• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
After digesting the hammering in hempstead, I had a thought about it. I noticed that a lot of very "ugggghhh hilary" bernie people made a full 180 after that debate and were boosting here in a big way on my facebook feeds. I think she managed to tap into something really stong with that performance, she managed to bring down a bully.

The contrast of lumbering, angry trump, trying to talk over her and bully her, while hilary just nimbly hip tossed him played out like a sports movie. It was satisfying, because it hit that perfect, "Noble skill defeating brutish force." It felt like a movie comeback, and I think that really resonated and excited people in a way that a standard kind of factual performance wouldn't.

There were some polls pointing to millenials being especially impressed by her in the debate, and I think that narrative of triumphing over the bully is why.

Nate Silver Retweeted
Adam H. Johnson ‏@adamjohnsonNYC 35 minutes ago
538 misloaded and showed me the future

CtfV7XBWAAAUYql.jpg

Hug your loved ones one last time, folks.

The failing NYT has a piece about dumb millennials voting for Governor Aleppo and DR WiFi.
“Ralph who?” said David Frasier, a junior at Charleston Southern University.

“Didn’t he kind of come in at the last minute and kind of alter the votes or something?” Mr. Frasier, 26, asked, his memory barely jogged. “I was too young to remember.”
Too young to remember, so it probably didn't matter. Like WWII. Maybe that's why he's a 26 year old college Junior...
Nick Chanko, 20, is a student at McGill University in Montreal who plans to vote in his home state, New York. A registered Democrat, he said he would either vote for Ms. Stein or not vote at all.

“I feel like a lot of the stuff Hillary does, you can see when she is trying to, like, earn the youth vote, and it just doesn’t work,” Mr. Chanko said. “It’s just kind of cringeworthy. She just doesn’t seem genuine.”
Trying isn't cool, nerdlinger.
Nathan Mowery, a 26-year-old federal contractor who lives in Gainesville, Va., said that as a Muslim, he would find it hard to vote for Mr. Trump. But he said that he found Mrs. Clinton uninspiring and that he planned to vote instead for a third-party candidate. He was unapologetic about his choice.
She's uninspiring so it's worth a ban on Muslims.

Phased

After digesting the hammering in hempstead, I had a thought about it. I noticed that a lot of very "ugggghhh hilary" bernie people made a full 180 after that debate and were boosting here in a big way on my facebook feeds. I think she managed to tap into something really stong with that performance, she managed to bring down a bully.

The contrast of lumbering, angry trump, trying to talk over her and bully her, while hilary just nimbly hip tossed him played out like a sports movie. It was satisfying, because it hit that perfect, "Noble skill defeating brutish force." It felt like a movie comeback, and I think that really resonated and excited people in a way that a standard kind of factual performance wouldn't.

There were some polls pointing to millenials being especially impressed by her in the debate, and I think that narrative of triumphing over the bully is why.

Up until now he has only debated other very weak candidates in the Primary. Every single one of them had no clue how to handle his rambling, his insults or his complete inability to tell the truth. He coasted through them cause he tilted them so hard.

This time he went against someone with a ton of debate experience who knows a shit load about policy and the stats to support them. She stayed on message, largely ignored him and even laughed him off sometimes which completely flustered him.

If the post-debate bump shapes up to be +4 or so like it's looking I honestly half expect him to skip the next ones and claim they're rigged.

Boke1879

The failing NYT has a piece about dumb millennials voting for Governor Aleppo and DR WiFi.
Too young to remember, so it probably didn't matter. Like WWII. Maybe that's why he's a 26 year old college Junior...

I've said it before. If people don't want get out and vote or resort to 3rd party and vote against their interests. If this man becomes president IMO they deserve the hell his presidency would bring.

Slizeezyc

Jill Stein totes isn't cringe-y when appealing to the youth vote.

In some respects Gary Johnson unable to name a single foreign leader is worse than the Palin moment. It's worse because he says "umm, former president of Mexico!", which he then couldn't name. But the world will judge Johnson less harshly. "oh he must have had a brain freeze. He's a man, of course he knows things! That Palin however, what a dumb dumb LOL"

Holmes

I think the whole inspiring thing was important to me when it was 2008 and I was 17. But now I'm eight years older with a full time job, pay my own bills and I pay rent, and I'm hoping to be able to get a house soon. I went through the soul crushing process of immigrating to this county. I don't necessarily want someone inspiring because I already know what I want, so I want someone whose plans would best help me achieve that and would be able to deliver.

royalan

I'm not complaining anymore. Hillary's addressed it, and if she stays the course of addressing her base (which includes millennials) like she has since the debate, she'll be "inspiring" soon enough.

The unintentionally hilarious Mar J Blige clip, while somewhat an embarrassing moment, is actually playing well for her from what I've seen. More of what she's NOW doing and she's good. My faith has been restored.

Bowdz

I'm not complaining anymore. Hillary's addressed it, and if she stays the course of addressing her base (which includes millennials) like she has since the debate, she'll be "inspiring" soon enough.

The unintentionally hilarious Mar J Blige clip, while somewhat an embarrassing moment, is actually playing well for her from what I've seen. More of what she's NOW doing and she's good. My faith has been restored.

Agreed.

Although I haven't had a chance to watch the full joint rally with Bernie, I think it is a blueprint for her going forward based off the reception I've seen. She needs to keep doing joint rallies with the popular surrogates and feed off them. Campaign with Bernie one day, Warren the next, Obama the next, Michelle the next, Biden the next, etc. all the way up until the election.

I'm loving this focused approach to the campaign now though. It plays to her strengths as opposed to her pre DNC approach which reinforced the negative perceptions Berners had about her (going after GOP support).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That is legitimately horrifying. The parallels are even really parallels: Trump is straight up Hitler reincarnate.

He very clearly uses plays out of the Hitler playbook. His talk about illegal immigrants is more or less the same tactic Hitler used by blaming everything on Jews to bring Germans over to his side.

If he becomes president all it takes is one issue with an isis operative in the states and I guarantee you'll start hearing about how measures have to be taken that we haven't had to do before to habdle the problem of extreme islamism. Maybe it starts with monitoring, but it will only escalate.

Just replace the swasika with pepe the frog and you've got a fascist stew going.

Her base has never been millennials. It's women, and people of color, and the gays.

But most millennials are just #I'mnotwithhim.

She has to win a portion of them to win. She also has to win a bunch of seniors. And white men.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nick Chanko, 20, is a student at McGill University in Montreal who plans to vote in his home state, New York. A registered Democrat, he said he would either vote for Ms. Stein or not vote at all.

“I feel like a lot of the stuff Hillary does, you can see when she is trying to, like, earn the youth vote, and it just doesn’t work,” Mr. Chanko said. “It’s just kind of cringeworthy. She just doesn’t seem genuine.”
Nothing screams genuine like Jill Stein's Harambe memes.

Just read this NYTimes price on a new Hitler biography and I'm chilled inside.

I know, I know. Godwin's law etc. These echoes are creepy.

That reminds me of this image I came across the other day:

new-york-nazis-1938-long-island-german-american-bund-2.jpg

70f542d5-c24a-4322-9a22-6d608b85e316.jpg

That's a Nazi rally in Madison Square Garden in 1938. They really liked Washington. It's scary to think about how close this shit was to taking root in the US. Lindberg's America First movement (sound familiar?) was pretty popular.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone on the Democratic side "unskewing" the polls as Silver keeps mentioning on twitter? He keeps bringing this up, and I feel like Jim Carrey in that gif going "who the hell are you talking to?"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Out of curiosity, is there anyone on the Democratic side "unskewing" the polls as Silver keeps mentioning on twitter? He keeps bringing this up, and I feel like Jim Carrey in that gif going "who the hell are you talking to?"

I don't think i've seen a post here applying any refactoring of numbers.
Just criticisms of polls themselves.

In some respects Gary Johnson unable to name a single foreign leader is worse than the Palin moment. It's worse because he says "umm, former president of Mexico!", which he then couldn't name. But the world will judge Johnson less harshly. "oh he must have had a brain freeze. He's a man, of course he knows things! That Palin however, what a dumb dumb LOL"

People don't care as much because Palin was the VP nominee for a major party with a solid chance of winning and Gary Johnson is a third party candidate whose chances of winning are statistically the same as yours. He's not a legitimate threat to bring his dangerous ignorance to the White House; Palin certainly was.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That is legitimately horrifying. The parallels are even really parallels: Trump is straight up Hitler reincarnate.

there are some parallels but, reincarnate is a bit too much imo.

Call me when Trump when has a security force that he uses to intimidate political rivals, or when he burns down Congress to gain power. Hitler was on a whole other level of crazy.

Gruco

Banned

Weirdly I seem to remember one of the guys who ran one of the major election web sites (don't remember which one) unskewing a ton during the primaries. As I recall it was a sort of weird unskewing system. The basic approach was to throw away all the poll numbers and replace them with endorsement tallies. And then make lazy allusions to Herman Cain to justify it.

From what I recall, the guy spent six months living in denial, graping at straws, and snarking at anyone who pointed out his obvious failings at inference.

I assume that much like Dean Chambers people just stopped paying attention to him after that.

benjipwns

Banned
So I was listening to Thom Hartmann today (sue me benji), and he recounted that back when Mike Pence was a conservative radio host (10 or so years ago), he debated Pence and basically admitted that he got a thrashing.
I'm actually shocked Thom is self-aware enough to know that he's often an idiot even when debating lightweights.

Thom getting completely annihilated by not understanding sarcasm at the start of this segment and being thrown off from then on was my favorite for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmJRKQn_Bs

Then years later he immediately cut off a guest for calling him "fucking mad" for thinking GMO's have been proven to alter human DNA lol

benjipwns

Banned
He couldn't name a single foreign leader he admired, not one. It was amaze-balls. Then he said "I guess I'm having an Aleppo moment."
I probably couldn't name a single foreign leader I admire.

Or a domestic one for that matter.

Do we mean current or like in all of history?

EDIT: Nevermind found it:
Chris Matthews asked Johnson, who was sitting with his running mate, Bill Weld, to pick one foreign leader that he looks up to.

Johnson struggled to answer, and Weld swooped in.

"Mine was Shimon Peres," Weld said, naming the former Israeli president who died Tuesday.

"I'm talking about living," Matthews quipped, pointing back to Johnson who sat quietly.

"You gotta do this," Matthews goaded. "Anywhere. Any continent. Canada, Mexico, Europe, over there, Asia, South America, Africa: Name a foreign leader that you respect."

Weirdly I seem to remember one of the guys who ran one of the major election web sites (don't remember which one) unskewing a ton during the primaries. As I recall it was a sort of weird unskewing system. The basic approach was to throw away all the poll numbers and replace them with endorsement tallies. And then make lazy allusions to Herman Cain to justify it.

From what I recall, the guy spent six months living in denial, graping at straws, and snarking at anyone who pointed out his obvious failings at inference.

I assume that much like Dean Chambers people just stopped paying attention to him after that.

That seems really strange and sad. Next you're going to tell me that the guys you're thinking of said Trump had a better chance of being in another Home Alone sequel or playing in the NBA finals. That's just crazy talk.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

benjipwns

Banned
So you say someone safe like Aung San Suu Kyi (who he probably doesn't know)
It didn't come off like he wasn't naming someone because he was being tactful, it looked like he couldn't name anyone period.
See like you can't ask me this because I'd say something like Teodoro Obiang Nguema. Or Kim Jong-un.

They really unify their people who look up to them.

I also have it on good authority that Obiang is actually god himself and can send people to hell.

I am sorry to inform you that you have lost my vote for President.
I'm running for Vice President in 2020, not President.

Wilsongt

Be still my beating heart, Sam Bee. She even put in something I didn't notice: Megyn Kelly throwing extreme shade at Hannity. Yaaas

Gruco

Banned
Dems up 5 in the generic ballot per PPP.

Hopefully the Superfriends blitz + oppo research vault has enough to keep pushing the needle for this home stretch. Will be interesting to watch how far this latest round of Trump backsliding takes us, as well as how thoroughly team Hilldawg has October gamed out.

Holmes

I'd like to see that "what is your favorite foreign leader" question asked at the next debate. I know Hillary will answer with Aung San Suu Kyi and Trump with Putin but I'd love to hear them explain themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom