.

Is it really so hard to say Angela Merkel? This guy is an amateur.

"attempted hacks" of "registration" sites.

First, they were attempts, second, this the registration systems so it's not like they're manipulating voting results. In fact, if this is just the front-end sites I don't see how they could do anything but add fake people to the rolls, which seems like it would be fairly hard to take advantage of unless they're going to ship tons of KGB over here to vote. If states have front facing site with access to basic voter registration database functions like "erase registrant" than that's completely incompetent to begin with.

There are a couple of different tactics that the Russians could go for here. An effective one is to obviously try to effect the election and to fail. Even though Richard Reid's shoebomb failed. We all still had to take off our shoes at the airport for years.

They just need to sow doubt and discord. That is generally Russia's psy-ops MO, to muddy the waters.

How likely do you guys think taking the Senate is at this point? I'm hoping post-debate polls swing things back in Dems favor a bit. PEC has the most likely outcome being Rs retaining a slight lead.

And idiots actually want to vote for Johnson. Millennials(Bernie supporters) and disaffected Republicans need to get a fucking grip and make the adult decision.

gaugebozo

I can't believe it will be the 2nd debate of the 2016 election and we'll be hearing about Benghazi again. Just like four years after the first one.
One night. In concert. Just the hits!

I feel like this will backfire. Everybody has been hearing about Benghazi and emails for years, but for some bizarre reason, Republicans need these two things to constantly be yelled directly in her face. Meanwhile, there are plenty of voters who will be interested to hear about Trump University, his treatment of women, etc.

I don't think PPP will ever have a 10 on a happiness scale poll. They are not a swing prone pollster so the numbers are never at the worst or best end of the spectrum.
Right. Directly following the DNC they had Clinton up 5 nationally and in Pennsylvania when other pollsters were showing bigger leads.

I know this is why Nate Silver doesn't take them very seriously (he thinks they're cooking the numbers to stay close to the average), but given that his model seems to drop 10 points whenever someone sneezes I don't know if I take that critique very seriously.

Boke1879

And idiots actually want to vote for Johnson. Millennials(Bernie supporters) and disaffected Republicans need to get a fucking grip and make the adult decision.

They aren't Bernie supporters. The people willing to vote for Johnson are only going it as a protest vote for a candidate they don't know shit about and most likely only people on facebook/twitter/tumblr grasping for someone.

I highly doubt they've paid attention to anything this man has said.

Gary Johnson doubling down that if she is elected, Hillary Clinton will use nuclear weapons.

Welp. They wanted 3rd parties to get more visibility. I guess that wasn't a good idea.

Our third parties are guff. Anyone sane who actually wants to get anything done on a national scale inevitably has to do what Bernie did, join one of the major parties. The Libertarian and Green parties are those too pure to work within the crazy broad coalitions formed by the major two parties.

This Freakonomics podcast is one of the better dives into the Libertarian movement and a current Libertarian (non-party member) comes to the same conclusion.

TAYLOR: The American political system is essentially rigged to produce a two-party system, and it’s virtually impossible to imagine a world in which a third party could sustain itself over a long period of time and become a relevant political actor. So if you’re trying to advance your ideas in American politics, you either have to advance them in the Democratic Party or you have to advance them in the Republican Party.

TAYLOR: Libertarians have spent a tremendous amount of time and energy since 1970 promoting their ideas, and yet, there’s no indication that libertarian sentiment in this country is any larger today than it was then. There is no real clear evidence that libertarian ideas are penetrating an academia amongst intellectuals to any greater extent than they ever have been in the past. The reality is that in politics, libertarianism has faced a market test and lost repeatedly. And I think this is an important bit of an information for libertarians who believe in markets and the functionality of markets — to face up to the fact that libertarian ideas have failed two very important market tests: a political market test and an intellectual market test. So either there is something wrong with the salesman of libertarian ideas, or there is something wrong with the product they’re selling, and I suspect that it’s a chunk of both.

TAYLOR: Well, I think that unfortunately a lot of libertarians are rather dogmatic about their ideas and rather absolutist and that they’re not really necessarily in the persuasion business as much as they might need to be. And they’re more in the “this I shall believe” and “Christ on a cross” kind of business. And if you want to move people into your camp, you have to persuade them. Which means that you have to accept the values and the underlying sentiments of the people you’re trying to persuade, you have to understand their arguments and you have to make a compelling case. And unfortunately if anybody saw say the Libertarian Convention recently on C-SPAN…

Weld should be at the top of the ticket. I feel bad for him.

He probably would not have won.

NeoXChaos

Right. Directly following the DNC they had Clinton up 5 nationally and in Pennsylvania when other pollsters were showing bigger leads.

I know this is why Nate Silver doesn't take them very seriously (he thinks they're cooking the numbers to stay close to the average), but given that his model seems to drop 10 points whenever someone sneezes I don't know if I take that critique very seriously.

her winning by 6 would hopefully drag murphy across the finish line. I just want to see a lead in that race for him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To be fair to Johnson, as a libertarian who's he gonna really like? He sure as hell ain't gonna say anybody in Europe or any first world industrialized country cause SOSHULISM, which leaves only kleptocracies and dictatorships and he's probably smart enough to realize that the public won't share his appreciation of the leadership of Somalia.

Iolo

To be fair to Johnson, as a libertarian who's he gonna really like? He sure as hell ain't gonna say anybody in Europe or any first world industrialized country cause SOSHULISM, which leaves only kleptocracies and dictatorships and he's probably smart enough to realize that the public won't share his appreciation of the leadership of Somalia.

Well apparently Angela Merkel, because "she's good."

Iolo

What does anyone see in this guy? I listened to him for a minute and heard he wants to cut Planned Parenthood by 20%, tinker with Social Security and allow unlimited campaign contributions. Bill Weld needs to jump off this train.

It's not who he is but who he's not.

Boke1879

What does anyone see in this guy? I listened to him for a minute and heard he wants to cut Planned Parenthood by 20%, tinker with Social Security and allow unlimited campaign contributions. Bill Weld needs to jump off this train.

I have to believe anyone truly considering him doesn't pay attention to any of his stances. Especially if liberals are voting for him. They just saw another guy that they felt was anti establishment and latched onto him.

Here is the short stort I wrote about the Hair Mouse.

The Hair Mouse circled its perch on Donald’s head and ran a strand of his hair through its teeth. Don’s hair was wiry and dry. It liked the way it ran over its tiny lips. It was appetizing.

I am hungry Donald.

“I will get you a cracker.”

Donald stepped out of the shower and into the hotel suite. It was an expensive room, but not for any particular reason. It was expensive because people like Donald Trump always rent the most expensive rooms. His debate-night suit was laid out on the bed as if another Donald Trump had dissolved into the bedspread and left his clothes behind. Or maybe there was another Donald running around naked.

Then he remembered he was the Donald going around naked. He laughed.

“Hair Mouse,” he said, “I just thought of something funny.”

I don’t care for your musings. I care for a cracker. Feed me, Donald. Or I will feed myself on your flesh.

Donald frowned. He removed a cigarette case full of Ritz crackers from his suit jacket and raised it to his head. Hair Mouse was eager with its retrieval and moreso in its consumption. Crumbs tumbled down to Donald’s brow.

But 'favorite' is a relative qualifier. All that matters is that the person is somebody he likes more or dislikes less than others.

Thinking about it more, this infuriates me. So now that he knows what Aleppo is and he knows that it is the epicenter of a horrific human crisis, he decides to use it as a punchline.

Fuck. That. Guy.

Oh God I was so focused on the basic incompetence he showed that it didn't even occur to me how horrible it was.

This should be the final straw and disqualifying. I really hope the media covers it like that.

For those saying it was a gotcha... for a serious presidential candidate, if this is a gotcha, so is asking "What is a number between 1 and 10?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom