• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Holy fucking shit at the Newsweek story. I hope they bring the receipts because that is a bombshell accusation to make.

I'd be praying that I won if I were Trump because he has a legal avalanche coming his way in November if he loses.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
His hotels and properties have seen a very obvious decline in revenues since his candidacy began.

When this election is over Trump's brand is going to be destroyed.

yes, he will still have the hardcore supporters. But his revenue streams will be reduced so greatly and he will know he is a huge fucking loser. And I will love it.
I'm sure some Russian oligarchs can float him some more money.

Teggy

Can't link at the moment but word is the push for the Bill stuff comes from Bannon because he's got a bunch of teenage girls at Breitbart who weren't aware of Monica Lewinsky, so he figured millennials needed to be educated.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can't link at the moment but word is the push for the Bill stuff comes from Bannon because he's got a bunch of teenage girls at Breitbart who weren't aware of Monica Lewinsky, so he figured millennials needed to be educated.

I heard that. Breitbart has been publishing (or pushing for the publication of) books like Clinton Cash in the last few years.

Gruco

Banned
How many times have we seen this? Dude has has 102329 run ending scandals, but nothing sticks

This is bigger than most, but I kinda sorta agree. Trump U is also criminal. So is the Trump Foundation.

There's never going to be That One Thing That Sinks His Campaign but I think we've learned this cycle that these stories and his subsequent freakouts hurt him in the polls. The goal is to simply play the full court press until November. And let the justice system take over from there. Because seriously.

aaaaa0

Holy shit,

What if this is all due to him going to Cuba to try to get a business deal, and Castro TURNING HIM DOWN.

His ego won't let Castro be the one that rejected him, so now he's forced to say he's the one that rejects deals with Cuba, which explains his suddenly ultra strong support of the embargo.

If the meeting had gone the other way, would Trump have been lobbying to end the embargo? Hmmmm?

Slayven

This is bigger than most, but I kinda sorta agree. Trump U is also criminal. So is the Trump Foundation.

There's never going to be That One Thing That Sinks His Campaign but I think we've learned this cycle that these stories and his subsequent freakouts hurt him in the polls. The goal is to simply play the full court press until November. And let the justice system take over from there. Because seriously.

I kinda hope if he loses there is a line of government agencies with warrants waiting for him.

Funny, I would have thought Stein was the one into witchcraft

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Trump is gonna have to start shilling crap at Walmart and convert all his buildings to time-share condos. Because the nuevo riche and 30,000 dollar millionaires his brand has been appealing to for the last 30 years are not going to be interested in the association anymore.

Wilsongt

CtfHgngWYAARvU9.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK

If this is true... Lol. And people want to ding Clinton for admiring Sanger.

Trump is gonna have to start shilling crap at Walmart and convert all his buildings to time-share condos. Because the nuevo riche and 30,000 dollar millionaires his brand has been appealing to for the last 30 years are not going to be interested in the association anymore.
Nouveau riche. Nuevo riche is bargain brand nacho salsa

mo60

I think it's more the big events that hurt him. If hilary has a good convention or debate and starts to do really well in polls trump starts to freak out and says crazy things. People like Machado and Khan help drive him crazy to.

Phased

This has been a year of "This will surely end Trump now!" moments, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

With that said Florida is already leaning Hillary anyways and if this even gives it a 1 point nudge, it's over. Not even counting the rest of the electoral map which looks pretty bad for him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is also such an easy thing to hit him on. Cuba will come up at the town hall, and if it doesn't it's really easy to squeeze this into an answer on business.

Time for him to start selling gold painted Roman columns made of foam

I have to wonder what his campaign team is doing.

Are they trying to break his denial, so he'll course correct?
Are they trying to talk around it and still get him to course correct?
Are they in denial?
Or is Trump aware of how badly he did and just putting on an act?

I'm going for choice #2.

I'd argue the current Trump is the same one that soured on Manafort around the time his numbers took a huge hit. Trump, when wounded, acts like a child who limps back to his safe space to get coddled. The write-up of Trump running back to the spin room once the debate was over shows this. He ran to get back into that bubble.

I think he knows that he'll lose, so he's going to ride this thing out with sycophants around him instead of people pushing and prodding to get his numbers higher. Remember, he doesn't care at all if the GOP holds Congress, so he's not interested in improving if it means he'll still lose. Comfort is king to Trump.

The absurd othering is pretty much a function of how the human brain processes information, unfortunately. We're constantly looking for patterns, even unconsciously. This is obviously helpful for breaking down complex information into manageable chunks; "what features does this thing have in common with other things that I already know about" helps simplify learning new things. The problem is that our brain doesn't differentiate between doing that with objects or concepts and doing it with people or groups. That leads to stereotypes, and negative stereotypes quickly become prejudice unless we intentionally force ourselves to think about things in a different way than our brain typically works. Most people are content to be intellectually lazy because it takes a tremendous amount of effort to restructure your thinking every time you have to consider new people or groups, and unfortunately that allows prejudice to flourish. Fortunately this type of thinking goes away when people are confronted with individuals who don't fit into their established stereotypes; social conservatives tend to be a lot more compassionate towards gay people if they have a gay son or daughter, for example. Unfortunately, we tend to self-segregate (which is another function of this intellectual laziness), so we are inadvertently allowing our own stereotypes to go unchecked. It's not a problem with a simple solution, unfortunately, but it's not fair to assume that it's only a function of "conservative" thinking; we all do it on a certain level (although not to the level of "establishing an enemy" obviously).

I wouldn't necessarily call it laziness though. As a mathematician, my entire field exists to strip things down to their barest features so that they can be more easily classified. This is true for a lot of academic endeavors, I'd wager. If you can set up very broad categories that you can still totally describe, then you don't need to roll up your sleeves and get into it.

It's essentially the scene in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs where the reporter keeps asking "Can it make X?" and the scientist has to say, "Since X is a food, yes" over and over again.

The problem is that our classifications have gotten hitched around wedge issues that will never be resolved. I mean, I'd love to say that my mother and I agreed on something political, but she's pro-life, and will never ever budge on that. To her, it's literally murder. I can't reason with that, and there's no compromise ground there. She will never vote for a Democrat for as long as she lives since they kill babies (her words obviously). Never gonna happen.

The worst thing that can happen politically is to bring a wedge issue to the forefront. Then you've created a situation where everyone has an "other" and you'll never find common ground.*

*The obvious caveat is that eventually you have to get around to discussing these issues, but there's a ton of shit we could do beforehand that could involve compromise and progress.

Gruco

Banned
I think it's more the big events that hurt him. If hilary has a good convention or debate and starts to do really well in polls trump starts to freak out and says crazy things. People like Machado and Khan help drive him crazy to.

Yeah, polling badly is a vicious cycle for him.

Curiel, insane Pulse ranting, terrible polling in late June -----> Lewandowski fired

Post conventions, Khan freakout -----> Manafort fired

Post debate, Machado freakout, Cuba story -----> ?????

Debirudog

Yeah, polling badly is a vicious cycle for him.

Curiel, insane Pulse ranting, terrible polling in late June -----> Lewandowski fired

Post conventions, Khan freakout -----> Manafort fired

Post debate, Machado freakout, Cuba sotry -----> ?????

Fire Conway and double down with Bannon and Ailes!

Emarv

i think this is still why the media corporation makes the most sense. nobody is going to want to do business with him after all of this comes out. The only thing he has left is this new viewer base he's established.

So around all the alt-right shitpost sites a pro poker player Mike Matusow is making the rounds claiming that Hillary was giving hand signals to Holt during the debate.

Ladies and gentlemen, the brave hero that is exposing Hillary to the world and going to change the results of the election singlehandedly by uncovering this diabolical conspiracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xJBVJv_q8

I'd like to think this is how all the_donald users act in real life even when they subscribe to the "ultra machismo" of their supreme leader.

I'm all for showing emotion but the attempt to stroke his ego at the end was something else.

So when Donald loses, what is his role in American politics going to be?

Romney still holds clout with the financial wing of the party, McCain is a senator, Kerry is SoS... Gore was[/] in the spotlight when An Inconvenient Truth was out though he's largely shrunken from public life. Even Dole was resurrected for the RNC this year!

So what does Trump do? He's never been elected before. He has his brand, though it's tarnished. Does he critique Hillary on Fox & Friends? Threaten to run in 2020? Trump TV? He has an almost cult-like following with the millions who voted for him in the primary. Where does he take them?

Gruco

Banned

Romney still holds clout with the financial wing of the party, McCain is a senator, Kerry is SoS... Gore was[/] in the spotlight when An Inconvenient Truth was out though he's largely shrunken from public life. Even Dole was resurrected for the RNC this year!

So what does Trump do? He's never been elected before. He has his brand, though it's tarnished. Does he critique Hillary on Fox & Friends? Threaten to run in 2020? Trump TV? He has an almost cult-like following with the millions who voted for him in the primary. Where does he take them?

8 years from now we'll be bringing him up as an example of the good old days, because as awful as he is, the GOP will find a way to nominate someone even more monstrous to rehabilitate his image by moving everyone's standards of what it means to be truly irredeemably awful

See also: Bush, George W.

Piecake

My hope is that he will be in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom