• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

House/Senate pass Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act bill.

Obama vetoes the bill, saying that it would open up US interests abroad to prosecution.

House/Senate ignore Obama, and override the veto.

TODAY:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/mitch-mcconnell-saudi-9-11-bill-228903
McConnell's dodging personal responsibility for the bill's effects when the White House vetoed it... I'd say I'm shocked at the nerve, but him being an asshole isn't even news anymore.

@IAStartingLine
Polk Co Auditor says 330 people early voted in Polk before the rally got over. Now lots of people here in line from the rally

Long lines now in Polk County.

Also:

@HillaryforIA
When Ruline Steininger was born, women couldn't vote. Today, at 103, she's #WithHerFirst.

CtiV-KsUMAA10qE.jpg

Joeytj

Banned
Swing state Texas, baby

Even just "too early to call" would be awesome

It was "too early to call" in 2008, IIRC. Wasn't very close in the end, but it was the smallest margin of victory for Republicans since the 5 point difference in 1996, and a 3 point difference in 1992.

Iolo

So what's the likelihood some nutjob is gonna show up at the town hall and ask Clinton why she killed Ben Ghazi

The questions are pre-screened as far as I know.

Don't forget, half the questions come from the moderators, like a traditional debate (albeit one where the candidates may circle each other like Kirk and Spock fighting to the death (spoiler: Hillary wins, but Trump is not dead, just knocked out)). So crazy questions about Killary are out but expect Hillary to be challenged very hard.

Touting event size as reasons why you're winning an election still seems like the most desperate thing, but then they started proclaiming unscientific online (*cough*rigged) polls so I guess that isn't as bad?

NeoXChaos

Iowa Starting Line ‏@IAStartingLine 10m10 minutes ago
Polk Co Auditor says 330 people early voted in Polk before the rally got over. Now lots of people here in line from the rally

Trump isnt doing that Is he?

I mean, anything can happen between now and election day, but the next debate is a town hall debate. Trump isn't personable. Like, AT ALL. Can't show humility. Can't show empathy. He's not capable of doing it. Everything gets twisted back around to him and his "success."

I would be absolutely stunned if Trump ended up looking better than Hillary at the next debate.
I am very eager to see how Trump is going to impose himself in Hillary's space. Like he's going to walk over to her and start screaming at her while pointing his tiny finger, his spittle flying on her face. It's going to be 10 times worse than Al Gore nonchalantly intruding W's zone lol.

NeoXChaos

http://iowastartingline.com/2016/09/29/the-state-of-iowas-early-vote-and-how-it-all-works/

What To Watch Next

Despite the awful-looking early vote numbers right now, Democrats may yet rebound. Once their in-person early vote push gets going, these numbers could jump significantly. And a very key number to watch is the return rate. If the requested ballots come back in quickly, campaign and staff will have more time to push people to other early vote sites. This weekend is particularly important to all volunteers – collecting ballots as soon as they come out is crucial, and a lot will be hitting mailboxes over the next few days.

Still, it’s difficult not to be extremely concerned over the state of Iowa Democrats’ ground game. If these numbers are indicative of very low voter enthusiasm on the left, Democrats could get routed at all levels in a state where the party is already struggling.

Clinton’s visit today will bring significant visibility to the importance of Democrats voting early. It’s going to take an all-out effort from volunteers and staff to get the early vote totals back to where they need to be. For anyone who’s stayed on the sidelines, this is the time to get involved.

If you want to follow along, the Secretary of State posts their updated numbers here each day. This other page shows you the daily numbers from 2012. Remember, Election Day is two days later this year, so you would compare September 28, 2016 numbers to September 26, 2012 numbers.

shem935

Banned
House/Senate pass Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act bill.

Obama vetoes the bill, saying that it would open up US interests abroad to prosecution.

House/Senate ignore Obama, and override the veto.

TODAY:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/mitch-mcconnell-saudi-9-11-bill-228903

Lol.

Bams: "Gonna Veto this because it might harm US interests overseas"
*Overides*
........"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US THIS WAS A BAD IDEA?! SHAME ON YOU!"

Edit: That bill is like a perfect representation of what's wrong with politics. The optics of not wanting to vote against a bill for 9/11 victims trump common sense and caution.

I am very eager to see how Trump is going to impose himself in Hillary's space. Like he's going to walk over to her and start screaming at her while pointing his tiny finger, his spittle flying on her face. It's going to be 10 times worse than Al Gore nonchalantly intruding W's zone lol.

In the town hall, the candidates can wander around if they want while talking, so it's going to be interesting to see how Trump carries himself

This is killing me. Obama stay winning.

I'm shocked Obama's judgment was the correct choice in the end. Absolutely shocked.

I bet he's furious at senate Democrats

Debirudog

Maybe Trump believed that his downfall was that he wasn't being enough of a bully, so he'll start calling her Crooked Hillary in front of her.

Emarv

In the town hall, the candidates can wander around if they want while talking, so it's going to be interesting to see how Trump carries himself

I'm shocked Obama's judgment was the correct choice in the end. Absolutely shocked.

I bet he's furious at senate Democrats

That White House response is such great condescension.

“It’s hard to take at face value the suggestion that they were unaware of the consequences of their vote, but even if they were, what’s true in elementary school is true in the United States Congress ignorance is not an excuse — particularly when it comes to our national security and the safety and security of our diplomats and our service members," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters on Thursday.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That White House response is such great condescension.

Translation: "You dumb motherfuckers, I told you about this shit how many times now? Blaming my ass for your three-year-old selves. Fuck out of here with that bullcrap. Just another mess I've got to clean up, wipe you own damn ass for once."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lol.

Bams: "Gonna Veto this because it might harm US interests overseas"
*Overides*
........"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US THIS WAS A BAD IDEA?! SHAME ON YOU!"

Edit: That bill is like a perfect representation of what's wrong with politics. The optics of not wanting to vote against a bill for 9/11 victims trump common sense and caution.
It's more like they were afraid of not voting against Saudi Arabia. Since Republicans have a history of voting against healthcare for the first responders.

I think Senate Democrats were afraid of ads against them saying "WHY DID THIS PERSON VOTE AGAINST 9-11 VICTIMS" because you know the GOP would run those

And explaining why this was a bad law to the average voter is pretty much impossible to do

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It's more like they were afraid of not voting against Saudi Arabia. Since Republicans have a history of voting against healthcare for the first responders.

Considering this vote was 97-1; gonna say republicans and democrat alignment had nothing to do with it.

Translation: "You dumb motherfuckers, I told you about this shit how many times now? Blaming my ass for your three-year-old selves. Fuck out of here with that bullcrap. Just another mess I've got to clean up, wipe you own damn ass for once."

I'm missing something, are some senators/congressman now changing their tune on supporting the bill?

I doubt the Cuba thing will have any teeth. People seem to care more when Trump is openly insulting and name calling rather than committing any substantive crimes.

Did not want to hear bad news about Iowa today (or ever).

Not about the rest of the country--it's about Cubans in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom