• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
When you're getting about 40% of the country to believe our media business and reporting livelihood is a sham to hurt your chances at the presidency, you bet I'd pull no punches when the chance comes

Diablos

Don't overdo it with Machado, Hillary. Just like Khan, it's a strong example as to how toxic Trump is and puts his hateful rhetoric front and center exposed for what it really is.. but don't hide behind it indefinitely until the next debate.

mo60

That poll also interviewed people in Michigan about the debate and this is what they had to say about it.

About 52 percent of likely voters said Clinton won Monday’s 90-minute slug fest at Hofstra University in New York, while 20 percent said Trump prevailed. Among Trump voters, 45 percent said he won, while 88 percent of Clinton’s voters said she won the debate, Czuba said.

Even trump voters in Michigan thought he did really awful in that debate.

Gruco

Banned
Don't overdo it with Machado, Hillary. Just like Khan, it's a strong example as to how toxic Trump is and puts his hateful rhetoric front and center exposed for what it really is.. but don't hide behind it indefinitely until the next debate.

Well the VP debate is Tuesday, and there are already basically too many stories for Machado to dominate the headlines until then.

Khan was perfect. Fought back aggressively and quietly slipped away after the point was made.

Things move fast at this stage of the game. Debate a week for the next three weeks. I' m imagining Trump will be on full tilt over that time frame. My hope is that the Clinton campaign has something planned for the period between the 19th and the 8th. Three weekends in that time frame....enough room for a major oppo drop, a major endorsement, and an infomercial? I'd take any one.

Diablos

VP debate is different though. I agree Khan was effective but I just mean don't allow the side story to do all or most of the work after a week or so.

Bowdz

Well the VP debate is Tuesday, and there are already basically too many stories for Machado to dominate the headlines until then.

Khan was perfect. Fought back aggressively and quietly slipped away after the point was made.

Things move fast at this stage of the game. Debate a week for the next three weeks. I' m imagining Trump will be on full tilt over that time frame. My hope is that the Clinton campaign has something planned for the period between the 19th and the 8th. Three weekends in that time frame....enough room for a major oppo drop, a major endorsement, and an infomercial? I'd take any one.

UanBR.png

I doubt Republican leadership would have to if there was a clear case for impeachment. But yea, I agree that the fear of being primaried could result in us not seeing it happen. Problem is, is that is a further tarnish of the Republican brand. If impeachable charges are filed against Trump by the NY AG there will be a huge clamor for impeachment. Not going along with that will hurt Republicans deeply because it will seem like they will be putting party over country.

Also, I really don't see this as a career ending move for Ryan either. He looks to be in a pretty safe district, both from primaries and general elections. Moreover, he can play the moral high ground, which would be good national cred. If he throws his hat in the ring for the presidency, he wasn't going to get a lot of support from Trumpkins anyways. His support will come from mainstream Republicans and evangelicals. Impeaching Trump isn't going to hurt him there. It might actually help him.

Look at the recent history of Republican House leadership and then tell me that any Speaker is safe if he acts defiantly against the Republican base and Freedom caucus. And I'm presuming that Ryan has actual ambitions of being nominated for President, in which case leading the impeachment of a Republican President and coming together with Democrats to do so is a death-knell. You're mad to think that a Ryan that acted in such a way would win an electorate that favored Trump and Cruz. And I kind of doubt the legal actions against Trump would ever reach a point where this even be on the table for a Republican Congress.

Zeeman

Looking at the top ranked questions, you can tell the_donald has been there for some of them:

Globalism, why do you support it or oppose it and why?

Globalism is for elimination of borders and sovereignty supposedly for cooperation for trade and eliminating wars, but Islam supports solely sharia law, seeking to make it the global standard.

e: lol

How can we prevent the BLM from inciting riots and harm to police?

The BLM is agitating citizens therefore causing attacks on police. People like George Soros are funding the BLM that is causing violence in America.

The next debate is only 10 days away though. Or 6 more days of weekday politicking. But really, it's probably 5 days since we will talk about the VPs for at least a day. I agree that she shouldn't coast on this one but I don't see why it would hurt her if she does.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to effectively word my question given the character limit restrictions.

Would really love to head off the affair conversation with a trap like:

"As two religious people that have had to deal with very public cases of marital infidelity; how has infidelity affected the relationship with your faith and how has faith helped you cope with being forced to experience such personal matters publicly."

Revolver

I hope Hill's team have more surprises for Trump like Machado for the remaining debates. I'd like her to drop something out of the blue like that at each debate and hear him saying "Where did you find this?" over and over and the campaign forced to deal with it for days on end each time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I hope Hill's team have more surprises for Trump like Machado for the remaining debates. I'd like her to drop something out of the blue like that at each debate and hear him saying "Where did you find this?" over and over and the campaign forced to deal with it for days on end each time.

When he kept saying that I lost my shit. I couldn't stop laughing.

Cerium

The Machado thing was very surgical, a deliberate attempt to recreate what we might call the Khan cycle where Trump just keeps digging and digging because he refuses to ignore bait or admit any wrongdoing ever. It was also designed to hurt him with women and latinos, two groups that the analytics team have no doubt singled out.

What other groups will they target, I wonder?

Hillary needs to hone her answers on trade IMO. She needs to talk about the fact that wage growth is unrelated to trade deals, but with taxation. Talk about her manufacturing plan. She needs to strike the back at Trump when he talks about companies building stuff overseas, and bring his made-in-china ties into question. She needs to bring up how tariffs increase the cost of goods on consumers. Talk it in human terms, like how the price of every item will increase in your local grocery store if Trump has his way. There is no offset elsewhere.

Media is too eager to give the first 30 minutes to Trump, which I find exceedingly ridiculous.

There's probably a ton of times he's bilked white working class people. Or called them names. The campaign just needs one that's succinct and salient.

It won't necessarily get them voting for her. But it might stop them voting for him.

Edit: nuanced answers on the benefits of trade aren't going to work.

The Machado thing was very surgical, a deliberate attempt to recreate what we might call the Khan cycle where Trump just keeps digging and digging because he refuses to ignore bait or admit any wrongdoing ever. It was also designed to hurt him with women and latinos, two groups that the analytics team have no doubt singled out.

What other groups will they target, I wonder?
Central Park Five on a death penalty question hopefully.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary needs to hone her answers on trade IMO. She needs to talk about the fact that wage growth is unrelated to trade deals, but with taxation. Talk about her manufacturing plan. She needs to strike the back at Trump when he talks about companies building stuff overseas, and bring his made-in-china ties into question. She needs to bring up how tariffs increase the cost of goods on consumers. Talk it in human terms, like how the price of every item will increase in your local grocery store if Trump has his way. There is no offset elsewhere.

Media is too eager to give the first 30 minutes to Trump, which I find exceedingly ridiculous.

They're giving it to him because he didn't completely implode and they don't want it all to be over so soon.

DOWN

Banned
Texting my dad who says I'm not seeing the big picture, citing Bill meeting with Attorney General on plane. I replied with a link to some priceless quotes Comey gave in the follow-up hearing after the FBI released their recommendation.

They're giving it to him because he didn't completely implode and they don't want it all to be over so soon.
Right but if he had not imploded for a little longer the media would have called it a draw. He has laughably low bar to clear whereas Hillary has to pole vault olympic standards basically. The first 30 or so minutes were about trade, NAFTA/TPP and loss of jobs in rust belt.

Eh it wasn't trade that was hurt her. It was her not answering "why haven't you done it for the last 30 years" she needs to say she has. That was a good line by Trump tbh even if it's bullshit. Point to work she helped upstate NY, things she did a as first lady and some kind of trade thing at state that benefited American workers.

I'd love to see a succinct breakout from the issues of trade and jobs, because Trump heavily associates the two and they aren't really heavily linked in terms of policy.

aaaaa0

Edit: nuanced answers on the benefits of trade aren't going to work.

Neither are "Well that's your opinion.", "Well that is just not accurate." "There are different views about what's good for our country."

She really need to prepare more specific, forceful answers to his trade attacks than she had during the debate.

I think that the first 30 minutes going the way that they did was a direct effect of Clinton's overall strategy. No matter what the subject was, I think Clinton was going to lay back and needle Trump. She wasn't going to waste time defending herself or fighting on his turf.

Instead she repeatedly called him Donald, which infuriates him and attacked the idea that he was a self made man. Once she landed enough punches to put him off balance, she could move on to engaging him more directly. This way, she assures that she only goes toe to toe with an off balance Trump who will be far more predictable and easy to deal with.

Someone on MSNBC compared the debate to a bullfight and I think that metaphor works quite well. You don't fight the Bull at first. You poke it and prod it to enrage it, then you style on it and kill it. It's a process that makes the bull look pathetic and the matador look suave.

Bloomers

I'm not a frequent visitor to this community thread (hello!) but I have a question.

Are voter registration records supposed to be made public?

Cerium

oh
Well shit

So much for privacy. Guess I should've read the fine print (and went independent...)
Family found out you were a closet liberal?

I mean you could register as a Republican and all it would mean is that (in most states) you wouldn't vote in the Dem primaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom