• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Clinton's campaign needs to run an ad with Trump's comments bout refugees while footage plays of injured kids from Aleppo.

Actually probably just a long shot of Omran

They should do a positive ad on immigration with either Morgan Freeman or Hillary reading The New Collossus with shots of Omran, the girl who worried about her parents being deported, shots of the statue of liberty, and naturalization ceremonies. Nothing about Trump, just reminding people why we are such a great nation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They should do a positive ad on immigration with either Morgan Freeman or Hillary reading The New Collossus with shots of Omran, the girl who worried about her parents being deported, shots of the statue of liberty, and naturalization ceremonies. Nothing about Trump, just reminding people why we are such a great nation.

That'd be really good. They should use the whole poem though, not just the last stanza.

An H.W. Bush endorsement would help win a media cycle or two. That's at least worth something at this stage.

Her campaign needs to be creative though. If they could pull it off, imagine a dual endorsement of H.W. Bush and Colin Powell the day after a good debate performance. Hillary would have a week's worth of good coverage. If she flops in the debate, then it's a good way to get the bad media off her.
I just came a little.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I ask again: who does GHWB voting for Clinton impress? Was Cheney not available? Dole? Romney? Get me a red ass secessionist from Texas and we'll talk.

It's actually quite a nice bit of political maneuvering - Townsend annoucing it on her own, contextualized as a Kennedy, without having to make an "official" statement from the Bush camp. Note that the spox doesn't deny it, and there's no way that photo and that caption goes out without some kind of approval beforehand.

I ask again: who does GHWB voting for Clinton impress? Was Cheney not available? Dole? Romney? Get me a red ass secessionist from Texas and we'll talk.
#nevertrump Republicans.

I'm sure there are a few of them left. Papa Bush giving his ok could move them from simply not voting to voting Clinton.

Maybe that would hurt Democrats downballot - maybe that's his game plan, actually. Make sure Clinton is in office, make sure she doesn't have a Dem Congress that she can run roughshod with. Who knows.

Maybe disaffected Never-Trumpers who are holding their noses for Gary Johnson. But even if it's a 1 or 2% gain, it's more than worth it.

Two pages ago or whatever we were all lamenting how she went after Meg's dirty dirty money as she took her eyes off the prize of bratty teens and twenteens.

Now we're gaga over Herbert Walker saying he'd vote for her.

royalan

I don't know how I feel about Bush's endorsement.

On one hand, one more strike against Trump.

On the other hand, I think Hillary has gotten all she can get out of trying to court #NeverTrump Republicans. She's been doing that for the last two months and there don't seem to be that many of them.

And if she's trying to transition to the positive phase of her campaign where she motivates her base and drives up turnout...I don't know how conducive it is to that effort to keep playing up her Republican endorsements. Right now, she needs to treat Republicans like the White House Correspondent's Dinner and say fuck 'em.

Wilsongt

Two pages ago or whatever we were all lamenting how she went after Meg's dirty dirty money as she took her eyes off the prize of bratty teens and twenteens.

Now we're gaga over Herbert Walker saying he'd vote for her.

We suffer from multiple personality disorder, apparently.

We switch between Diablos, Adam, Benji, and some overly enthusiastic hopium poster.

watershed

Banned
Anything that eats away at Trump's support and ego is a positive in my view. You just know it grinds him to know that prominent republicans all think he's a disaster.

I'm confident that there are still more white voters who can still be swayed away from Trump.

HylianTom

Banned
Anything that eats away at Trump's support and ego is a positive in my view. You just know it grinds him to know that prominent republicans all think he's a disaster.

I'm confident that there are still more white voters who can still be swayed away from Trump.

I tend to agree. This kind of thing helps maintain an environment where Republicans can give themselves permission to not toe the party line.. even if they tell themselves that it's just this once.

If he speaks openly about this, I really hope it's included in an infomercial. It'd be a good punctuation mark.

royalan

I'm confident that there are still more white voters who can still be swayed away from Trump

She's had two months to do that. She keeps it up and all the "Secret Republican" bullshit from the primaries will start to ring true.

Do not take your base for granted. Stop chasing the dangling carrot.

watershed

Banned
She's had two months to do that. She keeps it up and all the "Secret Republican" bullshit from the primaries will start to ring true.

Do not take your base for granted. Stop chasing the dangling carrot.
What evidence do we have that Hillary or her campaign is taking the dem base for granted? I don't see it.

Teggy

"Failed President GHWB should have killed Saddam the first time, and had a bunch of low energy losers for children. SAD!"

mo60

I don't know how I feel about Bush's endorsement.

On one hand, one more strike against Trump.

On the other hand, I think Hillary has gotten all she can get out of trying to court #NeverTrump Republicans. She's been doing that for the last two months and there don't seem to be that many of them.

And if she's trying to transition to the positive phase of her campaign where she motivates her base and drives up turnout...I don't know how conducive it is to that effort to keep playing up her Republican endorsements. Right now, she needs to treat Republicans like the White House Correspondent's Dinner and say fuck 'em.

She can't treat all republicans like the enemy even though they nominated trump as their presidential candidate.She kinda has to treat them like her friend to an extent. If any republican is open to supporting her for the presidency she should try to get their support, but she should not be chasing after their support.

User1608

Banned
I don't think Hillary herself has to continue chasing/courting the Republican vote but more support doesn't hurt I think. As long as she appeals to all aspects of the base like she did with her millennials speech in the remaining days she'll be fine.

SEE. Shinra gets it.
Well, not quite. I don't think it was a bad idea to go after moderates. And everybody poopooing her suck up tour in August is being wilfully ignorant that campaigns - multiple, not just her own - need money to run.

Where are all the dumb college kids sending their student loan funded donations now so that she won't need to spend all her time with Bon Jovi or whoever.

As opposed to spending all her time codling sad unreliable voters suffering from bitch cracker syndrome.

royalan

What evidence do we have that Hillary or her campaign is taking the dem base for granted? I don't see it.

l'll link to a post I wrote in the previous OT. Basically, almost all of Hillary's national messaging has been aimed at #NeverTrump Republicans since the primaries ended.

In addition, Tim Kaine has been doing the white working class circuit since the convention ended, and as of today has not given a SINGLE Spanish interview despite that being one of his main appeals as a VP choice. And oh, come to find out the latino vote as it looks right now might not be enough to guarantee us Florida.

And let me ask a question: until today, how much specific attention has Hillary paid to millennials? To minorities?

But we sure do know a lot about what Republicans think of Trump.

Bowdz

l'll link to a post I wrote in the previous OT. Basically, almost all of Hillary's national messaging has been aimed at #NeverTrump Republicans since the primaries ended.

In addition, Tim Kaine has been doing the white working class circuit since the convention ended, and as of today has not given a SINGLE Spanish interview despite that being one of his main appeals as a VP choice. And oh, come to find out the latino vote as it looks right now might not be enough to guarantee us Florida.

And let me ask a question: until today, how much specific attention has Hillary paid to millennials? To minorities?

Agreed. The best polls Clinton's had this cycle had been once the Obama coalition fully came home. Courting Republicans had it's time and place, but Clinton has a much better chance of winning by courting the Obama coalition than by flipping moderate Republicans.

watershed

Banned

Pretty sure Hillary has given several speeches about race, education, and has rolled out specific policies that address problems facing young voters, minorities, women, and other traditional democratic voters. I don't have numbers because I don't keep track like that. But I follow the news and I think she has been specific and detailed. I have no sense that Hillary is not running as a democrat or ignoring the base.

mo60

Agreed. The best polls Clinton's had this cycle had been once the Obama coalition fully came home. Courting Republicans had it's time and place, but Clinton has a much better chance of winning by courting the Obama coalition than by flipping moderate Republicans.

Yep.I don't think she should be chasing republicans, but if anyone like HW Bush wants to support her that is okay, but she shouldn't just be bashing all republicans when talking about trump.

List of Republican presidents since 1912:

Warren G. Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
HW Bush
George W Bush

Rank them.

AniHawk

List of Republican presidents since 1912:

Warren G. Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
HW Bush
George W Bush

Rank them.

eisenhower
nixon
hw bush
ford
coolidge
harding
reagan
w bush
hoover

i only have a passing knowledge on about half of them. the bottom four are basically the wall of shame. pretty shit crowd overall though. god damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom